• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
I have a solid gig working customer care for a major automobile company rn. Before this, I was unemployed for months using doordash income to pay for everything I needed. Damn was I broke. Hang in there everyone, if you put in the effort, your day will come. I promise

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I miss the days when you could go somewhere, put an application in, maybe call afterwards, get an interview, be hired and start working within the same week. Still waiting on my background check and it's ridiculous, especially when the place I'm going to be working (assuming I don't get denied) was already short staffed.

So I landed a job as a ramp agent, at my local airport... but it turns out my negligence to ask what the pay is, has me finding out that the job is minimum wage ($9.45/hr), and has split shifts Monday - Wednesday. I'm slated for 21 hours a week, with intervals of 3-hour shifts; 8:30am-11:30am then 4:00pm-7:00pm. All I can say is, for the amount of red tape I had to go through as well as the amount of compliance I'll be having, doesn't minimum wage seem, astoundingly low?? I have nearly 50 training modules to complete within the month, but the job just doesn't feel... Worth it? It feels bad knowing I could work fast food for more, and have steady shifts. Some of the people who work there have expressed concern in regards to Delta Airlines being bought out, and currently 3 of the people (including my trainer and my head manager) are out to other airports due to staffing shortages.

So given everything stated, I've gone in for 2 days so far, would you continue to do this job?
Michigan? That definately looks like a lot of work/effort for $9.45/hr and part time on top of it.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
I miss the days when you could go somewhere, put an application in, maybe call afterwards, get an interview, be hired and start working within the same week. Still waiting on my background check and it's ridiculous, especially when the place I'm going to be working (assuming I don't get denied) was already short staffed.

Michigan? That definately looks like a lot of work/effort for $9.45/hr and part time on top of it.
Michigan exactly. But yeah someone who worked there for 7 years had to leave due to shoulder surgery, got rehired back into minimum wage. The place is not doing too well, to be frank. I guess in the same week I left their airplane mechanic outright walked out. It's been a mess I'm glad to not be part of.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Attempted to get a job at Chipotle, got the interview, didn't get a call back.

That's working wonders for my morale.
Just take it as a sign that you were too good for it. I have been turned down for all sorts of jobs, you just have to keep moving on, the right job will come up and it will likely be better than the ones you got turned down for.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I was super lucky with my first retail job where the store manager said to do an app then and there. She liked me, and this was during HS. I was hired on the spot with no interview. Now with that big ass gap working retail, I don't think many would hire me. It's been 6-7 years since I worked retail, and sadly I was terminated for a dumbass thing I did.

Applied at a CVS, got an interview, went, and was told he couldn't give me a yes or no. They are reviewing other candidates and if didn't hear anything back in a few days to a week...then was denied

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Go in for my interview at Subway today. It's one close to me, and can walk there for the interview and if offered the job. I've read every single advice thread on the subreddit and Indeed Q&A.

It sounded like if all goes well, she said she'd need my state ID and social security number. I'll update ASAP when I get back later!

The part that maybe the hardest for me at first is cutting the bread and remembering where stuff is.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
I have a final round interview at a startup today and I don't know if I really want the job. I feel anxious about this
Broach your concerns in the interview. If they reject you for your concerns then that means they were valid. If they can address your concerns then you will have the info you need to make the correct decision.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Go in for my interview at Subway today. It's one close to me, and can walk there for the interview and if offered the job. I've read every single advice thread on the subreddit and Indeed Q&A.

It sounded like if all goes well, she said she'd need my state ID and social security number. I'll update ASAP when I get back later!

The part that maybe the hardest for me at first is cutting the bread and remembering where stuff is.
Good luck.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Broach your concerns in the interview. If they reject you for your concerns then that means they were valid. If they can address your concerns then you will have the info you need to make the correct decision.
So far it's been good. Had a fun conversation about AWS architecture now he's gettin me a burrito. I am being increasingly sold on this thing

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Just received a rejection letter for a job I really really wanted. Damn that shit hurts.
I have to write 3 motivation letters for 3 different offers I don't really care all that much about. Yay!

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA

UPDATE

The interview lasted about...an hour or so. Most of it was just talking and other common sense stuff. I got the job, though!! 15-20 hours! She said she really needed day time help and all that.

I am now an official Subway team member!

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
UPDATE

The interview lasted about...an hour or so. Most of it was just talking and other common sense stuff. I got the job, though!! 15-20 hours! She said she really needed day time help and all that.

I am now an official Subway team member!
Congratulations! I hope everything goes well in your new job.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I wish companies would just reply to applications. Even if they just autoreply to the initial email so I know the email exists and didn't just go into a black hole

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a college degree so I've been trying to apply to places where you can move up (Costco as an example) and i get through 2 of 3 interviews with flying colours than the 3rd one goes to shit and it's usually because the owner or district manager is just rude and does what they can to be intimidating and the my nerves get shot. Like I don't know what I can do to stop my nerves from getting fucked

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I'm a member of this job searching group now... Medical issues mean I can't continue the career path I've put over a decade into, so I'm starting over. I was accepted into a university for a new degree path and am looking for a job as well.

