• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Finish?

• Aluminum

Votes: 88 44.7%
  • Stainless Steel

Votes: 49 24.9%
  • Titanium

Votes: 39 19.8%
  • Ceramic

Votes: 21 10.7%

• Total voters

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
ok, reporting back that my battery life is giving me charging anxiety. Getting much lower numbers than what I've seen my friends get with their Series 4. Losing 65% in 12 hrs with no real workout. This won't work for me because sleep tracking was one of the main things I wanted to do.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
ok, reporting back that my battery life is giving me charging anxiety. Getting much lower numbers than what I've seen my friends get with their Series 4. Losing 65% in 12 hrs with no real workout. This won't work for me because sleep tracking was one of the main things I wanted to do.

Exchange it. Something sounds wrong.

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I plan to wait for 13.1 and exchanging/returning it if it doesn't improve.
Apparently the battery drain issue should be fixed on Watch OS 6.1 as per posters on r/AppleWatch and 9to5Mac. Maybe update and report back? I'm also curious to know since I'm on the fence about upgrading my Series 3.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the consensus on the battery ? I felt like mine today was really bad. I read to deactivate noise detection which is a non stop background app.
Right now I've lost 10% on my watch in 1h50m (5% on my iPhone 11 pro max in the same time )

but it was totally idle (no activity just time and notification ). I'll try tomorrow with noise ON. Is that correct ? Feel less than my 4

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
What's the consensus on the battery ? I felt like mine today was really bad. I read to deactivate noise detection which is a non stop background app.
Right now I've lost 10% on my watch in 1h50m (5% on my iPhone 11 pro max in the same time )

but it was totally idle (no activity just time and notification ). I'll try tomorrow with noise ON. Is that correct ? Feel less than my 4

I had some improvements a day after the "un-pair/hard reboot both/re-pair trick". I also turned off noise alerts and background refresh on a bunch of non-essential apps (not sure why, all the apps that got auto installed had background refresh enabled by default. I lose 2.5%-3.0% per hour on my normal usage.

If I charge for an hour before bed (usually after I close my rings) and then 15-20 mins while I am in the shower, I am able to sleep track with no issues.

If you don't plan to sleep track, I think you'll end the day at about 30-40%.

Edit: I am on the 44mm model btw.

Edit 2: I am honestly loving the watch. I don't know if I would have liked it this much without the AOD.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had some improvements a day after the "un-pair/hard reboot both/re-pair trick". I also turned off noise alerts and background refresh on a bunch of non-essential apps (not sure why, all the apps that got auto installed had background refresh enabled by default. I lose 2.5%-3.0% per hour on my normal usage.

If I charge for an hour before bed (usually after I close my rings) and then 15-20 mins while I am in the shower, I am able to sleep track with no issues.

If you don't plan to sleep track, I think you'll end the day at about 30-40%.

Edit: I am on the 44mm model btw.

Edit 2: I am honestly loving the watch. I don't know if I would have liked it this much without the AOD.
Unpair / hard reboot both ? Wow would take too much time. I'll do some test tomorrow. Since my post I lost 8% in almost 2h. Which isn't so bad but I'm not doing anything particular with it. Just casually watching time

i used to have the Apple Watch 4 + iPhone XR. My watch was working for longer than my phone

now I have Apple Watch5 + 11 max pro. I lost 18% on watch and 11% on iPhone in the same timeframe.I just don't know if the watch is so-so or the phone is very good battery wise

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok I've done the unpair repair turn off everything. It's much much better still at 100% after 40min

Theef

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Very tempted to get this as my first watch, 5 has always been my favorite number too hmm

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping you would get the always on display in nightstand mode. Oh well.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
My logic was to just get the Micro LED version next year, but this one has basically everything I've wanted out of an Apple Watch (water-resistance, always-on display, larger display, etc.).
If you are waiting for microled then you can happily buy this one as microled will take much more than one year to be consumer ready.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Google does the bare minimum on Apple platforms. There's no Hangouts support either.

Facebook doesn't seem to care either, no WhatsApp support. And no Discord support. -_-

The notifications work in a pinch but I have to go into the phone apps to dismiss the read status.

