• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
How many will just reply to the title (cuz I know many don't read thread contents) with "but da Pippin", "but they already get a 30% cut of erry gaem on iOS so why wud they make there own"?

Apple is becoming an entertainment company, they're gonna launch their own streaming service with their own original content, a direct competitor to Netflix, Amazon and Disney. Why would they enter this highly competitive market, which is gonna cost billions, and not consider entering gaming, which is a 100 billion dollar industry and one of the fastest growing? Netflix isn't making more money than gaming, it's not a more lucrative business.

I think Apple is gonna enter the gaming business sooner or later, especially with Google, Amazon and Facebook(VR) also in it now.

With Apple making triple A TV shows and movies, nothing stops them from entering the AAA gaming business. Consoles make sense for them too, traditional gaming aka the living room/TV environment is the only place where Apple isn't huge yet, Apple TV isn't competitive with other consoles and isn't selling as well. They've reached a ceiling in iPhone sales and Apple is trying to be less dependent on phones. I think consoles, cementing Apple as the home entertainment center is a plausibility. The last 6-7 years have proven that consoles are a mainstay of gaming despite so many other avenues to play.

A well designed Apple console, with its own original games, that doesn't cost too much (hell, what is the Apple premium anymore when Samsung is launching a $2000 phone?), could be a real disruptor. Apple is also designing its own hardware and won't be dependent on others like AMD. Apple is the only ones I see dethroning Sony. The Apple brand, just like PlayStation has global worldwide appeal.

Now that we've established gaming actually makes sense for them, which studios and publishers should they buy? Who should they hire? I think of J Allard, and former Sony execs (plenty have left over the last few years).

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
The console business is hugely competitive and I really don't see Apple having anything to say in that area. A well designed console and OS is nice and all but what would make them any different than Xbox, Playstation and Switch ? Mobile is way more profitable for them.

Oct 27, 2017
They already have their content on the apple store with almost no investment. Adding a gaming division makes no sense because the margins aren't worth the risk. It won't happen.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
As gaming needs a shakeup as a whole.

I fully welcome Amazon, Google, Apple streaming devices with open arms.

It's time gaming went with the times already. Digitalization is the future, and these companies are fit for the future.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They already get loads of money from gaming and they already sell hardware, both home and portable, that runs games.

Apple are in gaming. Their business model is simple halfway between console and PC gaming. Making a dedicated console won't benefit them.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think if they wanted to do it (as in traditionalist gaming), they would've done it 7-10 years ago. The buzz on an Apple streaming service is considerably less than Amazon and Google as well which leads to me to believe they don't really have huge aspirations there.

Apple's big move should be IMO to buy Disney. Video games are small potatoes ... buying Disney would let them not have the "next Netflix", but to be in a position to kill Netflix if they want.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Apple's business model has been pushing up prices to ensure that they are making more money off a sale while reducing what they used to offer as standard off the box. That over pricing model is not something that will fly in gaming regardless of how popular their brand name is.

GarrettInk

Feb 6, 2019
Introducing the iGame, a brand new console powered by the same iPad SOC, starting from 799$ for the 500GB version.

Yeah, no thanks.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
1. The industry doesn't match Apple's business model. Like at all. Imagine Apple trying to create a unique ecosystem. You can't demand nothing from third parties these days, so it would be a dead end.

2. Apple is all about design, but considering how hardware is nothing but a gateway to the content you're actually interested in, would really buy a console that's priced in line with Apple's other products? They wouldn't undercut their own value (or perceived value) by making competitive pricing, but that would ruin their chances at hitting the market seriously in the first place.

So, be it hardware or the platform itself (which could be a Cloud-thing in a few years, making expensive hardware obsolete), Apple doesn't have much to offer here - that is unless they're willing to branch away from the business that's made the one of the (2nd?) biggest companies in the world.

