• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
I know that feeling lol. You know you got it, but the anxiety and doubt creeps in for just a bit until the call starts.
How'd it go?

Not great, but it's all on me since I didn't really prepare at all. I took the interview because I wanted the practice. Now I realize I should have prepared better since it wasn't very hard at all. Oh well.

Merriweather

Oct 29, 2017
I'm planning to move to central Ohio because my wife wants to be closer to her ailing parents and it's a way to pay for my step-son's trade school tuition. It will have some benefits, mainly a rent/mortgage free place to live and a lower cost of living. Of course, the pressure is all on me to find a decent job that will pay me at least as much as I'm making now, plus benefits. The area we're going to move to is not exactly a hotbed for graphic design jobs, so trying to land a job from 400 miles away is going to be incredibly fun.

Oct 25, 2017
Hi y'all. Having a bit of an issue and hoping this thread can help.

I'm a full-time student in a master's program. This limits my availability as I not only need time off for class but also to study/read. 20-25 hours/week would be perfect. I'd really like to avoid retail as I have severe anxiety. Clerical work would be ideal.

Can my college's career center help me in looking for part-time jobs? Until recently I was under the impression that they only assisted in helping look for more permanent work.
That is how I got my job through undergrad. I went to my school's career center and they had a program specifically for students trying to find work. They gave me an office/clerical job on campus. It was part-time and I had complete control over my schedule.

Things will obviously vary, but I would definitely recommend giving it a shot. You never know what you will be able to get out of it. Even if you don't walk away with a job, there may be reliable resources and contacts for you.

Good luck!

Not great, but it's all on me since I didn't really prepare at all. I took the interview because I wanted the practice. Now I realize I should have prepared better since it wasn't very hard at all. Oh well.
Yeah, fortunately, I got that prepare tip before my first ever interview. Sure enough, they asked questions I wouldn't have been ready for otherwise.

You'll get the next one!

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
That is how I got my job through undergrad. I went to my school's career center and they had a program specifically for students trying to find work. They gave me an office/clerical job on campus. It was part-time and I had complete control over my schedule.

Things will obviously vary, but I would definitely recommend giving it a shot. You never know what you will be able to get out of it. Even if you don't walk away with a job, there may be reliable resources and contacts for you.

Good luck!

I plan on hitting them up next week. Thanks for the advice.

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
I've been thinking for a while now about looking for a new job since I'm unhappy with my current but man having to go through everything again depresses me

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Will throw my hat in. Trying to move into Tokyo while also trying to change careers and I only have until the end of March.

I have another interview today. I don't like preparing too much because if something goes south I tend to panic more. So I've just started making notes about what I want to say

scriptgiant

Nov 24, 2017
Los Angeles
Hey guys. Saw this thread and I can relate a lot. I struggled for years to find any internship/job. It was depressing and draining to send application after application with no end in sight. Now in my senior year I am finally seeing a response (sorry if this sounds like an infomercial).
A few things that helped me get noticed was a nice and professional resume template I bought online. I made business cards too. I've also tried very hard to expand my social network in the last few years.
Places like meetup.com, going to cons, participating in a social hobby will expose you to new people that might be able to find that next job.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I have an interview scheduled for next month, I'm pretty hopeful and excited about it. I applied last August, so it has been a long time coming.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I haven't had a job since 2014. What do I do when they ask me what have I done the last 3 years? Answer is not much.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had a job since 2014. What do I do when they ask me what have I done the last 3 years? Answer is not much.
My last interviewer asked me about the stretch I had between graduating high school and my last job. It was a 2 year gap, and I just told him that I was trying to find myself and I managed to do so through my passion for creative writing. I linked that up to the job I was interviewing for, and I told him it would be a good continuation from my previous job and my proclivity toward creativity.

