• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
Just got this email from a tech company I applied to online a while ago:

"Thank you for your interest in working with X. We recently received your resume from one of our employees in regards to our Software Engineer position. Unfortunately, this role has been filled and we don't have any additional openings at the moment. Should a position become available that is open and a good match we will be sure to reach out to you.

Again, thank you for considering X - we highly value our referrals and appreciate the time you took to reach out."

I'm surprised I got an email considering these companies usually ghost when they reject you. A bit confused about them mentioning referrals and that they received my resume from one of their employees. Did I get slightly further in the application process or is this just a standard response everyone gets?

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
"Hey we're going to have someone contact you tomorrow to set up an interview."

*A week then passes without hearing anything and the person that originally contacted me won't even bother to pick up the phone when I call to see what's going on.*

Fucking cool.
This is happening to me right now minus the manager not answering. Said he'd contact me tomorrow or so, never has yet. Sure it's not a good job, but wanna work again even if part-time.

moneywoes

Nov 17, 2017
Any tips or resources for applying to CS jobs w/o a bachelors ( only an associates degree but I plan to get a bachelors once I get residency).

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm applying for a job for a major genre-based website. They've been putting up multiple positions over the past year for different jobs and I'm super interested. They're asking for someone with a journalism degree, and while I don't have that I do have two years of experience doing basically what they do as far as writing about games/anime, etc. Plus while it's a remote position, I'm also based in the area where their company is.

I sent my application in at the end of last month but I wish there was more I could do. I'm tempted to message one of the writers who works there on LinkedIn for tips on how to get hired, but I'm not sure if that's like, crossing a line or being weird.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I managed to receive 6 rejection notices on Thursday morning in the same 8am window. So that was an interesting feeling.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
So, here's my situation. I graduated with a Masters in Public Health, with a dual concentration in Epidemiology and Global Health in 2017. Managed to get a job working in Rhode Island earlier this year. For numerous professional and personal reasons, I quit nearly two months later. I wonder what can I do for getting positions in public health, since my only other work related to the field was working as a lab assistant in two projects. I can post my resume if that helps a bit. I live now back in Brooklyn, so I am down for heading to Jersey, Boston, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, etc.

Doom

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Currently taking a pre-interview stress poop

Interview starts in 20 minutes. Final one to see if I'm moving 800 miles to go back home.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After 4 months of searching I finally got a new job! I'll be a Technical Account Manager, same as my last job, but this is a 40% raise :D

Still need to sign all the papers to make it officially, but it seems like I can finally stop searching. :)

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Barring a swerve in the background check that I have to wait on, (when did this become a thing for low level employment?) I finally got something. Took way too long because the job market here sucks and I gave in and applied to the place I tried to avoid, got to the point where I was starting to consider food service hell which I swore a long time ago I'd never do again.

Only part time retail but it's something and I'm not in huge need of 40+ hours right now and easing into this instead jumping right into full-time hours is for the best because I'm feeling the anxiety as it is. It's enough to cover what I need to for now and I'll probably get more hours if I want them, been a long time since I've done this. Hopefully I'll get back to school after a while.

Last edited:

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
No tech related experience unfortunately, just 2 years associates degree, 1 job as a tutor in compsci at college, 1 job as a tutor at a tutoring agency and another job retail ( for the last 1.5 years).
Apply for the entry level positions and apply for those that say a bachelor's is required. There's a decent chance that that's not a hard requirement. Include relevant school experience on your resume, like a capstone project, or something cool/interesting you did for class. I only have an associate's, so that's what I did and it was enough to get me started 7 years ago.

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
So i graduated 2 years ago from college and still i didnt get a full time job, only 2 internships for few months and i kinda of lost hope, should i go back to uni to get a master degree or is that a waste of time for someone with no experience?

