• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
iOS 12 brings with it the secret best part of the update: SHORTCUTS!

LZwMuJD.png

WHAT IS SHORTCUTS?

Anyone remember that Workflow app? Well back in March 2017 Apple bought it, and at WWDC 2018 detailed how they were integrating it into the system. The result is the Shortcuts app, allowing you to make powerful automation features right in the comfort of your own iOS device!*

To summarize succinctly, Shortcuts is an app that allows you to combine actions from one or more apps into a "workflow" (hence the original app name) to be completed kind of like a program. You chain actions, inputs and outputs, into desired results. There are system apps and third party apps, and it seems like more apps are becoming actionable through updates every day.

There are actually two different kinds of Shortcuts: ones delivered by the system (determined by Machine Learning(tm) that you don't actually need the Shortcuts app for), and ones that users create themselves to create simple or complex actions to do all sorts of stuff. Everyone gets the first, the second...

*iOS 12 or later required offer void where prohibited

Here's the video from WWDC where they demo some stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UThGcWBIMpU&t=31m40s

WHERE CAN I GET IT?

If you already had the Workflow app downloaded, updating to iOS 12 will prompt an app update from the App Store magically transforming it into the Shortcuts app. For everyone else, it's a free download from the App Store!

Download here!

HOW DO I ACTIVATE SHORTCUTS?

There are actually SIX different ways! Note: with the Siri option you can give it whatever activation phrase you want.

From the Shortcuts app itself

L0SZGCR.png

THROUGH SIRI
aUZq0Eb.jpg

FROM THE WIDGET
9qTTF6H.png

FROM THE SHARE SHEET
8kA4dmq.png

WHEN OFFERED BY THE SYSTEM
1h6WMFf.jpg

THROUGH SEARCH
rIwsGyX.jpg

HOW DO I MAKE MY OWN MY OWN?

BJnAhSs.jpg

The Shortcuts app comes with an entire editor for system functions AND third party app functions (once those apps have been updated). Think of it a lot like programming: a series of actions to create a desired outcome. You can even get pretty program-y with it, with assigning variables and whatnot. You can even run Shortcuts inside other shortcuts for you Inception fans out there.

Honestly the act of making Shortcuts is kind of a big topic, so this thread will be great to discuss it, however there are also two resources you should absolutely tap into:

THE OFFICIAL SHORTCUTS USER GUIDE FROM APPLE

FEDERICO VITICCI'S IOS 12 REVIEW: SHORTCUTS SECTION

Viticci writes the definitive iOS review every year, but he's also one of the top Workflow/Shortcuts users in the world, and his review is exquisite.

Also helpful are the subreddits, great for ideas or to ask questions.

Workflow
Shortcuts
Siri Shortcuts

The last two are competing, with "shortcuts" being bigger but both having a solid subscriber base.

HOW DO I SHARE MY MASTERPIECES WITH OTHERS?

Of course what good is making the best Shortcut in the world if you can't share it with others? There are a few ways to accomplish this:

1. Each Shortcut can make a shareable iCloud link that others can download and use/modify. For example, here's the one I used to get all these screenshots in here: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/086459f980844520af41925d0137ba42

2. The Shortcuts app comes with a Gallery where you can download some curated options, and tweak them as needed. It's also a great place to get ideas!
OT9BBZA.png

3. As time goes on various websites will pop up offering Shortcuts to download, but for now the main one is https://sharecuts.app/ Currently curated by Viticci and Guilherme Rambo and other Apple folks on Twitter.

CREDITS

Images shamelessly stolen from the Apple Shortcuts User Guide and Viticci's iOS 12 review. I am FAR from a pro with this app but I'm working hard to get better, and hopefully this thread will serve as a springboard for other people!

I highly, HIGHLY recommend people read or at least skim both those resources, they're full of information that will only help.

EXAMPLE SHORTCUTS

Comprehensive example Shortcut for those that want to see what is possible and what you can chain together:

Pulled over by the cops: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/8ebe3d63d3c34d04be04fb7b3f1e72e6

Pause your music, lower screen brightness, text someone that you got pulled over, sends current location, opens the front camera and records, then when you stop it it saves to the camera roll and auto sends it to someone else. All texting is done in the background with no confirmation needed.

Last edited:

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually kind of bummed at how so many of the iOS apps themselves are limited in their extensibility - Mail.app (for example) basically only supports the same simple quick action URL-scheme stuff that you get from 3D Touching the icon.

Let me do stuff like scrape the top 100 messages in my inbox for URLs, please, or at least be able to read all of my News.app headlines back to me.

I'm excited for what third-party developers are going to accomplish with this stuff, though.

And the stuff that anyone can do with Safari content is absolutely nuts.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems cool, but I feel like I have no use for it?

Any really cool ones y'all can recommend?

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Been making some simple ones and configurations so this is my widget so far

EDHVPJu.jpg

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, you already included the "Upload to Imgur" action which is the only major use I've found for it

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
The real crazy Shortcuts are going to involve the Run Script Over SSH action.

I don't think SSH has changed in shortcuts? But yeah, pair it with a tunneled raspberry pi it's absurdly powerful.

I personally use it for controlling my network wide PiHole, NAS and some web scraping (though I plan to move that on device with Scriptable when I get around to it. Should be possible.).

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As I mentioned in the iOS 12 thread, for some reason, when making a new shortcut, Apple only presents a list of very basic options and makes it seem like that's all you can do during creation. However, if you type something into the search bar and then delete it, you'll be presented with a much fuller list of categories and apps (even third party apps that have been updated for Shortcuts support) to create your shortcuts with.

Even then it still won't be exhaustive. It seems like in some cases it will only show actions you have taken inside an app.

