• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 30, 2018
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/flatforums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12779

Apple TV+ has highest the streaming quality we've seen for 4K so far. It's higher than most iTunes movies. Over the weekend, I took the first batch of measurements. I'm planning to do more later. It's worth pointing out that Apple TV+ uses variable bitrate with a quite wide span from low to top, so the console must run for some time to calculate the average bitrate.

See has the highest bitrate so far. 29 Mb/s average video bitrate and 41 Mb/s video peak (I don't know if it hits that occasionally or rarely, since the console only reports average and peak).

So that's approximately 1.5-2x the video bitrate of a typical HD Blu-ray disc (due to HEVC vs. AVC) and around half of a typical UHD Blu-ray disc (also using HEVC).

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I need better internet. I don't mind the quality I stream at but wouldn't mind better.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
All four shows I watched looked better than other streaming services I've used(Morning Show, See, Dickinson, and For All Mankind). Although 4K shows like Altered Carbon look amazing on Netflix. The Apple launch is sparse because there's no back catalogue to fill in the gaps, but their original launch content has been really solid. Disney is going to crush this service in terms of numbers, but their original content at launch doesn't look remotely as interesting. And Apple appears to have a bunch of new shows coming out each month.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
ah good, the quicker you get to your data cap the more money ISPs make...........all according to plan

Been hoping for folks to hit the data cap to become the norm so we can get rid of this data cap bullshit

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can confirm that Apple has raised the bar for Dolby Vision. Every live action show looks top tier on a Dolby Vision 4K set. A lot of Netflix shows don't look this good - Altered Carbon perhaps one of few exceptions.

Even Snoopy in Space is Dolby Vision for some reason, though it's really an SDR show in a Dolby Vision wrapper (except possibly the title cards.)

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
" and around half of a typical UHD Blu-ray disc (also using HEVC)."

Yeah, UHD BD films are 50-80mbits, with spikes that can go to 120mbits.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Good thing the iPhone 11 pro sets new example for smartphone HDR displays too. Perfect fit.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
It's a pretty great thing.

Now all they need is something good to show!

Ohoho... I'll see myself out.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
It's why I stopped subscribing to HBO Now to watch their movies. All the dark scenes were barely watchable due to all the pixellation. Really happy with Apple TV so far (mostly because it's free, but also because they're putting an emphasis on audio-video quality).

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I didn't listen to reviewers. The shows I've seen are really good. The Morning Show is my favorite so far. For All Mankind is also great. See is also fun, but not because it's good, but because it's really hammy and terrible in its own weird way.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Even on my Sony 2007 1080p tv does it look amazing I can only imagine 4k. I'm holding out on 4k until they upgrade the set.

See also has tremendous sound.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad I didn't listen to reviewers. The shows I've seen are really good. The Morning Show is my favorite so far. For All Mankind is also great. See is also fun, but not because it's good, but because it's really hammy and terrible in its own weird way.
Check out Dickinson if you haven't yet

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If only there was anything on there that I'd want to upgrade my hardware for. Glad Apple is pushing the industry along and hope they do eventually land on that hit.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There's actually a primer on 4K HDR on the main tab of the AppStore today, too:
TQnNZz3.png

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
HBO is a goddamn joke in terms of streaming bitrate - doesn't matter if it's Now or Go. The Long Night was an abhorrent mess of dark pixelation.

You can sub to HBO via Amazon Prime or Apple TV Channels; I tried it out last month, and "Succession" looked notably better on ATVC than it did through HBO NOW.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
You can sub to HBO via Amazon Prime or Apple TV Channels; I tried it out last month, and "Succession" looked notably better on ATVC than it did through HBO NOW.

I don't got hbo now in Canada but I have read people saying they watch hbo content through Apple TV channels and the quality is better. No idea why that be the case.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if HBO shows were sold on the iTunes Store as season passes as they release, I wouldn't bother and just buy them upfront.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
There's been no word of this happening is there? I hope for PS4 app and Nvidia Shield as I only have one Apple TV in one room and would like to have an app for my shield.
No word yet. But you'd think with them supporting almost every other format and recently supporting XBOX/PS4 controllers on all of their devices, and mainly just wanting to get as many eyeballs as possible on their new streaming service, they would make it an option.

I mean, Disney isn't dumb enough to launch their new streaming platform without it being available on every platform.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Really, which one is your favorite? Are See or For All Manking any good?

For all mankind is my favourite and I cannot wait for next episode on Friday.

See I enjoy it. The sound and visuals are amazing. Interesting world. You can poke holes with some of the stuff going on. Pretty violent. I'm going to watch episode 3 today.

Dickinson is good I'm on episode 3. And the morning show I haven't watched yet but my mom did and loved it.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Is this browser specific. I haven't noticed much improvement over netflix the last few shows I tried.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does it stream as HDR on phones too? I didn't notice the marker on the show pages at all.
It definitely says 4K and HDR here (11 Pro Max, and iPad Pro 11) in the TV app. I'm still unclear whether this means these contents really stream at a 4K resolution that's downscaled to the display's resolution afterward, or if these mentions are just there for show.