• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Via The Verge:
The company is said to be testing "versions" of the 2019 iPhone lineup that use USB-C ports instead of the company's own Lightning connector. Gurman doesn't say that Apple is definitively planning to make the switch, but the tests at least show they're seriously considering it. Faster processors and an "updated Face ID sensor" are also in the plans.
This would be huge if true.

Nov 30, 2018
Never has to replace mine

Cords also work fine

USB C is cool tho

Three camera with better AR is the real game changer

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Let's hope this means getting rid of the bloody thing on the iMac mouse and keyboard where it has never made any sense.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
I like lightning but this would be awesome.

I can't wait to use the same cable to charge my Switch, MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPad.

turbobutts

Oct 25, 2017
good, all of their other fucking devices use it

pretty stupid i can't connect my iphone or my earbuds that came with my iphone to my new macbook air without being in dongle hell

(are usb-c earbuds a thing? are they about to be?)

Oct 29, 2017
Anything to standardize USB-C. It's such promising tech but the inconsistency and the complete lack of standardization with respect to specs (e.g. power draw) is disappointingly terrible.

(are usb-c earbuds a thing? are they about to be?)

Like nearly everything else USB-C, they exist but device-phone compatibility is a fucking mess. Some devices work fine, some are fucky, some break shit.

Fergie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
England m8.
Hope it's true.

Would easily switch over to USB-C. Should increase adoption&standardization all over if Apple get on board too.

Oct 25, 2017
I said I'd hold out till 2020 with my X, but this would be the only thing to break me. I'll wait for now, but I am 100% ready to douse my pile of lightning cables on fire.

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see what more testing is required. They use it on the new iPads, so the switch is inevitable. Good riddance!

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine if they let you copy files from a computer to a phone with a USB cable.

Edit: can you do that on the iPad with USB-C?

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Do it Apple! Add an SD port too and I'll seriously consider getting your phones.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
I mean couldn't the same be said toward the same people for any tech changing standards in a future release?

Fuck you PS2 owners! Here's a PS3!

Fuck you PS3 owners! Here's a PS4!

Fuck you iPhone 4s owners! Here's an iPhone 5!

Fuck you Tesla Model S owners! Here's a Model 3!

Rinse and repeat to the end of time.

Feb 1, 2018
USB-C for iOS devices is a good idea.

I bet they'll keep lightning for accessories like the TV remote, keyboards, trackpads, airpods case, etc.

Last edited:

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Good for them. But, it sorta says fuck you to everyone that bought an iPhone in the past few years.

But Apple does that every couple of years anyway

See also: every time they change the connectors every couple of years and re release all the accessories and adapters. See also also: remove the headphone jack while launching expensive shite Bluetooth ear buds

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But lightning is the bestest connector ever... :(
It was.

When it came out.

Seven years ago.

See also: every time they change the connectors every couple of years and re release all the accessories and adapters.

The 30-pin connector was in new products for nine years and Lightning has been in new products for seven and counting. "Every couple of years" my ass.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If this is legit, I hope this carries over to the final product. USB Type-C on an iPhone would be a game-changer.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
But Apple does that every couple of years anyway

See also: every time they change the connectors every couple of years and re release all the accessories and adapters. See also also: remove the headphone jack while launching expensive shite Bluetooth ear buds
Every couple of years?
The 30-pin connector was used for 11 years. Lightening has been the standard for 7. Should they still be using the 30-pin?

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why not?

Jobs-era Apple loved their proprietary iPod port because....

...They could license proprietary speaker docks and other audio devices. Now with the big emphasis on bluetooth at Apple, that's no longer an option they have on lockdown.

...and so they can license proprietary charging devices. Now with the big emphasis on wireless charging at Apple, that's no longer an option they have on lockdown either.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine if they let you copy files from a computer to a phone with a USB cable.

Edit: can you do that on the iPad with USB-C?

No, sadly. I mean, you sorta can, but only through iTunes with a third party app, in the same way as you could with the Lightning iPads, or any iPhone I suppose.

There's talk that they might be introducing file management improvements - along with a new homescreen design - for the iPad in iOS13, so hopefully we'll get something then. Finally being able to plug a USB stick into my iPad and have it just work would be fantastic. (Though, uh, I'd hope they'd offer an adaptor for those of us with the old Lightning iPads. My Pro 10.5 isn't that old...)

Still the best..
That satisfying click.

USB-C is loose... wears out

Not to mention the absolute shit show going on with usb c standards.

For what it's worth, I've been using USB-C phones for the past four years or so, and I've never had a cable or port 'get loose'. I actually prefer it to my iPad's Lightning cable, which I've always found to take too much force to plug in--it's awkward if you're trying to do it with one hand, with nothing to brace the iPad against. (This is a surprisingly common scenario, I've found.)

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
thats cool, i have the option to upgrade now, but would rather wait for this years iteration.