MS does a good job with the Outlook app, I get a 'mark as read' option.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So after yesterday very bad battery I did all the 3 steps to correct it. Apple Watch 5 + iPhone 11 pro max
Between (-) is the value for 100% battery estimated

Yesterday :
1h55 (115m)= 10% Watch (19h) / 10% phone (19h)

Without noise on watch (deactivated) :
*3h (180m) = 10% Watch (30h)/ 8% iPhone (37h)

With noise : (watch 90% / iphone 92%)
*3h (180m) = 13% Watch (23h) / 15% iPhone(20h)

I'll run 2 time 1.5h to check if the noise is really taking battery on both phone and watch but overall i would be around 20h+ minimum on both device

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Is this your first Apple Watch? If so, you are probably farting around with it a lot more than you think you are. First couple weeks with my original one were fraught with battery concerns as well and the thing was dead before I got home from work. Once it stopped being a novelty and got used more like the tool that it is, I could go a full day and sometimes a little more without having to charge it. It should get better as your usage patterns change.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There has to be a difference.

Using power constantly all day vs not constantly using power all day will definitely make a difference.

There's supposedly a bigger battery and more power efficient screen. I'm dubious as well (and a tiny bit salty as a series 4 purchaser) but the reviews I read said it has similar battery life as a series 4.

Interested to see real life experience in here.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
There's supposedly a bigger battery and more power efficient screen. I'm dubious as well (and a tiny bit salty as a series 4 purchaser) but the reviews I read said it has similar battery life as a series 4.

Interested to see real life experience in here.
Yeah, we would need a die-shrink to maintain status quo. Apple can optimize and mitigate, but until the processor becomes more efficient, it is what it is.

My experience for what it's worth though is that the battery is only maybe slightly worse than the series 4. With the Series 4, I could typically go just over two days without recharging. I haven't tried that yet on my Series 5, but after one day (12 hours), I'm right at 50%.

Next year is going to be the Watch to get for anyone on Series 4.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
yea if you are comparing a Series 5 with AOD to Series 5 with it off, there's now way it's going to be "no difference."
I guess the context is needed here.

Does 30% less battery life but with a bigger battery = typical Series 4 battery life?

If so, then a lot of people will be okay with that. 30% less than with it off desperately needs that context.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Also, why is the California watch face so great?

I feel like they finally gave non-Hermés edition owners a nice face.

What's always pissed me off though is I've bought two Hermés bands after-market, yet still don't get access to the Hermés watch face.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

What's always pissed me off though is I've bought two Hermés bands after-market, yet still don't get access to the Hermés watch face.
Yeah I've always thought the Hermès Watch Band boxes should have a little NFC chip you hold the watch to and get some Hermès faces for it. Like how you hold your phone to the Apple credit card box to activate it on your iPhone.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The more unbelievable thing is that we're on the Series 5 of the Apple Watch and there's no Watchface Store yet. That's just money sitting on the table.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
The more unbelievable thing is that we're on the Series 5 of the Apple Watch and there's no Watchface Store yet. That's just money sitting on the table.
Yeah, that's been one thing kind of frustrating about the Watch. A lot of the updates are those type of missing no-brainer, yet still unexciting features like that, that more than anything just make you think, "Wait. It wasn't able to do this before?".

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What would be the ideal way of washing the sports bands? The fabric ones I mean. I got the Pride band for my series 3 and found that after a week/two weeks of use, it would start to smell quite badly when it got wet. Probably sweat and dead skin making it reek.

Do I just chuck it into the washing machine?

Miyahon

Nov 8, 2017
What would be the ideal way of washing the sports bands? The fabric ones I mean. I got the Pride band for my series 3 and found that after a week/two weeks of use, it would start to smell quite badly when it got wet. Probably sweat and dead skin making it reek.

Do I just chuck it into the washing machine?

I hand wash mine with some mild detergent and air dry it. I would not put it in my washing machine as it could possibly damage the machine or ruin the band.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hand wash mine with some mild detergent and air dry it. I would not put it in my washing machine as it could possibly damage the machine or ruin the band.
I was thinking of putting it inside a washing bag, the one my GF uses for her bra's etc. Hmm. Might as well just use soap and scrub it clean though. Faster and probably just as effective.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I was thinking of putting it inside a washing bag, the one my GF uses for her bra's etc. Hmm. Might as well just use soap and scrub it clean though. Faster and probably just as effective.
I'd try wetting it, massaging detergent into it by hand for a few minutes, then rinsing it again. That's what I've read is best and works.

