• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hell no, they can fuck off with their shit design. I swear to god, if I can't slide down to view the nav bar and scroll through the sections in this version but have to go to the veeeery left each time I want to switch...
Also still no top shelf feed. No 4K. Basically just a design downgrade (and according to some comments also usability due to added lag and weird scrolling behaviour gg). The old version was lazy but smooth and at least adhered to the tvOS experience.

Fortunately, my Apple TV didn't have the update installed last night - I might just disable auto-updates to avoid this mess.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The new YouTube update is total bullshit. The media player interface is 1000% worse. I'm just gonna airplay everything from now on, this is so bad. I get that it's consistent with other platforms, but much like with Amazon Prime, it's consistently bad

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
The AppleTV versions of these apps are just worse. Vudu, Amazon Video and YouTube.

Sticking with the TV apps still.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Been having a lot of issues with Sling ATV app. Constant buffering, oddly enough it happens a lot during commercial breaks.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
The old YouTube app wasn't fantastic, but it was at least better than the web app. Wish they had added features to the old one instead of switching to this.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For all the new features the ATV4 got I will always and forever remember fondly how the ATV2/3 had consistent Apple-enforced designs for all the apps instead of letting Hulu take big pastel shits all over your TV.

A big part of the reason I got the ATV3 back in the day was the Netflix UI was so much better than what Netflix used elsewhere. Now Apple gets the same garbage, including the same awful Amazon and YouTube UIs now.

OP
OP
Quasar

Quasar

Oct 25, 2017
The new YouTube update is total bullshit. The media player interface is 1000% worse. I'm just gonna airplay everything from now on, this is so bad. I get that it's consistent with other platforms, but much like with Amazon Prime, it's consistently bad

Whilst I'm glad its finally in step rather that shitty interface it had before that was a holdover from the pre-apps ATV. I had in the past switched to other devices just to use youtube in the past...now I'm not doing that as much. I still don't think its a good a experience as it is on the shield, but that it is I think due to slowness of navigation and trackpad versus buttons.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
My major issue with the new YouTube UI is that for some reason it's super sensitive to the remote scrolling.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
There have been a few times when I tried to scroll through the YT app where it was too finicky.

Is there any reason NOT to be on the TVos Beta updates?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I can't connect to the ATV on the latest beta with the remote shortcut on my phone.
Sounds like others have had this issue.

OP
OP
Quasar

Quasar

Oct 25, 2017
I can't connect to the ATV on the latest beta with the remote shortcut on my phone.
Sounds like others have had this issue.

Are you also running the beta on your phone?

Giving it a try, with my phone (not on the beta) the remote app fails to connect, but on my ipad (on the beta) it works just fine.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who always complains about how terrible UIs are, I've been using Filmstruck a lot these past few days as we're on an older movies binge, and man, that interface looks lavish, with great curation.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Just picked up a 4K atv. Ugh the remote is still pretty trash and i swear some apps look better streaming on my built in TV's functions. Somewhat disappointed so far.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Tap the remote to navigate as well. I hate the swipe.
Unfortunately i tend to hold my remotes at an angle it seems so half the time i tap one direction without looking it goes another. Also iTunes movies' streaming service seems like it needs some work. Seems alot blurrier in 4k than Amazon or Netflix

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I only pick up the ATV remote when I want to do some quick scrubbing, but more often I pick up my phone. Otherwise the simple Harmony remote is fine.

As for the video quality. I've done A/B comparisons and it looks just as sharp if not a tiny bit better on the ATV than on the OLED TV apps for 4K content.
Make sure you've turned on the setting to match the content's dynamic range (and framerate if you want).

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately i tend to hold my remotes at an angle it seems so half the time i tap one direction without looking it goes another. Also iTunes movies' streaming service seems like it needs some work. Seems alot blurrier in 4k than Amazon or Netflix

Strange, I thought bitrate was higher for iTunes 4K than at least Netflix

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Got an Apple TV 4k but none of my digital movies converted to 4k. The one movie I know I for sure redeemed on iTunes years ago was District 9. I expected it to convert to 4k but nothing. Has this happened to anyone else?

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Got an Apple TV 4k but none of my digital movies converted to 4k. The one movie I know I for sure redeemed on iTunes years ago was District 9. I expected it to convert to 4k but nothing. Has this happened to anyone else?
They show up as 4k in the Apple TV for me. For example mother! says 4k and Dolby vision

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Apple's 4K service is better than either of those, in terms of bitrate alone. The problem is at your end.

eklesp

Nov 7, 2017
What is your process for keeping track of new episodes being available? Does the TV App work well for this? Like if you watch a show and finished it and a new episode is released on Hulu, does it show up in the TV App automatically? Or, do you use a third party app to keep track of new stuff and then just search for it? I have tried WatchAid, which seems good except for having to manually mark as watched.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What is your process for keeping track of new episodes being available? Does the TV App work well for this? Like if you watch a show and finished it and a new episode is released on Hulu, does it show up in the TV App automatically? Or, do you use a third party app to keep track of new stuff and then just search for it? I have tried WatchAid, which seems good except for having to manually mark as watched.

TV app does that. Let's say you're watching the new season of Last Week Tonight, when you finish the most current episode it will disappear from your list, but then when a new one comes out it pops back at the front.

