• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first episode of The Morning Show. It was okay. I'm a pretty big sucker for these kinds of shows, so I'll keep watching, and it was really well-acted, but some of the dialogue is super on the nose. Like, super on the nose, it was hard to not roll my eyes a couple times just because it felt like no human would actually say things like this.

But overall it was decent enough, i'll give it a few more episodes.

empyrean2k

Oct 27, 2017
Is the one year free thing an on going
Thing or a limited time thing? I'm going to get a 4K tv soon so will upgrade to an Apple TV 4K but not until after Xmas. Do we know if this promotion will still be on?

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So I watched through all three episodes of For All Mankind and thoroughly enjoyed them. No idea when Apple plans to release more though, you'd think they'd have some indication of that in their own Apple TV interface? Did I miss something obvious or is this just rubbish UI?

Not sure if it is on the UI but new episodes are Friday. I'd imagine you'll get a push notification when a new episode is out if you have the Apple TV app on your phone.

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
Not sure if it is on the UI but new episodes are Friday. I'd imagine you'll get a push notification when a new episode is out if you have the Apple TV app on your phone.

Thanks, good to know. Would have liked them to make it clearer though. I got to the end of the third episode expecting a fourth to be available. Guess it speaks to my enjoyment of the show I wanted more though :)

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, good to know. Would have liked them to make it clearer though. I got to the end of the third episode expecting a fourth to be available. Guess it speaks to my enjoyment of the show I wanted more though :)

I think they'll add all these things in future. It's like beta even though they charge 4.99 most users will probably be on a. Trial for a year.

For me I'm paying as I haven't bought a new device in a year. But paying 5.99 canadian isn't much when I know my parents will enjoy morning show and truth be told and probably the movies.

I know there's no catalog but I rather pay a fee for new shows and movies somethjng I haven't experienced then pay for a back catalog of stuff I've already seen.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
For All Mankind, See, and The Morning Show all show that they update with new episodes every Friday (on IMDB and Rottentomatoes). See will have 8 eps, and TMS and FAM will have 10. But you're right, Apple should indicate that within the app. It's also weird that one show launched with every episode while the other shows are week-by-week. I'm willing to tolerate because so far I'm really enjoying the content.

Nov 30, 2018
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/flatforums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12779

Apple TV+ has highest the streaming quality we've seen for 4K so far. It's higher than most iTunes movies. Over the weekend, I took the first batch of measurements. I'm planning to do more later. It's worth pointing out that Apple TV+ uses variable bitrate with a quite wide span from low to top, so the console must run for some time to calculate the average bitrate.

See has the highest bitrate so far. 29 Mb/s average video bitrate and 41 Mb/s video peak (I don't know if it hits that occasionally or rarely, since the console only reports average and peak).

So that's approximately 1.5-2x the video bitrate of a typical HD Blu-ray disc (due to HEVC vs. AVC) and around half of a typical UHD Blu-ray disc (also using HEVC).

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend and I have been watching the Morning Show and we really like it. There's something slightly off about it, maybe it's trying a little too hard sometimes? I'm planning on watching For all Mankind next. I'm not sure I'd really be subscribing if there wasn't a trial. I'd probably be just letting the shows finish and binging them unless they have some big content plans.

Skyejack

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
My girlfriend and I have been watching the Morning Show and we really like it. There's something slightly off about it, maybe it's trying a little too hard sometimes? I'm planning on watching For all Mankind next. I'm not sure I'd really be subscribing if there wasn't a trial. I'd probably be just letting the shows finish and binging them unless they have some big content plans.
Everyone is trying so desperately to show you which character archetype they are. There's like zero nuance. It's all so tiresome, but I enjoy the subject matter so I'm sticking with it. I'm assuming like most shows, they'll tone that stuff way back later once they're satisfied that you know who each character really is. I never expect the close-ups of iPhones to go away though.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
For All Mankind, See, and The Morning Show all show that they update with new episodes every Friday (on IMDB and Rottentomatoes). See will have 8 eps, and TMS and FAM will have 10. But you're right, Apple should indicate that within the app. It's also weird that one show launched with every episode while the other shows are week-by-week. I'm willing to tolerate because so far I'm really enjoying the content.

