• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Hmm.

I'm gainfully employed and things are going well enough I suppose. I've only been here one year and I'm considering just passively applying for jobs I think are out of my reach because worst case I keep on working here and best case I end up with some amazing job. I think that will be my plan going forward.

Also, my commute is bullshit.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm.

I'm gainfully employed and things are going well enough I suppose. I've only been here one year and I'm considering just passively applying for jobs I think are out of my reach because worst case I keep on working here and best case I end up with some amazing job. I think that will be my plan going forward.

Also, my commute is bullshit.
It's better to look earlier than later, even when things are going well. At my current job, I gave the benefit of the doubt when the Jr. Systems admin left in April. Here I am in January and they hired someone on the outside. I became comfortable or trusting. Don't make the same mistake that I did. You gotta take care of yourself, because no one else will.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I have. As I later found out, what happened was that my boss at the time didn't approve of me leaving my then-current position and locked me out of all internal movement. When I found out, I just left the whole company after that.

So, at least in my experience, sometimes it's actually harder to move internally than to just go elsewhere. You will likely get a larger salary increase than 20% that way, too.

I found out last week that this is exactly what happened. My manager didn't want me to move to another position in the company which is the reason I didn't even get invited for a job interview. She doesn't know that I know. I heard it from someone else.

I immediately thought about your post when I found out so I wasn't really surprised anymore as it seems to be quite common.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
It's better to look earlier than later, even when things are going well. At my current job, I gave the benefit of the doubt when the Jr. Systems admin left in April. Here I am in January and they hired someone on the outside. I became comfortable or trusting. Don't make the same mistake that I did. You gotta take care of yourself, because no one else will.

True facts.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I found out last week that this is exactly what happened. My manager didn't want me to move to another position in the company which is the reason I didn't even get invited for a job interview. She doesn't know that I know. I heard it from someone else.

I immediately thought about your post when I found out so I wasn't really surprised anymore as it seems to be quite common.
Time to bounce.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I've had instances where I never got an interview, or got a courtesy interview for internal postings. It sucks.

A lot of the time they have identified a candidate they want. Managers are not allowed to block anyone in our company outside of some small exceptions. Managers aren't even notified when one of their employees applies for a job and it is up to us to let them know when we have an interview.

This is going to be long, thank you to any one who reads it and replies, I appreciate it.

I currently have two applications through an internal recruiter with my Alma Mater's Health Care side. So it would be a state job in a state school medical center. I know these things can take a long time to get moving, but I am definitely qualified, recruiter said she wouldn't forward my application if I wasn't, and I fit the state pay scale for the jobs. They are each within the same team and one is a more senior position. Recruiter said I should apply for both.

On top of that I have an informal meeting set up for next week to discuss career opportunities with another large coloration in my home town. Nothing concrete there but the person is a higher level manager and would be able to open doors.

Finally I have an internal application for a manager role in reporting. New position. Something I am uniquely qualified for and I think I would enjoy. It may set my relocation plans back a year or two, but it would be a great move up and if I ended up with reports that is good experience again. It has been over 6 years since I managed a team. However, and here is the caveat tied to the conversation about internal postings, I am going to talk to my immediate manager more about it, but he was already like, hey man is this going to be a quarterly thing with you now, ignoring that I have been on the team for 2 years now and this would only be the second application outside of the team. I applied for a job in the fall out of frustration more than anything and withdrew it.

He went on to say, "Maybe I don't understand how you were taught in this company, (note he has only been at my company 5 years vs my 16 years), but you may start to look like you are hopping around a bunch and not staying anywhere.", and I am kind of pissed at him. Because first our company allows you to apply for a job after 1 year as long as you have good appraisals. Second, I feel like he is giving me the old, you should stay and be loyal just because kind of shit. Even though I have been adamant I want more from this team and haven't really been given any indication it is happening. I was told I was potentially up for a small promotion this year, but nothing is guaranteed.

On top of that, the application I like working with and the team I want to build for it, doesn't seem to have the full support of the VP level. So what am I supposed to do? Sit around and hope shit gets better? Be happy I got a small promotion and like 6 -8% raise, versus going for a manager job doing a lot of the same kind of work but no longer in IT?

