• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
looks like I'm not going to be doing any UE4 editing on my Mac

(not that I was planning on it anyway)

Oct 25, 2017
For real though: I get, theoretically at least, Epic suing over pricing or whatever. But if a store decides they don't want to sell your product... can you sue them for that? Like if amazon told Samsung to piss off, could Samsung sue and say you *must* sell our wares?

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
They are not pulling any punches, are they? To be expected but still somewhat surprising they are taking away everything from a dev point of view.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For real though: I get, theoretically at least, Epic suing over pricing or whatever. But if a store decides they don't want to sell your product... can you sue them for that? Like if amazon told Samsung to piss off, could Samsung sue and say you *must* sell our wares?

No, Amazon didn't sell Nintendo products directly for a while either because of a dispute.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think you would only have a case if your product was kicked off a store so the store owner could sell their own version. That would be unfairly eliminating competition.

I'm not a lawyer though, only bird law.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Didn't they have a big collaboration for Apple's Metal graphics API? I recall Epic promoting it left right and center a few years ago.

Wild development.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I feel like the Samsung comparison falls a little short because those devices aren't locked down in the same way that Apple's are. If you can't sell on the Samsung store, you still have avenues to get Fortnite on your phone. Not the case with Apple which locks you out of their devices completely, short of jailbreaking.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
The hell did Epic expect? They straight up declared war on Apple.
yeah, they made it weirdly "personal" (in quotes because it's just two giant corporations) and attacked the entire brand to an audience of 12 year olds

whether or not it was justified is debatable, but Apple's desire to come back hard against it is understandable. brand loyalty is a huge part of their business, and Epic just sullied their name to the Fortnite generation

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
This is absolutely playing right into Epic's hands holy crap. Revoking the Mac dev accounts and tools is a very nuclear option that only strengthens Epic's case against Apple with regards to monopolistic practices as well as the whole "no freedom for developers due to Apple's rules" part of the case as well