I love the TV app, I think it's an unsung hero of Apple's apps. If you're in the US of course

eklesp

Nov 7, 2017
TV app does that. Let's say you're watching the new season of Last Week Tonight, when you finish the most current episode it will disappear from your list, but then when a new one comes out it pops back at the front.

I love the TV app, I think it's an unsung hero of Apple's apps. If you're in the US of course

Awesome thanks!
Was wondering if TV app would pick up on it automatically or not. Does it also work if you manually add a show to watch next and mark all as read, does it seem to take a while to update?
I have a couple of shows, in Crunchyroll and another in Fox app, that were added yesterday and today that are not in TV app yet. I will give it some time and see if it updates.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Awesome thanks!
Was wondering if TV app would pick up on it automatically or not. Does it also work if you manually add a show to watch next and mark all as read, does it seem to take a while to update?
I have a couple of shows, in Crunchyroll and another in Fox app, that were added yesterday and today that are not in TV app yet. I will give it some time and see if it updates.

Mine seems to update within seconds of finishing an episode or movie and switching devices. It tracks things by show so you'll have to watch something in either of those apps AND make sure you got promoted to attach the app to the TV app to get it to work. Barring that you can search for a show that you know for a fact is on one of those services, open it from the TV in their app and start watching. That should force it

eklesp

Nov 7, 2017
Mine seems to update within seconds of finishing an episode or movie and switching devices. It tracks things by show so you'll have to watch something in either of those apps AND make sure you got promoted to attach the app to the TV app to get it to work. Barring that you can search for a show that you know for a fact is on one of those services, open it from the TV in their app and start watching. That should force it

Cool thanks, this is the first time I have used it for ongoing series that have new episodes. Seems like it has tons of potential as long as it gets support by app devs

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whenever I put my ATV to sleep it attempts to turn off my TV via IR. Is there a way to disable that, without disabling IR integration altogether?

I really hate whenever devices try to turn off my TV and/or amp, if I want to turn them off I'll fuckin' do it myself. Just because I turn off this one device doesn't mean I'm done using the TV, you're not the only device connected to the TV...

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I put my ATV to sleep it attempts to turn off my TV via IR. Is there a way to disable that, without disabling IR integration altogether?

I really hate whenever devices try to turn off my TV and/or amp, if I want to turn them off I'll fuckin' do it myself. Just because I turn off this one device doesn't mean I'm done using the TV, you're not the only device connected to the TV...
On the TV side of things, there should be a separate parameter to allow HDMI CEC (or any variant) to turn the TV off. I'm pretty sure I've seen separate settings for waking up and turning off through CEC on both my TV and receiver.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On the TV side of things, there should be a separate parameter to allow HDMI CEC (or any variant) to turn the TV off. I'm pretty sure I've seen separate settings for waking up and turning off through CEC on both my TV and receiver.

That's the thing though, it's not doing it through CEC. If I put my hand over the IR emitter on the Siri Remote as I select Sleep, the TV won't turn off. But I don't remember to do it every time. (And the IR on the remote is crazy powerful lol, it needs to be completely covered, just pointing in another direction will still trigger the TV.)

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone's interested, HIDIVE just sent me an email to tell me their app was now available for tvOS.
I haven't tried the app yet but they have a selection of pretty niche and classic anime (stuff like Legend of Galactic Heroes or Nadia) and they're 4 bucks a month right now, with a free month on top.

Babyshaq90

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a comprehensive list of what apps are available? I looked at this link here

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208083

And I don't see Fox Sports Go or Univision Deportes which makes me hesitant to jump in when a Roku offers them. Or are apps that are available on iPhone also available but just not listed?

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a comprehensive list of what apps are available? I looked at this link here

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208083

And I don't see Fox Sports Go or Univision Deportes which makes me hesitant to jump in when a Roku offers them. Or are apps that are available on iPhone also available but just not listed?
FYI those are just apps that support the TV app, which is basically a central hub app where you see the contents provided by many apps. But not necessarily all apps. For example Netflix isn't there either, but the app is of course on Apple TV.

I'm not sure there is a web-based interface to easily search Apple TV's App Store, but usually google does the job and the app's iTunes page will say if it's available on Apple TV or not, e.g., https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fox-sports-go/id711074743?mt=8

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
FYI those are just apps that support the TV app, which is basically a central hub app where you see the contents provided by many apps. But not necessarily all apps. For example Netflix isn't there either, but the app is of course on Apple TV.

I'm not sure there is a web-based interface to easily search Apple TV's App Store, but usually google does the job and the app's iTunes page will say if it's available on Apple TV or not, e.g., https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fox-sports-go/id711074743?mt=8
I'm not sure that works as I looked at Vudu for instance and it says iPad and iPhone. Unless I'm looking at the wrong spot.

EDIT: Never mind, you have to look at the info where it lists Compatibility. There it will state Apple TV.

Babyshaq90

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure that works as I looked at Vudu for instance and it says iPad and iPhone. Unless I'm looking at the wrong spot.

EDIT: Never mind, you have to look at the info where it lists Compatibility. There it will state Apple TV.

Looked it up using my iPhone but it didn't say Apple TV for any app, I had to actually use Safari on my laptop to look for Netflix and indeed it does say Apple TV. Thanks guys.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Is the Vudu app a bit shit? MI4 was a 240p mess with the Apple TV app but perfect with the Samsung smart tv app.