I read this today and it struck me.
Chaos isn't a ladder to climb. It's unwise to manage your career through the randomness of the universe, decisions made by other people, and org chart Brownian motion. Even when your manager, company, and peers have your best wishes in mind, you still must manage your own career with intent. Owning your career means have a picture in mind of what you want to do and proactively looking for opportunities which fill the canvas.

No opportunity will be perfect. This is the scary part — tradeoffs. There will always be new people to meet and skills to learn. You might need to give up mastery in a technology and become a student again. You may need to trade off pay for potential — everyone working at a startup implicitly makes that call. Your commute might suck. Your work life balance might suck. Maybe the workplace isn't as diverse as you'd want. Perhaps the Chief Architect doesn't agree with your tabs vs spaces world view. Maybe a million other things. But if you have a long-term career plan based on piecing together the right skills and experiences, it becomes easy to assess how any new role fits into the big picture.

Finally, comfort is a beautiful garden but careers won't grow there.

I don't think I am crazy to want to look in to opportunities, especially if they fulfill my ultimate career goals. I like data analysis and reporting, I like data science too, and I will always pursue and look in to roles that help me reach that goal. On that trip I want to lead a team or be a manager again, I liked developing employees. I have made this clear to my managers, and I don't think I need to "stick around and appreciate the stability" for fucking stability's sake.

I think a lot of the friction is coming from having a widely different worldview than my manager, we get a long, but I see things from a much different perspective.

I dunno, I appreciate any comments. Just want to feel like I am not acting in the wrong here.

Loomies

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else interviewed for the same job they're already doing? I don't know how to approach it. I been a contractor at this place for nearly 7 months and been doing an amazing job/teamplayer/etc since I got here. A position for the same job only comes once every 10+ years for the company and hoping that I don't screw it up. I'm positive that I'll just be talking to my current supervisors so I shouldn't freeze up too bad. I should just pretend like I don't know them when I go into it?

I think I did pretty good for what they wanted to hear for their boss. It's like a top 5 in the fortune 500 company so they ask questions in a certain format and they're behavior based questions. I knew ahead of time that it's an interview where you give answers and they're writing down your answers and making notes on their paper the whole time. I feel like the only way to do good in these kind of interviews is just have 10 stories memorized and perfected. I got the vibe that they're giving me the benefit of the doubt and let me slide on some of my answers. If I was just another candidate and they didn't know me, no way I would consider it a good interview. I will update in 2 weeks or so if I get the offer or not...not upset if I don't get it. That's life and it's their loss if they don't hire me

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I've had instances where I never got an interview, or got a courtesy interview for internal postings. It sucks.

A lot of the time they have identified a candidate they want. Managers are not allowed to block anyone in our company outside of some small exceptions. Managers aren't even notified when one of their employees applies for a job and it is up to us to let them know when we have an interview.

This is going to be long, thank you to any one who reads it and replies, I appreciate it.

I currently have two applications through an internal recruiter with my Alma Mater's Health Care side. So it would be a state job in a state school medical center. I know these things can take a long time to get moving, but I am definitely qualified, recruiter said she wouldn't forward my application if I wasn't, and I fit the state pay scale for the jobs. They are each within the same team and one is a more senior position. Recruiter said I should apply for both.

On top of that I have an informal meeting set up for next week to discuss career opportunities with another large coloration in my home town. Nothing concrete there but the person is a higher level manager and would be able to open doors.

Finally I have an internal application for a manager role in reporting. New position. Something I am uniquely qualified for and I think I would enjoy. It may set my relocation plans back a year or two, but it would be a great move up and if I ended up with reports that is good experience again. It has been over 6 years since I managed a team. However, and here is the caveat tied to the conversation about internal postings, I am going to talk to my immediate manager more about it, but he was already like, hey man is this going to be a quarterly thing with you now, ignoring that I have been on the team for 2 years now and this would only be the second application outside of the team. I applied for a job in the fall out of frustration more than anything and withdrew it.

