• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Finish?

• Aluminum

Votes: 88 44.7%
  • Stainless Steel

Votes: 49 24.9%
  • Titanium

Votes: 39 19.8%
  • Ceramic

Votes: 21 10.7%

• Total voters

FerranMG

Oct 29, 2017
About Series 5, I'm kinda concerned about privacy.
Would notifications be displayed in the always on display?
I hope not.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
I currently am in Apple's ecosystem (phone, ipad, mac, tv) but don't have a watch because, well, not sure I needed it. But $199 for the 3 seems compelling. Is it worth it? I almost always have my phone on me so I can't imagine needing a watch to get to texts that much faster, but it seems like a cool piece of tech regardless. Or is the 5 that much better?

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Unfortunately can't say anything regarding that, never used a Fitbit. Autosleep has tons of data points in app, but I just use it to have the sleep duration in the ios native heath app and it does that job wonderfully and accurately for me.

I think it tells her stuff like how long she slept, if she woke up at all. Basically letting her know much actual good sleep she got.

Also is the Series 3 swim proof? I'm leaning more towards it now reading up on some of the Fitbit stuff and I've been in the Apple ecosystem a long time. Currently use a XS Max as my phone.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only time my Series 4 has ever died while I was using it was when an iOS 13 beta had a bug that tanked the battery life.

Unless you are just allergic to the idea of charging once every day or two, the battery life is a non-issue.

Not allergic - it just doesn't do what I need it to. I like to take 3 day hiking trips sometimes. My current watch will track GPS the whole time without a charge.

Plus, yeah I like having the sleep tracking.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone help me out, last year when the Series 4 came out, were they any BF deals for it? If so I can wait 2 more months but otherwise I'll just get it.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, always on might be a worthwhile upgrade from my 3. Need to see it in action first though.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not allergic - it just doesn't do what I need it to. I like to take 3 day hiking trips sometimes. My current watch will track GPS the whole time without a charge.

Plus, yeah I like having the sleep tracking.

Another post mentioned hiking and camping trips as a use case as well - do you not carry a USB battery pack with you on a hike? It seems like a really obvious thing to bring on a trip like that for charging phones, and it will charge an Apple Watch just as well (without much impact on the battery pack either - Watch batteries don't take a lot of power to charge).

Sleep tracking I can understand more. Honestly I think it'd be possible for them to implement sleep tracking with current levels of Watch battery life as it is, given I have accidentally fallen asleep with mine on plenty of times and woken up to more than 50% battery left. There's been rumors that Apple's working on sleep tracking for the Watch, but how that'll work remains to be seen.

Oct 25, 2017
I currently am in Apple's ecosystem (phone, ipad, mac, tv) but don't have a watch because, well, not sure I needed it. But $199 for the 3 seems compelling. Is it worth it? I almost always have my phone on me so I can't imagine needing a watch to get to texts that much faster, but it seems like a cool piece of tech regardless. Or is the 5 that much better?
Are you into fitness at all? It's fantastic for tracking and cataloguing your activities. Do you work or go to school where your calendar is always updating with meetings and such? It's fantastic for keeping you up-to-date on such tasks and their changes. Beyond that it's a bit more of a splurge than a necessity. Although it is nice to be able to look at texts/weather and messages in a flash without having to whip out your phone. It's a small convenience but a noticeable one once it's gone.

Between the 3 and the 5 you're looking at a big jump in speed and processing power, which is honestly worth it for this kind of device. I would say the Apple Watch didn't really become the product they promised until the Series 4 thanks to the speed, OS and usability bump. In addition there are other differences like The Walkie Talkie feature, (very useful with family or significant others who have Series 4 and up) and EKG reading. And battery life is better too.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Was a big fan of smart watches in the early days. Had a Sony Watch, Huawei Watch, and Samsung Gear Active.

Ended up hating how much it made me look at notifications. I've now gone back hard to traditional watches.

Oct 25, 2017
Sleep tracking I can understand more. Honestly I think it'd be possible for them to implement sleep tracking with current levels of Watch battery life as it is, given I have accidentally fallen asleep with mine on plenty of times and woken up to more than 50% battery left. There's been rumors that Apple's working on sleep tracking for the Watch, but how that'll work remains to be seen.
I use mine for sleep tracking already. There are apps on the store for it (which sync with Apple Health), and it lasts the night easily and most of the day as well. I just made the simple adjustment of my charging schedule: plopping it in a charger after I wake up, and grabbing it again on the way out the door to go to work at nearly full charge by that point and repeat.

Kimchi_Breath

Oct 25, 2017
How well does brushed titanium hold up to scratches? The space black stainless steel watch I had always looked flawless.

toohectic

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly prioritize weight, so I'm having a hard time choosing between titanium model and standard aluminum model. My aluminum series 1 has held up extremely well with virtually no signs of wear, so it's hard to justify the extra 400 for the titanium. Plus the aluminum should still be the lighter choice overall. I don't really need the cellular support, but the sapphire screen would be nice even though my standard glass screen is basically blemish free. I guess I'm still leaning toward the aluminum model, but I'll probably wait to feel them in store. Do they have weight info for the various case materials?

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another post mentioned hiking and camping trips as a use case as well - do you not carry a USB battery pack with you on a hike? It seems like a really obvious thing to bring on a trip like that for charging phones, and it will charge an Apple Watch just as well (without much impact on the battery pack either - Watch batteries don't take a lot of power to charge).

