• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Economist - A decade-long boom is ending as consumers hang on to devices for longer

Last summer the market value of Apple passed $1trn, a first for any publicly traded Western company. It did not stay there for long. In November it passed the $1trn mark again, travelling in the other direction. Last week Tim Cook, the smartphone maker's boss, cut revenue forecasts for the first time in over a decade. Apple's shares plunged a further 10% on the news, dragging the world's jittery stockmarkets down with them. Mr Cook blamed the firm's woes on an economic slowdown in China, which accounts for about 18% of Apple's sales. Analysts talked gloomily about a slowing global economy, and pondered whether the trade war between America and China might be starting to affect buying habits.

But there are also simpler forces at work. Smartphones revolutionised everything from shopping and dating to politics and computing itself. They are some of the most popular products ever put on sale. But after a decade-long boom, devices once seen as miraculous have become ubiquitous and even slightly boring.
Global smartphone sales fell in each of the past four quarters (see chart), the first full-year decline. Industry watchers think 2019 will be anaemic, with either more falls or very modest growth. Apple's new forecasts show it is feeling the same chill that is affecting the rest of the industry.

A common diagnosis among those who watch the tech business is that what is happening is what occurs, in the end, with almost any technology. "With a car, a tv, a phone or anything, the first model you sell, in retrospect, is not very good," says Pierre Ferragu at New Street Research, a firm of analysts. "So the value you bring with the second generation is enormous, and that drives rapid replacement." But as engineers and firms learn what works, the process runs quickly into diminishing returns.
Sales of personal computers, the smartphone's predecessors as mass-market computing devices, peaked in 2011, once pcs had become good enough for most of the things consumers wanted them for. Something similar is happening with phones, with replacement cycles lengthening. ccs Insight, another firm of analysts, reckons that the length of time for which consumers hang on to their phones in Western Europe has risen from 26 months in 2010 to 39 months today.
Apple's prices were bound to limit its reach, particularly outside the rich world. But smartphones are much more personal and intimate devices than desktop computers ever were, says Tim Hatt of gsma Intelligence, the research arm of a trade association, and its customers are strikingly loyal. For the moment, therefore, Apple has chosen to double down on its strategy, releasing increasingly expensive phones in the hope that squeezing customers can make up for lower volumes. To a degree, at least, that seems to be working. Early indications are that the iPhone xs Max, which starts at $1,099 and is Apple's most expensive phone, is selling better than the plain old xs, which is $100 cheaper.

Even for Apple's well-heeled customers, though, such a strategy can only go so far. The firm is heavily reliant on hardware sales. iPhone sales made up 59% of its $63bn revenue in the third quarter of 2018, but that understates its dependence. Its growing services division accounted for another 16% of revenue, and Mr Cook wants it to double in size by 2020 compared with 2016. For now much of it consists of things like extended warranties or revenues from the app store, which are linked to iPhone use. Apple is trying hard to diversify further. It may launch a tv-streaming service later in the year. On January 6th Samsung, Apple's arch-rival in the smartphone business, said that iTunes, Apple's online film and music shop, would be coming to its televisions.

At the same time, it is exploring new kinds of hardware. It has its own entry in the home-assistant market, though this has failed to trouble Amazon or Google, the market leaders. There are no official sales figures for the Apple Watch, but Ben Stanton, an analyst at Canalys, reckons the product is "very profitable" and that it dominates the market for smart watches. It has let the firm dip its toes into the health-care market, offering users the ability to keep track of their heart rhythms. Apple has also signed deals with American health-insurance firms, though the highly regulated medical-device market is very different from the consumer-tech space it is used to. The dream, says Mr Hatt, would be to come up with a new mass-market computing platform, in the hope that the firm could repeat the success of the iPhone.
While Apple is busy raising its prices, though, the opposite is happening in the Android world, which accounts for more than 85% of global smartphone users. Users wanting an Android phone can choose from many suppliers in every segment of the market, from sub-$100 budget models to $1,000 "flagships". That has always made for fierce competition between handset manufacturers. Falling sales have made that competition tougher still. The results have been vicious price wars, heavy discounting and a rapid fall in the price of even the most capable devices.

This has been further fuelled, as in so many other industries, by the rise of Chinese manufacturers, which in 2018 accounted for more than half of all smartphone sales worldwide. Samsung, a South Korean firm, is still the world's biggest smartphone maker. But its sales have been dropping sharply. The charge is being led by Huawei, whose sales rose by 33% between the third quarters of 2017 and 2018, and which has nudged Apple into third place. Nipping at Huawei's heels are a host of other Chinese firms less familiar to Western consumers, such as Xiaomi, Oppo and Vivo, all with big ambitions. Xiaomi, for instance, has several phone factories in India, where it has overtaken Samsung in market share.