He went on to say, "Maybe I don't understand how you were taught in this company, (note he has only been at my company 5 years vs my 16 years), but you may start to look like you are hopping around a bunch and not staying anywhere.", and I am kind of pissed at him. Because first our company allows you to apply for a job after 1 year as long as you have good appraisals. Second, I feel like he is giving me the old, you should stay and be loyal just because kind of shit. Even though I have been adamant I want more from this team and haven't really been given any indication it is happening. I was told I was potentially up for a small promotion this year, but nothing is guaranteed.

On top of that, the application I like working with and the team I want to build for it, doesn't seem to have the full support of the VP level. So what am I supposed to do? Sit around and hope shit gets better? Be happy I got a small promotion and like 6 -8% raise, versus going for a manager job doing a lot of the same kind of work but no longer in IT?

I read this today and it struck me.

I don't think I am crazy to want to look in to opportunities, especially if they fulfill my ultimate career goals. I like data analysis and reporting, I like data science too, and I will always pursue and look in to roles that help me reach that goal. On that trip I want to lead a team or be a manager again, I liked developing employees. I have made this clear to my managers, and I don't think I need to "stick around and appreciate the stability" for fucking stability's sake.

I think a lot of the friction is coming from having a widely different worldview than my manager, we get a long, but I see things from a much different perspective.

I dunno, I appreciate any comments. Just want to feel like I am not acting in the wrong here.

"Finally, comfort is a beautiful garden but careers won't grow there."

This is so true it's painful. I was really comfortable in my last job. Could get done what I needed with relative ease but never challenged myself; never really tried expanding my knowledgebase or skillset. I lost the job and found that to get into another role with a similar salary there were lots of things I didn't know at all so I couldn't even blag my way in. I've just got a new equivalent job after nearly a year of searching and I'm going to make sure I don't stagnate, I expand my horizons and I make myself invaluable, because I feel fortunate in that I like what I do.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In addition to the phone interview that I have tomorrow, I have a 90 minute interview next week for a SOC position. Baby Jesus help me. I have to get the fuck out of this current job. I am becoming dangerously disgruntled. I thought about handing in my badge today.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I once got an email direct from the CEO of a small games studio saying he loved my reel and couldn't wait to setup a time to have a chat.
I had been jobless for about 2 months, and with 2 kids under 4 I was pretty excited to have finally found something. I replied immediately and
then fastforward another week, no reply so I emailed again, no reply. Another 2 weeks later, no job on the horizon and no reply from what I thought was my only way out. I never did get a reply from him. I felt like I was back to square one.

2 more months after that and I landed my actual dream job. Working from home, paid more than my last job, all of that. And all of a sudden I had all these places I had applied to coming back to me and saying they had work now, or they wanted to setup an interview etc.

My point is, dont give up even when it seems really hopeless!

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phone interview done. Not a complete disaster. No bullshit cliched questions like "what is your biggest weakness?". We'll see if I pass this round. Now too drink vodka. FML. I hate my job. Kill me please. Really!!!!!!!!!

Clair Vaux Bernardus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Not sure if this is the right thread but does anyone have experience teaching English overseas? After 14 months I'm at the point where I'm ready to give up on the job search, at least in the U.S. Leaving the country seems to be the only way to atcually escape poverty. I've reached out on some other forums but I thought I'd try here as well. Would just like to hear peoples experiences and recommendations and advice on how to get started.

Last edited:

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Not sure if this is the right thread but does anyone have experience teaching English overseas? After 14 months I'm at the point where I'm ready to give up on the job search, at least in the U.S. Leaving the country seems to be the only way to atcually escape poverty. I've reached out on some other forums but I thought I'd try here as well. Would just like to hear peoples experiences and recommendations and advice on how to get started.
Hey there, I studied English in a school in Vancouver. Basically, most teachers had overseas experience (I don't think Canadian teachers would get a job in Canada without specific studies or previous overseas experience). There are two things you'll need: a bachelor's degree of some sort, the more related to English or teaching the better but it's not mandatory (many teachers studied art or drama, stuff like that). It does seem that if you eventually want to get promoted to anything other than teaching within the school, you then need to have studied English.
Second, you need an ESL certificate, which is not hard to get and can be done in any major city as far as I know, particularly those with lots of international students.

My advice? Reach out directly to a school and talk to them for advice and mentoring. St Giles, for instance, are great ones, and people are super nice. Feel free to PM me for specific names, I went to the one in Vancouver.