Just basically got to make yourself seem productive during the gap and connect it back to the job you're interviewing for.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
My last interviewer asked me about the stretch I had between graduating high school and my last job. It was a 2 year gap, and I just told him that I was trying to find myself and I managed to do so through my passion for creative writing. I linked that up to the job I was interviewing for, and I told him it would be a good continuation from my previous job and my proclivity toward creativity.

Just basically got to make yourself seem productive during the gap and connect it back to the job you're interviewing for.

Problem is I'm 32, I haven't been employed since I was 28. I haven't had to work but now looking for a job again is tough with that gap. I can't say I went to school because I'm done with that, and I don't really do any work on the side for anything.

Oct 25, 2017
Problem is I'm 32, I haven't been employed since I was 28. I haven't had to work but now looking for a job again is tough with that gap. I can't say I went to school because I'm done with that, and I don't really do any work on the side for anything.
Sure, but it doesn't have to be school or work. It can be anything that shows you're productive, active, responsible, etc... Anything that puts your positive traits on display and how they could work well for the job you're going for.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Just tell them you went travelling. Pick an unpopular part if the world so they dont ask follow up questions.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I was thinking of lying and saying I had to take care of the kids...but I have no kids. I'm not even married! LOL.

Thisman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone in Harrisburg, pa area want a job. Needs to apply. I will refer and good luck from there on

isual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
in regards to lying. who cares. its a job; at the end of the day, if you lie, you may get the job, but if you don't lie, you'll probably not get the job.

world ain't fair. why be fair to the world.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I WANT OFF THIS TRAIN.

So I had several interviews with a major software company. 2 interviews on the phone, and two hour-long panel interviews (panel, and technical assessment). They really seemed to like me, they gave me tours of the entire building, gave me coffee, showed me the area I'd be working, etc. Then they said they'd have a few more interviews to conduct with other people before they reach a final decision. Last week they said I'd hear by Friday. Friday comes and they let me know they didn't have a decision yet, fine. They'll check in on Monday. So this Monday I get another email saying they still haven't reached a final decision yet, they're still interviewing. Now I'm waiting for the update this Friday.

I can't take this mental torture. I've been applying to other places, and trying to take my mind off it but the wait is starting to eat at me. I'm told they're either looking for better candidates, or that they just are obligated to hear out the other applicants even though they've made up their mind. If they didn't like me they would've said no.

I had a major cancer battle that put me out for a rather long time, and I had to find a way to cover up my medical gap. I know it sounds like B.S but put freelance work related to your field in the space. They'll be more curious about the kind of work done rather than the gap of time. Just something.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Employed, but its the lowest possible rung of a retail giant.

I will absolutely look through all the thread whenever it comes up. Valuable resources in here.

Oct 26, 2017
Hey all. Had been an occasional participant in the old thread, wanted to pop in to offer encouragement. Happy and relieved to say I finally landed a full time position after a year and a half of applications, rejections, raised/dashed hopes and all that. I had some business freelancing to hold me over but was still a tough time mentally/emotionally.

As someone who felt their gap in employment was a bit larger than the average on the old thread, I wanted to say to anyone who's in a similar boat (or anyone generally discouraged) to hang in there. I absolutely felt like it was never going to end until it did. Also take breaks when you need to and discard any self consciousness or guilt over not actively searching every minute of every day.

Wishing all the best.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I had my interview on Tuesday and they said they would be in touch with me within 48 hours. Well it's past that now and no communication. I just feel depressed and rejected at this point. Maybe Uber and Lyft isn't such a bad idea.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
About 98% sure I'll be in this job hunting boat again soon. Supervisor told me they probably will not re-contract me for a 4th year. I'm pretty scared to start job hunting again but I also added so many random factors to it by taking my current job in the first place. Expect me here asking a ton of stupid questions like writing a resume and what not soon.

Always assumed my time in Japan would only be one year but now I've been here three and have so many things to think about.

