• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SEBattleship

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So I've had an Apple TV for a few years and I just checked and am able to watch all the TV + content despite not buying any new hardware. Am I missing something?

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
I love that they snuck a few words of the Lord's Prayer in there to make it a little more fucked up
Makes sense, they no nothing of the past so they just take bits and pieces of ancient human culture are melt it into there beliefs. There is some issues clearly with see. But some of the things I'm seeing from critics are kind of dumb. One talked about the slaver fight and how weird it was he kept cutting completely around the whole neck. At first it looked funny to me, but then I realized if you are blind you can't be 100% sure the first slice was front of the neck, so cut all the way around to be sure. I think the show is just to out there for most people lol.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
The morning show is really good can't see why the reviews are so so

I am loving the cast I hope it gets a season 2

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Wife and I really enjoyed Dickison, it's not perfect but it's the right amount of cheese, over the top acting and fun that it's very enjoyable.

One thing though, the relationship between Emily and her father is...weird. Really weird.

See is really good too, was quite surprised after the so-so reviews. Haven't watched For All Mankind or The Morning Show yet, but so far it's a good start from Apple.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting a lot more interesting stuff in a year when people's free year will be up

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
They have now added a banner in the app to say when new episodes air. I know that was one complaint people had.

E1kQ6nf.jpg

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to watching the morning show. Man the reviews were way off. Not sure why they were so rough. It's not ground breaking tv, but it's damn better then I was expecting. It gives me a water downed Newsroom feel and I'm ok with that.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 4 of The Morning Show is a clear indication that we need an OT as soon as possible.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
I've decided I must have bad taste as I've liked all the shows so far. For All Mankind is my favorite.

I took the plunge and bought an Apple TV box resolving my C8 woes of no app. I figure a year free of + was a good incentive over a Roku. I'm really impressed with how smooth it is. Really happy with it. The only thing I dislike is the remote. It's not terrible but I'd prefer a more Roku like remote.

Now to watch some of these shows on my TV! I'm excited.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
I've decided I must have bad taste as I've liked all the shows so far. For All Mankind is my favorite.

I took the plunge and bought an Apple TV box resolving my C8 woes of no app. I figure a year free of + was a good incentive over a Roku. I'm really impressed with how smooth it is. Really happy with it. The only thing I dislike is the remote. It's not terrible but I'd prefer a more Roku like remote.

Now to watch some of these shows on my TV! I'm excited.

Same man. I love all the shows man. And I am really enjoying the production values too. My 7 day trial ended and was charged 6.29 canadian I think. I'm fine with that as I rather watch new content then old content that I've seen before. So paying 6.29 a month and getting a couple of original movies and the tv series is perfectly fine with me.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If your smart TV has a native YouTube app, use that. The Apple TV YouTube app is terrible. It doesn't go up to 4k, and stream quality is consistently terrible compared to other sources. I would get crushed blacks and artifacting constantly on Apple TV 4K YouTube that I never saw on my LG native app.

Other apps are solid, but YouTube is a weird anomaly where it's a very bad experience on Apple TV 4K

Crushed blacks happen in some SDR apps (like Youtube) if you're using the default Dolby Vision All The Things mode that the Apple TV 4K does. I vastly prefer to keep the Apple TV in SDR mode and only let it switch to Dolby Vision when the content is Dolby Vision. The only downside is that the screensavers are less pretty, but SDR apps are going to look the way they are supposed to look.

Skyejack

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Old timey people bitching about spoilers like modern day whiners is pretty funny. Didn't know I needed a show like Dickinson but I'm glad it exists and I'm happy they released it all at once the way god intended. It got better and better as the season progressed.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The new remote is kinda terrible. Siri integration is nice and oh god I love being able to use my phone's keyboard to enter text but actual menu navigation is imprecise as hell. Especially when your app isn't designed around the limitations of touchpad navigation like the Youtube app.