Now, once you have ESL and a degree, that's where my knowledge fades away, but they'll be able to help much better ^^

Clair Vaux Bernardus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Hey there, I studied English in a school in Vancouver. Basically, most teachers had overseas experience (I don't think Canadian teachers would get a job in Canada without specific studies or previous overseas experience). There are two things you'll need: a bachelor's degree of some sort, the more related to English or teaching the better but it's not mandatory (many teachers studied art or drama, stuff like that). It does seem that if you eventually want to get promoted to anything other than teaching within the school, you then need to have studied English.
Second, you need an ESL certificate, which is not hard to get and can be done in any major city as far as I know, particularly those with lots of international students.

My advice? Reach out directly to a school and talk to them for advice and mentoring. St Giles, for instance, are great ones, and people are super nice. Feel free to PM me for specific names, I went to the one in Vancouver.

Now, once you have ESL and a degree, that's where my knowledge fades away, but they'll be able to help much better ^^

I already have a degree so the next step would be getting a license. A lot of people I've talked too swear by an expensive and lengthy $3,000 course called CELTA, but others insist its completely unnecessary and that faster cheap online courses that can get you a CERT in under a month for as little as $50 suffice just fine for most positions.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, I took a look at my confirmation email for the interview I have on Tuesday for Security Operations Center Analyst. One of the people that is interviewing me worked with me at my first IT job. I think he liked me. I hope he vouches for me. We are connected on LinkedIn. What's funny, is I saw that he worked there just this week. When I checked the email about an hour ago, I saw his name and did a double take.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I already have a degree so the next step would be getting a license. A lot of people I've talked too swear by an expensive and lengthy $3,000 course called CELTA, but others insist its completely unnecessary and that faster cheap online courses that can get you a CERT in under a month for as little as $50 suffice just fine for most positions.
Well, you can always try the $50 one since it's really cheap and fast, and if it's not good enough, do the other one. Or ask people who've done it. This is the full extent of my knowledge, unfortunately, but I do wish you good luck!

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Oh wow, I took a look at my confirmation email for the interview I have on Tuesday for Security Operations Center Analyst. One of the people that is interviewing me worked with me at my first IT job. I think he liked me. I hope he vouches for me. We are connected on LinkedIn. What's funny, is I saw that he worked there just this week. When I checked the email about an hour ago, I saw his name and did a double take.
Many would kill for an advantage like that, it sounds like you'll get the job!

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Argh I just got a meeting for an inital interview in house but it is like almost two weeks away. I honestly feel like the hiring manager may have picked the wrong date. I dunno.

Either way I am excited since it is a manager role

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hiring manager called out sick, so I got rescheduled for tomorrow. I studied all weekend reading my Cyber Security books and working on questions and answer to ask during interview. I was hoping to get it over with today, so that kind of sucks. I guess the positive is that I can study and prepare some more. Fuck, I want this. It would be big for me. I think I can go from 60-80k and it would be really good on my resume in a year or two. It would definitely put my 5 year plan in good shape, maybe better than what I originally had. I thought I might have had to be a systems or network admin before getting an info sec job. I really think that this job will decide if I stay here or move back to Chicago this year. If I can't move up here, then I might have to find another help desk or possibly desktop support job in Chicago while I settle in and try to move up again. There are pros and cons to both situations, I guess.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
would you guys recommend moving to Toronto or Vancouver because the other cities don't have as many entry-level jobs as a web developer? ugh.

_id

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
So I got the job that I mentioned earlier in the thread and started a week ago, my career to be exact. Put in my 2 weeks at my dead end retail job with this week being my last week. So today the manager comes to me and gives me a thousand things to do and I just said fuck this and left, never going back. Not proud of what I did but I just didn't have the will power in me to tolerate there bullshit any longer.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hiring manager called out sick, so I got rescheduled for tomorrow. I studied all weekend reading my Cyber Security books and working on questions and answer to ask during interview. I was hoping to get it over with today, so that kind of sucks. I guess the positive is that I can study and prepare some more. Fuck, I want this. It would be big for me. I think I can go from 60-80k and it would be really good on my resume in a year or two. It would definitely put my 5 year plan in good shape, maybe better than what I originally had. I thought I might have had to be a systems or network admin before getting an info sec job. I really think that this job will decide if I stay here or move back to Chicago this year. If I can't move up here, then I might have to find another help desk or possibly desktop support job in Chicago while I settle in and try to move up again. There are pros and cons to both situations, I guess.
Good luck!

vectorj

Oct 30, 2017
(Kind of a long one, apologies!)

