• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Got my Apple TV 4K from the ATT deal yesterday. Came in two days. So far I added all of the usual apps and watched some YouTube TV. One thing that will take getting used to is how sensitive the touchpad is on the Apple TV remote (I know you can also use your phone). When scrubbing through commercials on YouTube TV it took some getting used to.
If your smart TV has a native YouTube app, use that. The Apple TV YouTube app is terrible. It doesn't go up to 4k, and stream quality is consistently terrible compared to other sources. I would get crushed blacks and artifacting constantly on Apple TV 4K YouTube that I never saw on my LG native app.

Other apps are solid, but YouTube is a weird anomaly where it's a very bad experience on Apple TV 4K

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If your smart TV has a native YouTube app, use that. The Apple TV YouTube app is terrible. It doesn't go up to 4k, and stream quality is consistently terrible compared to other sources. I would get crushed blacks and artifacting constantly on Apple TV 4K YouTube that I never saw on my LG native app.

Other apps are solid, but YouTube is a weird anomaly where it's a very bad experience on Apple TV 4K

I have a Samsung TV which has the apps. You experience this with the regular YouTube app and YouTube TV?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Samsung TV which has the apps. You experience this with the regular YouTube app and YouTube TV?
I only use the regular YouTube app, not YouTube TV. I'm not sure why the quality there would be better though, especially in regards to not outputting in 4K due to Apple and YouTube's codec issues. The YouTube app on Apple TV devices caps out at 1080p, it simply won't do 4K videos even if the YouTube video offers it, which alone should be enough to drive you away to a better source if you have one. But even the 1080p quality is really poor, I'm not sure why.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Disney+ and HBO Max are also doing weekly releases. It's just the way it is. Hulu and amazon have done it they way too in the past.
Netflix has done it with stuff in the past as well, albeit I think on shows that originate on conventional TV and it just distributed internationally (e.g. Breaking Bad and Star Trek Discovery outside the US, Great British Bake Off outside the UK).

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I only use the regular YouTube app, not YouTube TV. I'm not sure why the quality there would be better though, especially in regards to not outputting in 4K due to Apple and YouTube's codec issues. The YouTube app on Apple TV devices caps out at 1080p, which alone should be enough to drive you away to a better source if you have one. But even the 1080p quality is really poor, I'm not sure why.

Ok, I'll test out the regular YouTube app tonight. YouTube TV doesn't broadcast in 4k but I'll switch back to the Samsung app if the stream quality seems bad. Thanks!

Netflix has done it with stuff in the past as well, albeit I think on shows that originate on conventional TV and it just distributed internationally (e.g. Breaking Bad and Star Trek Discovery outside the US, Great British Bake Off outside the UK).

Yep which also reminds me that CBS All Access also doesn't the weekly content drops.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
At first I didn't care about See but yesterday night I found out that the soundtrack album is under the same name as the guy that did God of War's soundtrack, so now I'm hyped that it might actually be epic. Gonna give it a go later this week.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
For All Mankind: Watched the first episode, premise seems neat, am I supposed to hate the sullen Joel Kinnaman character and his shitty sports car friends? Cuz I do. I feel asleep near the end of the episode, I'll probably give it another go because I want to like it

Ghostwriter: Watched 3 episodes with my son, he's into it. I want to say the old Ghostwriter was funnier but that's probably a great deal of nostalgia. I like how pure and uncynical it is, it does a good job of capturing that. Probably won't watch any more but my family might.

The Morning Show: Watched the first episode twice. The first time through I was really impressed with the production quality, the second time some of the dialogue really made me cringe. Someone earlier said it feels like they are trying way too hard and I agree. Its like they are trying to present this show as being so of the moment (coal protests, broadcast tv dying, Me Too, ideological journalism, etc) without making these things feel like stuff real humans would say. Something about it is compelling though so I will probably watch at least one more episode.

See: This show is straight bananas. Very nice looking, pretty good performances, great audio but the story is so awful its easy to wonder if it was meant to be a joke. Theres a part where a character masturbates on screen while praying, and I guess that is meant to show you that they are evil or crazy? I dunno its wild. I might watch another to see if this train wreck gets more interesting

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Theres a part where a character masturbates on screen while praying, and I guess that is meant to show you that they are evil or crazy? I dunno its wild.
Keep with it, because they kick that up a notch soon. lol it's so ridiculous, but also watchable thanks in part to the amazing visuals and audio. Apple were really smart to go with such a high bitrate. It has made me more interested in watching Apple TV than Netflix/Hulu/Amazon at the moment. If Disney launches with worse visuals, it's going to be really disappointing. If I see any pixelation in Star Wars or Marvel movies, I'm gonna nope out of that service and just rent Disney movies on Apple TV.

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
Am I insane or is that music choice too much for that trailer? Feels like it could use something a little more muted.

Skyejack

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
I'll give it a chance, but that trailer did nothing to entice me.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
The Morning Show: Watched the first episode twice. The first time through I was really impressed with the production quality, the second time some of the dialogue really made me cringe. Someone earlier said it feels like they are trying way too hard and I agree. Its like they are trying to present this show as being so of the moment (coal protests, broadcast tv dying, Me Too, ideological journalism, etc) without making these things feel like stuff real humans would say. Something about it is compelling though so I will probably watch at least one more episode.

