• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
What are people's thoughts on contacting a hiring manager on LinkedIn after applying? 1 week, 2 weeks? Never?

Do you have the recruiter's contact info? They should be your point of contact. I've done hiring before and would not want someone tracking me down through linkedin. If you're working directly with a hiring manager, then a week would be appropriate.

Hey guys. I got an Internship starting next week and there is a chance for full time in the summer depending on how things go. Anyone ever was in a situation that they started as an intern and went full time? Do you have any tips to give me the best chance to stay with this company full time?

The best thing to do as intern is find work that people don't want to do and take that on. If you're with a small company that doesn't have dedicated QA then become the QA person. If you can show value in that role then maybe they'll make it permanent. Interns who try to show that they're super-stars generally aren't liked by the existing staff. Unless you really can deliver some awesome skill they don't have.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I started applying for jobs pretty heavily last week. I'm currently employed and have been with the same employer for 6 years, and have been awarded several raises and promotions. I love my line of work, but it's grant based - and I believe the writing is on the wall regarding our biggest grant award. I'm not a huge fan of the Executive Director anyways, or the direction he's taking the organization (which is largely why I see us losing the grant). So I brushed up my resume, linked-in, and have been applying away. I have two interviews scheduled next week, and that's after a weekend worth of applying. It helps that my entire career has been in workforce development!

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I just got word that they are calling my references.

tenor.gif
Nice, I hope it pans out with a solid offer and a great chance to really improve.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
I was "lucky" enough to get a job that's walking distance from my house. Small firm and my boss is super nice but...I'm beginning to suspect he's got a major substance abuse problem. He calls out for days at a time claiming to be sick, he frequently misses appointments and outside the office obligations which then get assigned to me to cover at the last minute, we've been without access to a database that's practically essential to doing the job because he hasn't paid the bill, he inexplicably took the office shredder home for "a couple of days" and now there are rumors from the secretary that he won't make payroll on time this week. I swear, I can't catch a break. Been here six months and now I'm back out there submitting resumes because it feels like this might all come crashing down any day now.

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm exhausted, my soul has been crushed. Five months of looking in a good job market and zip, zilch, zero. I'm happy to have a job but I think I'll be here forever.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice, I hope it pans out with a solid offer and a great chance to really improve.
Thank you for the well wishes. I will update you on if I get the offer and if I take it if it is as low as I think it's going to be. At least I had an interview that I came out feeling well.

I'm exhausted, my soul has been crushed. Five months of looking in a good job market and zip, zilch, zero. I'm happy to have a job but I think I'll be here forever.

I've been in the same boat. Keep applying like I have until you get it. All it takes is one.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have a question. I'm speaking to this company who are interested also I'm unemployed now. There asking for 2 strong skills, one of the skills I'm amazing at it the other skill, im not that strong. I can learn and improve of course.

They want to send me a test after ive signed an NDA. i dont know what the test is gonna be yet. Do I tell them that im not that good at the second skill or should I keep that to myself?

I know I can learn the second skill they're asking for as ive dabbled in it before but I dont know If i should be honest on this.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Have a question. I'm speaking to this company who are interested also I'm unemployed now. There asking for 2 strong skills, one of the skills I'm amazing at it the other skill, im not that strong. I can learn and improve of course.

They want to send me a test after ive signed an NDA. i dont know what the test is gonna be yet. Do I tell them that im not that good at the second skill or should I keep that to myself?

I know I can learn the second skill they're asking for as ive dabbled in it before but I dont know If i should be honest on this.

Personally I'd err on not putting in their heads that you're weak in the other skill. But it kind of depends on what it is. SQL? Fake it till you make it. Open heart surgery? You may want to give someone a heads up. Silly example but you get the point.

vectorj

Oct 30, 2017
Tiny update on my last post. I heard from one of my buddies that just recently started that I + another that's interviewing were name dropped during a meeting for a project the CTO said I'd most likely be working on. So I really think that things are all set, it's just the formal procedures that need to get ironed out. That being said, the same friend also told me that they take an age and a half to get new employees set up. So I think I've still got waiting to do..

I just got off the call with what might've felt like The most pushiest recruiter/HR I've ever spoken to. This is for a different company. My whole experience with these folk have been a bit of a whirlwind. They wanted to do a video call, which, well, I was less than enthused about but that's OK. Then they started dropping a handful of caveats regarding the position. A lot of travel from NY to Chicago, they keep constantly referring to their current status as a startup. Making mention that long hours could possibly be something I'll be looking at doing. Also they just straight up asked me when I could start, and if Monday next week would be doable? I think that's just them figuring out if I'm interviewing anywhere else.

