• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
If I'm honest with myself, I'm starting to feel depressed. I don't know how many jobs I've applied for since I left my job in October. I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say 30-35.

I tweak my resume a little bit for each application, and write cover letters for most of them. I've applied for seven different positions at my dream company -- anything that is at all writing / editing related. I've received six rejection emails cumulatively from all of my apps to all of the companies, and silence from the rest.

The silence feels the worst. Like, I keep putting myself out there, with years of professional writing experience and managing editor experience, and for some reason it's not good enough for anyone. I feel like my resume is neat and well organized, and I have great references. I've tried connecting to recruiters from the companies I want to work for on LinkedIn and sending them very short and polite introductory messages, but nothing. Nothing, nothing, from everywhere nothing. I just feel ignored, and shut out and, well, rejected.

For weeks I could write it off as hiring managers wrapping up for the holidays, but now it's starting to take its toll. I feel oddly ashamed and guilty for not having another job yet. I sit inside all day and do freelance work for chump change, and continue to look for jobs, and I just feel miserable. Lately, I find I don't even feel like getting romantic with my wife.

I know y'all can't fix it. Just needed to vent again, and I don't want to show this side of myself to my wife, so I've been feeling pretty alone.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Well, I didn't get the information security analyst job. I am hating life right now.

Keep your momentum going, friend. If you can, reach out and ask why they decided to go the other way. Keep up your studying and searching. If you think about it, it doesn't matter how many "nos" you get, because you only need one "yes." The right gig is still out there, you just have to find it. I'm right here with you, still looking for my thing. We'll be alright.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Keep your momentum going, friend. If you can, reach out and ask why they decided to go the other way. Keep up your studying and searching. If you think about it, it doesn't matter how many "nos" you get, because you only need one "yes." The right gig is still out there, you just have to find it. I'm right here with you, still looking for my thing. We'll be alright.
No need to reach out. I know about the questions I fumbled over. It's tough. I waited too long. I waited until I was desperate to leave. I should have left a year ago at this time.

Anyways, I'm trying to look at the bright side. I'm going back to my old resume format. I feel like I had better luck with it. Since it looks like I will be here in another month, at least I will be vested in 25% more of the company matching.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After a successful background check in which there were issues verifying my education, I can finally say I gave notice and have a new job! Substantial raise too. i'm just elated right now.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To get some closure, I txted the colleague that got me the information security analyst interview to thank him. Maybe he was just trying to be nice, but he stated that I did well, but the competition were military people with "crazy credentials" as he put it. He said to keep trying and that I had way more certifications than he had. He also said to keep trying and that he would let me know if any Jr. positions opened up.

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
Okay era, I gotta tell my story, I applied for an amazing job, for my Company, It was a Marketing associate position, applied Dec 14, round 1 interview (phone) 15 candidates 1/11. Round 2, in person interview 5 Candidates 1/13. MADE the final round of interviews 1/20, 3 candidates in person presentation, I was given kudos from the team and the Director of Marketing for the PNW for my presentation.

Then yesterday, I was called, I was soooo happy only to be disappointed after them loving me and really liking me they went with the other candidate, only because I lacked experience. I had better ideas, and the team liked me better as a whole.

I can't rn.

Last edited:

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay era, I gotta tell my story, I applied for an amazing job, for my Company, It was a Marketing associate position, applied Dec 14, round 1 interview (phone) 15 candidates 1/14. Round 2, in person interview 5 Candidates 2/13. MADE the final round of interviews 1/20, 3 candidates in person presentation, I was given kudos from the team and the Director of Marketing for the PNW for my presentation.

Then yesterday, I was called, I was soooo happy only to be disappointed after them loving me and really liking me they went with the other candidate, only because I lacked experience. I had better ideas, and the team liked me better as a whole.

I can't rn.
They literally told you that you were the better fit?

The fuck?

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay era, I gotta tell my story, I applied for an amazing job, for my Company, It was a Marketing associate position, applied Dec 14, round 1 interview (phone) 15 candidates 1/11. Round 2, in person interview 5 Candidates 1/13. MADE the final round of interviews 1/20, 3 candidates in person presentation, I was given kudos from the team and the Director of Marketing for the PNW for my presentation.

I can't rn.
Whoever made that decision, probably only looks at the numbers. They filled a position that I wanted at my company because the guy has more experience, way more experience, like overkill. The guy is an engineer and 52, but he took this systems administration position. I'm guessing, he is just looking for a place to retire. The systems ops manager is also 40's or 50's and he doesn't want to train new blood.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Had almost a month off as I work a non-career job in research and we were out of a study. By the start of this week I had just gotten super depressed. Being unemployed is a fucking nightmare.