Sent from my 2016 iPhone 7.

I should say this the article is framed around Apple but the "use your device for longer" trend is becoming common to Android as well. It might not be as common at the moment due to people having to resort to third parties for longer term OS support, though.

Last edited:

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
Diminishing returns and they keep raising the price.

After going iPhone 3, 4, 5 and 6 every 2 years at launch, I kept my 6 for four years before buying a used X on eBay during Black Friday a couple months ago for $600. Even at $600 I felt like I was paying too much for a cell phone. $1,000+ is absurd.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I'm currently rocking an 8. Hoping the prices come down somewhat by next year...I really don't want to go 3 years, but I'm not paying laptop prices for a smartphone.

Oct 25, 2017
These phones are so rock solid, I don't see any reason to keep them any less than 4 years. Even then, I drip feed them to my family when I upgrade. So my Mom has my old 6S and my Dad the 5S, and a battery upgrade aside, they're both still running like champs. With the prices they're at, upgrading your phone only makes sense once you are nearing a half-decade with your old one anyway.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IPhones no longer provide enough value for money.

With quality of Chinese phones on the increase and with no presence in India, they can no longer grow their phone market with absurd prices.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Have zero issues sticking with my iPhone 7 for the foreseeable future

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Still on a 6S that had a battery replacement. I imagine I'll get another year out of it easily, hopefully 2.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I've been saying this a while now. Both Apple and Samsung are going to lose market share to this increasingly value market. Especially with 5G and graphene batteries...smartphones are done. Iterative annual improvements as exciting as x86 5% increase in performance per year.

For Apple specifically I see their market capitalization approaching 400 to 500 billion once shareholders adjust to the reality of people keeping phones for 4 years.

Deleted member 1722

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I've been on a 3 year cycle since the 4S. I feel like my X could easily make it 4 years. It's pretty remarkable how many smartphones that are totally functional are out there. I bet most people reading this have 2-3 phones in a drawer or around the house that still perform base functionality totally adequately. The app market is also in an interesting spot.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'd imagine that offsetting decreased sales with higher prices is only going to encourage those customers to hold onto their phones even longer.

I had my first smart phone for 2 years, my second for 3, and I'm in the fourth year on my current phone. I'll probably ride this one until it's dead then find a dumb phone to replace it.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a 6 but it was dying. That's why I upgraded to the Xr. That, and a friend hooked me up with his Apple discount. I'm going to keep this phone as long as humanly possible.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
am currently using xiaomi mix 2s
think for my next phone i will go back to oneplus

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Apple needs to transition into a services company. Or people need to accept that they are a long term value company and not a growth company anymore.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, its the law of diminishing returns. What can a new phone offer me when I mainly use it to browse and watch movies? Even thinner than the ridiculously thin one I have already? Even more pixels on screen? A notch? A better zoom lens? No headphone jack?

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Definitely running into massive diminishing returns, something a lot of people knew eventually would happen, if not sooner than now.

It's not even that the upgrades themselves aren't worth it, but the average consumer these days can be completely solid for their everyday purposes with like a $200 phone. Smartphones are just less sexy as a status symbol when every Dick and Jane can roll around with an automation controller, video camera, and general computer (oh, and phone I guess) in their pocket that all perform reasonably well for their expectations.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
We live in a world where even budget phones are really good and satisfies the needs of most people, it has been like this for the last 3-4 years for mid budget devices like those from OnePlus and now the low end is also great.

In order to drive sales they must reduce the premium on their devices since the competition is stronger than ever from companies like Huawai and Xiaomi, or increase the practical value of the phone by presenting new practical innovations this market hasn't seen in years.

Personally I still pay the premium for an Apple device since I vastly prefer them for the consistently fantastic hardware and software experience, along with the fact that I am way less trusting of how data is handled on Android devices since Google as a business preys on user data along with whatever the manufacturer might put on top.

Posted on my iPhone XS Max.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
If those asshats cut the price, sales would probably go back up. Also, who the fuck named these fucking phones.

Their whole scheme since the 8/X release has been garbage.

Oct 25, 2017
I used to upgrade every year.

Plan on rocking my iPhone X for a few years, the phones have gotten too pricy to keep upgrading for minimal changes.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
They're VERY expensive and they're excellent at lasting some years. Tough combo to overcome but like Tim Cook said to Jim Cramer, they don't care as long as when they do upgrade they end up getting iPhones. The services will be the more frequent recurring revenue in the end.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Yep, its the law of diminishing returns. What can a new phone offer me when I mainly use it to browse and watch movies? Even thinner than the ridiculously thin one I have already? Even more pixels on screen? A notch? A better zoom lens? No headphone jack?