The travel and incessant mention of them being a startup already did a bit to dissuade me. But then their coding test..ugh. It was one of those that you need to enable your webcam and install a plugin. Ostensibly to ensure you're not cheating. I navigated away from the window extremely briefly because I got a notification from windows and the test window turned red and went "WE DETECTED YOU MOVED AWAY FROM THE TEST WINDOW. [COMPANY NAME] WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THIS. PLEASE DO NOT REPEAT THIS ACTION AGAIN".

Just top to bottom the most..annoying experience I've had thus far.

Really the only reason I've yet to just tell them "not interested" is because the company my old co-worker's at hasn't given me a formal letter. Also I don't particularly want to discount them just yet. Tomorrow I have another call and I'll probably have a better idea on where I stand with them.

Oh right to top it all off, I applied for what was a more "junior" position. The HR rep then tells me they're actually in a hiring freeze for the junior positions, and that she was trying to see if the team could potentially see me as a fit for a senior role. Which I'm rather flattered about, but honestly, I personally just don't think I have the experience to lead a team just yet. Alternatively I could be placed into an IT Administration role. Which..well, I applied for their software engineering position is all, lol.

Last edited:

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got an offer. It's what I thought. 50k, or 10k less than my current base salary and 15k less than what I made last year. Gonna see about trying to counter offer, but that is disappointing.

Edit: Sent counter offer email.

Name,

I would really love to join your team. Unfortunately, I would be taking a very large pay cut in order to do so. I am currently making $65,000 a year and am looking for at least an equivalent salary. Please let me know if there is any flexibility in the budget.

Sincerely,

CreepingFear

Last edited:

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I got an offer. It's what I thought. 50k, or 10k less than my current base salary and 15k less than what I made last year. Gonna see about trying to counter offer, but that is disappointing.
That is disappointing, hopefully you can get another 10-15% or so out of them. I know some companies cap negotiations, but hell, don't let them low ball you that much.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is disappointing, hopefully you can get another 10-15% or so out of them. I know some companies cap negotiations, but hell, don't let them low ball you that much.
Nah, I'm no sucker. I also know what the market is here in Orange County. I am just glad to have had an offer or someone want me. Hopefully, I can translate that into a better offer in the near future.

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't sure whether to create a thread or not because I'm just venting really and it is such a minute issue in the world we live in.

I've been working for the same family run office on and off for over ten years now. Currently I am in a managerial position for one of the departments. I've learned a lot while working here, but I have hit the wall in terms of pay unless I get my attorney's license which I have struggled with. I am also simply sick of the bullshit that comes with a family run office.

I've made the decision to leave for a more professional setting and will be putting my notice in on Monday.

I will be taking a pay cut in the short term(90 day probation period) to have the potential to make way more in commissions in the long run and get experience on my resume for the higher end offices down the line.

I am legitimately scared and nervous though. I know I can handle the job easily. I am over qualified. But it is a long time since I have taken a risk in myself and def feeling some serious emotions.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

You may want to work with a professional resume writer if no responses are coming in. It sounds like you may be getting filtered out before even reaching HR.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Edit: Sent counter offer email.

Name,

I would really love to join your team. Unfortunately, I would be taking a very large pay cut in order to do so. I am currently making $65,000 a year and am looking for at least an equivalent salary. Please let me know if there is any flexibility in the budget.

Sincerely,

CreepingFear
I didn't get a complete rejection yet

Hello CreepingFear ... I am out of the office today, but I will forward
>> this to (manager that I would work with) and we will get back to you concerning the salary. Thank
>> you.

Gazele

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, just got promoted and a pay raise, guess it would look bad to leave too quickly after that?

Gazele

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys, it didn't turn out to be that much of a bump, and doesn't change the underlying reasons I'm looking (commute, the industry)

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, just got promoted and a pay raise, guess it would look bad to leave too quickly after that?
Thanks guys, it didn't turn out to be that much of a bump, and doesn't change the underlying reasons I'm looking (commute, the industry)
I literally am in the same boat and have been looking for the past year.

