• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
iOS 12 was a mistake

Guarantee that's the last time they bother optimising the experience for older devices

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. I have an 8 right now and do not plan on upgrading it before it's fully paid off, a first for me in a long time. Have never had an iPhone for more than a year and a half before but this phone is so rock solid that there's no reason for me to upgrade. No bezels isn't doing anything for me in terms of dropping a grand on a new phone, next thing that would make me seriously consider upgrading is new battery technology. Even as my 8's battery degrades or I mess the screen up, I'm just going to pay Apple to replace the battery or fix the screen, I'll be good as long as the body of the phone doesn't break down.

iOS 12 was a mistake

Guarantee that's the last time they bother optimising the experience for older devices

Lol it was pretty funny how it legitimately hurts their business by making the software more stable and efficient. That's the risk you run when being a hardware manufacturer though.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
My 6S is slowly dying on me. I dropped it a thousand times and while i never broke the glass *knocks-on-wood* its starting to die.
My home button is done for quite a while already. The speaker for my ear is almost gone... i can barely hear when i call.
But i hope it will last a bit longer. Dont want to pay lots of money for a new phone

Just a though. You can also get a used phone, save money, and do good something good for the environment.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cameras are good enough, processors are powerful enough, screens are pretty enough, etc. How many people are putting a phone's full computing horsepower to use on games that require such power? Candy Crush and whatever else 99% of people play could've run on ebaums back in the day.

Aside from status symbol or replacing a broken phone, upgrading regularly doesn't make sense for most people. (not saying "status symbol" is rational, but that's a reason for some people).

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
New phones add things I don't want (notches) or things I don't care about (why do I need multiple front-facing cameras?), remove things I want (headphone jack, SD card slot, end-user-removable/replaceable batteries (I 'member)), and charge me more for it. Why would I replace my phone before I have to?

I just replaced my Windows Phone with a OnePlus 6 in November (RIP Windows Phone) and as much as this thing cost me, you better believe I'm keeping it as long as I can. Things this expensive aren't disposable.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also rocking the SE. At this point I would only upgrade if they made a 4.5" or 5" iPhone X styled SE. All their other phones are way too big.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Still on my Z3 from 2014 - going onwards to its 5th year. No issues. Even the battery is still pretty good since I never needed to charge very often (went 8 days in the beginning to now around 3-4 days).

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I have a HTC u11 and I'm still very happy with it, it's a step back when it comes to glass quality though from my previous phone, Motorola 4G and HTC One X, never got a scratch on my previous phones even after dropping it while cycling and on the toilet stone floor but my u11 dropped from my desk one month in and there's a crack the slash from one corner to the other diagonally. And it's crazy expensive to repair a HTCu11 screen and impossible to find a shop to repair it since every shop only does samsumg or iPhone.

Deleted member 23091

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Android owner here, phone is dying, thinking of switching to ios, not sure which iPhone I should get, the newer models are so expensive.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no real innovative features left for iPhones to come with. Not unless they start doing some Iron Man type future shit.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
When smartphones cost as much as laptops, people are going to upgrade them the same - ever 5-7 years

joeposh

Oct 27, 2017
I think we're really downplaying how much the death of carrier subsidies have impacted the smartphone market.

When it was a question of whether you wanted to pay $200 to $300 every 2-years for a new phone, most consumers were comfortable making the swap, even if the feature set didn't blow their old phone out of the water. It also made it easier to justify upgrading if your phone was a bit damaged or dying quickly.

Now, consumers are saving on cellphone bills, but that doesn't mean that they're willing to put that savings towards a $900-$1100 device. Many would rather pay for a repair/battery replacement, buy a lightly used device or wait until their phone is absolutely shot. That price point also eats into the "gifting" market that used to be so big around the holidays. Family members or significant others may have been willing to shell out a few hundred to cover an upgrade fee, but the full cost is too much.

