• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thread making privileges suspended (6 months): Consistent history of bad faith threads regarding phones
https://9to5mac.com/2018/12/04/apple-marketing-iphone-xs-boost/

Company executives moved some marketing staff from other projects to work on bolstering sales of the latest handsets in October, about a month after the iPhone XS went on sale and in the days around the launch of the iPhone XR, according to a person familiar with the situation. This person described it as a "fire drill," and a possible admission that the devices may have been selling below some expectations. The person asked not to be identified discussing private strategy changes.

Supply chain reports of weak iPhone sales are almost a meme at this point, with stories popping up about this time every year. This year seems particularly extreme. Many iPhone component suppliers have reported revenue warnings to investors citing market weakness. We even saw $100 price drops in Japan at carriers, where demand for iPhone XR was reported to be particularly low.

I'm curious about actual sales numbers... Unfortunately Apple doesn't release them anymore likely because of these things.

Deleted member 25445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Whoever is responsible for naming these devices and arranging the product line should be fired

Last edited:

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if they saved on the marketing and just dropped the price how it would compare...

I'm quite interested in the phones, but I can't justify the price so I'll stick on my old one for now. I was also planning on getting a Series 4 watch day 1 until they increased the price on that too. :/

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they saved on the marketing and just dropped the price how it would compare...

I'm quite interested in the phones, but I can't justify the price so I'll stick on my old one for now. I was also planning on getting a Series 4 watch day 1 until they increased the price on that too. :/
Unfortunately they have had to raise the prices since overall sales are down for iOS devices but they don't want to lose market value so revenue had to go up. They are reaching kr have already reached market saturation at this point especially as people aren't upgrading every year anymore.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Try lowering the price - I'm not buying one anymore at these prices

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe next year they can refresh the naming since Iphone 11 sounds dumb.

New nomenclature with easy to make sense models.

XS sounds like Extra Small. XR makes no sense.

Give a 2019 iPhone, a plus, and a premium if you need to have 3 models.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious about actual sales numbers... Unfortunately Apple doesn't release them anymore likely because of these things.
The Xr has the been top selling iPhone model every single day since its release. Reading the supply chain tea leaves almost never reveals accurate information.

As for this story, what is Apple supposed to be marketing instead? HomePod?

HanzSnubSnub

Oct 27, 2017
Steve Jobs knew that having one model a year was the way to go. Now look at Apple, 3 models every year and plus sized editions is costing them more, they are cannibalizing their own sales.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have a slimmer and cheaper portfolio.
If your marketing department is in charge of pricing and your product portfolio, then yeah, it's a good idea to have them do something else lol.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Top-selling of the 3 just released. Not really a useful stat given the news of low sales overall...

"Rumours". Apple doom and gloom sales rumours are a dime-a-dozen, will be very interesting to see what the next actual financials look like but I'm not sure it's worth taking too much stock in the rumour cycle

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, XS and XS MAX are awful names almost a parody. And XR what does it even mean?

And using the X instead of 10 is super cheesy imo
artworks-000192273936-0hmgg2-t500x500.jpg

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
The product line up has gotten completely stupid and over priced. But I have to admit the trade in deal brought me in and got me to get an XR even though I wasn't planning to upgrade my 7 this year.

They also need to make it so people on prepaid plans can sign up for the iPhone monthly payment plan or the upgrade plan.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
We still don't actually know. An iPhone with a worse screen resolution than the past 2 years??? But still $750??

I wish mods would start handing out warning to people like you. What you posted is completely 100% false and a lie. It is higher resolution than any other LCD iPhone. That's a fact, and no matter how much you hate Apple isn't going to change that.

Edit: I should clarify for nitpickers, this is in regard to regular LCD iPhones, not the plus line in where this is a smaller phone anyway.

It is lower than the X models but the X models need a higher resolution since they use a pentile subpixels arangenent. Basically, pixels on an OLED a screen produce a fuzzier image than that of the pixels on the iPhone LCDs.

Last edited:

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I wish mods would start handing out warning to people like you. What you posted is completely 100% false and a lie. It is higher resolution than any other LCD iPhone. That's a fact, and no matter how much you hate Apple isn't going to change that.

It is lower than the X models but the X models need a higher resolution since they use a pentile subpixels arangenent. Basically, pixels on an OLED a screen produce a fuzzier image than that of the pixels on the iPhone LCDs.

yep, but the OAH (obsessed apple haters) don't really care about facts hun

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Uhh... it has a lower resolution than the iPhone 8 Plus

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
"Rumours". Apple doom and gloom sales rumours are a dime-a-dozen, will be very interesting to see what the next actual financials look like but I'm not sure it's worth taking too much stock in the rumour cycle
The "Apple is doomed" narrative has been playing for decades now. It's always the same tired shit.

bry

Oct 27, 2017
i don't think they marketed the xr well.
a lot of people i spoke to had no idea it existed during the launch period.
a couple of them even upgraded their phones from 7 to 8 the week it launched lol
Not saying these people are the ones who would've bought the xr tho but just an anecdote

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh... it has a lower resolution than the iPhone 8 Plus
But it's not a plus sized phone, it's like saying a sedan has less space in it than an SUV. The XR is not labeled as a plus sized phone, so why would you be comparing it to one. Its res is right between what you'd expect from an iPhones size between the 8 and 8+.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The iPhone 6 plus, released in 2014, has a higher resolution LCD screen. Do not threaten warnings and bans when you can't get your own facts straight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_6

bruhh

Oct 26, 2017
Been using iPhones since 4.