I still miss the headphone jack with my iphone 7 lol

Other than, still has decent battery and charge time.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Apple needs to transition into a services company. Or people need to accept that they are a long term value company and not a growth company anymore.
I don't know if this is really unique to Apple though. Apple does provide longer OS support but even ignoring that and the high prices, people just seem generally satisfied with their phones. I don't imagine most Samsung Galaxy users that eager to spend $900 or whatever every couple of years to upgrade either.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Article makes a good point - a lot of people still use Sandy/Ivy Bridge and Haswell laptops and desktops today.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
turns out people don't want to spend $1000 on a phone every year when all they use is the facebook app. who could've seen that coming.

maybe take away a few more features ??? idk

l2iv6

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
still going strong on my 6S, but an upgrade would be nice just to idk... have the newer tech

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Glad that boom is ending. Buying electronics every year to replace the one you got the previous year was a disease.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Well some combination of those things have kind of consistently been what people have upgraded for. More pixels and a better camera are enough for many people. It might be getting to a point where what is currently being provided is enough and the prices don't justify upgrading, but you can reduce the upgrades of most technology like you did to make them sound pointless lol. "Upgrade to a new TV for what? More colors and pixels?"

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Price isn't their only issue. They need to make major changes to the OS to attract Android users looking for a change.
This is Tim Cook's Apple though so I doubt there will be any substantial changes. Cook seems like a very "stay the course" type of guy.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
Currently writing this on a 6S that I would have upgraded long ago if not for the removal of 32-bit apps, Touch ID, the physical home button, and especially the goddamn headphone jack. Still not sure what I'm gonna do when this one dies.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I am waiting for at least 2019 iPhone before considering an upgrade. My 128GB Jet Black iPhone 7 is still plenty for my needs.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I don't know if this is really unique to Apple though. Apple does provide longer OS support but even ignoring that and the high prices, people just seem generally satisfied with their phones. I don't imagine most Samsung Galaxy users that eager to spend $900 or whatever every couple of years to upgrade either.

Galaxy will lose marketshare but Samsung does a ton of other stuff already.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
My 2015 iPhone 6 is still working decently well. Obviously not working like it's brand new, but still very usable. Until it's unusable, I'll keep using it.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm only holding onto my current phone until they decide to release a new SE. Until then, my new phone is actually working fine *and* still has a headphone jack.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
There is no point in upgrading regularly. Even mid range phones are fantastic. Currently using a white Nokia 7, unless it dies, I imagine this phone will serve me for a long time.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
No. Regardless I don't think that would get the majority of people to switch. I feel like the average consumer just ignores OS updates altogether.

is that really possible on iOS? doesn't it prompt you like every day to update? I figure most people just give in and update.

regardless you are probably right, I doubt even 15% of the population knows how long their phones get security updates. Not really a selling point.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't have an iPhone, but as an owner of a Samsung Galaxy S9+ I can totally understand why the latest wave of customers are going to hanging onto their phones longer. The latest flagship phones are incredible, and offer performance way beyond what the average person needs. As others have pointed out, even most mid-range phones today offer great specs for excellent prices.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
is that really possible on iOS? doesn't it prompt you like every day to update? I figure most people just give in and update.
regardless you are probably right, I doubt even 15% of the population knows how long their phones get security updates. Not really a selling point.
Oh does it? I always dl updates as soon as possible but I assumed they were as ignorable as macOS updates, which I know people often "Remind me Later" forever. If they are less ignorable then forget what I said lol.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Rocking a OnePlus 6 I havent charged in 3 days, with plenty of battery left. It chews through everything I throw at it. It never slows down, hitches lags or anything and its got 8 fucking gigs of ram and 256GB storage, AND A HEADPHONE JACK. Like.... bruh. Assuming I hold on to this until I actually NEED to replace it? Would probably be 2022 or something.

All of the smartphone makers are going to feel this heat.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Been using the same phone since 2014. And before that I was using an ancient flip phone from 2007.

Clearly this means I am ahead of the curve.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I'm on my s7 and I'm very interested in an upgrade but after the foldable phone announcements I don't know what I'll get because I hold onto my phone for years. Before this S7 I had a Note 2.

Now my choices are S10, gen 1 foldable or wait for gen 2 foldable and I'm not comfortable with waiting.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the only thing keeping me with Apple is the Apple Watch. I hate all their new phones.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
IPhones no longer provide enough value for money.

With quality of Chinese phones on the increase and with no presence in India, they can no longer grow their phone market with absurd prices.
Did you just say quality and Chinese phones? Lmao. I mean yeah they work are they in any way as good as an Apple IOS phone? Certainly not. Not even close.