• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Finish?

• Aluminum

Votes: 88 44.7%
  • Stainless Steel

Votes: 49 24.9%
  • Titanium

Votes: 39 19.8%
  • Ceramic

Votes: 21 10.7%

• Total voters

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I'd upgrade to the 5 from my SS 4 if there was a better green band. Sucks there's nothing that matches the new iPhone Pro.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I asked in the other thread but nobody seemed to be able to clarify - are the GPS models still tied to the country of purchase? i.e. no roaming? It would be annoying to buy one in the USA and not have it work at home, and it is even a little annoying not being able to use one of the main features of a watch when traveling. Did this change in the 4 series? (I'm still rocking a SS series 3)

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about buying one. I've had a Fossil hybrid watch for two years, and I think I would like to go full smart watch.

Would go with a Nike one, as I'd want to do all my exercise with it, and the holes seem best for sweaty wrists.

Looking forward to learning more!

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I asked in the other thread but nobody seemed to be able to clarify - are the GPS models still tied to the country of purchase? i.e. no roaming? It would be annoying to buy one in the USA and not have it work at home, and it is even a little annoying not being able to use one of the main features of a watch when traveling. Did this change in the 4 series? (I'm still rocking a SS series 3)

Since they didn't say anything, I would assume this is the case. Independent cellular roaming is not something I would expect of the S5 unless otherwise noted. So if you buy one in the U.S. it will not work without the phone anywhere else in the world.

None of this applies when your phone is on you, of course

Oct 25, 2017
Always on and a compass? Gonna give my OG Pebble a run for its money (well the Pebble was still very readable outdoors and got a 5 day battery life). It's kinda amazing how crippling OLED was for the smartwatch industry.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
How many people are going to leave their always on displays on in the movie theater?

I'm curious to see it in person but it looks like it still gets quite a bit dimmer if you're not checking it. When the current models would be off the 5 is at low brightness. Presumably it will have auto-brightness as well so it will get appropriately dimmer in a dark room. I'm sure it will be possible to be obnoxious and crank the brightness up but I don't think it will be an issue unless the user goes out of their way to make it one.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many people are going to leave their always on displays on in the movie theater?

the watch has a theater mode where the display turns off and won't turn on unless you tap it, which i'd bet works the same way here.

of course, people could be rude and not use it, but they already do that with their phones and shit too. people gonna people

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is the always on working for app ?
Im using map when I'm driving my bike and sometimes a quick look at red stop without moving my hand would be nice. But with that refresh rate I don't know if it would be working

Deleted member 25702

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm watch-curious and been looking at older Apple Watches. What series of older watches is still minimally good-working to test the waters without diving straight to S5?

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Just FYI, there's a litany of dirt cheap bands available in every colour you want on sites like AliExpress.

I have like 7-8 silicon and fabric bands I like to switch between and the quality all seems perfectly fine. Spending that on the 'official' bands would have cost me at least 300 bucks while it was around 35 bucks total for me.

Khaos Prime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never had a smart watch, so I'm kind of interested in this. But I don't know if I can justify paying $400/500 on a damn watch.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
It's been interesting to see the watch development over the years. I'm gobsmacked they didn't make a proper good running / activity watch.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I would turn the AOD off mainly cause the watch looks so much nicer blank. Yeah theres the super simple watch faces with no info or complications but that kind of defeats the point of a smart watch imo.

Now what would be useful is if the AOD has two modes. AOD with a simple watch face, and then when you turn it to your face the watch face expands(in an animated way) to reveal more notifications and complications.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The AppleInsider video mentioned that the weight of the titanium and stainless steel seemed about the same which is, weird? Half the reason I wanted to go to the titanium was I wanted it to be noticeably lighter.

Apple of course has not posted weight in their comparison online

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
So Sprint has the S4 with cellular at $400, should I jump on that deal or hold out for better? Don't want a 5 and like the screen better than a 3.

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
I said I was never going to buy another Apple Watch until the always on display happened. They could make a week long battery but if it didn't have always on display I'd still chose the always on. Massively important update. However, in the meantime I've lost total interest in the iPhone and want to switch to Android for the Pixel 4 or Note 10+. Hmm....

Really wish we had some info on the next Galaxy Watch update.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want the new Apple Watch but I agree with you on the iPhone news. The new ones don't appeal to me the same way as they used to. If there was a comparable watch on Android I'd most likely jump ship completely, but I just hate how bulky and big the watch offerings on the Android side are. I have a small wrist and tried the smallest Galaxy Watch once and it looked like I had a fucking phone on my wrist. They're stupidly huge. But I do acknowledge that my knowledge of other watches on Android is limited.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I must be missing something. What's the practical benefit of the always-on watch?

MC-MC

Dec 15, 2017
Which of the materials is the most scratch proof? Also O2 is one of the networks that can be used on the watch in the UK; if I'm already on an O2 pay monthly contract is there an additional charge to use the watch?