Try to find a new job/attend career fairs/beg friends for a job/visa and stay in Japan longer ASAP. Bigger problem being my language ability is still only -ok- and the next round of certification tests on language ability are well into fucking summer! which makes me less confident given that I watched friends who have perfect fluency really have to work at getting a new job here.

Do what my parents ask every year and come home to middle of nowhere Georgia... I love them to bits but the whole reason I left was the lack of real opportunity, and now that I'm turning 30 this year I can't just go back to a town made for retiree's and not younger people looking for real work that is non manual labor industry.

Also the lady friend who I admittedly became fairly fond of. She says she wants me to stay at least in the country...

This whole thing got way to complicated for me and its only the second fucking week of 2018 -sigh-

Deleted member 17347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok. Applied for a job before Christmas. It was referred to me by a friend who already works at this department. I had a first interview with the manager, and a second interview with two (potential future) collegues. I now have an invitation for a third meeting this Friday. The invitation just says "follow-up".

I'm guessing that I've probably got it, and they now want to discuss details. But part of me is still insecure and wondering if the manager just prefers delivering bad news in person instead of calling.
Got the job.

isual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About 98% sure I'll be in this job hunting boat again soon. Supervisor told me they probably will not re-contract me for a 4th year. I'm pretty scared to start job hunting again but I also added so many random factors to it by taking my current job in the first place. Expect me here asking a ton of stupid questions like writing a resume and what not soon.

Always assumed my time in Japan would only be one year but now I've been here three and have so many things to think about.

Try to find a new job/attend career fairs/beg friends for a job/visa and stay in Japan longer ASAP. Bigger problem being my language ability is still only -ok- and the next round of certification tests on language ability are well into fucking summer! which makes me less confident given that I watched friends who have perfect fluency really have to work at getting a new job here.

Do what my parents ask every year and come home to middle of nowhere Georgia... I love them to bits but the whole reason I left was the lack of real opportunity, and now that I'm turning 30 this year I can't just go back to a town made for retiree's and not younger people looking for real work that is non manual labor industry.

Also the lady friend who I admittedly became fairly fond of. She says she wants me to stay at least in the country...

This whole thing got way to complicated for me and its only the second fucking week of 2018 -sigh-

hmmm. objectively, you gotta do what's best for you. from my standpoint, and you just said, only way to stay in JPN is if you can find a company that can sponsor you, that's 1. 2 would be you go back to georgia and get a job there (i kind of heard its booming a fraction of a bit in the tech sector). 3 if she's a JPN citizen, marry her, get that citizenship.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats! Ypu finally get out of this cycle.

I didn't get the trainee job at the investment bank but they called saying they had an Opening in the commercial area. I decided to participate in the process, even though it isn't the area I would like... It is better than nothing and the company is good.

Of course, the job where I had the interview the other day is what I'm most interested.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
KILLLLLLL MEEEEE
My current job has been having some overall cashflow issues (my department is entirely grant-funded, but even still, there is a freeze on all spending and we need to make payments on things), so I've been slowly looking at jobs each night. Found one last night, applied, and this morning, my boss called me into her office and said that she recieved a reference check for that job this morning, and while she was supportive of my decision to find a new job in light of this, she wanted to know how far along the process I was and how many more weeks she thought I would be here.

WHY WOULD YOU SEND A REFERENCE CHECK BEFORE EVEN CONTACTING ME FOR A PHONE INTERVIEW.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
KILLLLLLL MEEEEE
My current job has been having some overall cashflow issues (my department is entirely grant-funded, but even still, there is a freeze on all spending and we need to make payments on things), so I've been slowly looking at jobs each night. Found one last night, applied, and this morning, my boss called me into her office and said that she recieved a reference check for that job this morning, and while she was supportive of my decision to find a new job in light of this, she wanted to know how far along the process I was and how many more weeks she thought I would be here.