I'm curious, has anyone in this thread gone through the process of obtaining an entry level job in the game development business? I've gotten my CS degree, but I live nowhere near a game development company and am curious how difficult the process of getting an entry level job in one is.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you live in the US and want advice on your resume, DM me. I have 14 years of recruitment experience and work as Talent Acquisition Director for a global software company.

I won't have time to do any re-writes but I can point out what a recruiter looks for. Please be sure to remove your name and contact info though before sending it.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Hey weird question but I wanna move to the west coast once I get my bachelors in MIS and I was just wondering how the IT job market is in LA. I live in western mass and I know it's way more expensive to live there but it's just that I wanna see the west coat before I settle down or it becomes part of the pacific.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I can't rn.
I've been through something similar. Everything went great through the interviews, and then eventually they ghosted me and went with someone else.

That someone else, I later learned, was someone I'd worked with in the past who was indeed more senior than me but not someone I would say is good or someone I'd enjoy working with ever again.

I felt like shit for a while and lost confidence in several interviews following that time but eventually ended up in an even better role at a company that other company wishes it could be one day, and I think the same will happen to you!

Had almost a month off as I work a non-career job in research and we were out of a study. By the start of this week I had just gotten super depressed. Being unemployed is a fucking nightmare.

I'm curious, has anyone in this thread gone through the process of obtaining an entry level job in the game development business? I've gotten my CS degree, but I live nowhere near a game development company and am curious how difficult the process of getting an entry level job in one is.
I might know some stuff. What kind of entry level job are you going for?

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Just had an interview for a management role with my company.

I am concerned that I really knockout 5/6 of the biggest points but that 1 I am missing is like the key one.

I am not an experienced project manager or have a lot of large project management experience and this project is going to be more strategic than I thought.

Who knows, but if I get a follow up and eventually the job, it would be near career changing.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine I'd be looking for an engineering or programming job since I have a CS degree but no actual experience in the business (which I assume is needed for a design type job).
I think the first thing you need to do is actually decide what type of job you want. There is a lot more to game development than engineering and design.

That said, I think your degree makes a good base for lots of job types, but if there's no company around you, you might have to consider relocating or going into something else.

Redowl

Oct 30, 2017
New York City
I had an awful interview experience. Felt like the guy was toying with me for his own amusement. Very scummy. I never wanna go through something like that again.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just moved to LA and a week later, it's been tough, I just something and I have two years of customer service at my last job but it was at a car wash in which I never actually washed a car, it was an express wash and all that I had to do was guide and cash to upset on products, but people look at carwash and stop as they think it's like any carwash place.

It's frustrating

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
I've been through something similar. Everything went great through the interviews, and then eventually they ghosted me and went with someone else.

That someone else, I later learned, was someone I'd worked with in the past who was indeed more senior than me but not someone I would say is good or someone I'd enjoy working with ever again.

I felt like shit for a while and lost confidence in several interviews following that time but eventually ended up in an even better role at a company that other company wishes it could be one day, and I think the same will happen to you!

Thanks!

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is going to sound cheesy, but I am now currently looking for jobs. I couldn't agree more that this is indeed exhausting and soul crushing. I live in a smaller area, so it'll be quite the challenge to find anything worthwhile.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had an awful interview experience. Felt like the guy was toying with me for his own amusement. Very scummy. I never wanna go through something like that again.
I have had that experience. You are only as good as the job interviewer. When a job interviewer just gives me the cliched questions i.e. "What is your biggest strength, I tend to tune out. For my last interview, the interviewer was annoyed a few times, from what I could tell. Also, he was supposedly getting txts from his wife. That was distracting.

Redowl

Oct 30, 2017
New York City
I have had that experience. You are only as good as the job interviewer. When a job interviewer just gives me the cliched questions i.e. "What is your biggest strength, I tend to tune out. For my last interview, the interviewer was annoyed a few times, from what I could tell. Also, he was supposedly getting txts from his wife. That was distracting.
Terrible. How did he end the interview. The guy I had was really something. It was a law firm and he had his name on it. He ended it by saying "We're looking for someone young and hungry". I'm 39.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland

The cliche questions are awful. The best interviews I've had are semi-technical, but focus more on your history and personality.

I had an interview last year for a place that an ex-coworker was working at. The guy interviewing me did not seem the least bit interested from the start, and was not remotely engaged during the whole interview. He even cut me off a few times while going over some technical questions because he just didn't care.

I got confirmation from my ex-coworker that the guy was pissed that he was picked, and had to take time out of his day for an interview. I left with zero interest to pursue it further, and in the end, I learned that I dodged a bullet since that project was in shambles.

By the way, I read somewhere before that an interviewer purposefully checked their phone and acted disinterested during an interview to test the person applying. I think it was a PMO related position or something, so it was basically prove that you can keep people engaged. Shitty practice, but I guess it a tactic that fits the position.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
The job search process really sucks. I basically just learned what recruiters are, didn't even know it was a thing. I'm doing a career change so there's a lot of learning/trying to figure out how to make the transition.