For example, if I go into Stocks and search for "MSFT", a Shortcuts option to "Check MSFT price" will appear under the Stocks app, but there's no way to make that shortcut from complete scratch as far as I can find.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
As I mentioned in the iOS 12 thread, for some reason, when making a new shortcut, Apple only presents a list of very basic options and makes it seem like that's all you can do during creation. However, if you type something into the search bar and then delete it, you'll be presented with a much fuller list of categories and apps (even third party apps that have been updated for Shortcuts support) to create your shortcuts with.
Also you need to open updated apps (and often trigger a specific "do you want to work with siri/shortcuts" sort of prompt within them) for many of them to appear in that list.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You shouldn't have to type and delete, you should just have to tap on the search box. After I do that all the sections appear

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you have to trigger them manually or can you do things like running them on a schedule or based on location?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

Even then it still won't be exhaustive. It seems like in some cases it will only show actions you have taken inside an app.

For example, if I go into Stocks and search for "MSFT", a Shortcuts option to "Check MSFT price" will appear under the Stocks app, but there's no way to make that shortcut from complete scratch as far as I can find.
Yeah, those are the two different types that apps can donate to Shortcuts.app. I agree it's irritating and don't understand why you can't get access the generated ones from scratch. It's not like they don't use a template. Fail safe measure I guess.

Oct 31, 2017
Call me crazy but this seems pointless

Been using iPhone since the very first model.

Yeah I expect a bunch of angry replies.

Read everything in OP

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Best one I've seen so far is this one: Play Track on Spotify entirely using your voice. I linked to the Reddit thread rather than directly to the shortcut since there's some important details on the limitations.

But basically it allows you to play any song on Spotify completely via voice, similar to Siri + Apple Music. I tried it in my car and it worked great.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Call me crazy but this seems pointless

Been using iPhone since the very first model.

Yeah I expect a bunch of angry replies.

Read everything in OP
tl;dr

in theory (if you had everything needed and supported), you could say "hey Siri, get my morning started" and she could/would

open all of the shades in the house
start brewing your coffee
tell you the weather, drive time to work, etc
start a news app or a playlist (or a podcast)
give you stocks
etc

all with the one command. The point of this is to allow for insanely ridiculous levels of automation and workflow scripting and THEN being able to attach those directly to a Siri command/shortcut.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
tl;dr

in theory (if you had everything needed and supported), you could say "hey Siri, get my morning started" and she could/would

open all of the shades in the house
start brewing your coffee
tell you the weather, drive time to work, etc
start a news app or a playlist (or a podcast)
give you stocks
etc

all with the one command. The point of this is to allow for insanely ridiculous levels of automation and workflow scripting and THEN being able to attach those directly to a Siri command/shortcut.

Yep. My morning Shortcut:

1. Adjust lights in my room
2. Say "Good morning (my name)"
3. Have CARROT read me the weather (profanity and all)
4. Read out my calendar
5. Start playing a "Wake Me Up!" Playlist on shuffle and max volume.

Gonna add in a "word of the day" thing when a certain app comes out, and read me my to-do list if Things ever gains that ability

Last edited:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
A+ title.

I think despite the power here, the current UX is going to really prevent most people from understanding how or when to use these. Apple really should've taken the basic tech of Workflow and completely redesigned it to be more approachable, but the same power user focused Workflow team is still running the project at Apple so I guess they think it's perfectly fine. Even for me who works in the tech industry, I struggle to find good uses for it that don't seem like more trouble than they're worth.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yep. My morning Shortcut:

1. Adjust lights in my room
2. Say "Good morning (my name)"
3. Have CARROT read me the weather (profanity and all)
4. Read out my calendar
5. Start playing a "Wake Me Up!" Playlist on shuffle and max volume.

Gonna add in a "word of the day" thing when a certain app comes out, and read me my to-do list if Things ever gains that ability
How do you do this???

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to set up a short cut where it plays a playlist & set up a timer to auto-turn off after an hour...

Except the clock app / timer
Doesn't show up anywhere in shortcuts?

Help

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to set up a short cut where it plays a playlist & set up a timer to auto-turn off after an hour...

Except the clock app / timer
Doesn't show up anywhere in shortcuts?

Help
Set a timer in the clock app. It should be donated to shortcuts. You should then find the timer there and be able to use it as an element. (You just have to do the run timer thing once to create the shortcut donation)

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Set a timer in the clock app. It should be donated to shortcuts. You should then find the timer there and be able to use it as an element. (You just have to do the run timer thing once to create the shortcut donation)

Okay I set the timer but I'm not sure what you mean with everything else.

I have the shortcut open.

And the search bar is there... what do I do next?

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Here's one that bypasses online paywalls. Many big sites like Wired, Vanity Fair, etc allow you to read like 5 free articles per month before locking you out and requiring you to subscribe. If you get that paywall prompt, simply go to the share sheet in Safari's bottom toolbar, go to "Shortcuts" and select this action. It will unlock it for you.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/f37f624116d9435b88f252cf12933cfa

lbcyalater

Oct 27, 2017
this seems really cool but i'm too dumb to figure it out...one thing i would like is to be able to turn off notification previews for the times i let my daughter use my phone

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Overcast now supports it. Now I just tap the We Hate Movies icon I made and the latest episode starts playing. Neat! Did the same for the Giant Beastcast.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shortcut for when you're pulled over by the police (taken from one of the other Apple threads, sorry I can't give more credit): https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/8ebe3d63d3c34d04be04fb7b3f1e72e6

Shortcut to make text 200% better (best used from the share sheet): https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/5532ebfbfc7a4b52bd33d74546ac4570

Shortcut that takes a selected video, lets you trim it, and turns it into a gif (also best used from the share sheet): https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/9745322961c6463e9a877d47d7752e45

Last edited: