• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://nypost.com/2018/10/08/leaked-apple-memo-reveals-secret-built-in-kill-switch/

The memo was sent to Apple stores and authorized service providers outlining security features of Apple's new T2 chip which appears in the latest iMac Pro and 2018 models of the MacBook Pro.

It revealed that certain repairs would require Apple's proprietary software used by Genius workers in Apple stores and authorized repairers to be completed. Failure to run Apple diagnostics after certain parts are replaced in T2-equipped Macs and notebooks "will result in an inoperative system and an incomplete repair," the memo said.

According to the memo, the restrictions will apply to repairs that involve replacing a MacBook Pro's display assembly, logic board, the keyboard and touchpad and the Touch ID board. On iMac Pros, it will kick in if the Logic Board or flash storage are replaced.

Despite the wording of the internal memo, the iFixit team was able to replace the display and logic board of a MacBook Pro without any issues.

"That's a promising sign, and it means the sky isn't quite falling — yet. But as we've learned, nothing is certain," iFixit said in a blog post about the teardown.

The situation described in the Apple memo has been referred to by critics as a type of "kill switch" that could render devices useless unless taken to an Apple store.

If Apple chooses to, the latest repair requirement could mean customers have little choice about how they fix their devices.

"Basically it means Apple owns your device, not you, and could conceivably disable it remotely if they detect unauthorized repairs going on," iFixit said.

More and more buying a device means you own the right to use the device, not the actual device itself.

lmx

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2018
This kind of anti-consumer bullshit makes my blood boil.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Reason #1263 I don't use apple laptops

If you pay $2000+ for a Mac, why would you go to a random shop with no official training or parts to fix it? The new Macs are not even repair friendly, making it harder to justify going to another source. It is bullshit in general because repairs out of warranty are expensive as fuck with these changes, but I would not go to a random person to fix my expensive purchase.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yeah we had this thread, but when phrased this way it highlights how unethical it is. Imagine if Toyota did this.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
oh jeez... I gotta keep my 2012 baby alive. Its a jewel.

last model that let you switch the HDD and RAM

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
If you pay $2000+ for a Mac, why would you go to a random shop with no official training or parts to fix it? The new Macs are not even repair friendly, making it harder to justify going to another source. It is bullshit in general because repairs out of warranty are expensive as fuck with these changes, but I would not go to a random person to fix my expensive purchase.

They're not random people. They're often third party shops who have off the shelf parts and are capable of these repairs.

A laptop isn't made of magic.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should have the right to repair your own stuff. If you break your joycon joystick like I did I can go buy a new one on eBay and fix it myself $5. But if they were like Apple I would have to take it into them, meaning I don't actually own my own hardware as they can disable at will until I bring it in

If you don't see that as wrong then I can't help you. That is a very distinct line in pro consumerism and pro corporatism.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, dude, my brother replaced the screen on his mac book pro on his own, this thing would nuke that if they wanted. You don't need some magical training to work on Macs. Parts are easily sourced. It's not even random person, I mean this can lock out a lot of legit repair shops, but even more so it prevents you from doing the repair if you want, which is bs, and I was pretty sure against the law now.

Dec 1, 2017
I think it's funny how Apple has some of the most anti-consumer policies out there and people still get so excited and Vaseline up.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
So Apple gonna charge damn near same price as the laptop to repair shit?

Not feeling being beholden to Apple pricing for repairs AT ALL

signal

Oct 28, 2017
If you're going to bring up "right to repair" at least don't be dumb enough to frame it as an Apple only issue. As if ifixit or whomever aren't also giving the Surface a 0/10 repairability score.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're going to bring up "right to repair" at least don't be dumb enough to frame it as an Apple only issue. As if ifixit or whomever aren't also giving the Surface a 0/10 repairability score.
Do they have a literal Killswitch on the surfaces?

Hey you guys might wanna check that link signal posted.

You can still repair these Macs.

My own article says as such, but the capacity is here and Apple has shown they are antagonistic towards consumers right to repair already.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia

I'd say it's as much the principle of the thing as anything else. Nobody likes to be told what they're allowed to do with a device they've bought, and they certainly don't like to learn that the thing is fitted with a kill switch.

It's just another example of Apple attempting to trap people in their (expensive) ecosystem.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017

Do people have to include all examples of all hard to repair devices so Apple fans don't have an attack of whataboutism everytime this subject comes up?

Apple is notorious for it across a line of products and they are ramping up these policies with even more anti-consumer BS, but by all means lets make sure we aren't unfairly maligning them because Microsoft made something hard to repair too.

Status
Not open for further replies.