• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Happens to iPhones often too. It's why wireless charging or magnetic chargers are so good.

It really doesn't.
I've never seen a loose lightning port.. and I manage 1000+ ios devices at work with kids plugging/unplugging all day.

NEVER had a broken lightning port.

I get broken off headphone plugs every other week.

I can already tell the USB-C port on my macbook seems a bit loose and janky. Lightning is god tier.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really doesn't.
I've never seen a loose lightning port.. and I manage 1000+ ios devices at work with kids plugging/unplugging all day.

NEVER had a broken lightning port.

I get broken off headphone plugs every other week.

I can already tell the USB-C port on my macbook seems a bit loose and janky. Lightning is god tier.
I mean people in this thread have talked about it already. Sounds like you're letting some personal opinions cloud your judgment

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
In b4 "Apple put a more faulty connector in that can damage your phone to boost failing sales".

But moving to it is whatever to me. It's a cable that charges a phone, i'm happy with either. Lightning connectors are so plentiful and everywhere that having one charger that does it all doesn't really impact me.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.. I'm letting personal experience with thousands of devices cloud my judgement.
And somehow (I doubt it) you've never dealt with a broken/faulty lightning connector in 1000 devices. Even if true, you realize how little that sample size is out of all the devices they release right?

Oct 25, 2017
And somehow (I doubt it) you've never dealt with a broken/faulty lightning connector in 1000 devices. Even if true, you realize how little that sample size is out of all the devices they release right?
Yet you're leaning on the like, the two, three people that complained about a loose lighting port in this thread? Anecdotal evidence is fun.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
with the iPad Pro being USB-C I thought it was pretty obvious at least 2019 iPhone would have USB-C

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yet you're leaning on the like, the two, three people that complained about a loose lighting port in this thread? Anecdotal evidence is fun.
It's a common enough issue, I'm not saying all lightning connectors will fail just that this issue affects all device types. But to claim one cable is better because of this just seems insane 😅

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The only thing I want from the next iPhone is the ability to charge the second gen Airpods from the iPhone. Wirelessly.

Doubt they will do it though.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the sturdiness of Lightning which is inherent to its physical design is going to be missed, maybe that's the future step after the USB-C, when miniaturization can make it trivial to have as many connections as USB-C in a connector as small as Lightning.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Well that sucks, moving back to lightning was a key driver in selling my pixel 2 and getting an iphone x. USB-C is awesome for desktop devices, it drove me insane on my phone, it seemed like a neverending cycle of cleaning out lint with a toothpick just so I could occasionally wake up in the morning to find my phone fully charged.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
My Nexus 6P USB-C port is loose now after 3 years, the plug will wiggle in it and it only charges when held at a certain angle. It is to the point that I have to prop the phone up to charge it.
Ah, bummer. I had my 6P for a bit over two years, and it never had any issues with the port. Same goes for my Pixel, which I've now had for roughly the same amount of time, I think.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder what some of you are doing to have such dirty ports you can't charge 🤔

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
It's a common enough issue, I'm not saying all lightning connectors will fail just that this issue affects all device types. But to claim one cable is better because of this just seems insane 😅
Can't be that common, this is the first I've heard of actual ports wearing out that wasn't due to dirty ports.

I do wonder what some of you are doing to have such dirty ports you can't charge 🤔

Just pocket lint from going in and out of pockets all day. Eventually builds up. I bet it's the same with a lot of USB C ports that people say get "messed up".

I actually find it therapeutic to clean the port. Nothing like getting a button sized amount of lint outta there haha.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand what the difference between lightening cable and a usb c port?
They are different connectors and they don't fit each other. USB-C is more capable as it supports faster charging rates, and can carry other signals like video out etc.

More importantly it would mean Android users, iPhone users charging from the same cable. That could also charge a Nintendo Switch. And a MacBook. And an iPad. And a Chromebook.

Telpis

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
They are different connectors and they don't fit each other. USB-C is more capable as it supports faster charging rates, and can carry other signals like video out etc.

More importantly it would mean Android users, iPhone users charging from the same cable. That could also charge a Nintendo Switch. And a MacBook. And an iPad. And a Chromebook.

Oh that would be great

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't be that common, this is the first I've heard of actual ports wearing out that wasn't due to dirty ports.

Just pocket lint from going in and out of pockets all day. Eventually builds up. I bet it's the same with a lot of USB C ports that people say get "messed up".

I actually find it therapeutic to clean the port. Nothing like getting a button sized amount of lint outta there haha.
OMG nastyyyy

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Baby steps. Now let me watch YouTube as I browse the web.

This. Fucking hell this. I've played with a samsung s8's split screen feature and it's so nice to browse the web while listening to some youtube video. All these current powerful phones should have this.

I don't really care about iphones having usb c, I have tons of lightning cables over the years of owning iphones.

That's a lie, they don't really last more than a year, but I have bought tons of them as a result.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The decision to stick with Lightning this year (if true) is more frustrating than the 5W charger in the box. When you get your own fast charger, you can always keep it for years. Also, it may not come in the box but it's fixable. But the type of connector can't be changed.

I'm probably getting a new iPhone in 2019 and I'm a bit worried to just miss the transition.

Oct 27, 2017
Premium prices, trash accessories. Yep, that's an Apple product.
Almost every other company gives you less when it comes to phones as well
Samsung doesn't. They charge a premium and they actually give you something that charges your phone properly.