I believe it'll be on a case by case basis. Like the kids shows I think all got released at once. I'm on episode 4 of ghostwriter. Haven't checked snoopy in space yet but seems to be all available.

I'm sure the app will be updated with all the feedback they received.

Anyone check out elephant queen?

Skyejack

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
The Banker looks like it could be really fun. Looking forward to that, and it wasn't even on the long list of projects that I saw associated with Apple, which I assume means Apple simply bought it and didn't finance it initially.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
The Banker looks like it could be really fun. Looking forward to that, and it wasn't even on the long list of projects that I saw associated with Apple, which I assume means Apple simply bought it and didn't finance it initially.

I believe most of the films that are going to premiere on Apple TV+ are bought. I think just recently they might be financing actually movies. I could be wrong though.

Edit. And the banker looks great.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
My wife fancies watching The Morning Show. And I'd like to watch For All Mankind.

But dammit I can't get the Apple website to accept my payment information. I go for the free week trial, then it asks for payment information, but nothing at all happens when I hit "next". Absolutely no idea what's wrong with it.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
My wife fancies watching The Morning Show. And I'd like to watch For All Mankind.

But dammit I can't get the Apple website to accept my payment information. I go for the free week trial, then it asks for payment information, but nothing at all happens when I hit "next". Absolutely no idea what's wrong with it.
Have you tried it through the app itself? Set mine up that way with Apple Pay and it was nice and easy.

SirThou

Oct 27, 2017
Catching the frees of each show before I start my 7 day free trial:

Morning Show E01 was good, definitely got me interested in seeing if (and how) they explore the sexual misconduct stuff and it's definitely well acted. Caught quite a few clumsy lines of expository dialogue that I hope they'll have to use less and less as the show goes on.
Dickinson E01 was a nice surprise. Lots of intentional tonal confusion that... just works? Looking forward to catching the rest of that one.

Gonna give See a shot tonight. They fill in this catalogue a little more and I'm pretty good to pay for 2 or 3 months. Really looking forward to Truth Be Told.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend and I have been watching the Morning Show and we really like it. There's something slightly off about it, maybe it's trying a little too hard sometimes?
I can definitely see that. I like it, but there are times where it feels like it's an answer to a "make a high production values show that looks like Sorkin made it" order.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
The service is super worth it if you have a 4K hdr tv. These are legit some of the best 4K hdr I have ever seen from a streaming service. Elephant queen blew me away!

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
This week-by-week BS needs to stop.

Dickinson dropped all episodes at once and literally 4 days later no one is talking about it. Releasing weekly episodes at least ensures that people will have something to talk about in the coming weeks w/r/t Morning Show, See, and For All Mankind. It's honestly a very smart strategy.

Mar 27, 2019
So I got the free year with my iPad I bought a few months ago apparently. Is there any good nerdy shit I should be watching? Like 80s-90s anime or any good indie flicks?

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
The thing with full screen on my MacBook Pro 2016 15" they need to change it. I dont like how instead of the picture not being centred, They raise the full screen to the top so there's big bottom of black instead of the top and bottom. It just looks off.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
I've gotten error messages with 3 of the 4 shows so far, in that they wouldn't load. Not a great start in that regard.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dickinson dropped all episodes at once and literally 4 days later no one is talking about it. Releasing weekly episodes at least ensures that people will have something to talk about in the coming weeks w/r/t Morning Show, See, and For All Mankind. It's honestly a very smart strategy.
At the same time they are pretty much putting people to a choice as to whether or not they want to renew their subscription (or extend their free trial) to see all the episodes. I understand the strategy, but I feel like it could just as easily backfire.

Some part of retaining subscribers has to be providing so much content that they stay signed on just because they haven't watched everything yet, and that fosters a "I won't cancel because I still need to get around to watching xxxx show" mentality. If people are able to exhaust all available content in the first month (or the trial week) then they may just drop out with the intention of returning at some date in the far future (or never return at all).