WHY WOULD YOU SEND A REFERENCE CHECK BEFORE EVEN CONTACTING ME FOR A PHONE INTERVIEW.
My friend works in HR and suggested to NOT put your reference on the resume. If they want your reference they can ask you for it once you've had the interview :)

Oct 27, 2017
Going to be in this thread heavy in about 4 months. Looking to take my accounting talents from Chicago to my home state of Indiana. I hate the drive, 90+ minutes one way but I wanted to build up my name and portfolio so that when I come back to Indiana, My salary history and credentials would shine through.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
My friend works in HR and suggested to NOT put your reference on the resume. If they want your reference they can ask you for it once you've had the interview :)

This wasn't on the resume, They wanted a Resume, Cover Letter, and 3 references after filling out the online application
It's something I've seen a billion times, but I've never had a reference contacted without prior notice at any job I've ever been at/applied to before

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Well I got a response back from my interview. Same response I always get-my background and experience were impressive but they went with another candidate.

Monumentally depressing. I give up.

Oct 25, 2017
Well I got a response back from my interview. Same response I always get-my background and experience were impressive but they went with another candidate.

Monumentally depressing. I give up.
That is the part that gets at my confidence sometimes. No matter how well I do, their is always someone with more experience, better background, etc... and that is something completely out of my control.

We can't give up though. The day will come.

Watercolour

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has also gone through the thrills and misery of the job hunt, I can only emphasize that you need to remain hopeful and confident despite circumstances. I've worked my fair share of jobs with no future prospects, but I've always viewed them as opportunities and stepping stones.

Just keep applying, be confident in yourself, know your person and the organization, and don't take it personally if you're no longer being considered. One of worst experiences with disappointment was failing to pass the interview stage for a desirable job twice!

As a buddy of mine once said, "it's their loss", if they don't hire you.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
hmmm. objectively, you gotta do what's best for you. from my standpoint, and you just said, only way to stay in JPN is if you can find a company that can sponsor you, that's 1. 2 would be you go back to georgia and get a job there (i kind of heard its booming a fraction of a bit in the tech sector). 3 if she's a JPN citizen, marry her, get that citizenship.

Yeah its just a whole lot of factors to think and talk about with friends and family. Generally not good with choices haha so having some extremely different ones is tough. Definitely going to start by checking out the job fairs in Tokyo in a few weeks.

Other issue is hiring season in Japan is pretty much contained to late March to early April when all the fresh college kids graduate. So its the best time to look but worst time to look for a new one while under contract for another. If some miracle happens, breaking contract is never a good look.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone ever, from start to finish, applied for a job online and finished the entire process over Skype/phone and received an offer?

I'm on exchange right now and looking to see if I can land a full-time job offer in my home country without a single in-person interview.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone ever, from start to finish, applied for a job online and finished the entire process over Skype/phone and received an offer?

I'm on exchange right now and looking to see if I can land a full-time job offer in my home country without a single in-person interview.
We recently hired two people like this. I can ask them about their experiences if you'd like? But can also speak to it from the other end.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I'm going to a job placement place to get me evaluated for a job. I just hope they don't give me a shit job if I qualify.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really kind of suck at interviews. Well, maybe not the interviews themselves, but my anxiety gets the best of me all the time. I get that horrible anticipation anxiety starting about a half an hour before I receive the call or start the Skype interview, and it always makes my head cloudy for the actual interview. I've blanked out before because of it for really easy behavioral question that I have plenty of examples to answer with.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We recently hired two people like this. I can ask them about their experiences if you'd like? But can also speak to it from the other end.

Sure, what was your experience like?

I imagine it's harder for recruiters to justify hiring candidates that they haven't met in person. Said candidate would have to be a lot more impressive, no?

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The company I interviewed for last week stated they would let me know on Friday. On Friday, I got an email stating that they enjoyed meeting me, but something came up on Friday so he will send the email he meant to on Monday. I would hope that means a second interview or something at least. If I had been eliminated, I would have thought he would have stated "We enjoyed meeting you, but we have decided to go in another direction" or something like that. I guess I will know tomorrow.