• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Anthlenv

Oct 27, 2017
I'm at the tail end of a 8 month process for a supervisor spot at my current job. We have done 5 test, and interviews. Was 28 of us... then 20... then 8. Now we wait. It's driving me crazy not knowing lol.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, because if I present some crypto currency the bank will give me the mortgage I'm seeking.... not.

And an 8 month process?! Holy hell, I'm at the end of a 4 month process and I was thinking that it was excessive.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Sounds easy enough. I will get right on it. I will go tell my boss to go fuck himself, even though he's a great boss. YOLO.

Mah man!

giphy.gif

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Yeah, because if I present some crypto currency the bank will give me the mortgage I'm seeking.... not.

And an 8 month process?! Holy hell, I'm at the end of a 4 month process and I was thinking that it was excessive.
You don't need mortgage with crypto. You just make a million in a week, then buy the house cash. And a Lambo to decorate the garage, even if you don't drive.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn I just got a call from an 800 number I didn't pick it up but it was a recruiter calling me from a job I applied to!

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking for work for 3 months now and It's torture. I've had 2 interviews that went all the way to the end-only to be told it came down to one other person and I-and they went with the other person.

Then last month I was speaking to a company-I spoke to the hiring manager and also another person in the department. They replied that they liked me and wanted to move on with me coming in to the office for an interview. They asked me to provide some times to come in-I provided those and then all of a sudden, radio silence. That was 12/19. I've responded back to them asking if I should provide some updated dates. Nothing-they just completely dropped communication with me altogether.

It's dehumanizing.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Just heard back from the investment bank, where I was in the final list of candidates, and I didn't make it.
I have two more interviews for other companies next week, I hope I make it in one of them.

I'm sick of going to interviews and answering the same stuff again and again.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Why not a more optimistic title? We don't have copy everything from GAF word for word lol.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking for work for 3 months now and It's torture. I've had 2 interviews that went all the way to the end-only to be told it came down to one other person and I-and they went with the other person.

Then last month I was speaking to a company-I spoke to the hiring manager and also another person in the department. They replied that they liked me and wanted to move on with me coming in to the office for an interview. They asked me to provide some times to come in-I provided those and then all of a sudden, radio silence. That was 12/19. I've responded back to them asking if I should provide some updated dates. Nothing-they just completely dropped communication with me altogether.

It's dehumanizing.

Sounds a lot like my experience.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been looking for a job for months now, not having money is awful enough... but then you add the pressure from your family members thinking that you're a lazy bum and well... being w/o a job becomes horridly worse, makes my constant depression even stronger.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for jobs is the least optimistic thing ever. Having to put yourself in show like a pony that is on sale is annoying and a bit denigrating.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
I fucking hate that I'm looking again. This shit is a damn rerun. I wondering if I can use the money I've saved up to start my own business.

Oct 25, 2017
Well just had another company pass on me. Going to be almost a year since I was last working.
Evenings are the worst part, after 6pm I start getting stressed, and depressed that I don't have a job. Falling asleep is difficult too, laying there at night thinking about all the jobs I've applied at, the companies that have passed on me, and over analyzing every interview.
I have a phone call for another company tomorrow, hopefully that goes well :)

Gorillaz

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man I definitely remember reading this one ALOT a few years back fresh out of school to hear how everyone else usually got by. Did it off and on for a year or 2 actually. Alot of good advice and gems were dropped

Oct 30, 2017
NJ
Flying out for my very first final interview next week. Wish me luck! It's been 7 months of searching and I am very exhausted.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
Apparently I applied for an account executive job at Yelp because I got an email requesting to set up an interview. I vaguely know about Yelp. I think I hear them in passing about restaurant reviews and shit. This account executive sounds like a fancy title, but I think all it really means is some of sales position. Looking here it sounds like cold-calling might be involved. I hate that shit, but I don't have a choice right now. They said they want to interview me over the phone at their New York office. I hope the position isn't in New York because I feel that this position probably doesn't pay enough to live there and it's probably commission based too.

isual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently I applied for an account executive job at Yelp because I got an email requesting to set up an interview. I vaguely know about Yelp. I think I hear them in passing about restaurant reviews and shit. This account executive sounds like a fancy title, but I think all it really means is some of sales position. Looking here it sounds like cold-calling might be involved. I hate that shit, but I don't have a choice right now. They said they want to interview me over the phone at their New York office. I hope the position isn't in New York because I feel that this position probably doesn't pay enough to live there and it's probably commission based too.

if it's anything like in san francisco's HQ, its really you making cold calls. i'm telling you this right now, they want people with that 'upbeat, always smiling personality' type. if that's not you, then they probably do not want you.
i know one girl who did it, but she already was outgoing and liked to talk. again, if you're an introvert and are a lone wolf - its not for you.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
Maybe I can fake it though. I'm like that only when I'm feeling happy or see someone with some nice natural hair. I don't have options right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Had a phone interview this morning, I think it went well, and now I wait on the next steps.
Also had a friend tell me about a contract position at a studio I use to work for. Applied for it yesterday, got an email today that they want me to come in tomorrow for interview. I think they are expediting the interview process because I worked with them before and I know the two guys I'll be speaking too.
Hope it goes well, I've been too stressed, and depressed lately.

isual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had a phone interview this morning, I think it went well, and now I wait on the next steps.
Also had a friend tell me about a contract position at a studio I use to work for. Applied for it yesterday, got an email today that they want me to come in tomorrow for interview. I think they are expediting the interview process because I worked with them before and I know the two guys I'll be speaking too.
Hope it goes well, I've been too stressed, and depressed lately.

be positive. show you want that contract job. i'm sure they want you, its just if you want it. sleep right, eat right, take a dump before to clear any anxiety, and you will be good.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a Jr. Network Engineer job interview next week. I don't expect much to come out of it, but at least it's something after acquiring the CCNA. Worst case scenario, I can get some interviewing practice.

Oct 25, 2017
be positive. show you want that contract job. i'm sure they want you, its just if you want it. sleep right, eat right, take a dump before to clear any anxiety, and you will be good.
Thanks and I think it went well :D
The position sounds perfect for my skills, it is contract for 9 months but they know my experience and skills so I could be extended. They asked me when I could start, then after that ever response was "once you start...". They do have one more candidate to go through but fingers crossed I'll hear back early next week.

isual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this is not a rant, but more of an ask into a master's degree.

frankly, i just want a masters. i want one because 1. its a personal achievement and 2. i just want the paper so that it could potentially give me a better job.

i think that time has not been good to me, and i am in kind of a limbo since the first class starts in august of this year. i feel that there's so much time being wasted (potentially) until then. i need to do something other than work and vidya.

Deleted member 17347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok. Applied for a job before Christmas. It was referred to me by a friend who already works at this department. I had a first interview with the manager, and a second interview with two (potential future) collegues. I now have an invitation for a third meeting this Friday. The invitation just says "follow-up".

I'm guessing that I've probably got it, and they now want to discuss details. But part of me is still insecure and wondering if the manager just prefers delivering bad news in person instead of calling.

IPSF

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck!

Got accepted for my dream job just before Xmas, now they've said they don't want me until Sept 18 :(

Now Im in a job I hate for another 9 months. Seriously thinking about becoming one of those shitty lazy IT contractors you hear about on a fat daily wedge.

IPSF

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok. Applied for a job before Christmas. It was referred to me by a friend who already works at this department. I had a first interview with the manager, and a second interview with two (potential future) collegues. I now have an invitation for a third meeting this Friday. The invitation just says "follow-up".

I'm guessing that I've probably got it, and they now want to discuss details. But part of me is still insecure and wondering if the manager just prefers delivering bad news in person instead of calling.

No one does that dude. You've got to have it IMO.

I had a similar thing, got an email saying "can I have your number so I can give you feedback from your interview?" I was convinced I hadn't got it, then first thing they said was "we want to offer you a position"!

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
No one does that dude. You've got to have it IMO.

I had a similar thing, got an email saying "can I have your number so I can give you feedback from your interview?" I was convinced I hadn't got it, then first thing they said was "we want to offer you a position"!
Eh, some companies will reject you over the phone. Google certainly does this if you manage to get to the final round. Generally they do this to tell you how to reapply in the future and offer extremely vague feedback.
Source: I got rejected by Google after the final round

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
My contract ends in February, but the new prime picked me up with a nice salary increase that I just started yesterday. I would have loved sticking with my other company, but their redeployment efforts were shoddy, and they didn't have many available job in the area while I was looking for the past few months.

Assuming I pass my CCNA, I plan to polish off my resume and start sending it out there. It's been almost two years at my current job. I love my boss and I have pretty good benefits, but the salary is a little low and I want to move up from help desk to systems or network admin. I am hoping that the fact that I like my current job will give me the upper hand in interviews. I am so used to being nervous and desperate usually.

What realm of sys admin if you go that route? Windows, Linux, both? Get familiar with virtualization, maybe cloud tech, but definitely learn to script and automate as it will be incredibly helpful.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Pretty much.

I just moved to the Minneapolis area to go to school, and I can't land a job. I worked for a TPR (Third Party Retailer) T-Mobile store and there's a corporate store hiring, but I'm not eligible to work at corporate store because I worked at a TPR store, even though I'm qualified, won't need to be trained and have everything required to do the job.

It's bullshit.

gaiages

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Bleh, no callbacks from any of my latest interviews. I even had an interviewer say that I'd be "a great fit" for the position and that they're really in need of someone with my skillset to fill in gaps on their team. Why you gotta get my hopes up man!?

I'm also getting a bit more thankful of the places that reject my application flat out after only a few hours of applying. It's not a great feeling, but at least I'm not sitting around hoping for an interview or whatever.

I took a break from applying to everything left and right because the holidays exhausted me, but it's back to the grind this week, I guess.

Why not a more optimistic title? We don't have copy everything from GAF word for word lol.

Bruh the only thing even remotely optimistic about my job search is that I have a job already, so I'm not going to become destitute if I don't have a job by x time. It's sad, but that title is completely accurate.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Boyos, where do you put the resume in your linked in profile page? Also for your portfolio, can you only add portfolio pieces on specific jobs instead of having the entire portfolio (I'm a designer, so these are important)

Oct 25, 2017
I got my BA in December and I've been applying for jobs since late October. I got 3-4 interviews and 3-4 outright declines. The rest haven't responded. The last job I applied for went really well. I got up to the face to face interview and they said I basically nailed the interview, but I didn't have enough experience so they stopped moving forward with me. You know, they could have just said that from the start lol.

Ah well, I'll just keep on keeping on.

Good luck to all of you.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just throw out what worked for me-
If you have a degree of any type, look for a job at a College/University. Colleges have hundreds/thousands of employees depending on the size, and most of them aren't teachers. They need IT people, they need manual labor, they need office people, they need people good with money, they need project coordinators/teams, they need secreteries- odds are, there is something that you can do that they need. And no matter where in the country you live, you are going to have at least 3 or 4 different colleges within easy driving distance, and possibly a lot more depending on where you live They also offer good benefits (especially if it's a State School- you are a state employee), good PTO/Sick Leave, and all schools offer at least greatly reduced (many free) college classes, so if you want to work on a Masters part time or just want to learn some new stuff, it's something you can do. No one gets rich working at a college, but you do make a comfortable living.

HigherEdJobs is the best website for finding any sort of job at a college, as basically every university posts there, and they have a great and free Job Agent utility that takes like 5 minutes to set up, and then sends you an e-mail each morning with all the previous day's jobs you specify. I was getting 20-50 jobs in each email, and there were usually 5-6 good ones for me in each e-mail.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Thinking about applying for jobs in a much cheaper city to buy a house in. Any advice on how about I do it?

I'm around an 8 hour drive away from where I want to move, so driving for interviews is a real problem.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I have another interview today, I hope it works out because besides this the interview yesterday, I haven't been called by more companies and I'm a bit desperate now.
Not having a salary is not fun.

Plus, they told me in the Phone interview I would be a great fit, so lets hope I nail it.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had a Jr. Network Engineer interview today for a Web Hosting Company. I thought I did okay at times, but froze up and stumbled on others. I was told that I did well and that I impressed the person that I would be reporting to. I was told I would hear something by Friday. If nothing else, I got some job interviewing practice after two years.

isual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck!

Got accepted for my dream job just before Xmas, now they've said they don't want me until Sept 18 :(

Now Im in a job I hate for another 9 months. Seriously thinking about becoming one of those shitty lazy IT contractors you hear about on a fat daily wedge.

think of it like this. at least you have a job till. its 9 months of torture, but 9 months of income coming in still. devil's advocate in me is that you should also look for jobs as well in those 9 months - you never know if that company will gimp you in the 7th 8th or 9th month.

I'll just throw out what worked for me-
If you have a degree of any type, look for a job at a College/University. Colleges have hundreds/thousands of employees depending on the size, and most of them aren't teachers. They need IT people, they need manual labor, they need office people, they need people good with money, they need project coordinators/teams, they need secreteries- odds are, there is something that you can do that they need. And no matter where in the country you live, you are going to have at least 3 or 4 different colleges within easy driving distance, and possibly a lot more depending on where you live They also offer good benefits (especially if it's a State School- you are a state employee), good PTO/Sick Leave, and all schools offer at least greatly reduced (many free) college classes, so if you want to work on a Masters part time or just want to learn some new stuff, it's something you can do. No one gets rich working at a college, but you do make a comfortable living.

HigherEdJobs is the best website for finding any sort of job at a college, as basically every university posts there, and they have a great and free Job Agent utility that takes like 5 minutes to set up, and then sends you an e-mail each morning with all the previous day's jobs you specify. I was getting 20-50 jobs in each email, and there were usually 5-6 good ones for me in each e-mail.

i did that, but pay was very low. at least it gave me some work experience and padding for my resume.
I got my BA in December and I've been applying for jobs since late October. I got 3-4 interviews and 3-4 outright declines. The rest haven't responded. The last job I applied for went really well. I got up to the face to face interview and they said I basically nailed the interview, but I didn't have enough experience so they stopped moving forward with me. You know, they could have just said that from the start lol.

Ah well, I'll just keep on keeping on.

Good luck to all of you.

at leaset you are looking for a job. i took 1 month off after graduating in dec 13' (jan 14' to feb 14'), but i still feel that time was wasted. i just played vidya and watched anime, but i found a job around...march 14'. look up indeed and take on contract jobs with IT or tech companies. lots of them out there for new grads.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
Found out my business unit is closing down, got at least two, maybe four months left. Had a recruiter reach out while on the conf call, although will probably have to move across the country and take a pay-cut for a new job. Almost tempted to consider changing fields, back to something simpler.

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
I have a phone interview in 10 minutes and even though I've done this a couple of times, that ever present last-minute anxiety is something I would be very happy to never experience again. Oh well

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I had an interview yesterday-This is my 4th in the past 4 months. I'm just so tired of spending hours in "interview" mode. It's draining.

My wife told me yesterday she would rather I just take a job as an Uber/Lyft driver so I could make my own hours and be able to pick up our kid from school/take her to lessons, etc.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What realm of sys admin if you go that route? Windows, Linux, both? Get familiar with virtualization, maybe cloud tech, but definitely learn to script and automate as it will be incredibly helpful.
Probably Windows. I know that Linux Admins are a highly sought after niche, that can be well paying, but there are more Microsoft market share. I definitely need to learn scripting. My system admins are pretty decent. I know the importance. Virtualization is also on the radar after I get CCNP R and S and MCSE.

Oct 25, 2017
at leaset you are looking for a job. i took 1 month off after graduating in dec 13' (jan 14' to feb 14'), but i still feel that time was wasted. i just played vidya and watched anime, but i found a job around...march 14'. look up indeed and take on contract jobs with IT or tech companies. lots of them out there for new grads.
Will give it a whirl! Thanks!

I have a phone interview in 10 minutes and even though I've done this a couple of times, that ever present last-minute anxiety is something I would be very happy to never experience again. Oh well
I know that feeling lol. You know you got it, but the anxiety and doubt creeps in for just a bit until the call starts.

How'd it go?

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Hi y'all. Having a bit of an issue and hoping this thread can help.

I'm a full-time student in a master's program. This limits my availability as I not only need time off for class but also to study/read. 20-25 hours/week would be perfect. I'd really like to avoid retail as I have severe anxiety. Clerical work would be ideal.

Can my college's career center help me in looking for part-time jobs? Until recently I was under the impression that they only assisted in helping look for more permanent work.