• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone own 3:10 to Yuma on iTunes? I'm trying to watch it on Apple 4ktv. I don't know if the transfer sucks or I'm just getting bad streaming quality from my ATV. it looks like a sd dvd. There's no way this is what 4K steaming should look like. I made this post in the apple thread yesterday :

So I gotta say watching ITunes movies on Apple 4ktv is pretty underwhelming. The HDR looks like ass. Watching on an 2015 LG Oled with a solid hdmi cable and pretty decent internet connection. My tv doesn't have Dolby Vision but does have HDR 10. UHD's look great btw.

Pretty disappointwith the "soft " picture on iTunes movies because the menus and Netflix content look very sharp in comparison. Oh well :/

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Does anyone own 3:10 to Yuma on iTunes? I'm trying to watch it on Apple 4ktv. I don't know if the transfer sucks or I'm just getting bad streaming quality from my ATV. it looks like a sd dvd. There's no way this is what 4K steaming should look like. I made this post in the apple thread yesterday :
I got my new ATV yesterday and tested 4K with John Wick 2 and it looks bombastic.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Make sure you have "quick start" turned ON in the options, if it's off iTunes won't play anything in 4K.

I've watched a lot of movies in 4K from iTunes and they look great, something is up with your setup

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what's going on? Only ITunes movies look that soft and washed out. Netflix and Hulu look awesome. Maybe my 50 mbps Internet isn't enough.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
I posted this in the TV thread but figured I'd try here as well -

I've got a weird issue with my TV setup and was wondering if anyone else has seen the same thing. I've got a Sony X900E with an Apple TV 4K connected. When I'm watching the Apple TV, occasionally for no apparent reason, the info banner (the overlay that displays channel name and info) will appear at the top of the screen and the sound will drop out for about 3 seconds. The Apple TV is set up for 4K/HDR display and is connected to HDMI 3, which is also set up for 4K/HDR. I've seen the same issue with the HDMI cable that came with the Apple TV and a new "premium" one I tried with it.

I did a bit of poking around the other day and discovered that I could 100% reproduce the issue on the Apple Netflix app by doing the following : open Netflix and select a 4K film/TV show and let the preview play. Then select something else that's not 4K, and let the preview play. As soon as the preview plays, the info banner appears and the sound drops out. The same thing happens if I preview a 4K film/TV show after having watched a non-4K preview. So it only happens when switching between a 4K and non-4K preview - if I watch the 4K preview twice in a row, it doesn't happen the second time. Same with the non-4K preview.

A bit of googling reveals that it's a fairly common issue to do with HDMI handshaking but I've not seen a fix for it. Has anyone else had this problem and figured out a fix? I'm on the beta Apple TV firmware so I suppose the next thing to try is to reset to factory settings and switch to the release firmware instead.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
sounds like the source/framerate matching. I found it annoying on my TV (Sony X930D) so I've turned it off. Apple TV now outputs in HDR permanently and just maps SDR content itself.

It'd constantly be making the screen go black just going to the main menu for a few seconds. Way too aggressive. Personally the source matching should be only applying when you're watching a source. Eg you watch something in HDR it switches to HDR / 24p. Then when you finish, just let the menu/app screen stay in HDR until you watch something SDR, then change to SDR

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the TV thread but figured I'd try here as well -

I've got a weird issue with my TV setup and was wondering if anyone else has seen the same thing. I've got a Sony X900E with an Apple TV 4K connected. When I'm watching the Apple TV, occasionally for no apparent reason, the info banner (the overlay that displays channel name and info) will appear at the top of the screen and the sound will drop out for about 3 seconds. The Apple TV is set up for 4K/HDR display and is connected to HDMI 3, which is also set up for 4K/HDR. I've seen the same issue with the HDMI cable that came with the Apple TV and a new "premium" one I tried with it.

I did a bit of poking around the other day and discovered that I could 100% reproduce the issue on the Apple Netflix app by doing the following : open Netflix and select a 4K film/TV show and let the preview play. Then select something else that's not 4K, and let the preview play. As soon as the preview plays, the info banner appears and the sound drops out. The same thing happens if I preview a 4K film/TV show after having watched a non-4K preview. So it only happens when switching between a 4K and non-4K preview - if I watch the 4K preview twice in a row, it doesn't happen the second time. Same with the non-4K preview.