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
im ready to move on to a new job and looking at websites like indeed, simply hired, etc all the jobs are the same. Most look sketchy or from companies i wouldnt get the vibe that they will take care of you (most wont as we know but still would like to feel like they do), or just jobs that wont pay good or even have benefits.

I just dread going through this again just to get out of my current job

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Going thru this right now. I graduated in december and have yet to be hired. I'm working my dead end retail job that I mentally clocked out of a year ago and it's miserable.

I drive 3 hours to the closest metro area for interviews because it's the only place for someone in Public Relations to get a viable job near me. It costs me money and removes me working and is driving me further into debt. It seems like I've entered a growing black hole of not being able to subsist while all of my friends are going on to find successful jobs. I keep being rejected due to a lack of experience.

It doesn't seem like I'll ever find a job and I completely wasted my time joining the military to pay for and going to college. And I hate the military.

Oct 27, 2017
So i graduated 2 years ago from college and still i didnt get a full time job, only 2 internships for few months and i kinda of lost hope, should i go back to uni to get a master degree or is that a waste of time for someone with no experience?
Are you in the US? Labor market is tight, I'd try to get a job in your field before you go back to school for a Masters

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019

Going for a Masters is a drastic step, it really depends on your current degree and jobs you're applying for. A lot of schools have limited to no financial aid for master's programs, so I would be triple sure you need it.

Keep working at it, just keep applying, and if you gotta take a job that's entry level no where near your field to make ends meet, there's no shame in that! You got this!

Oct 27, 2017
Going for a Masters is a drastic step, it really depends on your current degree and jobs you're applying for. A lot of schools have limited to no financial aid for master's programs, so I would be triple sure you need it.

Keep working at it, just keep applying, and if you gotta take a job that's entry level no where near your field to make ends meet, there's no shame in that! You got this!
Also student loans for grad school are a higher interest rate

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Finally got an offer - 3 months and 8 days. What a miserable fucking few months.

Good luck, the rest of you

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
Anyone have any job search advice for someone with a B.F.A in studio art? My girlfriend is stuck in the typical retail-rut, but unsusprisingly, there aren't a ton of opportunities for non-graphic design art degree holders. We're in a 300k+ person metro with another large metro >30 miles nearby, so at least she has that working for her.

Was hoping someone may have experience and could give recs for avenues (additional education included) to consider.

moneywoes

Nov 17, 2017
Apply for the entry level positions and apply for those that say a bachelor's is required. There's a decent chance that that's not a hard requirement. Include relevant school experience on your resume, like a capstone project, or something cool/interesting you did for class. I only have an associate's, so that's what I did and it was enough to get me started 7 years ago.
Thank you very much for the reply. How lon gdid it take you to get a job following graduation if you don't mind me asking?

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
How does everyone deal with their long-term goals? I've always wanted to work at Apple, especially in their new spaceship, but I know I'd just become one of the thousands of other employees there. I think I'd feel like I'd be starting at the bottom, despite reaching the level that Apple sits on.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
So I landed a job as a ramp agent, at my local airport... but it turns out my negligence to ask what the pay is, has me finding out that the job is minimum wage ($9.45/hr), and has split shifts Monday - Wednesday. I'm slated for 21 hours a week, with intervals of 3-hour shifts; 8:30am-11:30am then 4:00pm-7:00pm. All I can say is, for the amount of red tape I had to go through as well as the amount of compliance I'll be having, doesn't minimum wage seem, astoundingly low?? I have nearly 50 training modules to complete within the month, but the job just doesn't feel... Worth it? It feels bad knowing I could work fast food for more, and have steady shifts. Some of the people who work there have expressed concern in regards to Delta Airlines being bought out, and currently 3 of the people (including my trainer and my head manager) are out to other airports due to staffing shortages.

So given everything stated, I've gone in for 2 days so far, would you continue to do this job?
Union job?

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't union.

