• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Finally. I stopped using Prime Video few weeks ago because it always throws a connection error on my iPad that I cant seem to fix. Hopefully the ATV app works

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really cool of them to put out the app even for the 3rd gen Apple TV. My family still has a few of those in service so it's nice to see it get support.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, I'm actually pleasantly surprised that Prime's Universal Search functionality works even for their optional packages, for some reason I didn't think it would. You can buy HBO, Starz, Showtime, and tons of others through Prime and it'll play in Amazon's app as if you had the subscription through the company itself

For some reason I thought the searching was only going to come up with Prime-specific offerings

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the Amazon app really is ugly and not even the font is rendered in native res... it actually plays video though so I won't complain too much

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Amazon put the bare minimum of effort into this app and Apple has to promote it like it's the second coming because it's been so long awaited

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have the app on Android TV and it's worse there. At least, slower.

Tbf, everything that is not Netflix feels second rate. I felt the same with HBO.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
"Press and Hold Select to add to watchlist" says the dull grey banner constantly refreshing while scrolling through the catalogue. Overall it's not as bad as the android tv app but geez. Mainly because it uses Apple TV standard search and player haha

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It annoys me that I have to click on the horizontal titles at the top to switch sections, I can't just swipe through then like every other Apple TV app

I'm pretty sure that shit is in the HIG

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, they finally rolled out the TV app in Europe. There isn't a lot to interface it with, but it's nice that they're moving in that direction.

I'm running two accounts on my AppleTV (US and EU) and I'd gotten used to it on my US account, so it's nice that I have a common experience now.

OP
OP
Quasar

Quasar

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, they finally rolled out the TV app in Europe. There isn't a lot to interface it with, but it's nice that they're moving in that direction.

I'm running two accounts on my AppleTV (US and EU) and I'd gotten used to it on my US account, so it's nice that I have a common experience now.

My biggest annoyance is that I use an Australian account but use some us apps as well and they don't work together with the tv app. Well than and lots of services I use aren't supported.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like they updated the TV app on the back-end. HD Movies Anywhere redemptions no longer show up in the 4K & HDR section of your Library, just the stuff that will ACTUALLY play in 4K. And in the TV app on iOS the movies will now correctly say HD instead of 4K. They still show an HDR logo leading them to still be listed in that section erroneously, but I expect that to be fixed shortly like it is on the Apple TV.

Great to see, it's becoming far less confusing

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Progress! There's been an update to the Prime Video app and the change log says 5.1 is now available for 4K content and is coming soon to SD/HD for Apple TV 4 and 4K.

I'm still an HD peasant so I can't confirm anything about 4K.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Looks like they updated the TV app on the back-end. HD Movies Anywhere redemptions no longer show up in the 4K & HDR section of your Library, just the stuff that will ACTUALLY play in 4K. And in the TV app on iOS the movies will now correctly say HD instead of 4K. They still show an HDR logo leading them to still be listed in that section erroneously, but I expect that to be fixed shortly like it is on the Apple TV.

Agreed. That really irked me.
Does this mean it lets you buy a 4K version now without having to do the Gift workaround?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Agreed. That really irked me.
Does this mean it lets you buy a 4K version now without having to do the Gift workaround?

No, that is still not a thing. They have two things left to fix in regards to HD Movies Anywhere redemptions:

On the Apple TV the 4K & HDR section is fixed and great, but on the newest iPhones and iPad Pros it still contains them because it has them listed with the HDR tag, even if they got correctly demoted to HD from 4K. This is an easy fix, and one I expect to roll out soon.

The next is letting people purchase the movie again for true 4K.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
Why should I get this over a Chromecast? Like I'm neck deep into the apple ecosystem but 179 is a lot compared to the competition. I don't use Apple music, but I subscribe to Hulu, HBO, Netflix, showtime and Amazon prime. I bought two movies on itunes since becoming a member.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why should I get this over a Chromecast? Like I'm neck deep into the apple ecosystem but 179 is a lot compared to the competition. I don't use Apple music, but I subscribe to Hulu, HBO, Netflix, showtime and Amazon prime. I bought two movies on itunes since becoming a member.
I guess the biggest factor is how much you're invested specifically in the iTunes ecosystem (although MoviesAnywhere makes that less of a factor for movies, but not TV shows).

I haven't really used a chromecast recently, but AFAIK, it's a different experience as you won't have a dedicated remote to browse an interface on your TV, but will instead be doing everything from a phone or a tablet.

OP
OP
Quasar

Quasar

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really used a chromecast recently, but AFAIK, it's a different experience as you won't have a dedicated remote to browse an interface on your TV, but will instead be doing everything from a phone or a tablet.

Yeah. For some people using a phone or tablet for control is better, for others it's worse.

I kind of prefer a remote, that's part of why I have a Shield and a ATV.

Lock-in is I guess an issue, though there are tools to strip apples drm off so you can play it where you want. That only applies to SD and HD content though, as uhd is streaming only. And so far at least Apple has an advantage there having more uhd content and proving free upgrades and not charging a premium for uhd.

Last edited:

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

Hey, where do you see this exactly? I still see my movies with 4K and HDR logos on my ATV.
And you said there's a section? TV App Library only shows TV and Movies. I wish I could filter that down.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
The Harry Potter collection is only 20€ right now, all movies come in 4K with DV. "Harry Potter Complete Collection" von Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. https://itunes.apple.com/de/movie-collection/harry-potter-complete-collection/id1066933299

Does anyone own the movies already? Will they play in HDR10 on a non-DV display?