Good point. Yes I do, a pretty hefty one (Zendure USB-C) and a fold out Anker solar panel as well. Here's the problem - low draw USB devices like BT headphones and smart watches have some problems actually charging off these battery packs because the draw is so minimal, they tend to shut off when the resistance on the circuit is so tiny. This is a known issue with all low draw things like smart watches. So while I could charge my watch if it was really low, it often will stop charging at like 50%. I had to find this out the hard way. Plus it's just nicer to not interrupt your GPS track, bring yet another cord etc. it's a good point you make and it SHOULD work no problem but that's not the case sadly.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
Are you into fitness at all? It's fantastic for tracking and cataloguing your activities. Do you work or go to school where your calendar is always updating with meetings and such? It's fantastic for keeping you up-to-date on such tasks and their changes. Beyond that it's a bit more of a splurge than a necessity. Although it is nice to be able to look at texts/weather and messages in a flash without having to whip out your phone. It's a small convenience but a noticeable one once it's gone.

Between the 3 and the 5 you're looking at a big jump in speed and processing power, which is honestly worth it for this kind of device. I would say the Apple Watch didn't really become the product they promised until the Series 4 thanks to the speed, OS and usability bump. In addition there are other differences like The Walkie Talkie feature, (very useful with family or significant others who have Series 4 and up) and EKG reading. And battery life is better too.

Thanks for this. The fitness part is a huge draw - I'm a big runner and would love to have the route mapping and speed/timing. Calendar isn't as important since my daily work calendar is most important and that's tied to MS Teams. Think I'll splurge on the 5, thanks for the advice.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this. The fitness part is a huge draw - I'm a big runner and would love to have the route mapping and speed/timing. Calendar isn't as important since my daily work calendar is most important and that's tied to MS Teams. Think I'll splurge on the 5, thanks for the advice.

I would say at least look at the vivoactive 3 before you splurge. It's cheaper and Garmin stuff is better for runners right now IMO. I'm sure the Watch is pretty good as well but it's more activity monitor than fully sports oriented.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I think I'm going to get this. Looks like a worthy upgrade to my Series 2. Not sure if the LTE option is worth the asking price, though.

Lol at Apple. I'm getting €60 when trading in my Apple Watch 4..........lmfao..............Who in their right mind would trade in their Apple products at the Apple store?
Just clean it up and sell it on eBay/Craigslist. That's what everyone who buys (rather than finances) their equipment does.

Deleted member 1722

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm still gonna wear my s0 for another year. But man what an impressive upgrade! The watch is moving so fast!

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
What's actually new about the ceramic option? Same option as with Series 4 as far as I can see?

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
there was no ceramic option in S4. it was available in S2 and S3, then disappeared for 4, and is now back for 5.
Oh, I didn't even notice that they discontinued it for S4. The share of Edition sales is probably minuscle.

But at the same time, it makes sense to reintroduce it now that the Watch hardware is maturing a bit and will probably remain usable for many more years than early series (batteries aside).

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
400 bucks for the convenience of not pulling your phone out. I've never been interested and never will be.

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
Will store pickup be available later? I want to buy a watch but I won't be home on launch day.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I actually would love to have an Apple watch, but man I can't justify the price for the ability to check texts/play music from it(which is honestly all I'd use it for). Plus they look kind of ugly.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
400 bucks for the convenience of not pulling your phone out. I've never been interested and never will be.

For me it's the convenience of leaving my phone at home. If you're glued to your phone then yeah, it doesn't really add any functionality (though it does have the health monitoring stuff). But going to the gym, for a run, to the store, etc. without my phone is great. I've used my phone way, way less since I got my Watch and I love it for that, really helped break some bad habits.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be curious if you can turn always-on off. I'd personally prefer the longer battery life and I like that people can't see what's on my wrist easily.
About Series 5, I'm kinda concerned about privacy.
Would notifications be displayed in the always on display?
I hope not.

I assume it'll still require attention to flash new notifications and similar. So no one is gonna read your texts because they won't actually show up until you look.

Apple's initiative in the Smartwatch game is inching me closer and closer to ditching Android for the first time ever.

Really disappointed in Google's overall efforts.

This sounds great for the mobile Apple gang/Apple users.

To be fair to Google, they're kind of hamstrung here. Apple is making its own chips, the Android

I mean the S4 for me was a nice to have (I had a gift card so getting it for $200 took the sting out of it) but I find it phenomenal in ways I didn't anticipate. I never miss my SO's texts when I'm out walking, I pull out my phone a lot less, and I enjoy not looking like an idiot tourist when I can send directions to my wrist and get turn-by-turn with taps to my wrist.

Oh, I didn't even notice that they discontinued it for S4. The share of Edition sales is probably minuscle.

But at the same time, it makes sense to reintroduce it now that the Watch hardware is maturing a bit and will probably remain usable for many more years than early series (batteries aside).

Yeah in a year or two when I'm interested in upgrading, I'll actually consider a stainless or titanium option since it seems like you'll actually be able to keep them for 3–4+ years.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty tempted to pick one of these up and replace my model 3. Really regret having gone stainless steel on that one. That said, I'd love to have ceramic or titanium.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
User banned (1 day): drive-by trolling with misinformation
KlZmdwJ.jpg

Just like the extra monitor stand, the watch now doesn't include the band!