A bit of googling reveals that it's a fairly common issue to do with HDMI handshaking but I've not seen a fix for it. Has anyone else had this problem and figured out a fix? I'm on the beta Apple TV firmware so I suppose the next thing to try is to reset to factory settings and switch to the release firmware instead.
So is this on tvOS 12? I also randomly get the status banner on my Sony X80 but sound doesn't drop out (via bluetooth). I can't recall this happening on tvOS 11 so it might solve your problem.

It's not the frame rate / dynamic range matching in my case, it happens during movie playback.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
So is this on tvOS 12? I also randomly get the status banner on my Sony X80 but sound doesn't drop out (via bluetooth). I can't recall this happening on tvOS 11 so it might solve your problem.

It's not the frame rate / dynamic range matching in my case, it happens during movie playback.

This is on the latest beta firmware, I'm not sure what the version number is. It also happens to me randomly during movie playback. I could live with it if it was just when changing sources, but it'll happen out of nowhere and then I have to rewind to hear whatever dialogue we missed when the sound was dropped out. It's really irritating.

I think I've got the matching turned off but I'll check it again when I get home, and failing that I'll revert to the release firmware. Thanks for the advice folks :)

Oct 25, 2017
Something happened to my Apple TV the other day where it wasn't playing anything because the download speed was too slow. I ran a test and I was downloading at a whopping... 0.3MBPs! I restarted it, restarted the router, and nothing worked. Finally, I just unplugged the thing and it went back to working normal. Very odd. Anyone see something like this before, or what might have been the issue?

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Something happened to my Apple TV the other day where it wasn't playing anything because the download speed was too slow. I ran a test and I was downloading at a whopping... 0.3MBPs! I restarted it, restarted the router, and nothing worked. Finally, I just unplugged the thing and it went back to working normal. Very odd. Anyone see something like this before, or what might have been the issue?

How did you restart it? I've found that as far as troubleshooting goes doing like a normal off and on, or a "reboot" from the settings app does absolutely nothing. You gotta unplug the power and plug it back in

Oct 25, 2017
How did you restart it? I've found that as far as troubleshooting goes doing like a normal off and on, or a "reboot" from the settings app does absolutely nothing. You gotta unplug the power and plug it back in
I unplugged the Apple TV. Restarting through the system menu did nothing. Which, I kind of thought they would have been the same thing but *shrug*

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
System restart has helped me fix connectivity issues with the shared iTunes library on my mac a few times, for whatever that's worth.

Oct 25, 2017
So, it happened again and now I'm wondering if the problem is something else. I'm going to be talking about two different problems, I know, but I think they may be related.

I have a Mac Mini Plex server on my home network connected via ethernet to an older Apple Airport Extreme (purchased in 2010); I actually have two of them, extended to get Wifi all over my home. Doing the internet test my cable company suggests, I'm only getting 30Mbps/10 when my plan should be 150/10 on that Mac Mini connected via ethernet. On Wifi, I get more or less the same on my iMac in a room away, maybe 20 feet through two walls.

Now, the Apple TV, in the same room as the iMac, gets a download speed of sometimes 1.0/1.21 or like yesterday 0.3/1.12. Unplugging it does fix the issue, but I don't know why I had this problem happen again. Also, even connecting to that Mac Mini on my home network via Plex, seemingly avoiding the whole internet speed issue altogether, was so slow that I couldn't play anything.

I've felt like for a while replacing my old Airport Extremes with something new. Also, the cable modem is from 2011 as well. I don't know if these two things factor in to my erratic Apple TV issues (I just unplugged, and now I'm getting 103Mbps/10), but could they be a culprit?

(Sidenote: looks like my modem is outdated and can't reach the 150/10 I should be getting)

Last edited:

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
So, it happened again and now I'm wondering if the problem is something else. I'm going to be talking about two different problems, I know, but I think they may be related.

I have a Mac Mini Plex server on my home network connected via ethernet to an older Apple Airport Extreme (purchased in 2010); I actually have two of them, extended to get Wifi all over my home. Doing the internet test my cable company suggests, I'm only getting 30Mbps/10 when my plan should be 150/10 on that Mac Mini connected via ethernet. On Wifi, I get more or less the same on my iMac in a room away, maybe 20 feet through two walls.