Pricing is getting pretty dumb and iOS is stale as fuck with minimal innovation.

Something that's reliable and smooth is great, but iOS severely needs some serious upgrades. I love using the X but wont consider any update until something drastic changes. They're playing it way too safe and the prices don't match this.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it's not a plus sized phone, it's like saying a sedan has less space in it than an SUV. The XR is not labeled as a plus sized phone, so why would you be comparing it to one. Its res is right between what you'd expect from an iPhones size between the 8 and 8+.
You didn't say plus size, you said the XR has a higher resolution than ANY other LCD iPhone. Then threatened that we should get warnings for making things up. You don't get to lie, move the goal posts and then threaten people like that. Move along please.

AngryMoth

Oct 25, 2017
I was ready to buy one of the new ones this year but decided to hold onto my 6S for another year due to the prices. Guess I wasn't alone.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Maybe because you are threatening bans / warnings while also definitively claiming something that was false? By the way, the XR is barely smaller than the Plus. By your analogy it would be like the difference between a BMW X5 and an X6.

Holograms

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Seems like everyone is doing something similar: holding off. If I hadn't received a significant discount from my work, I would have held onto my 7 plus for another year without issue. This is a theme across all of Apples product lines. Everything is getting actually ridiculously expensive. The MacBook Pro line pricing is just obscene here in Canada. This is coming from someone who has been a generally big Apple fan. I can't believe it but I think they are finally losing me with this shit.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
We're all still waiting for apple to stop playing with these gimmicky "X" spin off phones and bring on the true successor, the iPhone 9!

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
The iPhone 6 plus, released in 2014, has a higher resolution LCD screen. Do not threaten warnings and bans when you can't get your own facts straight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_6
You didn't say plus size, you said the XR has a higher resolution than ANY other LCD iPhone. Then threatened that we should get warnings for making things up. You don't get to lie, move the goal posts and then threaten people like that. Move along please.

So I was in the wrong in being vague when saying any iPhone, talking about the standard line and not the phablet. But being vague is not the same as trying to express fake facts to mislead other users. I also edited my post to clarify when it was clear it could be misconstrued, where you are digging your feet in the ground trying justify that this screen is somehow crappier than that of the preceding phone it is meant to replace.

So I am "guilty" of being vague in which I then went out of my way to clarify, while you stroke your hate boner for a phone.

Maybe because you are threatening bans / warnings while also definitively claiming something that was false? By the way, the XR is barely smaller than the Plus. By your analogy it would be like the difference between a BMW X5 and an X6.

I wasn't aware warnings are the same as bans, and no where did I state he should be banned. Nor did I threaten him (which would be dumb because I'm not a mod?)

"Barely" smaller is all relative when it comes to phones, measurements on paper are not good examples to judge on how much smaller or bigger something is. As someone who has used +/Max sized iPhones for 5 years now, there is a noticeable difference in size between the XR and +. The XR is a narrower screen, and being at a different aspect ratio than the + ultimately still results in a smaller phone.

image0.jpg

I should also add that the XR starts at 750, that IPhone 8+ started at 900 or 1,000 at launch iirc (but not entirely sure on that)

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
They should lower the ridiculous prices and remove the hideous notch instead. I'm a big fan of Macs and iPads (or was when it comes to Macs), but their phones never appealed to me.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the current price, these new iPhones don't provide much value for money. Not sure what marketing strategy can do to make people spend a lot of money for something that they don't need.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
The issue is the cost and the fact that phones are starting to level out tech wise.

People are starting to realize that they don't have to upgrade every year, and it's in their best financial interest not to.

An iPhone X is still going to be a perfectly capable phone next year.

As these devices keep creeping up in price, people are going to hold onto their current one as long as they can. That's bad for manufacturers.

The price increase is one reason why you're seeing T-Mobile looking at moving to a 36 month finance window. 36 months to finance a phone is crazy.

Last edited:

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be interesting to see next years phones. I'm not expecting another Xʀ, it feels like a 5c.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
when you got cheaper phones that looks just as good from other manufacturers, then you have a problem

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Just got a Xs. I thought the same as you when this phone and price was announced, like "1000+ bucks for a phone? You gotta be kidding me." But after thinking it over for a while I was like "Screw it. I have used my 5s every day for 5 years now and it is still working perfectly. These things are made to last, so I just buy the new one." And it's incredible.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Notch is fine but the price isn't. They got away with it last year with the X being 'a preview of what we imagine the future of iPhone to be' or whatever bollocks they came up with. But then this year they went 'oh that's our normal pricing now'

They need to go back to $800 max phones

Last edited:

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be interesting to see next years phones. I'm not expecting another Xʀ, it feels like a 5c.

The Xr is definitely sticking around. Next year my guess is they'll drop the 8 and 7 from their 'official' lineup and just have this year's phones + the next versions of the Xr/S/S Max. God these names suck.

I don't see them dropping the price of the Xs/Max anytime soon especially if their competitors aren't. Apple never wants to be seen as priced in a non premium way, so the Xr gives them the lower cost offering.

The thing about the Xr is it gives them the ability to upsell the Xs and Max. "Yeah, the Xr has everything the Xs does.. but does it have OLED or two cameras or 3D touch? For only $250 you can have it all!". And eventually if OLED comes to the Xr, replace those features with whatever 'premium' features are added to the Xs.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's not the marketing, that is still great. It's primarily the crazy prices that have gotten even more expensive.