I'm just thankful that I'm able to go back to school and have that opportunity.

I wish companies would just reply to applications. Even if they just autoreply to the initial email so I know the email exists and didn't just go into a black hole
Are you using Glassdoor, Indeed, etc?

They have an algorithm that can get your resume dropped before the employer ever gets to see it and it's kind of broken. It's designed to weed out junk input, but if you upload your cover letter first, and then your resume second it may try to read your cover letter as a resume and pitch your entire application because it thinks the resume is wrong. So, even if it sounds odd, upload your resume, then the cover letter, or try to avoid the algorithm and try to apply on the company's website...

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a member of this job searching group now... Medical issues mean I can't continue the career path I've put over a decade into, so I'm starting over. I was accepted into a university for a new degree path and am looking for a job as well.

I'm just thankful that I'm able to go back to school and have that opportunity.

Are you using Glassdoor, Indeed, etc?

They have an algorithm that can get your resume dropped before the employer ever gets to see it and it's kind of broken. It's designed to weed out junk input, but if you upload your cover letter first, and then your resume second it may try to read your cover letter as a resume and pitch your entire application because it thinks the resume is wrong. So, even if it sounds odd, upload your resume, then the cover letter, or try to avoid the algorithm and try to apply on the company's website...

No this was a direct application to a specific company. If I'm mass mailing through places like indeed I don't mind if I don't hear back. But if I'm targeting 1-2 companies it's painful when you get radio silence back

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
OK so my employer "parted ways" with me. I do have a developmental disorder (autism), and it was stressful/overwhelming for me. I know even my old retail job was, but I got over it.

"i didn't want you to feel uncomfortable and many tasks that will be needed will be difficult for you. This job isn't for everyone and its ok if your unable to do it, but we need to fill the position with someone capable of lifting and moving fast! I think perhaps another business or type of work might fit you. your attitude is amazing and someone could benefit from your personality with maybe a lil less workload than Subway. I think at this time it would be best for both of us if we parted ways. if you want to drop off your shirt/visor off we can get the check in 2 weeks for the 3 hrs the other day"

she said she was gonna call me the other day, but guess she forgot. i never said i can't lift, but i am kinda slow. do i just..like not use Subway...? didn't even last a week. do i ask if i can use her as a reference? she said kind words about me.

bonus points: This was via text.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
No, do not use her as a reference or put it on your resume or a job application.
Thanks! I won't use her or Subway on my application.

Edit: I saw your edit and wanted to add it seemed like she did "fire me". I just need to return my shirt and visor tomorrow sometime. It seems like she liked my personality and attitude but felt like Subway was not a good fit for me.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Have 2 interviews lined up. From anyone's experience, does asking these questions get met with positive feedback from employers/hiring managers? Will be looking as an item clerk and claims representative for auto insurance, currently work in customer service and sales

Yes, having good questions can really help leave an impression. It is obviously only a part of the interview though. For example, I did a full time interview at Amazon and they sent me an email saying I'd be getting an offer just three hours after the interview. I ended up going with a different company though. I asked the interviewer this question, and I could tell I really lit a spark and he really liked the question. He answered my question with a lot of detail and enthusiasm

"I interned last summer at company X, and when I was there I got to do a lot of data-driven development. It was my first opportunity to work in that kind environment with detailed A/B testing. Could you tell me a bit about how much data-driven development for a software engineer at Amazon?"

Also, it's good to be able to ask about work-life balance with a well worded question. I usually ask something like :

"How would you say somebody at this company is empowered to find the best way for them to excel while also maintaining a satisfying work-life balance?"

This lets them talk less about "you better work this much" and more about how they can flex their work around their life and vice versa.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Yes, having good questions can really help leave an impression. It is obviously only a part of the interview though. For example, I did a full time interview at Amazon and they sent me an email saying I'd be getting an offer just three hours after the interview. I ended up going with a different company though. I asked the interviewer this question, and I could tell I really lit a spark and he really liked the question. He answered my question with a lot of detail and enthusiasm

"I interned last summer at company X, and when I was there I got to do a lot of data-driven development. It was my first opportunity to work in that kind environment with detailed A/B testing. Could you tell me a bit about how much data-driven development for a software engineer at Amazon?"

Also, it's good to be able to ask about work-life balance with a well worded question. I usually ask something like :

"How would you say somebody at this company is empowered to find the best way for them to excel while also maintaining a satisfying work-life balance?"

This lets them talk less about "you better work this much" and more about how they can flex their work around their life and vice versa.