Now, the Apple TV, in the same room as the iMac, gets a download speed of sometimes 1.0/1.21 or like yesterday 0.3/1.12. Unplugging it does fix the issue, but I don't know why I had this problem happen again. Also, even connecting to that Mac Mini on my home network via Plex, seemingly avoiding the whole internet speed issue altogether, was so slow that I couldn't play anything.

I've felt like for a while replacing my old Airport Extremes with something new. Also, the cable modem is from 2011 as well. I don't know if these two things factor in to my erratic Apple TV issues (I just unplugged, and now I'm getting 103Mbps/10), but could they be a culprit?

(Sidenote: looks like my modem is outdated and can't reach the 150/10 I should be getting)

honestly it couldn't hurt and is probably time to do it anyway. I've had router updates or even firmware updates do wonders for ios devices in the past.

Oct 25, 2017
honestly it couldn't hurt and is probably time to do it anyway. I've had router updates or even firmware updates do wonders for ios devices in the past.
Yeah, looking into things, the only modem I can buy that would be compatible with my internet/telephone service has built-in Wifi, so I may as well try that to see how things go in my household before spending another 300 bucks on some sort of mesh network.

Edit: I should also add that over the years I've tried various powerline adapters and never had much success with them.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, looking into things, the only modem I can buy that would be compatible with my internet/telephone service has built-in Wifi, so I may as well try that to see how things go in my household before spending another 300 bucks on some sort of mesh network.

Edit: I should also add that over the years I've tried various powerline adapters and never had much success with them.

what service do you have?

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Any Plex experts in this thread?

All my movies are either UHD, Blu-ray or available digitally via Vudu. However I do have a large collection of locally stored movie trailers in 1080p that I watch from time to time using my AppleTV.

With Plex how do I get these trailers tagged to the appropriate movie so that artwork and other movie related information is automatically populated? Additionally when I have multiple trailers for the same movie how do I tag them as Trailer 1 / Trailer 2 so that I can properly select when using the Play Version feature (right now it just shows bitrate)?

Oct 25, 2017
Any Plex experts in this thread?

All my movies are either UHD, Blu-ray or available digitally via Vudu. However I do have a large collection of locally stored movie trailers in 1080p that I watch from time to time using my AppleTV.

With Plex how do I get these trailers tagged to the appropriate movie so that artwork and other movie related information is automatically populated? Additionally when I have multiple trailers for the same movie how do I tag them as Trailer 1 / Trailer 2 so that I can properly select when using the Play Version feature (right now it just shows bitrate)?

I don't use trailers myself, but is this what you mean?

https://support.plex.tv/articles/20...7.2130256393.1533765230-1079180837.1532584651

Scroll to the bottom where it says Local Extra Files.

And this should help with naming:

https://support.plex.tv/articles/200220677-local-media-assets-movies/

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Thanks Brian. I don't think I can use the Extras part because I don't have the corresponding movie files.

Also I've been following the naming patterns discussed in the second link but I'm finding it very hit or miss. For example, Argo resolves just fine while movies like American Hustle and Godzilla won't resolve at all with the same naming scheme.

Oct 25, 2017
I've had that problem with Plex too, so I usually have to redo a match or edit the title myself. It's relatively infrequent, thankfully.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just add a fake video for the main movie with the correct name (reuse a trailer for example)

You won't play it - just using it to get plex to populate things

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
i could be mistaken but I seem to remember that the FXNOW app had full seasons of their shows avail to watch.

I've been busy and got behind on Legion season 2 today and when I opened the app in my AppleTV the interface had changed (it looks like the god awful Hulu app) but more importantly the full season of Legion is not available. There is a message in the top left that says Full Season Available but it only provides: Clips and About

I'm logged into my cable provider so I'm just puzzled as to actually use the app now. What is it's purpose?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
i could be mistaken but I seem to remember that the FXNOW app had full seasons of their shows avail to watch.

I've been busy and got behind on Legion season 2 today and when I opened the app in my AppleTV the interface had changed (it looks like the god awful Hulu app) but more importantly the full season of Legion is not available. There is a message in the top left that says Full Season Available but it only provides: Clips and About

I'm logged into my cable provider so I'm just puzzled as to actually use the app now. What is it's purpose?
I don't know. Works for other shows though.