Hell, My boss told me about my promotion, and my yearly raise, and my promotion raise while I was the final candidate for a Manager job, and I said thanks, I appreciate it, but I am still trying to land this manager job. Can't sweat it. Go for more/better.

vegato

Oct 27, 2017
After months of applying for jobs after my graduation in EE I finally got my first job offer as trainee in technical support for a major electric utility company.
The job pays really well and the employees I met seem nice and chill. I'd have many assignments in different countries and work with an international team. It's also not just an office job. So it's more or less a dream come true from the description alone.

But the thing is that the job is primarily about technical support for coal fired power plants. I know I will accept the offer, but I can't help but feel a bit conflicted about it. I'm actually completely against the use of fossil fuels in the face of climate change. So it kinda feels like I'm going to work for the bad guys who want to destroy our world :/

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Question: I've applied for a job I really want at a small startup. A week after sending in my resume/cover letter, I followed up with the company founder (who first posted about the job on Twitter) on LinkedIn, where she has a constant presence. Here I am 3 weeks later, haven't heard a single thing at all from the company - do I follow up again?

Gazele

Oct 25, 2017
Question: I've applied for a job I really want at a small startup. A week after sending in my resume/cover letter, I followed up with the company founder (who first posted about the job on Twitter) on LinkedIn, where she has a constant presence. Here I am 3 weeks later, haven't heard a single thing at all from the company - do I follow up again?

You didn't hear anything when you reached out on LinkedIn? Then definitely don't follow up again, gotta move on

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
You didn't hear anything when you reached out on LinkedIn? Then definitely don't follow up again, gotta move on
"Moving on" isn't an issue, I don't just apply at one place and then stop until I hear back :) I've had companies finally follow up with me 4 months later, definitely gotta keep applying at other places.

Gazele

Oct 25, 2017
"Moving on" isn't an issue, I don't just apply at one place and then stop until I hear back :) I've had companies finally follow up with me 4 months later, definitely gotta keep applying at other places.

Sure, I just think that if that one company is going to follow up with you then sending an application and contacting on LinkedIn is probably enough and any more might make them have a negative view of things, but that could be a wrong assumption

water_tempo

Oct 31, 2017
I just figured I'd give my thoughts on the people asking about contacting the employer too much. When people reach out to me, I do get back to them, but your email is absolutely the lowest priority thing I have to do. It can sometimes take a while, so I think when you do that initial out reach, let the person know you don't expect an immediate response, you have a long term interest, and you want to hear back whenever the person has the time, even if it is a few months from now.
I know that sucks, but for the busier recruiting/hiring people, but the time they get to an email after a few weeks/months, they likely just assume the person moved on.

On the flip side of that, you can definitely annoy hiring people by following up too often. If the company means that much to you that you are willing to risk a "black mark" by following up a second time just to get a response to your inquiry, go for it. Otherwise, I recommend waiting to follow up until you have something to add, like, "hi, I applied for this position a few months ago. I recently added X skill or took Y course and I feel like it would be really useful to your company for Z reason. I've updated my application to reflect this new information. I want to work with your company because W reason and will always be available to talk about the possibility with you." That would be enough to make me at least revisit your materials to see how things look.

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
Every intern we have hired on from that internship has shiwn intiative to do more than just what they are asked, a drive to become involved in the organization and just a lot of effort in general.

So I'd advise looking for community groups in the company you can join. Ask to be involved in projects or other work outside of your normal tasks, and be willing to do a little more.

Granted they need a position long term for you and you hopefully enjoy the culture.

We lost a great intern because we didnt have a Java coding role anywhere for him. Antoher got hired on and eventually got in to the Linux Server team because he would do projects, namely for my team, that were outside of his normal work. So not only was he doing his normal work but he took on some APEX app projects to help us out.

It helped he liked doing that but it showed the folks in charge he had a passion and a willingness to do more when he saw a gap needing to be filled.

Best of luck to you, don't tane the opportunity lightly or for granted. It really is a great chance to move up.
Thanks for answering. How should I approach doing more than what is being asked? Should I ask them if they need any additional help or just look for things on my own?

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, got rejected again... I've been in and out of work a year and a half, and I'm losing my mind. I'm applying for artist positions at studios, and I really broke my back trying to test for this one gig, only to get a rejection email today. I get it, it's a competitive industry, and I know I can always improve as an artist, but I feel like I'm a hitting a wall where I'm simply not a good enough artist to be employed. I want to start saving up, I want healthcare, I want to think long-term and I can't do any of that. I'll try to keep my chin up, but man, what a fucking mental setback this is.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Had to do a math assessment for CarMax for an anlayst role, timed, 18 tough questions. No idea how I did, needed like 3 more seconds to answer the last question, didn't make it in time, did know I had it right. A lot of financial calcs etc. Stuff I hadn't had to worry about since College. Shame.