Well kind of in the aftermath of two month's worth of looking. Managed to have three onsites last week...with 2 of them saying no. Just to give a bit of background, I worked at a small startup (emphasis on small) tech company that went belly up and closed shop at the beginning of December. So as a result I did a little bit of everything (dev work, some Db administration, a little dev ops work).

I don't know why, but I went hard on looking for dev ops jobs. They're the ones that get me the most calls, I've found. And the ones that got me three onsites.

But after the first two rejections, I've been feeling slightly disheartened. I'll definitely be trying to apply to perhaps more developer centric roles. Was banking on my experience of essentially running a vast majority of (technical) operations of a small company would get people biting.

Anyways, job 3 from last week I'm still waiting on a response. The first two interviews were kind of all over the place. 1st one was rather informal. No programming questions, just met with a large majority of the team. The second one was a bit of a gauntlet of programming problems. Which I felt I did well..save for some Javascript peculiarities and perhaps looking up components of solutions a bit much (they allowed me use of the Internet, which I thought was a bit nice). Looking back, I guess a combination of these both did me in for being offered a position.

Not gonna lie, I feel like I won't get the role from interview 3. The only thing that gives me a bit of hope is that one of the lead engineers hung back for a couple more q/a after the interview, and while we were speaking about their operations, he did tell me I had performed well/good during the interview. Which is not something I generally got told from the other two.. so fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
(Kind of a long one, apologies!)

Well kind of in the aftermath of two month's worth of looking. Managed to have three onsites last week...with 2 of them saying no. Just to give a bit of background, I worked at a small startup (emphasis on small) tech company that went belly up and closed shop at the beginning of December. So as a result I did a little bit of everything (dev work, some Db administration, a little dev ops work).

I don't know why, but I went hard on looking for dev ops jobs. They're the ones that get me the most calls, I've found. And the ones that got me three onsites.

But after the first two rejections, I've been feeling slightly disheartened. I'll definitely be trying to apply to perhaps more developer centric roles. Was banking on my experience of essentially running a vast majority of (technical) operations of a small company would get people biting.

Anyways, job 3 from last week I'm still waiting on a response. The first two interviews were kind of all over the place. 1st one was rather informal. No programming questions, just met with a large majority of the team. The second one was a bit of a gauntlet of programming problems. Which I felt I did well..but some Javascript peculiarities and perhaps looking up components of a bit much (they allowed me use of the Internet, which I thought was a bit nice). Looking back, I guess a combination of these both did me in for being offered a position.

Not gonna lie, I feel like I won't get the role from interview 3. The only thing that gives me a bit of hope is that one of the lead engineers hung back for a couple more q/a after the interview, and while we were speaking about their operations, he did tell me I had performed well/good during the interview. Which is not something I generally got told from the other two.. so fingers crossed.
Best of luck keep us posted.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you very much :)
tenor.gif

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SOC InfoSec Analyst is over. I confirmed that I got the interview because the Sr. Info Sec person at interview knew me from our first job. I definitely froze up a few times. I give my self a 50/50 shot, just because I know the one person. I'll know by Friday.
Edit: Possible bad sign. I no longer see that person in my network on LinkedIn. I have been possibly ghosted on LinkedIn due to my awful interview. Or, I'm paranoid.

Last edited:

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So this IT recruitment lady contacted me on LinkedIn last Friday, took my info down and set the interview @ TD Bank as a front end dev on Monday at 2 PM. I emailed her on Monday and she said TD would only call me for an interview if I am put on the shortlist. Meanwhile, I spent the weekend brushing up on stuff. She could have told me this on Friday and I would have done something else over the weekend.

