• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Finish?

• Aluminum

Votes: 88 44.7%
  • Stainless Steel

Votes: 49 24.9%
  • Titanium

Votes: 39 19.8%
  • Ceramic

Votes: 21 10.7%

• Total voters

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Not worth it if you have a S4 imo. We all know this just set the stage for the insane S5. I always find watches need about 3 gens to make it worth it for me. (exception was OG Series 0 -> Series 1)

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Have a S4, considering an upgrade. Looks like Apple is only offering $100 for the trade-in, anyone know of a better place I should look?

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
An 18 hour battery life is a really hard sell coming from the Garmin world where 7-day battery life is the norm. What's eating all the juice on these? Is it really just just the screen technology?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Series 3 for me it is. Don't need all the bells and whistles for the things I want to do with it.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
An 18 hour battery life is a really hard sell coming from the Garmin world where 7-day battery life is the norm. What's eating all the juice on these? Is it really just just the screen technology?
That seems a little short. I have a series three and I can get two days out of mine. I basically charge every other night.

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How do these watches play with Android? I can't ditch my Android phone (or the Google ecosystem).

BigBlue

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I was hoping to upgrade from my Galaxy Watch, but my Galaxy Watch already has always on display and it has a 4 day battery life. Oh well maybe next year

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
18 hours, but I'd say we'd get less than that.

My 2 biggest problems on the Apple Watch series 4 is that
1) Isn't always on (solved here)
2) Nearly have to take it off my wrist every other day (not even close to solved) . I turn off heartrate, simple display and it gives it a few more hours, but my Amazfit Bit literally lasted 3 weeks on a single charge. The reason I got rid of it was that the bluetooth would desync and I didn't get notifications when it happened.

I think I still want to somehow trade in my watch for this new one...
Damn 18 hours on a fifth generation of an Apple smartwatch?

That's terrible.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, the only devices that got good battery life ran on e-ink tech. Two days always on is a damn miracle with a display without major compromises

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried the series 2 a while back and returned it after a week or so. Besides just not really needing it in my life, it was honestly the lack of an always-on screen that bothered the hell out of me. The wrist raising motion didn't even activate properly all of the time.

This series 5 looks interesting to me, though. Is there a good list of differences in functionality between the GPS-only and Cellular models? Also, do most carriers charge an additional monthly fee to activate cellular on your watch?

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only time my Series 4 has ever died while I was using it was when an iOS 13 beta had a bug that tanked the battery life.

Unless you are just allergic to the idea of charging once every day or two, the battery life is a non-issue.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
The only time my Series 4 has ever died while I was using it was when an iOS 13 beta had a bug that tanked the battery life.

Unless you are just allergic to the idea of charging once every day or two, the battery life is a non-issue.

Agreed. I take it off for a half hour or something and I'm good. I've never run out of battery.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Battery life is a killer for me. My Fitbit lasts over a week on a charge, making it good for weekend camping trips where I want to log my miles and steps.

Otherwise, I've switched everything over to Apple now. Wish they would release a simplified fitness version with better battery life, then I'd be all-in.

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Battery life is a killer for me. My Fitbit lasts over a week on a charge, making it good for weekend camping trips where I want to log my miles and steps.

Otherwise, I've switched everything over to Apple now. Wish they would release a simplified fitness version with better battery life, then I'd be all-in.

Can you not just bring a USB battery pack or something? I would think that's standard issue for anyone going on a camping trip without a power outlet these days.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
I wish these worked on Android.

The WearOS and Samsung offerings look like shitty knockoffs compared to these.

Oct 25, 2017
Think this might be the year I finally get one. Couple quick questions:

1. Is there anything special about the Nike watches other than specific bands?
  2. Does the sport band get nasty with sweat? The sport band seems easier to clean.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Seriously man.

Its unbelievable to me that a 5th gen Apple watch hasn't improved battery life yet.

Battery life is one of the most important parts of a smartwatch.

jizzywinks

Oct 27, 2017
UK

2. Does the sport band get nasty with sweat? The sport band seems easier to clean.

1. There are a few Nike-exclusive watch faces that you can't add to a non-Nike+ apple watch
2. Sport Loop holds up well and is easy to clean. Some people find it a little too chunky, but it's my favourite one

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

The silicone sport is definitely easier to clean, but the velcro one actually isn't bad at all. I had the same concern but I've rinsed mine off a bunch of times and it hasn't had any noticeable effect on it. That said I do prefer the silicone ones for working one, I would definitely go to an Apple Store and check them out in person before buying one.