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I must be missing something. What's the practical benefit of the always-on watch?
Personally not a huge deal to me, but it's handy when you can't raise your wrist because you're already carrying or holding something. It's convenient as it eliminates some tricky attempts at trying to get the screen to turn on when you're hands aren't quite positioned for it.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017

There are times when, for example, i'm in a meeting and I want to see the time - but it's very difficult to do without making it obvious that you are looking at the time. It comes across as almost making a point the way you have to motion your arm. If you could just have a sneaky glance at your wrist, it would be better.

Gently twisting the wheel at the side usually solves this problem with the S4, but still, seems a decent feature.

I got the S4 at the start of the year though, so likely S6 when I upgrade.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I said I was never going to buy another Apple Watch until the always on display happened. They could make a week long battery but if it didn't have always on display I'd still chose the always on. Massively important update. However, in the meantime I've lost total interest in the iPhone and want to switch to Android for the Pixel 4 or Note 10+. Hmm....

I want the new Apple Watch but I agree with you on the iPhone news. The new ones don't appeal to me the same way as they used to. If there was a comparable watch on Android I'd most likely jump ship completely, but I just hate how bulky and big the watch offerings on the Android side are. I have a small wrist and tried the smallest Galaxy Watch once and it looked like I had a fucking phone on my wrist. They're stupidly huge. But I do acknowledge that my knowledge of other watches on Android is limited.

No Android watch has ever impressed me tbh. A 'semi-smart' Fossil has felt like the one that is the most polished.

While it might not have been a must have update if I were on an S4, it is nice to have as a user who is going to get an S5 after wearing a regular watch everyday for the last 20 years.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Lol at Apple. I'm getting €60 when trading in my Apple Watch 4..........lmfao..............Who in their right mind would trade in their Apple products at the Apple store?
Wow, I'm legitimately surprised it's that low! The trade-in value quoted on the site for my 2 was $50 so that's especially shitty for the 4, lol. I am still happy with my current watch so I won't be upgrading, but I figured I'd check.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Is a protective case a recommended buy with these watches? Fixing to be the most expensive smart watch purchase I've made (only had Fitbits before), and I'm a bit nervous about the thing getting knocked around.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Is a protective case a recommended buy with these watches? Fixing to be the most expensive smart watch purchase I've made (only had Fitbits before), and I'm a bit nervous about the thing getting knocked around.

I don't see too many people with cases on their watches but there are some decent looking ones, give the watch a G-Shock/Garmin type of look.

Jun 20, 2019
Re
It's a real benefit when swimming. Both lift-to-activate and touch sense do not work correctly in the water, and the "in water" watch setting actually deactivates these completely (you must press the crown or side button to activate the screen). Always-on would make the Watch much more convenient in comparison.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
My personal philosophy is that if you are spending this much on a piece of tech, you are paying for the design as well. To stick a case on something that makes it feel like a cheap/bulky version, you aren't getting the full benefit that you paid for.

Probably helps that I have little experience of breaking tech, I suppose I will eventually. But I think something smashed every 5-10 years is better than having a case every day?

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
Apple Watches in cases are very nerdy. After easily breaking my aluminum one, I got a SS one and it hasn't had a scratch on it for years. The SS ones are much more durable, and definitely don't need a case.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I've been waiting for always-on since day 1, I always thought the watch looked stupid on my wrist with a big empty black rectangle on it. And of course the current watch is worse than a non-smart watch because the screen is visible to you from many angles without it detecting that you are looking at it, and sometimes takes even two tries of making a purposeful wrist-raise to see it. The lack of always-on was always the worst thing about the watch by far.

I do hate that Apple isn't adding always-on as an option for the older watches, and even in the newer one, it looks like they don't have an option for always-on-at-full-quality. With my usage, my watch as it is lasts two full days on a charge, but I charge it every night, so I have plenty of extra battery power going to waste. I mean, I don't take calls on my watch, I don't listen to music on it since I always have my phone with me.

If you are worried, instead of paying extra for a case, pay extra for Apple Care+ (it costs $79 for two years). With AppleCare+, any repair only costs $69 no matter what you do to the thing, even if the damage wasn't accidental, and involved a hammer, a drill, and someone holding your beer. You can use it twice in that two years.

Last edited:

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Just FYI, there's a litany of dirt cheap bands available in every colour you want on sites like AliExpress.

I have like 7-8 silicon and fabric bands I like to switch between and the quality all seems perfectly fine. Spending that on the 'official' bands would have cost me at least 300 bucks while it was around 35 bucks total for me.

Thanks for the tip! Just checked it out and the prices are so low.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Tempted to jump to a Series 3 from my Series 1, but honestly nothing seems worth the extra cash when my Series 1 does everything I need. Only thing it struggles with is toggling lights through the Home app.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Re
It's a real benefit when swimming. Both lift-to-activate and touch sense do not work correctly in the water, and the "in water" watch setting actually deactivates these completely (you must press the crown or side button to activate the screen). Always-on would make the Watch much more convenient in comparison.
Ah, that makes sense from a practical view.

I wonder why they don't turn it on for the series 3 and 4 (well I do money lol), Sure it may take a battery hit, but thats up to the consumer to decide to enable it.