Looking back, her profile on LinkedIn seemed fake, maybe she just wanted to steal my resume or data IDK?! I am done with random recruiters, I was really looking forward to the interview

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had a dream last night where someone took my swim trunks and I was naked. I woke up feeling pretty shitty about yesterday's interview.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Just had a productive call with a sr manager at a large banking company, more of a meet and greet. He didn't have anything that he thought I would slot in to but he liked me enough to recommend me to an internal group and to a friend as well looking to hire someone with my skillset.

Just have to keep plugging. He even gave me some hints on my resume to help adjust it for the types of positions I am looking to get in to. So I guess this is just a reminder to keep your head up, and take any call to talk about career opportunities. You never know where it may lead, and now I have another contact with this company and some useful info to improve my search.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been trying all week to speak to someone in the hospital I interviewed for way back in December. I finally got a hold of someone today who said that they are still interviewing and evaluating people, and hope to make a decision soon.

He claimed that they had interviewed over 200 people. And they're only hiring for the one position. I've been waiting on this job since early December, and frankly I'm getting real frustrated.

It's been my one and only job offer, and they're STILL interviewing people weeks later. The odds feel ludicrous, and I feel like if I somehow got this job it would be like winning the lottery.

And it's not exactly a high paying high tier position either. If I don't get this, then I have no idea what I'm going to do.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone can give me advice on this, that'd be awesome. So I got an offer yesterday from what you would call my dream job. I verbally accepted and got the offer package soon after along with a website to fill out info for my background check.

So my college changed its name after I graduated. It basically went from college to university at the end of the name. I graduated when it was still "college" however I put "university" in my background check because I figured since that's the most current name, i would use that. Now I'm starting to freak out because I feel like it may turn up a discrepancy and I could get dinged for being inaccurate. I'm thinking that was a bad idea and idk what to do.

Should I contact HR this weekend via email? Leave it alone? Idk what to do.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If anyone can give me advice on this, that'd be awesome. So I got an offer yesterday from what you would call my dream job. I verbally accepted and got the offer package soon after along with a website to fill out info for my background check.

So my college changed its name after I graduated. It basically went from college to university at the end of the name. I graduated when it was still "college" however I put "university" in my background check because I figured since that's the most current name, i would use that. Now I'm starting to freak out because I feel like it may turn up a discrepancy and I could get dinged for being inaccurate. I'm thinking that was a bad idea and idk what to do.

Just send them an e-mail explaining just that. It's not a big deal, but it'd be helpful to know I think you're fine either way.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017

this isnt the kind of thing they care about in a background check. But it wont hurt to clarify with the HR people.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Got rejected on Friday from a job that would have been really cool but only a lateral step in terms of pay. Kind of discouraging.

Every week that goes by the prospect of staying at my current job for a while becomes more bearable, though (and the possibility of them deciding to fire me seems to now be miniscule).

Talked to my manager and the manager of the team I'd like to transfer to internally as a fallback plan. Problem is (and one of the prominent reasons they haven't let me go) is that my current team is already short-staffed, so it will be hard for some months to say that the other team's need is greater than my own.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I am literally asking for a friend since he needs to make a decision quick, and not getting enough helpful advice from another forum.

I might have agreed to a job offer too quickly, but I haven't signed the contract yet. Is it possible to still back out if a better alternative is available? The offer I received is a contract offer, but I haven't sign the contract yet. I just verbally agreed to the offer over the phone. I only signed an NDA and background check.

However, later that day, I got another job interview that, while still far off, made me regret accepting the original offer too quickly. Since there are still a few days before the job starts, I still have time if the other company also likes me. Let say I do nail the interview for company 2, is it bad to back out on the offer from the first company that I accepted, or does it not count since I haven't signed a contract yet.

Right now, my plan is sending an email to the second company to see if they can expedite the hiring process. If we both like each other, I might accept the second company's offer instead. If that happens, would it damage my reputation with companies in the future if I change my mind with company 1 after agreeing to the offer? I don't dislike company 1 at all. Just that commute will be smoother with company 2.