I know there are local "job meetups" or whatever, anyone had a good experience with those? I'm also considering doing some online courses, not sure if they're particularly valuable but if it helps I guess it's worth considering. I'd rather in-person courses but those seem harder to arrange.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Terrible. How did he end the interview. The guy I had was really something. It was a law firm and he had his name on it. He ended it by saying "We're looking for someone young and hungry". I'm 39.
He told me that they had a few more people to interview and they would get back to me either way by that Friday.(they didn't). I had to follow up with the recruiter. I found out that I didn't get the job on Wednesday of last week.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well we are in the gig economy, also I mean jobs try to do what they can so they don't have to give out insurance
Gig economy only applies to certain professions, it lazy to say it's the entire economy. Both engineerinng and accounting, the two professions with some of the most problematic under employment, are primarily permanent roles.

Edit: I didn't realize I was in an 1800 item thread with my reply going to a 2017 post until after I posted.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I redid my resume last week. I might have went too simple for my previous one. I will now be including cover letter sent with my resumes. We'll see if that makes a difference.
Hopefully it does. I have been hit or miss with its effectiveness.

Definitely recommend always tailoring both to the job you are applying for.

Hoping to hear back on the next steps for the Manager role soon. Having a job helps in the search but mot as much when dislike that job.

I did just get contacted from a recruiter in my home town and so shit may get complicated. Mgr role meas two more years in Hel- I mean Ohio, its not really that bad, but the experience is invaluable. A job back home means similar work amd expectations but also getting to be nearer family and friends. Thats the stuff that exhausts me. These decisions affect a lot of people in my life

mullfuchs

Jan 29, 2019
Against my better instincts I am responding to the incredibly thirsty dms from tech contracting recruiters. One of them is a 6 month stint doing AR work for Facebook, I assume to make snapchat filters.

The problem with these is that the company you actually work at (FB/etc) bill the contracting company an hourly rate, and the contracting company pays you a wage. So the bill rate could be $60 an hour, but you only get $35. Only the contracting company knows the bill rate, and you get a per hour offer that they claim is "really close to the bill rate" but you don't know.

Why do I do this? getting fulltime work is so fucking hard, I guess.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
If contract works leaves you with time to look for full time employment, or if finances are tight, I'd say go for it, even if it sounds like it (with reason) isn't what you would like. At the very least, extra work experience can go in your resume and avoid questions about any unemployment gaps.

Redowl

Oct 30, 2017
New York City
Thanks. I redid my resume last week. I might have went too simple for my previous one. I will now be including cover letter sent with my resumes. We'll see if that makes a difference.
What kind of work are you looking for ? I'm at a dead end with my journalism degree. Trying to get office jobs but no dice. I hate writing cover letters. I have a few templates that I rework depending on the job. For all the good it's done me. lol

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What kind of work are you looking for ? I'm at a dead end with my journalism degree. Trying to get office jobs but no dice. I hate writing cover letters. I have a few templates that I rework depending on the job. For all the good it's done me. lol
I.T., Specifically Systems admin, network admin, info sec.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Recently graduated with a computer engineering degree and I'm wondering what jobs and companies I should be applying to? I've been applying to a lot of digital hardware engineer positions but haven't gotten any call backs and a lot of them require way too much experience. As to software engineer positions, computer engineer CS courses are very different from CS CS courses so for tech interviews the questions are really hard for me. Any advice?

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Recently graduated with a computer engineering degree and I'm wondering what jobs and companies I should be applying to? I've been applying to a lot of digital hardware engineer positions but haven't gotten any call backs and a lot of them require way too much experience. As to software engineer positions, computer engineer CS courses are very different from CS CS courses so for tech interviews the questions are really hard for me. Any advice?
I am in the same boat here man. The problem is the scope of the tech interview. Often times they ask everything from HTML, CSS, SQL to OOP and white boarding algorithms. All you can do is read as much theory, don't bs the answer and practice algorithms. For algorithms I recommend FreeCodeCamp's basic, intermediate and advanced algorithms, and a number of courses on Udemy

Con Con

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen this thread for years but never posted. Gotta say, I'm feeling that post graduation depression. I graduated with a BBA and have applied to more jobs than I can remember.

A friend of mine landed me an interview for a part time administrative assistant position. Supposedly I was a great interviewee, they even reached out to my references and I thought I had this locked up. I would have worked 2 jobs and used this position to build experience.