Felt weird having to do a math assessment. Not expecting them to come back to me on this job. Didn't even have anyone reach out to me yet, so I guess this is a screener. A fucking math test.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My company went belly up about 8 weeks ago and I've been looking ever since. I swear to god, even with 3 degrees and 7+ years management experience, it seems impossible to find anything.

I have a BA in Organizational Communication, an associates in mass media and an AAS in engineering technology. I've applied to 50+ jobs and they've either gone the route of nepotism (internal communications coordinator at a software firm given to a niece of the owner) or lacking certain certifications at plants that are typically paid for by the employer.

I'm getting really fucking sick of this and don't know what to do. I'm really at a loss. Being unemployed was fun for about a week, but I'm about to go insane. I feel like a useless piece of shit and am starting to think everyone would be better off with my life insurance payoff than me being around.

Malvingt2

Oct 25, 2017
Chattanooga, TN
I am getting my resume ready ones again. I took my current job 9 months ago with relocation and I am so ready for the next level. I will not leave my company tho, I just want another promotion when I hit the year "relocation clause" and go for it.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is nothing I hate more than spending maybe 20 minutes looking up the addresses of my former jobs, the date of graduation, the phone numbers of references, all the dumb shit they want you to fill out in a job application even though you could still upload your resume, then you hit submit and:

"Error, Page Lost"

Someone please give me some Firefox apps or other programs where I can just store this information without having to constantly type it out. I know Last Pass has a master form thing but it never seems to display the information correctly (or I haven't looked into setting it up correctly).

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
It never rains but it pours often applies in my life.

Last week I had an interview that I had to take a sickday for. The logistics just couldn't facilitate anything else. Today I had *two* phone interviews, and last week's interview called me back to schedule the final round. This final round at least I could swing by swapping shifts with a coworker. Phone interview two called me back in *15 minutes* to invite me on for an in-person.

So for the three weeks of mid-March I'll have had one sit-down interview a week. I fear that i'm going to be outed at work.

The issue is that the company's in a cost-cutting mood (not because they need to be, the finances are strong but this is capitalism and they need to be stronger so they're looking to slim down my department a bit to increase margins). My bet is that when I quit, they're going to ask my boss to go without replacing me, so even if my boss is suspicious, I don't think he'll be the one to out me (we get along well to begin with, but he's also concerned that the team is overworked as-is, but not so overworked that it's effecting our metrics, just our well-being).

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
It never rains but it pours often applies in my life.

Last week I had an interview that I had to take a sickday for. The logistics just couldn't facilitate anything else. Today I had *two* phone interviews, and last week's interview called me back to schedule the final round. This final round at least I could swing by swapping shifts with a coworker. Phone interview two called me back in *15 minutes* to invite me on for an in-person.

So for the three weeks of mid-March I'll have had one sit-down interview a week. I fear that i'm going to be outed at work.

The issue is that the company's in a cost-cutting mood (not because they need to be, the finances are strong but this is capitalism and they need to be stronger so they're looking to slim down my department a bit to increase margins). My bet is that when I quit, they're going to ask my boss to go without replacing me, so even if my boss is suspicious, I don't think he'll be the one to out me (we get along well to begin with, but he's also concerned that the team is overworked as-is, but not so overworked that it's effecting our metrics, just our well-being).

This is a tough spot to be in. I certainly understand, and there is really no way around it. Keep playing the sick card, to delay anything form happening. If asked to get a note, go to Urgent care down the street, and tell them you were ill, and that now you are feeling better, but you employer wont let you return without a note. Only if it comes to that.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I got a reply back from the company where I completely tooled up the SQL test. I was told by the recruiter to not expect them to reach back out, but she did on her own via LinkedIn. I let her know that I really appreciated that gesture, and will be sure to keep in touch. It is a small thing, and I know a lot of them do this, but I was surprised since the expectation was set to not expect a call back if they don't choose you.

As is, I decided to hit up my other social network, Facebook, which I rarely try, for job leads in my home town and now I have like 15 more leads. Hopefully something comes of it, honestly I just want to get in somewhere that has a good mission, is set for growth, and where I like the culture, oh and that can absorb my salary.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
My company went belly up about 8 weeks ago and I've been looking ever since. I swear to god, even with 3 degrees and 7+ years management experience, it seems impossible to find anything.