3. Also the industry itself is just so competitive as is, and right now we're seeing the costs of keeping things afloat; it's management hell, and studios are going down by the dozens, whilst people are layed off in thousands. It's not the time to hit the market. It's not prospering at all.

But I'm not Apple, and I'm not their management 'nor strategists. It all seems like a very, very risky idea, but God knows even Apple has to find a way to expand, so it isn't just iWatches and iPens and what not..

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
They will join with 5+ year old hardware and sell it for 499$.

giphy-downsized.gif

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure what a dedicated console would add to the market
Or to Apple. They already put millions of gaming-enabled devices in the hands of people. Multiple times more than any dedicated gaming console can ever aim to, at prices consoles can only dream of.

If Apple wants to improve the quality of their participation in the gaming business they have to figure out how to give proper controls to their devices but that's about it.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
I've always said, they should make an AppleTV+Controller bundle for 150$, that would be super-competitive. Imagine these tiny fanless boxes as PUBG and Fortnite machines.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I think if they wanted to do it (as in traditionalist gaming), they would've done it 7-10 years ago. The buzz on an Apple streaming service is considerably less than Amazon and Google as well which leads to me to believe they don't really have huge aspirations there.

Apple's big move should be IMO to buy Disney. Video games are small potatoes ... buying Disney would let them not have the "next Netflix", but to be in a position to kill Netflix if they want.
That's so not going to happen.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
i think they were rumored to be looking at some kind of game subscription service. i wouldn't be interested in that for the current mobile catalog but if it brought more traditional games to mobile then I would be a tiny bit interested.

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
Yes, Apple is an entertainment company for me. It entertains me when I see the prices of their stuff.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Apple is not an entertainment company, they are an entertainment vendor. They haven't actually created any content.

As Microsoft (and companies of the past) is finding out, deep pockets and tech know-how doesn't mean anything without software.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
What?

Apple releases cutting edge hardware in their products. Their A-series SOC's are unbeatable in the mobile industry.

Yea, when you look at their mobile chipsets they are really the front runners in that area so I don't know why it's so hard to imagine they would take a similar approach to a console IF they decided to get involved in that arena.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
They are already in the game business. All the kids play Roblox and Minecraft on there iPads.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I can go on my iPad right now and play Ace Attorney or GTA. People are crazy.
Apple could used the haptic feedback on the screen to emulate the feel of buttons. I have a iPhone 7 and the haptic feed back is so good you wouldn't know you wasn't pressing a button and just touching glass. My gf would actually believe that it wasn't a button. I had to switch it off to show it's just glass.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Apple is a big player in the gaming market and i don't get why people pretend they aren't just because their gaming devices don't use traditional controllers.

Ditto with Google.

If they make a play for bigger games it'll still be games for the ecosystem they have already established. or in a way that synergizes with that ecosystem.

OP
OP
Segafreak

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Apple is not an entertainment company, they are an entertainment vendor. They haven't actually created any content.

As Microsoft (and companies of the past) is finding out, deep pockets and tech know-how doesn't mean anything without software.
They're about to become an entertainment company, Apple is gonna launch its streaming service this year with its own original TV shows and movies. They're busy inking deals directly with movie studios right now https://9to5mac.com/2018/11/27/netflix-and-apple-changing-entertainment-industry/

Your perception of Apple is gonna change soon, they're not gonna be the iPhone Company forever. And if they did enter the gaming business, they should hire industry veterans from Sony from whom plenty have left the past few years.

I've always said, they should make an AppleTV+Controller bundle for 150$, that would be super-competitive. Imagine these tiny fanless boxes as PUBG and Fortnite machines.

I'd suggest a price point closer to traditional consoles, ~$499. The specs would be kickass as they design their own gpu and cpus. Apple console would be a beast compared to the AMD dependent Sony and MS.