The call never came. My friend says they never hired anyone and I even reached out via email to find out if I was still under consideration, never got a reply. I only have restaurant experience and no one will hire me so I can begin building some business experience. Its horrid. I'm anxious all the time and miserable.

notachoice

Oct 25, 2017

Have you searched for insurance jobs? Maybe in customer service? They're not the greatest jobs but it's an idea. I had a similar major where it was difficult to find anything so I got a job in that field.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Has anyone worked on a cruise ship before? I'm going to be updating my resume to apply for some this week. (especially Celebrity Cruises) Anything that I can add that may make me seem like a stand-out candidate?

I have a degree in International Business Management/Hospitality + Tourism, and am currently working on an "elite sales force" at an RCI resort. I don't want to rely on that completely though if there are other things that I should be highlighting? I'm looking at a Sales position to start, but would like to move to Entertainment Host or be on an Events/Wedding team eventually.

I know you have to pay a lot of money for medical exams and stuff. I also don't know how to swim, but my friends have had differing experiences with that. Some have had to do tests (especially with Disney) and others have not.

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so long rant here about job searching and my general situation. I have a degree in communications. Graduated in 2005. Got a job working for a local, small market television station as a videographer. I'd film, edit, interview for daily news stories, set up live shots, etc. The tv industry is ridiculous. I could have made more money working fast food. Now this is what I went to school for. I have a communications degree in media studies.

I got out of the business, and in 2008 applied to be an air traffic controller. The economy tanked and I got screwed. So I got into the insurance business. Not selling, but customer service side of things, and eventually into insurance claims where I am today. I've been at my current company for almost 5 years now, and I'm doing just fine. Thing is the job is draining.

I've been doing some videography/editing stuff freelance on the side a few years now and I want to get back into that arena. There's plenty of companies that see the value of visual media and doing videos for their websites and social media, etc. I've applied to a ton of jobs, set up an online portfolio. I've only interviewed once, and rarely get a response back. I'm 37 and feel like I'm stuck here.

I dont want to freelance, as there are companies out there willing to hire somebody and give benefits to do the same type of work as freelance. At this point I dont know what to do. I'm half tempted to start looking for some entry level something in the communications field to kind of start from scratch, but with my kind of broad degree I feel like I'm screwed. Any tips or ideas?

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Me: I look forward to hearing from you mid next week.
Hiring Manager: You will definitely hear from me mid week.

Mid Week - No call yet

I hate caring about wanting a job

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Against my better instincts I am responding to the incredibly thirsty dms from tech contracting recruiters. One of them is a 6 month stint doing AR work for Facebook, I assume to make snapchat filters.

The problem with these is that the company you actually work at (FB/etc) bill the contracting company an hourly rate, and the contracting company pays you a wage. So the bill rate could be $60 an hour, but you only get $35. Only the contracting company knows the bill rate, and you get a per hour offer that they claim is "really close to the bill rate" but you don't know.

I'd personally not do that if I had the choice myself. I have a recruiter, but she knows I'm only interested in full time, non-contract positions (unless the role is *really* interesting, then I'd consider a contract-to-hire position for the right company/wage). Not only that, you may be on the hook for paying for your own benefits - it really depends on the contractor.

I've had a few nibbles back from applications I've sent out over the last couple weeks, but nothing serious yet. I withdrew one application after deciding I didn't want to work for the particular company, but I also have a couple of internal positions with interviews lined up which would work out well if I got one of them (including a lead developer role).

(One other thing I've noticed - for any development role with more than about 5-7 years experience, a Master's Degree is almost mandatory in my location. Many roles require one outright, and nearly all list one as strongly desired. Makes me glad I went back to school even though I'm still paying for it.)

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Me: I look forward to hearing from you mid next week.
Hiring Manager: You will definitely hear from me mid week.

Mid Week - No call yet

I hate caring about wanting a job

Quoting myself. I woke up this morning and said fuck it, I am not waiting, lets show some initiative and some potential PM skills, I wrote a follow up email stating we had agreed to talk mid-week and I just wanted to know the status of the second round, can we talk today or tomorrow, and I got an email confirming I am on to the next round of interviews and that he appreciated the follow up.

I was worried being strong and forthright may look bad, but in reality I think it important to show those skills as they will be needed going in to the new role. Very stressful because I don't usually need to use those skills or flex that muscle anymore and it is hard getting back in that mode. Especially when you want someone to hire you

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I had the crappiest interview yesterday for a BI and app dev position. I walked in nervous and totally forgot the name of the area where i lived lol, then I forgot what an interface was..

i hate getting nervous before interviews, it messes me up big time

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had the crappiest interview yesterday for a BI and app dev position. I walked in nervous and totally forgot the name of the area where i lived lol, then I forgot what an interface was..

i hate getting nervous before interviews, it messes me up big time
I have the same issue. They could ask what my name is and I would have to think.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ehhhh that contracting life

Have been doing some side work through a well known freelancing company. The client goofed and accidentally showed me a document that showed how much they were paying the contracting company for my services. It's more than double what I'm getting paid.