I have a BA in Organizational Communication, an associates in mass media and an AAS in engineering technology. I've applied to 50+ jobs and they've either gone the route of nepotism (internal communications coordinator at a software firm given to a niece of the owner) or lacking certain certifications at plants that are typically paid for by the employer.

I'm getting really fucking sick of this and don't know what to do. I'm really at a loss. Being unemployed was fun for about a week, but I'm about to go insane. I feel like a useless piece of shit and am starting to think everyone would be better off with my life insurance payoff than me being around.

I was unemployed last year for four months after not having a break for more than two weeks since 2004 and definitely get the frustration but you have to get some hobbies to occupy your mind. The more senior the position the fewer there are and the more time companies take to fill them. My advice is to only actively search for jobs two or three days a week and volunteer or something the others. You need something to stay busy and feel productive.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
This is a tough spot to be in. I certainly understand, and there is really no way around it. Keep playing the sick card, to delay anything form happening. If asked to get a note, go to Urgent care down the street, and tell them you were ill, and that now you are feeling better, but you employer wont let you return without a note. Only if it comes to that.

The two upcoming interviews I can dodge without needing PTO. This Friday i managed to switch a shift with a coworker who works 11-7 because the interview's at 9. Next week the interview's at 5 so I'll just have to leave work a tiny bit early, probably just skipping lunch.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have an over the phone technical interview tomorrow that I think I am probably way in over my head. It's for a lvl 2 NOC Network Engineer lol. I hope I can remember enough things from my CCNA to help me some what.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is something I ask now and then, but what are considered the best job sites for finding job availability? I bounce around Indeed, Glassdoor, sometimes LinkedIn, and usually have to wade through a lot of garbage as well as jobs that require you to register a whole new account and waste a whole bunch of time filling out one application.

Do you also find it better to search by job title or focus on reputable companies?

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is something I ask now and then, but what are considered the best job sites for finding job availability? I bounce around Indeed, Glassdoor, sometimes LinkedIn, and usually have to wade through a lot of garbage as well as jobs that require you to register a whole new account and waste a whole bunch of time filling out one application.

Do you also find it better to search by job title or focus on reputable companies?
I prefer Indeed. Great search and interface. It also lists salaries for those companies that provide ranges. I will usually right click the company and search on google for reviews on them. Glassdoor is the place to find out what kind of salary and benefits they provide. LinkedIn is probably second. Monster and those other sites seem to be stuck in the past.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017

I tend to go by title and then responsibilities and reqs. I don't mind using a lot of the bigger sites but I do wish most companies just interfaced better with linkedin. I'd prefer a 1 click application process.

Some companies ask way too many damned questions

Gazele

Oct 25, 2017
I like Glassdoor best, at least in my field indeed has a bunch of spam and trash, Glassdoor usually has at least a salary estimate

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tend to go by title and then responsibilities and reqs. I don't mind using a lot of the bigger sites but I do wish most companies just interfaced better with linkedin. I'd prefer a 1 click application process.

Some companies ask way too many damned questions
ARE YOU A VETERAN?

ARE YOU A VIETNAM VETERAN

ARE YOU A DISABLED VETERAN?

Here is an attachment option for your resume, but we are going to make you feel out all the same info in our form anyways.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't get a complete rejection yet

Company said $55k was the best they could do and they are moving on. I probably dodged one.

Last edited:

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry I haven't followed this thread but where are you located and what is the position? Curious because my salary is in the same range but I'm in SF and am having a hard time figuring out how to increase my take.
Irvine area in Orange County California. Call me crazy, but that($50-55k) seems low for a junior administratior job when my base salary at help desk is $60k and I made 65k last year with OT.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Just a friendly reminder to update your resume for each job applied.

My friend who is an HR Director had to politely remind me to do so for a job that is coming up in their org. She specifically said to update the resume to highlight all of the areas you match the posting and adjust language to match.

Also; if I go work for a company like Verizon do I become a baddie? Like Verizon has always seemed kind of scummy to me but hey they have a reporting manager job and obviously my Salary reqs didnt scare them off.

I am always conscience of this, like I work for a large Chemical/Paint company with a memorable logo that isnt environmentally friendly even though the company strives towards those goals.

I tend to be skeptical of insurance companies/healthcare, big telco and banks/finance because I don't feel like these industries are the most responsible. But sometimes you need/want a job really badly.