I think Aniston said in an interview that they've rewritten the script to include the metoo angle at one point, not sure how accurate that is but it would explain the criticism of the writing of this show. I might try to give one episode a chance but I'm still not over how much this show cost to make, especially when the first time I heard of it was a couple weeks ago when Aniston was unenthusiastically promoting it on Kimmel. See sounds bananas.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
My SO and I are hooked on The Morning Show. Yes, the dialogue can be cringy but the premise is so interesting, and everyone involved is an asshole in different ways.

Aniston isn't the greatest actress tho, it's essentially if Rachel was in a drama.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix proves the opposite.

Apples to oranges. Netflix started with a massive back catalog of films and TV and have ramped up their slate of originals to the point where they can release at least one full season every week to keep people engaged. But even then, discussion for even their biggest shows dies down after only a week or two.

Apple has no back catalog so they literally have no choice but to release new episodes weekly as a means of maintaining their subscribers (unlike Hulu which does have a back catalog but still chooses to do a 3 -> weekly schedule for most of their shows). This will have the added benefit of keeping their shows in ~The Discourse~ for far longer than they otherwise might.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying See for what it is, the rest I haven't had much interest in, but one thing with Apple TV+. The streaming quality is amazing!

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apples to oranges. Netflix started with a massive back catalog of films and TV and have ramped up their slate of originals to the point where they can release at least one full season every week to keep people engaged. But even then, discussion for even their biggest shows dies down after only a week or two.

Apple has no back catalog so they literally have no choice but to release new episodes weekly as a means of maintaining their subscribers (unlike Hulu which does have a back catalog but still chooses to do a 3 -> weekly schedule for most of their shows). This will have the added benefit of keeping their shows in ~The Discourse~ for far longer than they otherwise might.
I don't believe people want to talk about awful shows, at least Netflix got a major hit with House of Cards.

You got shows that just look pretty but have nothing else to them with Apple

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Servant looks really intriguing. The trailer maybe spoilt a little too much though? Guess I'll find out

D23

Oct 25, 2017
streaming quality is legit A++- See looks just as good as the revenant on UHD disc

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Dickinson dropped all episodes at once and literally 4 days later no one is talking about it. Releasing weekly episodes at least ensures that people will have something to talk about in the coming weeks w/r/t Morning Show, See, and For All Mankind. It's honestly a very smart strategy.
By far the better choice. One of the reasons I'm getting more and more annoyed by Netflix is that they drop way too much content and expect you to watch and remember it.

Earlier this week I came to the realization that I remember almost nothing about End of the Fucking World season 1. I know I watched it, fairly certain I enjoyed. But aside from the very basic two-line premise I could tell you nothing about it. Maybe the show is just forgettable, but more likely it's because I binged it when it came out a year ago, and then a few days later forgot about it until now. Had it been a slow 13-week affair, even though it would only have taken me an hour every week, it would have been a much more prominent thing in my mind.

I am glad both Apple and Disney are following the weekly release schedule. Hope it becomes the norm.

Skyejack

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
No one is forcing you to watch every episode of a Netflix release. Releasing shows all at once is good for everyone. Except maybe for the people who spend their nights and days fretting over OMG spoilers.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to watch Apple TV on a windows PC? Is there like an app or something or is it just on apple devices.

SirThou

Oct 27, 2017
Servant looks good. I've avoided anything M. Night since 2010 but the hook in Servant is definitely intriguing and will likely pull me in.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the first 3 episodes of the morning show. I'm really enjoying it and it ended right where it was getting good. Looking forward to Friday to the new episodes.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Had no clue that folks with Apple Music student accounts can use Apple TV+ and watch original shows for free. I was wondering why my For All Mankind episodes kept playing without charging me.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Man I don't like any of the shows yet.

See is pretty bad.

See is awful. I couldn't sit through it.

I reluctantly tried Apple TV+ in part to watch that show (as nothing else appeals to me), but mainly to check out the higher bitrate streaming that Apple TV+ is offering.

Nothing else on this service looks appealing, although that trailer for Servant posted in this thread looks fantastic.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
For All Mankind: Watched the first episode, premise seems neat, am I supposed to hate the sullen Joel Kinnaman character and his shitty sports car friends? Cuz I do. I feel asleep near the end of the episode, I'll probably give it another go because I want to like it

Ghostwriter: Watched 3 episodes with my son, he's into it. I want to say the old Ghostwriter was funnier but that's probably a great deal of nostalgia. I like how pure and uncynical it is, it does a good job of capturing that. Probably won't watch any more but my family might.

See: This show is straight bananas. Very nice looking, pretty good performances, great audio but the story is so awful its easy to wonder if it was meant to be a joke. Theres a part where a character masturbates on screen while praying, and I guess that is meant to show you that they are evil or crazy? I dunno its wild. I might watch another to see if this train wreck gets more interesting
Are you not aware of sex magic? Praying like that is common in many occult or pagan faiths.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
At the same time they are pretty much putting people to a choice as to whether or not they want to renew their subscription (or extend their free trial) to see all the episodes. I understand the strategy, but I feel like it could just as easily backfire.

Some part of retaining subscribers has to be providing so much content that they stay signed on just because they haven't watched everything yet, and that fosters a "I won't cancel because I still need to get around to watching xxxx show" mentality. If people are able to exhaust all available content in the first month (or the trial week) then they may just drop out with the intention of returning at some date in the far future (or never return at all).

That's the problem, there is no library or catalog for other people to lean on. There would be no reason for people to sub more than a month if they released everything all at once

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this ever gonna get an LG TV app, or are they expecting me to just use it on my phone? Lol

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you have to do to get the free year? Wife bought a iPhone 11 yesterday so I guess we qualify.