Nice, appreciate the input, that's excellent wording as I tend to be hesitant about mentioning w/l balance with the possibility of sounding like "I don't want to work too much"; that phrasing sounded like it wants to find efficient ways to contribute to working

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a college degree so I've been trying to apply to places where you can move up (Costco as an example) and i get through 2 of 3 interviews with flying colours than the 3rd one goes to shit and it's usually because the owner or district manager is just rude and does what they can to be intimidating and the my nerves get shot. Like I don't know what I can do to stop my nerves from getting fucked

The best advice I can give, and what really helps me out when going through interviews, is to remember that it's just a conversation. You know more about yourself and your traits than they do. So just talk. Have a conversation, ask questions back. Keep it as natural as possible. I found that doing this really put any nerves at bay for me. I also think that comes off to the interviewer as well. Obviously don't get too casual, but try not to be so "perfect" if that makes sense.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I got an email from NASA about a position I sent in my resume for as a dark horse. I'm freaking out right now. Nervous as hell about responding.

Do I reply to the email or should I call the guy?

It's been over a decade since I've dealt with a career change.

Satori

Nov 13, 2017
So it's about time for be to start looking for another job. Or focus on my side business. I was transferred into another boss and she is the biggest micromanager I have every witness. I was warned about her and the reasons why there is such a turn over rate of people that works under her.

Quick question. She wants me to write a manual for everything that I do. Just in case, in her words, I'm in Tahiti or dropped off this planet. So that anyone can run what I do. Is this.... Normal? I told her straight out that my projects requires a deep understand of the platform. Something that took me time to developed. Not something I can just do a Step by Step guide. Her response? Your job is not rocket science, I'm sure you can come up with something....

Satori

Nov 13, 2017
I'm not sure I understand this statement fully.
Lol sorry, typing from my cellphone so it's crappy. Basically they want a guide on how to do my job if I couldn't show up to work without warning. She wants a step by step guide written and submitted to her by the end of the week. Never in my years of working I was asked to do this. Feels like me giving up leverage if I do this. If it is even possible to do in the first place.

I was curious if anyone ever was asked to do something like this before.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Lol sorry, typing from my cellphone so it's crappy. Basically they want a guide on how to do my job if I couldn't show up to work without warning. She wants a step by step guide written and submitted to her by the end of the week. Never in my years of working I was asked to do this. Feels like me giving up leverage if I do this. If it is even possible to do in the first place.

Not really. I had to make guides when I was an intern, but for really basic stuff.
I agree with you, you're giving up part of your negotating power in the company if you do that (if you can even do it) because that takes away part of the importance of your job.
I'd say start looking for something else while stalling your current boss.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

I've had to make guides before -- one was very tedious to make and the other was very short and sweet. The tedious one was supposed to be a team of individuals that would work together to complete said guide/map. The other team members always had excuses as to why they couldn't get to it or why their allocated workload wasn't completed. I ended up doing almost all of it myself. Thankless work. In my situation, I ultimately had to suck it up for the greater good. What I did streamlined the process greatly.

Ya know, it is hard to say with your situation. It sounds like your workload is unreasonable. If you are leaving anyway I wouldn't let her bother you. Like the other poster said... stall her if you can until you can bail. Don't say "no". At least not yet. The answer will always be "I'm working on it". ;)

Last edited:

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
So it's about time for be to start looking for another job. Or focus on my side business. I was transferred into another boss and she is the biggest micromanager I have every witness. I was warned about her and the reasons why there is such a turn over rate of people that works under her.

Quick question. She wants me to write a manual for everything that I do. Just in case, in her words, I'm in Tahiti or dropped off this planet. So that anyone can run what I do. Is this.... Normal? I told her straight out that my projects requires a deep understand of the platform. Something that took me time to developed. Not something I can just do a Step by Step guide. Her response? Your job is not rocket science, I'm sure you can come up with something....

I had to do this; was fine, but then again I was on a fixed term contract...

Satori

Nov 13, 2017
Thanks everyone. I'm working on it seems like the proper response while I start this job hunt.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
At what point can you make your resume 2 pages? I'm at 6 previous companies with 9 positions. Getting a little hard to fit on one page.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
What if it's all relevant though? Been different flavors of data analyst all those years... I'm old 😅
I hear you, I'm old too, I started dropping the ones that were 1 year or less. I'm lucky that every where i work its for 4-5 years, so even into my 40's I don't have 14 different things listed on my resume.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
After months of searching I finally landed a really good job after being laid off. Friday was going to be my last day and I had a job lined up where I took a 50% cut in pay, but thankfully another job came through.

It's a little more responsibility and has travel but I'm excited and it comes with a bump in pay and a bonus.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017

Outside of her tone, you should be documenting anything you do anyways. It's not a unreasonable request. I had a co worker who was going on a cruise. Our job duties overlap but he has his own stuff that I don't work on. I had to fill in for him while he was in the middle of the ocean, and because of his excellent documentation, everything was smooth sailing while he was gone.