The console business is hugely competitive and I really don't see Apple having anything to say in that area. A well designed console and OS is nice and all but what would make them any different than Xbox, Playstation and Switch ? Mobile is way more profitable for them.
I mean why do they enter the streaming business, it's also hugely competitive if not more than gaming. Why launch your own streaming service when there is Netflix, Amazon, HBO, Disney etc? Being the storefront owner of a mobile platform is vastly different than being a platform holder and content creator for it.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
They're about to become an entertainment company, Apple is gonna launch its streaming service this year with its own original TV shows and movies. They're busy inking deals directly with movie studios right now https://9to5mac.com/2018/11/27/netflix-and-apple-changing-entertainment-industry/

Your perception of Apple is gonna change soon, they're not gonna be the iPhone Company forever. And if they did enter the gaming business, they should hire industry veterans from Sony from whom plenty have left the past few years.

That doesn't mean they'll be successful at it. Content creation is a whole different deal that they have no experience in. And even with say, Apple Music, that's isn't more popular than Pandora or Spotify.

We've seen this movie before with big money corporations getting destroyed because they have no clue how to create or market games to people that buy them.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I think it's just a matter of time. But they need to enter with a splash ! I'm thinking buying EA or Rockstar or something like that.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If the App Store would be indicative of their efforts to screen content, there'd be more complaints on an apple gaming service than those made against steam and their screening.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
iOS is arguably already a bigger gaming platform than anything from traditional consoles.

They are already in gaming via mobile and tablet. I don't see what they could add with a console.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
As long as they wouldn't try to fold their competitors, I agree, because it would mean more jobs in the game industry.
I would doubly support it if they would be open to opening their own AAA game studios.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Doubtful.

Apple has been pretty unfriendly to game developers on MacOS thanks to dumb hardware and software decisions. I would not expect a game console to be much better.

I don't expect much out of their TV division due to Cook's rules on content. Why would a games division be any different.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
How many will just reply to the title (cuz I know many don't read thread contents) with "but da Pippin", "but they already get a 30% cut of erry gaem on iOS so why wud they make there own"?
In this case, hopefully everyone will, because the underlined is the correct answer, no matter how much you want to dress it down. The App store makes a better return on investment for them than virtually anything else they could conceivably do, gaming or otherwise.

Consoles make sense for them too
They really don't. Because although many gamers do fall for some pretty heinous schemes to get their money, the one thing virtually none of them are dumb enough to fall for is an insufferably-marketed "magical" $899+ box with mediocre specs.

(hell, what is the Apple premium anymore when Samsung is launching a $2000 phone?)
False equivalence. Samung's folding phone/tablet/thing is not designed or priced for the mass market. An Apple gaming console would necessarily have to be, and Apple's general inability to price hardware competitively would doom such a console right out of the gate.

Apple is the only ones I see dethroning Sony.
They do already - just not in the arena you personally want them to. Google "Apple revenue" vs. "Sony revenue". Apple going out of their way to make, advertise, especially sell an overpriced box console would not make them any better off than they currently are.

Now that we've established gaming actually makes sense for them,
Now that we've ignored all the reasons why it wouldn't be beneficial for them and played armchair CEO, you mean. What a deserving thread backfire this was.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

It's not happening but would make sense to buy Sony, they have PS brand and Sony Music would be huge for Apple Music.

But then I would have to give up of Playstation because I'm not paying $1000 for a console.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not happening but would make sense to buy Sony, they have PS brand and Sony Music would be huge for Apple Music.

But then I would have to give up of Playstation because I'm not paying $1000 for a console.

Sony doesn't have that much value, their movie division isn't anything great and Sony hardware ... Apple basically does hardware their way and probably in their opinion better.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
If Apple wanted to enter that business in a way that hardcore gamers see as serious, I think they would've done it years ago.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Sony doesn't have that much value, their movie division isn't anything great and Sony hardware ... Apple basically does hardware their way and probably in their opinion better.

PS brand is huge, it's not about the hardware, it's the name (and studios ofc). And I think Sony music is the biggest music company in the world now they bought EMI.