Thankfully, you can use other remotes to control it. Remotes with NAVIGATION BUTTONS. Even remotes that weren't explicitly designed for the Apple TV.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
Same man. I love all the shows man. And I am really enjoying the production values too. My 7 day trial ended and was charged 6.29 canadian I think. I'm fine with that as I rather watch new content then old content that I've seen before. So paying 6.29 a month and getting a couple of original movies and the tv series is perfectly fine with me.

Exactly what I was thinking. It's a good price and I was planning on keeping my sub, so the free year is a nice benefit.

The new remote is kinda terrible. Siri integration is nice and oh god I love being able to use my phone's keyboard to enter text but actual menu navigation is imprecise as hell. Especially when your app isn't designed around the limitations of touchpad navigation like the Youtube app.

Thankfully, you can use other remotes to control it. Remotes with NAVIGATION BUTTONS. Even remotes that weren't explicitly designed for the Apple TV.

Any you recommend? The touch thing just isn't that great so definitely interested in a good replacement.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Any you recommend? The touch thing just isn't that great so definitely interested in a good replacement.
It works with most remotes so I'd try your current TV remote. https://support.apple.com/guide/tv/use-other-remotes-atvb0410f604/tvos

You might have to be clever about which buttons you use with the Apple TV if you go with your actual TV remote though. Otherwise, this site lists some good alternatives: https://www.imore.com/best-remotes-apple-tv

You can also pair it with the old Apple TV remote if you have one of those.

edit: It even works with an Xbox One or PS4 controller.

Last edited:

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
It works with most remotes so I'd try your current TV remote. https://support.apple.com/guide/tv/use-other-remotes-atvb0410f604/tvos

You might have to be clever about which buttons you use with the Apple TV if you go with your actual TV remote though. Otherwise, this site lists some good alternatives: https://www.imore.com/best-remotes-apple-tv

You can also pair it with the old Apple TV remote if you have one of those.

edit: It even works with an Xbox One or PS4 controller.

Thank you! So funny story, I pulled up the support guide you linked and went to grab the Apple remote to open settings to map my TV remote but I accidentally picked up the TV remote and it just worked! So that annoyance is solved. :)

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Elephant Queen is a must watch. Easily one of the best animal documentaries I've seen in recent years.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
There has been nothing on the service that made me want to invest any time or money into it, HOWEVER, Snoopy in Space sounds like the one thing, the only thing that could get me to buy in.

Is it like classic wholesome Peanuts?

it's wholesome. A little faster paced than the classic stuff but still very much peanuts. I found it enjoyable, and my kids have watched it all several times now.

There's a few clips on YouTube if you want to check out what it's like:

Oct 28, 2017
it's wholesome. A little faster paced than the classic stuff but still very much peanuts. I found it enjoyable, and my kids have watched it all several times now.

There's a few clips on YouTube if you want to check out what it's like:

I literally watched 30sec of that and as soon as Lucy pops her head over the console I said yup, that's a purchase! Damn it all, I was only supposed to buy in to Disney Plus and drop Netflix and Hulu...

giphy.gif

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I guess I'll wait until there is a Xbox One or PS4 app? They're not supporting the Samsung KS8000 even though it's perfectly fine. I can get the year free, but nothing to watch it on unless I hook the new MB Air to the TV or buy an Apple TV.

Skyejack

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
So I guess I'll wait until there is a Xbox One or PS4 app? They're not supporting the Samsung KS8000 even though it's perfectly fine. I can get the year free, but nothing to watch it on unless I hook the new MB Air to the TV or buy an Apple TV.
XB1 app is available now and PS4 will get one tomorrow.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
the morning show is really really good guys! don't sleep on it!! i just binge watched succession and im glad i picked up morning show as my next show!! too bad i cant binge watch it!!

Skyejack

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
the morning show is really really good guys! don't sleep on it!! i just binge watched succession and im glad i picked up morning show as my next show!! too bad i cant binge watch it!!
Yep, the week long wait between episodes is a huge boner killer. Netflix does this stuff right.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Can't get this to work through the browser on Xbox or PS4 which sucks. No idea how Apple can't get this app on popular devices if they want more people watching.