E: Just bought it and unless the mode switching stuff handled it wrong, the TV shows HDR for the movie (only tested the first one but should obviously apply to all) so that's nice.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey, where do you see this exactly? I still see my movies with 4K and HDR logos on my ATV.
And you said there's a section? TV App Library only shows TV and Movies. I wish I could filter that down.

DP but it's for a reason. Here's what the section looks like. Like I said it filtered out all my Movies Anywhere stuff so this is true iTunes 4K & HDR. Side note, Across the Universe JUST got updated and I'm so excited.

pU9TD15.jpg

Edit: Hey here's another improvement, desktop iTunes will actually tell you if a movie is 4K/HDR now. That's nice.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
The Harry Potter collection is only 20€ right now, all movies come in 4K with DV. "Harry Potter Complete Collection" von Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. https://itunes.apple.com/de/movie-collection/harry-potter-complete-collection/id1066933299

Does anyone own the movies already? Will they play in HDR10 on a non-DV display?

E: Just bought it and unless the mode switching stuff handled it wrong, the TV shows HDR for the movie (only tested the first one but should obviously apply to all) so that's nice.
That's annoying, it's still ÂŁ40 in the UK.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda shocked Plex still doesn't support direct play of HEVC mkv. I prefer the overall app design over Infuse which has some weird tidbits (like the blurred background for content is some random key art from the title as opposed to a blur based on the poster colors in every other ATV app; looks off). They also have their own spin on everything in general perhaps because it's a Swift app and not TVML (I guess). Native trakt integration is dope though.

I also wish Apple would allow them to integrate into the TV app. The meta data is all there after all.

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Kinda shocked Plex still doesn't support direct play of HEVC mkv. I prefer the overall app design over Infuse which has some weird tidbits (like the blurred background for content is some random key art from the title as opposed to a blur based on the poster colors in every other ATV app; looks off). They also have their own spin on everything in general perhaps because it's a Swift app and not TVML (I guess). Native trakt integration is dope though.

I also wish Apple would allow them to integrate into the TV app. The meta data is all there after all.

Not sure if you've seen it or not, but Infuse is going to add the ability to use it as a native Plex client in early 2018.

https://firecore.com/forum/topic/13575
https://firecore.com/forum/topic/16075?page=8

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Got an ATV 4K upgrade for Christmas. I'm confused in reading up on some of the HDR settings. I have. 4K HDR capable tv, what are the best ATV settings, specifically format wise?

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Got an ATV 4K upgrade for Christmas. I'm confused in reading up on some of the HDR settings. I have. 4K HDR capable tv, what are the best ATV settings, specifically format wise?

Dolby Vision is better than HDR10 if your TV supports it.

What you should do is set the normal settings to whatever the best one you can is (the Settings app will suggest you try a bunch until it settles on one) and then make sure it's set to adjust to the color space of the content you're watching (and frame rate if your TV easily supports 24p). That way when you're watching standard stuff it switches to that color space and when you're watching HDR stuff it switches to that. Needs to be on tvOS 11.2 to do that

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Think I'm going to do the Apple TV promotion for DirecTV now and cop an additional Apple TV for the bedroom. I currently have an Amazon Fire TV, but the ATV is just more polished and feature rich at the moment. Plus the loss of Youtube in the New Year makes it a no brainer for me.

eklesp

Nov 7, 2017
Realizing that you can tap the remote for directional buttons instead of swiping has changed my life.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So fun bugs on my Apple TV 4K. Most of my 4KHDR content plays just fine, except for (from what I can tell) La La Land and Arrival, both through iTunes. It'll boot up to a purple screen. I've found two remedies:

Unplug and replug the HDMI cable. Makes me think it's a handshake issue but it's really only with those two movies.

Turn off frame rate matching. Seems it's going haywire when switching from 60hz to 24Hz but again, only with those two films. Any other iTunes films or Netflix TV shows where it switches framerate it's totally fine.

Bizarre, man. ATV is on the latest software, as is my TV. Updating my receiver now, but I doubt that'll fix it.

Edit: found an even easier way to fix it — go into multitasking and it'll immediately return to normal. Totally confirms it as a tvOS software thing

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The Amazon Prime Video app is seriously complete garbage. It regularly doesn't even allow me to select anything on the home screen. like the scrolling is allowed but no selection. I have to go into the app switcher and close it for anything to open.

When you click next episode, the app clunkily goes back to the episode list page and freezes for a second then goes to the new episode. who designed this.

All of these delays and amazon puts out this garbage?

blast0rama

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
The Amazon Prime Video app is seriously complete garbage. It regularly doesn't even allow me to select anything on the home screen. like the scrolling is allowed but no selection. I have to go into the app switcher and close it for anything to open.

When you click next episode, the app clunkily goes back to the episode list page and freezes for a second then goes to the new episode. who designed this.

All of these delays and amazon puts out this garbage?

This is why the most I deal with the Amazon Prime app is within the TV app. (Which I'd really freaking love Netflix to be a part of.)

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now Google's just being cheeky. It'll tell you if a video is in 4K but won't actually play it higher than 1080p