Mar 3, 2018
cross posting from the Apple OT

man oh man

i hate this feeling

Ive been using the apple watch series 3 for 24 hours now and already contemplating going back to the store and swapping it with a series 5

Ive already used it most of today as I have been doing chores around the house with my phone sitting on my desk. Used it to set reminders, send and reply to messages, change music etc

I can already tell it's going to be very useful long term, so seems like a good investment....

arghhh I hate this dilemma

Is it worth the upgrade??? mainly worried that in a year my series 3 will be running slower compared to a series 5 which will last for a few more years. Series 3 is already 2 years old.

Jan 1, 2018
Just got my watch last night. It was fully charged this morning and completely dead after wearing it for about 8 hours. This is depressing. The only thing it was used for was getting notifications from my phone.

I saw people mention there might be ways to correct this but it was a little unclear. Can someone help me out?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
cross posting from the Apple OT

man oh man

i hate this feeling

Ive been using the apple watch series 3 for 24 hours now and already contemplating going back to the store and swapping it with a series 5

Ive already used it most of today as I have been doing chores around the house with my phone sitting on my desk. Used it to set reminders, send and reply to messages, change music etc

I can already tell it's going to be very useful long term, so seems like a good investment....

arghhh I hate this dilemma

Is it worth the upgrade??? mainly worried that in a year my series 3 will be running slower compared to a series 5 which will last for a few more years. Series 3 is already 2 years old.

I think 3 to 4/5 is definitely worth it for the screen real estate, I tried my friends 3 for a bit before deciding.

Why not split the difference and get a series 4 on sale? They are down to $300/$329 in some places (Walmart in store right now).

Just got my watch last night. It was fully charged this morning and completely dead after wearing it for about 8 hours. This is depressing. The only thing it was used for was getting notifications from my phone.

I saw people mention there might be ways to correct this but it was a little unclear. Can someone help me out?

8 hours is a return and get a different one situation. I was whinging that I was getting 18 hours, which is when I was looking for various fixes/tricks to get it to match the Series 4 numbers.

Mar 3, 2018
I think 3 to 4/5 is definitely worth it for the screen real estate, I tried my friends 3 for a bit before deciding.

Why not split the difference and get a series 4 on sale? They are down to $300/$329 in some places (Walmart in store right now).

I live in Canada and unfortunately I haven't seen the 4 go on sale anywhere here. I went to Best Buy and they were selling the 4 for $500, and at that point I might as well buy the series 5 for $550. This is Canadian dollar btw.

Jan 1, 2018

8 hours is a return and get a different one situation. I was whinging that I was getting 18 hours, which is when I was looking for various fixes/tricks to get it to match the Series 4 numbers.

So, I realized my watch had downloaded every possible app from my phone and I also had background refresh turned on for all of them. I deleted these apps and turned off background refresh and it is doing much better today. I am at about 10 hours with 53% remaining.

Freestyler

Oct 27, 2017
I finally gave in to temptation on the weekend and bought a Series 5. Gosh darn this thing SCREAMS compared to the Series 2 I've had for years.

It's nice to be able to actually use apps again without having to pre-empt them for 30 seconds (eg. if I was about to hit the treadmill, I'd have to open the Workout app at least 30 seconds before I get to the treadmill, as it would take that long before the app would finally open).

Loving the bigger display too, and the AOD is helpful.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
I finally gave in to temptation on the weekend and bought a Series 5. Gosh darn this thing SCREAMS compared to the Series 2 I've had for years.

It's nice to be able to actually use apps again without having to pre-empt them for 30 seconds (eg. if I was about to hit the treadmill, I'd have to open the Workout app at least 30 seconds before I get to the treadmill, as it would take that long before the app would finally open).

Loving the bigger display too, and the AOD is helpful.
Same upgrade path and I feel the same. I just LOVE how responsive and fast it is when going between apps.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

6.0.1 released.

Code:
watchOS 6.0.1 optimizes performance, provides security updates, and contains improvements and bug fixes, including:
- Resolves an issue where the Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse watch face does not speak time
- Addresses an issue where the calendar complication may not display events
- Fixes a bug that could result in a loss of display calibration data

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
I have been using my series 5 since launch day. Truly night and day difference in the fitness tracking compared to the series 0. I am slowly getting out of the habit of the wrist flick to check my watch muscle memory.