Add that to what others have said about the general plateauing of phone tech, and you find yourself in a situation where only people who absolutely have to upgrade or who NEED the newest tech (also diminishing) are reliable customers. That's probably also why they've continued the price creep on the top end models, to juice the profit from a contracting base of consumers.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Other than the battery starting to shit itself my SE is doing fine. My 2013 Air is also doing fine besides heavy battery deterioration. Whenever I look at the price of new models for both phones and laptops I'm like "nah, I'm good."

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm going to stick with my SE til it dies. It's still fast and small. Aside from the new phones being expensive in general, they're just too big. I didn't even know they phased the SE out, that's a shame. If they don't provide a smaller size model in the coming years, I may have to drop iPhone even though I love iOS.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Put out another iPhone SE goddammit. Why does every phone have to be so fucking big.

This. I'm even willing to deal with my 6's size but when the phones they offer the size of my 6 don't have much different and the ones offering a feature that intrigues me are bigger and super expensive if I want one only slightly bigger, yeah. I'll just stay with my 6 and hold out for one I really want.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Is there really no real world demand for smaller phones? You go online and tons of people come out from the woodworks about how they have an SE and love it or want a smaller phone. But small phones are just a tiny niche of the smartphone market.

Are small phone lovers over represented in online forums like this or do they not make them because they would be cheaper and less profitable for the companies?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This was a predictable result of wireless companies no longer subsidizing phone costs. When people could get an iPhone for 'free' just by renewing their contract every two years, it was an easy decision.
Oh, didn't realize this.

I've been pre paid for some years now.

Apple finally doing cheaper phones and finally getting on pre paid carriers may have played a part for them too.

Maybe trying to compete directly with Android wasn't the best idea.

Just realized, if they didn't do cheaper phones and pre paid they might have felt the effects sooner.

Last edited:

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good. I begrudgingly upgraded my 6+ to an 8+ last year, but that was only because my wife needed a new one and they were B1G1 at AT&T. I hate their new designs, hated losing the 3.5mm jack, and hate Face ID. The cost/value preposition (for me) is dropping sharply every year. I have no plans for an upgrade until they figure their shit out.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Good. I begrudgingly upgraded my 6+ to an 8+ last year, but that was only because my wife needed a new one and they were B1G1 at AT&T. I hate their new designs, hated losing the 3.5mm jack, and hate Face ID. The cost/value preposition (for me) is dropping sharply every year. I have no plans for an upgrade until they figure their shit out.

I thought the 8's didn't have face Id? I thought that was X only?

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
My 5s is still doing great, and I have an SE lined up for when it eventually goes bad. Not upgrading to anything newer unless they bring back that type of design with a headphone jack (they won't).

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I used to upgrade every two years but I've kinda gotten over that after buying my X last year. My 7+ still worked fine but I was basically honoring old habits but barring something insane I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon. My contract is up in a year and I just don't see anything coming that could make me go "let's drop $1000 (x2 because of my husband)" any time soon.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whenever a new wave of phones comes out all the arguing that goes on about x phone being the most powerful or y phone being too weak always confuses me... I guess I just don't get what people use their phones for? I like my iPhone X plenty, but I browse the same internet, watch the same videos, listen to the same music, and play the same games pretty much exactly as I did on the 5S I upgraded from. The bigger/nicer screen is nice along with the better battery, but those aren't the kinds of things that are going to get me to buy a new $1k+ phone every year, or two, or three.

Oct 26, 2017
"Use your device longer" as a trend appears strange to me if only because I've always used my devices for longer. On avg 3-4yrs before upgrading simply because phone development has seldom been anything but linear (to me) I.e. the old phone was seldom if ever obsolete within 3-4yrs

Same. This idea that people HAVE TO buy new phones annually is something I've never understood. All you'd be doing is spending unnecessary amounts of money.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Used to upgrade every year, stopped with the Iphone 7, still have that and don't plan to upgrade soon.