I ended up quitting. Too much compliance, split shifts, and minimum wage, it was pretty awful. Good people, but terrible pay, hours, and to top it off, Delta's flight benefits are slowly being gutted as well.
Yeah that sounds like absolute crap. At least with a union job you would get excellent benefits, non-union I don't understand how they can even get people to fill a position like that.

Oct 28, 2017
Can't really give advice without knowing your degree and what jobs you're applying for.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How does everyone deal with their long-term goals? I've always wanted to work at Apple, especially in their new spaceship, but I know I'd just become one of the thousands of other employees there. I think I'd feel like I'd be starting at the bottom, despite reaching the level that Apple sits on.
I think the most important thing is to recognize that you don't actually know what it's like to be at Apple.

I also used to think I wouldn't want to work at a big company like EA for pretty much the same reason. But once I got here, I very quickly found out I was wrong, as I actually like the structure, support, and actual career path (plus pay and benefits are also way better because they can afford it).

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that sounds like absolute crap. At least with a union job you would get excellent benefits, non-union I don't understand how they can even get people to fill a position like that.
Truth be told, it seemed like the people who worked there treated it like a sense of public charity to continue to work there. People who worked as nurses working there 5 days a week to help the community. In that sense, it's great I suppose, but for those without a career, it was an insult to be paid minimum.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit lost at the moment and was wondering if anyone could share their opinion regarding this.

I've been working at IBM, coming up to three months now, and the salary is really good at £39k - the job itself though doesn't really satisfy me as it's basically 1st line support and the team is quite big so I'm not exactly sure how progression is suppose to work. Anyway, just the other day a university around the corner contacted me for an interview - 2nd line support + AV support. The salary is £34k but no travel expenses as I can walk there in like 10 minutes. I much prefer hands-on work over sitting at a desk all day doing support chats.

Should I even bother with this?

Doom

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I'm a bit lost at the moment and was wondering if anyone could share their opinion regarding this.

I've been working at IBM, coming up to three months now, and the salary is really good at £39k - the job itself though doesn't really satisfy me as it's basically 1st line support and the team is quite big so I'm not exactly sure how progression is suppose to work. Anyway, just the other day a university around the corner contacted me for an interview - 2nd line support + AV support. The salary is £34k but no travel expenses as I can walk there in like 10 minutes. I much prefer hands-on work over sitting at a desk all day doing support chats.

Should I even bother with this?
Let them know that you have a current job making 39k and that you don't feel comfortable taking in a lower salary, but that you're interested if they can offer you better than what you're currently making.

There's a lot of joke masters programs that you can do 100% online out there. If you really need to stall and pretend like you're doing something productive you can always cough up the money.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got ghosted by another recruiter after getting a phone interview with the company. Sent a followup. Still nothing. What a waste of time.

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Before I started in the industry, I applied to GameStop, and they didn't call me back. Turns out I did way better than that.

Their loss.
It's hard for me because the last four and a half years for me was in an overnight warehouse job. They fired me for poor performance, even though there were things out of my control, and they didn't actually terminate my employment, so I can't get COBRA insurance or my payout for my vacation time until I call back and get that straightened out. I can't collect unemployment insurance until this gets fixed either.

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Attempted to get a job at Chipotle, got the interview, didn't get a call back.

That's working wonders for my morale.
I have applied at alll kinds of fast food jobs and whatnot, and no responses or asking for an interview.

It's hard for me because the last four and a half years for me was in an overnight warehouse job. They fired me for poor performance, even though there were things out of my control, and they didn't actually terminate my employment, so I can't get COBRA insurance or my payout for my vacation time until I call back and get that straightened out. I can't collect unemployment insurance until this gets fixed either.

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.
That sucks. :/ I filed for unemployment, but think they denied me back then cause don't make enough wages.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been a temporary contract worker for 3 years now at the same place as union stuff meant I couldn't apply for a permanent gig until I'd accumulated enough time on temporary contracts and finally, a full-time gig popped up now that I'm able to apply. Interviewed fairly informally with the principal since he knows me well. No people that need to be hired ahead of me for seniority reasons. No people that are more qualified than me, though some that are equally qualified.

