• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Then you're either deluded or don't have any idea what you're talking about.

What's the problem with Micro USB? Please ellaborate. I actually haven't had any issues across a bunch of devices and cords, outside of cords fraying eventually (which has also happened with Lightning cables)

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
No, sadly. I mean, you sorta can, but only through iTunes with a third party app, in the same way as you could with the Lightning iPads, or any iPhone I suppose.

There's talk that they might be introducing file management improvements - along with a new homescreen design - for the iPad in iOS13, so hopefully we'll get something then. Finally being able to plug a USB stick into my iPad and have it just work would be fantastic. (Though, uh, I'd hope they'd offer an adaptor for those of us with the old Lightning iPads. My Pro 10.5 isn't that old...)
Fingers crossed maybe Apple will one day catch up to my phone from 2007.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't used my new phone's port in a couple of weeks. USB-C is the future for all devices though. Imagine just taking a single cable on a work trip for everything.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
2020 iPhones could potentially be pretty jacked. New 3D camera system, visual changes, updated Face ID/specs, 5G, maybe USB-C?

If you still own an X I'd wait for that.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I love my lightning to usb c cord but usb c to usb c is fine. Don't have to replace really anything.

Feb 1, 2018

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
What's the problem with Micro USB? Please ellaborate. I actually haven't had any issues across a bunch of devices and cords, outside of cords fraying eventually (which has also happened with Lightning cables)

It falls out easily, it isn't reversible and it's slow compared to lightning.

It's great that most devices shared the same cable but it was a subpar cable compared to lightning. USB C has finally caught up to lightning.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
interesting. i'd like to see what their reasoning is for switching or deciding against it.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
It falls out easily, it isn't reversible and it's slow compared to lightning.

It's great that most devices shared the same cable but it was a subpar cable compared to lightning. USB C has finally caught up to lightning.

Fair criticisms for sure.

An Apple proprietary cord was never going to be the industry standard though. For decades now Apple has been about having their own file formats, cords etc with no real interest in expanding these things beyond Apple products. My earliest experience with this was Apple just refusing to support FLAC files for example. It's just... How they do. Also why I'll never be all in on Apple (really enjoying our iPad 2018 though)

Going all in on USB C is a huge move for Apple, and pretty much seems to be in everyone's best interests.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would be excellent if true. It would be incredibly convenient if all newer phones charged with the same port.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Been off of iPhone for a couple years now but I still miss that nice solid connection that the lightning connector has. The wiggle in the USBc connector was really disappointing, also that there is still a plastic center tab inside it that the plug has to go around.

Deleted member 4518

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering I just got an iPhone XS last year this suuuuucks. However for the future it's a good thing if they end up doing it. I love me some USB-C.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Fair criticisms for sure.

An Apple proprietary cord was never going to be the industry standard though. For decades now Apple has been about having their own file formats, cords etc with no real interest in expanding these things beyond Apple products. My earliest experience with this was Apple just refusing to support FLAC files for example. It's just... How they do. Also why I'll never be all in on Apple (really enjoying our iPad 2018 though)

Going all in on USB C is a huge move for Apple, and pretty much seems to be in everyone's best interests.

I agree completely, I'm not saying that lightning should have been standard. Just that micro usb wasn't a good cable just because it was standard. I really hope they use usb c because it won't compromise on the quality. Unlike when people wanted them to use micro usb.

Feb 1, 2018
Is the rumor that Apple co-developed USB-C true, since it's so similar to lightning in shape and design? I remember reading about it a couple years ago.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Is the rumor that Apple co-developed USB-C true, since it's so similar to lightning in shape and design? I remember reading about it a couple years ago.

How is it similar? The port has a similar size but the whole concept is vastly different, is it not?

It's a 6s plus and yeah I've cleaned it fairly regularly.

That sucks. All troubles I ever had with power not coming through etc were fixed by cleaning the port. Never had issues with loose ports.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
How is it similar? The port has a similar size but the whole concept is vastly different, is it not?

That sucks. All troubles I ever had with power not coming through etc were fixed by cleaning the port. Never had issues with loose ports.
Mine still works fine. It's just loose. And the port is also super worn down.

From an aesthetic standpoint I wish they wouldn't use that white plastic for the port. It's super dirty and no amount of cleaning will ever restore it. Looks gross.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I agree completely, I'm not saying that lightning should have been standard. Just that micro usb wasn't a good cable just because it was standard. I really hope they use usb c because it won't compromise on the quality. Unlike when people wanted them to use micro usb.

Oh yeah asking any company to adopt a slower less capable port is just idiotic. Anyone with half a brain would realise Apple wouldn't do something so ridiculous!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I hate how loose some USB C connectors are in my mac. also the adapters seem super inconsistent with HDMI. It's all a work in progress though.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Lightning was a great connector. Form factor wise it's still probably the best but this is a good change and it's time.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean they already switched over for the iPad Pros so obviously this is coming to all iOS devices eventually.

RIP Lightning, you were a better physical connector than USB-C, but conforming to industry standards is better for the consumer overall.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Will they make shitty quality USB c cables as well?
I don't think Lightning cables are actually that shitty quality? It's a pretty standard cable quality.

I think iPhone cables are so numerous in quantity around us that you only see a lot of broken ones as a small % of a massive whole. It's like saying iPhones break easily, because you see a lot of broken ones, because there are a shit ton of iPhones in the first place.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Good even if it costs me a bit in cable replacements... but I still need lightning for my AirPods.

Now for a niche request: update the iMacs please!

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
lol. So about 2 months after they finally have a third party lightning to USB-C cable? Maybe they can also finally afford to include a higher than 5w charging solution as standard.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
I have to admit, I still find it easier to plug in lightening cables without looking or in the dark even though USB-C will probably be better overall.