I know there's a possibility I fail with company 2, so I have no interest in offending company 1. But if I do succeed with company 2 and choose them, would this have a negative impact?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

LaydinJinn

Oct 31, 2017
I don't believe this... I applied to this tech startup that made me go through three rounds of phone screening and a four-hours on-site with six people in October. I didn't hear from them for more than a month and finally got the rejection that they are picking someone else with more relevant experiences. In early January they reached out again saying that person didn't have enough product/project management experience so they are asking if I am still interested in the position and continue with the recruiting process. I agreed because I really think they are doing cool stuff and wanted to be a part of it all. For the final interview, they gave me a case problem that I have to prepare and go in for a one-hour presentation. I thought it went well and some of the people in the room also gave me pretty positive feedbacks. Even the main hiring manager said I was thorough and addressed all the questions that they had.

Today I just got rejected for a second time.

I am really depressed right now. I know they can reject me with any number of reasons but after all that effort and emotional rollercoaster, it amounted to a big fat zero. This is one of the worst experience I've ever been through and I am so deflated I feel like throwing up.

Deleted member 7777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe this... I applied to this tech startup that made me go through three rounds of phone screening and a four-hours on-site with six people in October. I didn't hear from them for more than a month and finally got the rejection that they are picking someone else with more relevant experiences. In early January they reached out again saying that person didn't have enough product/project management experience so they are asking if I am still interested in the position and continue with the recruiting process. I agreed because I really think they are doing cool stuff and wanted to be a part of it all. For the final interview, they gave me a case problem that I have to prepare and go in for a one-hour presentation. I thought it went well and some of the people in the room also gave me pretty positive feedbacks. Even the main hiring manager said I was thorough and addressed all the questions that they had.

I am really depressed right now. I know they can reject me with any number of reasons but after all that effort and emotional rollercoaster, it amounted to a big fat zero. This is one of the worst experience I've ever been through and I am so deflated I feel like throwing up.

Similar situation here. I'm bummed.

4 months of talking with recruiters. 3 interviews. Then ultimate rejection.

I feel like I was strung along and had my time wasted. Totally deflating.

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017

Wow that is rough. The hiring process is really messed up. Someone seeking a new opportunity shouldn't be strung along like that and then rejected at the end. I know It must be hard to keep motivated after going through all that but on the bright side, if you made it that far in the process, then I have no doubt that you can get a new opportunity with another company that are not so methodical.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Fuck this company man. Move on. Don't get deflated. I would never affiliate with a company that plays with people like that

Babyshaq90

Oct 28, 2017
Next week I will be officially be starting a job in LA County with the Department of Agriculture. I applied for this position last year in January then got mail saying to take their exam in July. Finally got called for an interview in December and they called me two days offering me the position. Been going through background and paperwork the last month and a half and finally got the call for a definite start date. I never imagined this process to be dragged out so long, but then again this is my first career kind of job and from what I always heard government recruitment always takes forever. Was working in mental health recently and will retain that job on per diem status as my wife and I will be looking to purchase a house soon. Looking forward to this opportunity as there is plenty of room for growth, as well as working 4 10's which is fantastic in the future for when I quit the other job.

pleighboi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I;'ve probably sent out 50+ applications.. only ones that responded were for police dispatcher. I have to take a test at the end of the month. Feels bad when you send out resumes and don't hear back. I much prefer to get the email stating that they went with a better suited candidate. I haven't had any interview offers though. Probably gonna apply to morepositions and update my resume. I must be making some kind of mistake or I need to improve in some way. I just really want a job.

Apr 14, 2018

Tech startups are notorious for doing shit like this. Don't let it deflate you, man. Keep pushing onto better things!

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I've gotten pretty tired of my job lately (well, over the last few years, I guess), so I've been starting to send out applications/resumes. I'm in a position where I'm very senior in my role (19 years), but my skill set doesn't really match the current market trends - I'm more of a traditional application and embedded developer, and most companies in the Portland area are looking for web services and cloud developers. I can definitely learn the basics of those skills (I have both a BS and MS in computer science and have performed a variety of roles at my current company, so learning things is not a problem), but it's hard to find jobs that pay senior developer salaries but assume relatively limited web technologies experience.

