• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, when you compare it against what Disney is offering, assuming you're interested in the content, Disney is offering a hell of a more value than Apple is since it can lean on legacy content. It's even worse when you factor in the deal pricing which makes it cheaper than Apple. So stacking the two up against each other, Apple really seems not worth it as a value proposition when you stand it up against Disney+. On the other hand, it's only $5 which is a trip to Starbucks. Then again, plenty of people will still find that expensive of a value proposition. It'll be interesting to see how Apple TV+ being a bit more limited in accessibility will play when stacking up against other services too.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. I just bought a 4k Samsung last November, how do we know if it's on the list?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Going to need see some impressions before blindly jumping in. I'm pretty much full with the streaming services. Might jump in for a month to check it out.

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
from what I seen 4.99 is still too much
Was gonna say, they've shown off their big hitters for the near future and it's pretty dire. I'm guessing giving a year away with pretty much every hardware sale is being done for a reason. Some people saying the 4.99 price is going to make Netflix sweat. I laughed.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I still can't see this competing with Netflix or Disney+. Launch catalog is weak to say the least. For all mankind looks decent, See looks well produced with a ridiculous premise and Dickinson I couldn't even make it through the trailer.

I hope they extend the offer to recently purchased devices, because there is no way I'd pay $5 for it currently.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Nope...and I still wouldn't subscribe if it were $3. The last thing I need is more new TV shows to watch. And that Jennifer Aniston show looks dreadful.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Because they lack content, Apple TV+ feels like something you can wait 6 months to a year for them to build up any sort of content, subscribe for a month and watch anything of interest and then stop for another 6 months to a year and repeat.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Because they lack content, Apple TV+ feels like something you can wait 6 months to a year for them to build up any sort of content, subscribe for a month and watch anything of interest and then stop for another 6 months to a year and repeat.

Yeah pretty much this. They should buy Sony Pictures. If they want to be serious in the streaming wars. If not, it is a nice companion piece for people with apple devices and that entry point might be enough for people that are okay with the small numbers of original content that Apple will produce.

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Not seeing the free year of service anywhere when I try to buy an iPad.

Small print says:
"Offer good for 3 months after eligible device activation, starting November 1, 2019. Plan automatically renews until cancelled. Restrictions and other terms apply."

Is that saying this deal begins on November 1? Or that November 1st is when you can activate the offer?

Last edited:

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How far along are they with The Foundation adaptation?

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Not seeing the free year of service anywhere when I try to buy an iPad.

Small print says:
"Offer good for 3 months after eligible device activation, starting November 1, 2019. Plan automatically renews until cancelled. Restrictions and other terms apply."

Is that saying this deal begins on November 1? Or that November 1st is when you can activate the offer?

Hm that's weird

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
They touted 4.99 for the whole family... I'm not sure if the elaborated on that but if sharing is a thing, I dunno how many paid subscribers they're really going to have the first year. If you're an apple fanboy, you'll probably buy some kind of hardware to get the deal. If you're not, 4.99 for a handful of originals you can just pay five bucks for a few months down the line and binge (if you really want to see it), or just finding someone that bought an apple product to be your family, doesn't seem like a winning proposition.

Now if they had other content, sure, but if they do they sure aren't happy to show it.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe there is a new Ghostwriter series. I use to watch that show as kid all the time.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Dont really see the point of getting this until at least year 3 unless they also have a catalogue of other studio releases like netflix and hulu do

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
Anyone knows more about the offer with new devices? I bought an Apple TV about 2 weeks ago and Im not sure if Im then eligible.

Oct 31, 2017
That's a nice price and I might get an iphone in a month or so, but I'm gonna get like an iphone 8 or iphone 7 plus. Hopefully that counts. I want a free year.

I still think Apple needs a major acquisition like SPE, CBSViacom, Lionsgate, or MGM for their library and producing capabilities if they truly want to compete.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
  • "For All Mankind," a new series from Ronald D. Moore, imagines what would have happened if the global space race never ended and the space program remained the cultural centerpiece of America's hopes and dreams.
Sounds fantastic.

Possumowner

Oct 27, 2017
Uk
I mean it's cheap,but it's barely got any shows on it,and the ones it has aren't exactly inspiring...but that free year with a new Apple device is fantastic

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly interested in the new Apple Watch but it doesn't seem like it'd get me a year of free subscription :(

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this isn't gonna compete with Disney+ as much as HBO Max which, in a year or two, might be a very interesting comparison

If Apple gets one big hit people will be in. Just like Sopranos

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

AppleTV+ starts November 1st, so your free year won't start until then.

The 3 month clock to subscribe, that one is unclear. I suspect that clock ALSO won't start until november 1st, purely because without the app service there's no method of subscription. I suppose it's possible they dumbly look at your purchase date (making it a 1.5 month clock for iPhone 11 early adopters) but it seems easier from a software perspective to just treat Nov 1 as day zero.

If the clock does start purely on purchase date, then I would guess the TV app will offer a way to "pre-subscribe" when it receives the TV+ update (for iOS13 maybe? 13.1?)

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Year 1. Entice people with free Apple TV+ subscription and build habit
Year 2. Transition people to paid subscription
Year 3. Transition people to Apple TV+ + Apple Music + Apple Arcade combo subscription

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They rush their service to launch this year ahead of everyone and fill up contents later. I guess Apple will make big purchase soon but no big studio available for sell these day.

Apple will play the long game here. As they typically do. Still kinda bummed they didn't show the M.Night series. That's the only thing I'm interested in.