• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Finish?

• Aluminum

Votes: 88 44.7%
  • Stainless Steel

Votes: 49 24.9%
  • Titanium

Votes: 39 19.8%
  • Ceramic

Votes: 21 10.7%

• Total voters

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

Preorder today, releases Sep 20

Edit: now available to order

Last edited:

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Woo! I'm due for a new Apple Watch, so I'll probably pick one of these up in November, or so.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Apple's initiative in the Smartwatch game is inching me closer and closer to ditching Android for the first time ever.

Really disappointed in Google's overall efforts.

This sounds great for the mobile Apple gang/Apple users.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I wish I could talk my parents (both are 70+) to wear Apple watches for the heartrate features and fall detection, but they would not only not wear the watches, but they'd outright refuse them like they did with the iMac I surprised them with one day. Had to return to the store the same day; so awkward.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Noticed they didn't mention a new SoC at all. Is it really just a Series 4 with a new display controller and compass?

I'm a bit concerned they are going to drop Series 4 entirely since they didn't mention it.

It's not for sale anymore, just 5 and 3. It'll still get software support though obviously, so it's not a problem for existing 4 owners.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
In, been waiting for the last three months now. Glad I waited, always-on is a big bump.

Disappointed at the lack of Sleep Tracking features.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's the battery life tho

Will take a lot to dislodge me from my Fenix 5
18 hours, but I'd say we'd get less than that.

My 2 biggest problems on the Apple Watch series 4 is that
1) Isn't always on (solved here)
2) Nearly have to take it off my wrist every other day (not even close to solved) . I turn off heartrate, simple display and it gives it a few more hours, but my Amazfit Bit literally lasted 3 weeks on a single charge. The reason I got rid of it was that the bluetooth would desync and I didn't get notifications when it happened.

I think I still want to somehow trade in my watch for this new one...

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Same battery life? Hard pass then. Maybe they'll get it right someday.

What kind of battery life are you looking for? Given the nature of the device and what it does, current battery tech, etc., it's going to be a "charge on the nightstand every night or every other night" thing for the foreseeable future I think.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of battery life are you looking for? Given the nature of the device and what it does, current battery tech, etc., it's going to be a "charge on the nightstand every night or every other night" thing for the foreseeable future I think.

Right.. I mean my wife just charges hers while she showers and gets dressed every day and that's enough.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I can say these things sound amazing, well put together, super useful, and really ahead of their peers.

I can also say, I can't for the life of me make that purchase.

And I'm not sure why there's that disconnect for me personally.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I adore my Series 4, so I'm sticking with it for a while. This looks like a really nice update, though.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017

I think unless the fitness tracking features are big draw for you personally, the rest of the functionality is mostly just an accumulation of little niceties that let you avoid pulling out your phone. Which I imagine would have a tough time justifying the cost for most people.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I can say these things sound amazing, well put together, super useful, and really ahead of their peers.

The biggest draw for me was that I leave my phone at home much of the time. I flip on cellular and go.

No I'm not posting to Twitter and stuff like that on my watch but there are so many things that I can do that it's worth it. I'd say my watch and iPad are the two essential Apple devices that I own. Yeah you still need the phone but I now tend to let that lag behind for years while the others get regular updates at my house. I'm also not reading my e-mails on the watch but I can see enough at a glance to know I have a work thing I need to get on.

TLDR:

Watch for me: Fitness, sleep tracking. Phone, texts, e-mail notification on the go. Leave the phone at home.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest draw for me was that I leave my phone at home much of the time. I flip on cellular and go.

No I'm not posting to Twitter and stuff like that on my watch but there are so many things that I can do that it's worth it. I'd say my watch and iPad are the two essential Apple devices that I own. Yeah you still need the phone but I now tend to let that lag behind for years while the others get regular updates at my house.

How does that work? Like are they both working off cellular, so you can literally just leave it at home and go to work with just the watch?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
How does that work? Like are they both working off cellular, so you can literally just leave it at home and go to work with just the watch?

You pay your provider some monthly charge (that I forget) and it's somehow paired to your iPhone's number. Cellular can be toggled on/off (and yeah there's a battery hit). But yeah otherwise you can leave the phone behind.

If you're someone that's dicking around on the phone to kill free time then it's a no-go. I go for long walks, run errands, etc and just leave the phone behind but I'm still connected enough to be on top of stuff even if I'm on call at work.

If you get texts for which there's a simple reply then you can just click "Yes", "I'll call you later" or whatever canned response. Otherwise you can voice dictate a text response. The phone quality is pretty good too, but it'll hit your battery if you talk on the phone a ton. But it's great for taking a call while driving or out and about.

I forgot about Apple Pay. I use it a lot so being able to do it from the watch with no phone is nice.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Damn same release date as Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2, which already released only half a year after Active 1 to catch up with the ECG of Apple series 4. Seems like the heat is on.
Not sure why though, as long as Apple Watch only connects to iPhone, they remain two separate niches.

Oct 25, 2017

always on huh

I wonder how much I can trade my Series 4 in for...
Same battery life? Hard pass then. Maybe they'll get it right someday there will be a breakthrough in lithium/portable battery technology some day.
Fixed that for you. Cause honestly these are the limits of battery life with the current tech and all that it does. Not sure what you're expecting in battery life in hardware of this class.

Oct 25, 2017

I have a ton of meetings that crop up and shift around constantly every work day, so the watch is immensely helpful in catching glimpses of those changes instantly, on top of the robust fitness features. But yeah if those aren't things you really need to track, the watch is a bit of a splurge over a necessity.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iirc series 4 was like 369 for the smaller one and 429 for the larger one.

I have the larger series 4 (44 mm i believe).
"Watch Series 4 is now available for purchase and starts at $399," according to Google. Series 3 was 329 at launch tho, so a slight price hike if the price is launch price.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Iirc series 4 was like 369 for the smaller one and 429 for the larger one.

I have the larger series 4 (44 mm i believe).

This doesn't line up with any of the launch review articles.

Series 4 starting prices, USA @ launch:

GPS only small: $399
GPS only large: $429
LTE only small: $499
LTE only large: $529

DarthButcher

Oct 30, 2017
Apple got me for an upgrade with the always-on display. I had a Series 0 and now a 3 and this has been my biggest desire for years.

jizzywinks

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I might upgrade next year as I'm still happy with my series 3, but always-on is a nice surprise. Being able to customize your case/band combo in store is one of those "why couldn't I do this already?" things!

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I mean, my watch face activates with a wrist raise on series 3, this always on thing is nice, but not enough to make me need it now for that price

guess my s3 will tank in value but I always figured on using It as a hand me down anyways

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like there's been some price drops on bands. Milanese loop and leather loop are now $99 (down from $149).

Apple Watch Edition branding is back for the titanium and ceramic models. Titanium looks to start at $799, ceramic at $1299 (matching S2/S3 ceramic prices).

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
"Watch Series 4 is now available for purchase and starts at $399," according to Google. Series 3 was 329 at launch tho, so a slight price hike if the price is launch price.

Interesting. I only remembered the price for the one I bought. For some reason I thought it was a bigger upgrade cost than $30.