Oct 27, 2017

Late but, FX pulls the season's after a certain amount of time for some dumb reason. Their app is trash though, I have constant account log outs and problems when trying to watch the Simpsons.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Late but, FX pulls the season's after a certain amount of time for some dumb reason. Their app is trash though, I have constant account log outs and problems when trying to watch the Simpsons.

Good to hear it's not just me. Hopefully disney moves The Simpsons to another app-because the FXNOW one sucks ass.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
From today's software update:

tvOS 12.2, when paired with iOS 12.2, is designed to allow users to ask Siri to play specific media on an Apple TV from an iOS device. You can, for example, ask Siri to play Modern Family on the TV in the living room, or Pitch Perfect on the TV in the bedroom. This feature is available for music, TV shows, and movies.

This feels long overdue, as I can't be bothered to press that remote button to use Siri. I hope this also bring better automation with a HomePod.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
Got an Apple TV earlier this year (largely prompted by the Criterion Channel) and have really enjoyed it. One disappointing surprise was that I'd assumed any show I'd purchased through Apple was downloaded to my 32GB Apple TV. Recently had a storm knock my power out for a day and my internet was down for two, pretty much nothing on my Apple TV worked until the internet was restored. Had hoped my TV/movie purchases were more secure, takes some of the incentive out if I'll always need a good internet connection to view them, I assume there's no way to force them to download?

Factory 1.21

Oct 29, 2017
Colorado, USA
I think you can still download to iTunes on a PC/Mac and play from there.

I just realized that was ambiguous. I mean I think you can download to iTunes on PC or Mac and then use the built-in Computer app on the Apple TV to browse stuff you've downloaded and play it (iTunes has to be running). If you have a Mac(Book) (don't know if it's supported on Windows) and the Mac(Book) is asleep and iTunes is running, you can still browse and play stuff without turning on the Mac(Book).

Again, I don't know how draconic the license checking is. This may or may not work if you don't have Internet.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Hi all. I just ordered an Apple TV 4K to replace my Apple TV HD. I'm guessing I can just use the same HDMI cable to get 4K content, right?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all. I just ordered an Apple TV 4K to replace my Apple TV HD. I'm guessing I can just use the same HDMI cable to get 4K content, right?
Not necessarily, no. But try before you buy another one, you'll know whether it works or not if you set the output resolution to 4K and choose the desired refresh rate, color space etc

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Not necessarily, no. But try before you buy another one, you'll know whether it works or not if you set the output resolution to 4K and choose the desired refresh rate, color space etc
Thanks for that. I was fine in the end. I selected 4K 60Hz and the television set and Apple TV accepted it with my current HDMI cable.

Next question: YouTube app on Apple TV doesn't support 4K. Okay, but can you AirPlay a 4K YouTube video to the Apple TV from Safari browser on a Mac and will it stay at 4K? I'm yet to try it but will give it a shot later.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for that. I was fine in the end. I selected 4K 60Hz and the television set and Apple TV accepted it with my current HDMI cable.

Next question: YouTube app on Apple TV doesn't support 4K. Okay, but can you AirPlay a 4K YouTube video to the Apple TV from Safari browser on a Mac and will it stay at 4K? I'm yet to try it but will give it a shot later.

safari on macOS doesn't support youtube in 4k either. hooray!

youtube only streams 4k in the vp9 codec, which apple doesn't have any native support for. until either apple supports vp9 or youtube does hevc encodes we're screwed.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
safari on macOS doesn't support youtube in 4k either. hooray!

youtube only streams 4k in the vp9 codec, which apple doesn't have any native support for. until either apple supports vp9 or youtube does hevc encodes we're screwed.
Brilliant!! 😑

Thanks anyway.

What about this next bullshit?? There is no way to stream a 4K video taken on your iPhone camera to the TV 4K...In 4K. WTF??

So how do you stream a 4K video from an iPhone to a TV?
Unfortunately, you can't.

It's unclear whether this is an oversight by Apple, a technical limitation, or a ploy to make future products more appealing.

But unless Apple changes the 1080p HD limit of AirPlay, you may as well

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
It's pretty annoying that my B6 doesn't have an app, but the X1 doesn't either? I have no choice but to buy an Apple TV to make use of the free year.