I'd much rather stay in my current company and take on a different role, but we've changed a lot over the years, and the company is very reluctant to hire or create positions for senior developers anymore. We have 25 open software engineer positions, and all of them are entry level (and from what I've heard, we underpay relative to the market, so they're just looking for the cheapest labor possible). I'm not sure how to fix things other than to learn new skills, but when senior roles demand that you've been exercising a particular skill set for 7 years or more, no amount of learning is going to make them look past the lack of that experience on your resume. I've only been sending out resumes for a couple days so I'm not surprised I haven't heard anything back yet - I know that my managers have sat on resumes for weeks before setting up phone screens, and I assume that's not too uncommon - but we'll see how I feel a few weeks from now if I don't hear anything.

EDIT: I got a response back to schedule a technical phone screen this afternoon. A good start, at least.

Last edited:

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I emailed the recruiter on Monday, explaining that the hiring manager said that the recruiter would let me know either way. The recruiter said she would get feedback and let me know in 24 hours. It's been almost 48 hours. Fucking tell me that I have been eliminated already! FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mullfuchs

Jan 29, 2019
I'm a designer in the game industry*, in a few months my contract expires and cannot be renewed. So I'm applying to jobs again and, uh, yeah it really fucking sucks.

I've had one phone interview so far (it seemed to go well but I don't think I answered enough questions 'right') and one design test, which I put a bunch of effort into only to not hear back. Recently had a phone interview scheduled and 12 hours later they filled the role internally.

I really want to exit the game industry and do something with more pay/stability. My previous 2 jobs lasted 6 months before I got laid off due to reasons out of my control. Because i kept getting laid off, I only "qualify" for contract work, which means I can't...build a career. At my age I should be mid-level or better, but I don't qualify. The only fulltime positions in this industry are Senior or Lead, and in order to get one of those, you have had to be Senior or Lead before. There is no internal promotion.

The closest I could do is probably UX Design, but a lot of places want prev work or a portfolio. So I have to basically make a portfolio, from scratch, and hope that + my previous design experience translates. I tried to pivot to web development 2 years ago, taking coding classes and learning how to do full-stack web development, but when I applied to places they looked at my long game-related work history and were like "uh we aren't games, lol, we think this is a bad fit". So I could spend 3 months making a UX portfolio and get rejected, again.

What needs to happen is for me to get hired at a studio, full time, and not get laid off after 12,6, whatever months, ship a game or two, so I can work...other places...when I get laid off again. I would also like to pick what I work on, I don't want to work on another fucking casino slot machine mobile game, but due to the way labor is you really just take what you can get.

*not verifying myself, for reasons, but the game I work on is one you've probably heard of.

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
I've gotten pretty tired of my job lately (well, over the last few years, I guess), so I've been starting to send out applications/resumes. I'm in a position where I'm very senior in my role (19 years), but my skill set doesn't really match the current market trends - I'm more of a traditional application and embedded developer, and most companies in the Portland area are looking for web services and cloud developers. I can definitely learn the basics of those skills (I have both a BS and MS in computer science and have performed a variety of roles at my current company, so learning things is not a problem), but it's hard to find jobs that pay senior developer salaries but assume relatively limited web technologies experience.

I'd much rather stay in my current company and take on a different role, but we've changed a lot over the years, and the company is very reluctant to hire or create positions for senior developers anymore. We have 25 open software engineer positions, and all of them are entry level (and from what I've heard, we underpay relative to the market, so they're just looking for the cheapest labor possible). I'm not sure how to fix things other than to learn new skills, but when senior roles demand that you've been exercising a particular skill set for 7 years or more, no amount of learning is going to make them look past the lack of that experience on your resume. I've only been sending out resumes for a couple days so I'm not surprised I haven't heard anything back yet - I know that my managers have sat on resumes for weeks before setting up phone screens, and I assume that's not too uncommon - but we'll see how I feel a few weeks from now if I don't hear anything.
One option -- albeit not a fun one, admittedly -- is to take a pay / rank hit, if possible. That's what I did for my current position (went from an experienced C++ developer role to a newbie web dev). I was confident I'd be able to pick up the skills quickly, but I had to undersell myself from a salary perspective in order to get my foot in the door and prove myself. Making less money wasn't fun, but I've since moved up the ranks and now have that extra experience on my résumé to market myself with if I decide to move to another company in the future (though I'm happy where I'm at currently).