Didn't get it. Gave it to a former temporary person because she'll be a coach but also because the senior person in the department said she didn't want me to work with me. This despite having 6 years more experience, better relationships within the school (well, save from the one person I guess it mattered with), and shit load more knowledge than the new hire at the job.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I've legit never *felt* disappointment before. Sure, I've been bummed about not getting a job or missing out on something but never had soul-crushing, utterly deflating disappointment. I can't be super mad the boss, since he's done me several solids in the past but man, I really needed this one last one from him. And I'm upset with him that he would side with the old boot of a teacher despite a lot of other people vocally trying to get me into the job. Losing out on a permanent gig, in the department I like to teach, in the school where I love the kids, where I have close friends who I've worked with, and that after paying dues in so many shit jobs for the past 7 years is a real kick in the balls. Anyone else, it would suck but I couldn't be mad. But losing it to someone who has only been at the job for a minute and a half is dumping a box of salt on the wound. Cancel plans to buy a house since I have no idea where I'll be next year (and beyond).

Oh well. See what the next position I get tossed into is and keep on going.

May 9, 2019
Trying to get a retail job and it sucks. I'm a full time student so once school starts back I most likely won' have the time to work but these stores are so stingy and don't want summer only people. I said my schedule can be worked around when school starts back but it seems they just want people who can work 24/7.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Trying to get a retail job and it sucks. I'm a full time student so once school starts back I most likely won' have the time to work but these stores are so stingy and don't want summer only people. I said my schedule can be worked around when school starts back but it seems they just want people who can work 24/7.

This was the trouble I had when I was in college. Managed to leverage years of volunteer work for a paid job at the library for my summer before Freshman year and found a fast food place desperate enough to take me on for a 3 month hitch. Summer before Sophomore year I plain didn't work for failure to find it. Summer before Junior year i had to work under the table at a family friend's place.

Now, the place I was staying for the summer was a very bad job market so ymmv, but yeah, living far away from school your better bet would be to find something relevant to your studies, even if unpaid, unless the money's essential.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Had a callback interview on tuesday with a firm I'm very interested in. Final interviewer came in and basically said we'll probably be sending you an offer in the next week. I haven't heard from them since and I'm starting to read the tea leaves and think I was rejected. Hopefully I'm just being neurotic but I really need this job. If I don't get it I think I'm going to be forced to radically shift my career path.

Redowl

Oct 30, 2017
New York City
I got offered a job that pays a lot less than what I'm making but seemed like a better place to work. I just accepted full time at my job because of the money. This feels like I'm getting more pulled in and it's gonna get harder to go to interviews being full time. Fml.

Redowl

Oct 30, 2017
New York City
Had a callback interview on tuesday with a firm I'm very interested in. Final interviewer came in and basically said we'll probably be sending you an offer in the next week. I haven't heard from them since and I'm starting to read the tea leaves and think I was rejected. Hopefully I'm just being neurotic but I really need this job. If I don't get it I think I'm going to be forced to radically shift my career path.
keep us posted.
keep us posted.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Does anyone have a link to where I can do tutorials on Quickbooks? Been trying to find a website that offers tutorials beyond videos that just point and explain how it works. Gonna be applying to some entry level accounting fields and the only credentials I can show for it is taking a few accounting courses.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Does anyone have a link to where I can do tutorials on Quickbooks? Been trying to find a website that offers tutorials beyond videos that just point and explain how it works. Gonna be applying to some entry level accounting fields and the only credentials I can show for it is taking a few accounting courses.
Intuit offers QuickBooks training classes in person and online but they cost money. Your local community college might have QuickBooks classes as well.

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Udemy has some paid tutorial classes that go deep into the nuts and bolts of Quickbooks, look into that.