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
At the same time they are pretty much putting people to a choice as to whether or not they want to renew their subscription (or extend their free trial) to see all the episodes. I understand the strategy, but I feel like it could just as easily backfire.

Some part of retaining subscribers has to be providing so much content that they stay signed on just because they haven't watched everything yet, and that fosters a "I won't cancel because I still need to get around to watching xxxx show" mentality. If people are able to exhaust all available content in the first month (or the trial week) then they may just drop out with the intention of returning at some date in the far future (or never return at all).

They don't have the content though, and if they released every episode at once, literally nobody would have any incentive to keep their subscriptions for more than a single month - even the people who enjoyed all 5 of their shows would have no reason to subscribe once they had seen all the episodes.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Disney+ and HBO Max are also doing weekly releases. It's just the way it is. Hulu and amazon have done it they way too in the past.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
And with spoilers all over the web it would suck to be spoiled by accident. Imagine game of thrones binged. Someone would rush to the end and just post spoilers everywhere and ruin it for a lot of people.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I got the Student 3 month trial for Apple Music which also gives Apple TV+. Cancelled my Spotify family because why not. Apple Music looks great but seems so slow on Android and it definitely sucks (iTunes!) on Windows. Fucking hell how can Apple do such a bad job. It was always my plan to just test it for 3 months but they did an awesome job of making sure that it will only be 3 months, ever. Then I will jump to the Youtube Music train because I use so much Youtube that not having ads showing up will be a huge plus for me.

Back to Apple TV+, watched the 3 episodes of The Morning Show and enjoyed it. Still have no idea if I will even try to watch anything else, time will tell. Here in Brazil the TV+ catalogue is just the Apple Original productions, not a single second of anything else. This is what I call courage! (I am assuming I am getting the Brazilian content even though my account is Spanish).

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
There are exceptions to this rule, but I like bingeing half hours and weekly watching one hours.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I will say that the sharing is really frustrating. Why can't you share TV channels without having a shared credit card for the entire family and no option to use a different credit card when purchasing something.

Oct 2, 2018
I just bought an iphone 11 pro max (at launch) and I find it really irritating that I'm guessing we don't get the free year?

Meh.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
I got the Student 3 month trial for Apple Music which also gives Apple TV+. Cancelled my Spotify family because why not. Apple Music looks great but seems so slow on Android and it definitely sucks (iTunes!) on Windows. Fucking hell how can Apple do such a bad job. It was always my plan to just test it for 3 months but they did an awesome job of making sure that it will only be 3 months, ever. Then I will jump to the Youtube Music train because I use so much Youtube that not having ads showing up will be a huge plus for me.

Back to Apple TV+, watched the 3 episodes of The Morning Show and enjoyed it. Still have no idea if I will even try to watch anything else, time will tell. Here in Brazil the TV+ catalogue is just the Apple Original productions, not a single second of anything else. This is what I call courage! (I am assuming I am getting the Brazilian content even though my account is Spanish).

Everyone only has access to Apple original productions. It's only new content Apple creates or bought. No back catalog.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Everyone only has access to Apple original productions. It's only new content Apple creates or bought. No back catalog.
Ouch, so weird. I thought they had some backlog deal in other countries. Anyway, better to focus on that than a bunch of old series and movies I am not interested in. And only Apple is able to pull this off, release a streaming service that costs almost the same as others and has less content than I have fingers lol

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I will say that the sharing is really frustrating. Why can't you share TV channels without having a shared credit card for the entire family and no option to use a different credit card when purchasing something.

nvm just figured it out, you have to set up your family, share the TV channels including Apple TV+, and the under settings turn off Shared Family purchases.

Skyejack

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Out of nowhere John Mulaney shows up as David Henry Thoreau. Loving Dickinson more with each episode.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Got my Apple TV 4K from the ATT deal yesterday. Came in two days. So far I added all of the usual apps and watched some YouTube TV. One thing that will take getting used to is how sensitive the touchpad is on the Apple TV remote (I know you can also use your phone). When scrubbing through commercials on YouTube TV it took some getting used to.

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Morning Show is overwrought dreck so far. Reese playing a character that in my opinion should be played by someone more believable as an ingenue.