• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Lightning was better than any other alternative at the time, and it's still a decent connector, but putting USB-C in there will finally give us a true universal connector. (Ethernet aside.)

This has been decades in the coming.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Never had any issues with Lightning ports or connectors, but having to bring just one cable with me sounds good.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Standards are good. Although work does need to be done on C with regards to compatibility with things like earbuds etc.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good time to switch over as there are finally finalized standards for audio and video over USB-3/C.

I just hope wired CarPlay is still compatible with existing vehicles.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Thank god. USB-C is the connector of the (immediate) future.

I kind of feel for those who will have to change and get all new adapters all over again, though.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Thank god. USB-C is the connector of the (immediate) future.

I doubt it's going to be immediate for most users. Non-pro iPad and whatever the XR successor is still seem to be on-track for Lightning this year, and even at the high end this report isn't sure of USB-C. The push for USB-C is still very vague; my bet is that they want an iPhone Pro (so, XS2, USBC) to go with the iPad Pro line, but everything else stays Lightning until they gradually phase them out.

Very interested to see if Apple has a gallium charger in the works, though; the iPad Pro charger is not big but it also is not small, and sadly doesn't use the slotted pin adapter.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Good. MicroUSB was hot garbage but USB-C is damn good. I support this change.

After switching to lightning folks would whine too much if Apple switched to USB-C so soon. But now? Yea, time is right.

What's the problem with Micro USB? Please ellaborate. I actually haven't had any issues across a bunch of devices and cords, outside of cords fraying eventually (which has also happened with Lightning cables)

1) It's not reversable so it can only be plugged in one way.
2) micro usb ports wear out quick as shit.
3) plug wears out quick as shit.

As bad as lightning cable fraying is the connector and ports themselves are 100% solid. USBC is solid and I welcome it.

Last edited:

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
When I travel my single MBP USB-C charger charges my

laptop
iPad
Switch
GoPro
Camera batteries

... I just want it to charge my phone, too.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Will they make shitty quality USB c cables as well?

Its expensive as hell but they make, as far as I can find, the only fully-featured USB-C cable. Thunderbolt 3 at 40Gbps, USB 3.1 at 10 Gbps, DisplayPort with HBR3, 100W USB-PD. Other cables I've found are either missing one piece of that (usually the 100W charging) or compromise on the speed in some way to get the cable longer.

No excuse for their charge cable that comes with iPad Pros/MacBooks being USB 2 however.

Last edited:

Poody

Oct 27, 2017
USB-C is the way to go. I'm glad Apple recognizes this will implement on future iPhones. The biggest flaw with the existing LC is that the copper conductors are exposed.

Oct 28, 2017
From a physical port standpoint, lightning was much better than micro-USB. But USB-C has closed the gap. Bring it to iPhone, Apple.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Perfect. I was predicting that Apple would go maximum Apple and go 100% wireless before changing cable types.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I love how sturdy the lightning connection is but I would welcome the change to USB C.
Tired of multiples of cables.

Mine still works fine. It's just loose. And the port is also super worn down.

From an aesthetic standpoint I wish they wouldn't use that white plastic for the port. It's super dirty and no amount of cleaning will ever restore it. Looks gross.
White plastic? Maybe my memory is failing, but the port is all metal.
I used my 6S for years and it did get the point where the lightning charge cable would just slip out when pulling it, or trying to lift by the cord.

Decided to clean it with a wooden toothpick and it was like new again. I would have felt safe swinging it around.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Felt like a matter of time after the new iPad Pro used it. Now hopefully they follow through.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
I love how sturdy the lightning connection is but I would welcome the change to USB C.
Tired of multiples of cables.

White plastic? Maybe my memory is failing, but the port is all metal.
I used my 6S for years and it did get the point where the lightning charge cable would just slip out when pulling it, or trying to lift by the cord.

Decided to clean it with a wooden toothpick and it was like new again. I would have felt safe swinging it around.
No it's not all metal.

Like the outer-most part of the port is metal and then inside is white plastic.

Yeah I've tried toothpicks, toothpicks with a bit of paper towel on them, q-tips with some of the cotton removed so it can fit in the port, even those little brush looking flosspicks. Nothing worked. I think my port is in especially poor shape where it basically would need to be replaced if I want it looking new again.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Lightning in my experience has never been as good as micro-USB.

giphy.gif

N051DE

Oct 27, 2017
SEATTLE
But Apple does that every couple of years anyway

See also: every time they change the connectors every couple of years and re release all the accessories and adapters. See also also: remove the headphone jack while launching expensive shite Bluetooth ear buds

Exactly this, its funny how alot of people commenting in this thread can't remember a few years in tech.

Oct 25, 2017
yeah they changed it 6 years ago which last time I checked, isn't that long ago.
New consoles come out every 7-8 years and millions have no issue spending nearly half a grand on new hardware/controllers. I think a lot of you are exaggerating the inconvenience of picking up a handful of new $5 cables to charge shit after a neary a decade of the old standard.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Right now their mac laptops and ipad pros are USB-C only. Iphones and regular ipads are lightning. And their desktop Macs are both USB-A and C. Hopefully they will eventually transition everything into USB-C so we finally have the one cable to rule them all.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
I found Micro usb horrible to use, but USB-C is as good as lightening and more compatible, so good move.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Macbook Pro and a Galaxy S9 through my job. I find it really daft that I can charge my phone with my Mac charger but colleagues with an iPhone can't. It just makes no sense.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I must admit, I do prefer USB C over Lightning purely because I have dexterity problems and USB C I find to be much less fiddly.

Although I've never broken a Lightning cable and I can be pretty forceful.

Deleted member 30395

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
But Apple does that every couple of years anyway

See also: every time they change the connectors every couple of years and re release all the accessories and adapters. See also also: remove the headphone jack while launching expensive shite Bluetooth ear buds

They've changed connector once in 18 years.

'Shite' Bluetooth headphones that are unanimously praised.

This is such a troll post right? Some console warrior bullshit.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
As an XS Max owner, this is bittersweet. Would love to be able to use the same cable for my Switch and phone, but I can't actually remember the last time I plugged this phone in to charge, as I've had wireless charging from day 1 with it. Not planning on upgrading my iPad for a while though, so Lightning is still required in my house!

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Apple kinda has to or else the will get the EU after them. Most companies "voluntarily" made the switch to USB-C with Apple getting a tap on the wrist from the EU last summer because they were unwilling to bow to the pressure.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Apple is one of the biggest players in the development and promotion of USB-C. In fact, its design is exactly a more compact version of an existing Apple connector.

iPhone getting USB-C is just coming full circle.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair to Apple.

Lighting is better then Micro B

Apple is pushing hard for USB C on their macbooks

But USB C is a God when it comes to connections.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Don't use Apple devices but I love USB C and am glad to see they might make the switch.

And even for non-Apple users, it'll be great when you can ask a friend for a charger or vice versa, and they'll have the same charger as you. Or when you want to use public charging stations.

And maybe, as others mentioned, we will get more standardization as far as how the connector is used.