I'm a little bummed out I got a Series 4 now. It felt like there were only very minor improvement between Series 0-3 so I felt safe buying one assuming that we'd have that basic design for a few years again, but the always-on display is pretty huge. Oh well.

It's awesome that you can now get whatever strap you want, being stuck with one of the handful of default straps was always really annoying. I really like the new straps too, the two-tone sport loop ones especially look really nice, think I'm going to grab the Alaskan Blue one. I'm liking the yellow leather loop too. The saddle brown one is a little baffling, looks super ugly to me. How many different shades of brown has Apple called "saddle brown," it's bizarre how each product with that name looks different from the last. This one looks nearly red, maybe it's just my monitor.

Deleted member 8901

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, I'd be so down for an Apple Watch in the style of a Fitbit Charge / Alta / Inspire with 1-2 week battery life.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Same battery life? Hard pass then. Maybe they'll get it right someday.
I think the battery life for these is generally fine. I'm on a 2 and never have it run out in a single day.. I presume the updates in the years since have made it even better. I don't sleep with mine and just throw it on the charger for 30 minutes when I'm getting ready and it's never been an issue.

Voidance

Oct 27, 2017
I have a stainless Series 3 and I was considering a titanium Series 5, but this year's model seems like a bit of a disappointment outside of the new screen. No mention of any processor upgrades, any inclusion of sapphire glass, or really any focus outside of the AOD (which is a big improvement). I'm on the fence especially since it's about a thousand dollar upgrade inclusive of Apple Care and taxes.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I'm really curious to see the titanium ones in person. Ceramic looks awesome, I hope that becomes a regular option instead of just once every other year or so.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
That gold watch with the purple band in the promos looks absolutely spectacular. I couldn't rock it myself, but it is a joyous sight to me, lol.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Gosh might finally have to cop one of these. Haven't owned one before (have a Fitbit Blaze atm). I like the sound of the always on display.

Voidance

Oct 27, 2017
the steel and edition models (including titanium) use sapphire as they always have
Thanks! I assumed they did but wasn't sure if the moved the whole line to the same glass similar to what they did with the back.

Gonna look for more impressions but I'm leaning on waiting for the Series 6 next year when I upgrade my iPhone.

kelik

Oct 27, 2017
Grabbing one for my fiancee (upgrade from series 2). I'll hold off until the GPS is a bit better.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Does this new one track your sleep at all?

I assume the series 3 doesn't. I've never bought a smart watch before and deciding between an Apple Watch or a Fitbit Versa 2.

Would love if the series 3 could track sleep at that $200 price tag like the Versa 2.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Does this new one track your sleep at all?

I assume the series 3 doesn't. I've never bought a smart watch before and deciding between an Apple Watch or a Fitbit Versa 2.

Would love if the series 3 could track sleep at that $200 price tag like the Versa 2.
AutoSleep is a few bucks on the AppStore and works perfectly. I've been using it for years with different Apple watches.
There's no native Apple Watch sleep tracking yet, though it's been recently rumored to happen eventually

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
AutoSleep is a few bucks on the AppStore and works perfectly. I've been using it for years with different Apple watches.
There's no native Apple Watch sleep tracking yet, though it's been recently rumored to happen eventually

Would you say it's as good as what you get on a FitBit?

My wife and daughter both use and love their Fitbits and I would really like that level of detail because I want to be more active.

If I can do that with a series 3 I may go in that direction.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

My wife and daughter both use and love their Fitbits and I would really like that level of detail because I want to be more active.

Unfortunately can't say anything regarding that, never used a Fitbit. Autosleep has tons of data points in app, but I just use it to have the sleep duration in the ios native heath app and it does that job wonderfully and accurately for me.

FerranMG

Oct 29, 2017

Autosleep is as good as it gets, seriously.
I've previously used Sleep Cycle, and Pillow, and they don't hold a candle to Autosleep.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Lol at Apple. I'm getting €60 when trading in my Apple Watch 4..........lmfao..............Who in their right mind would trade in their Apple products at the Apple store?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Lol at Apple. I'm getting €60 when trading in my Apple Watch 4..........lmfao..............Who in their right mind would trade in their Apple products at the Apple store?
Fools and lazy people lol. They want to give me 300 for my X when I can easily get 500 on ebay. I would also like to take this moment to say that I hate how they're skewing prices in the store app by automatically factoring in a hypothetical trade in