• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bgbball31

Oct 25, 2017
I got called by a job I applied for, they sounded all set for an interview, and then just never called back to set one up. Back to square one, I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Arizona
I have an interview next week for a promotion in a different department. 30% pay bump if I get it.

I am horrible at interviews though so I am trying to find compromising photos of my soon to be new boss.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I guess I'm in a bind. A good bind, but still a bind. I'm in the process of going through background checks and reference confirmation with one company that seemed super ecstatic (to the point of maybe being overqualifed) to have me on board, but haven't made an official offer. Company is super conservative (hiring director's own words) but has been around for decades. Only other downsides are it being business dress (slacks, dress shirt, tie) and somewhat antiquated with regards to technology. Bonus is that I basically get to build their reporting platform from scratch in an area I'm highly familiar with.

The bind is that another company, which seems a bit more lax and new plans on sending me an offer letter tomorrow with an official start date of the 9th. They are still in the process of building out their reporting platform and I'd at least be working with a company that has a few people I know from a previous employer there. Another benefit is it being close to the rest of my friends in the area. Downsides are distance right now as it'd be about 45mins one way to work until I can move in January and it might end up being less than what may be offered by the first company.

Thoughts or suggestions? The latter company knows I'm also interviewing with another company and I still need to reach out to the former employer to give them a heads up that an offer may be on the table shortly.

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
I had an interview for a clerical job at a web services company, and I don't know if I got it. It was last Friday, and I'm going to follow up this Friday to see if any decision has been made.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Got an official offer from one of the two companies and now I have to determine if I'm going to accept it or not. Still waiting on feedback from the other company on their official offer, but it seems like maybe the better fit, more job security, and higher pay even if I have to wear a suit every day. It's a good problem to have, but it's absolutely racking my brain right now.

bulbasort

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have an engineering degree and live in a tech hub, why is it still so hard to find an entry level job?

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I have an engineering degree and live in a tech hub, why is it still so hard to find an entry level job?

So many want exposure to custom software or tools these days.

Which really sucks for new grads. Heck, it sucks for experienced hires these days as well. I've had a nightmare of a time finding a good position as a result.

One thing that did help me was an improved resume with a more modern layout and skills front and present.

If that don't work consider seeking one of your fields entry level certifications.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
PM me if you're looking for a cloud software related job (dev, sales, support, etc, the usual positions). Several locations available including remote. To be up front, I'm looking for people to refer since I get a bonus for it, but of course I would be really happy to provide a reference to fellow Era folk and help them find a job too.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
How much weight would you put on the availability of a pension plan in your decision between two very similar jobs?

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
I had several leads this week after months of nothing and some keep coming into next week for interviews. I really hope one of them works out!

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
After some negotiation, accepted a full time position with another company. It is a paycut on my end, but it also means I'm no longer in a contract position with breaks in employment.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First MBA interview tomorrow (for a job, not school). Haven't had a job interview in many years, but this is my top prospect. Sucks that it's first. Here we go.

bulbasort

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished a test on Codility after a phone interview but before coming in to the office. I feel ok about it, but it's still nerve wracking.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
1 year and 3 months after graduating (undergrad Spring 2018) with only 1 small internship in college I have gotten a job at an IT company with a $50k salary and great benefits.

I've been reading this thread since graduating. Never really contributed, but I was definitely in that unemployed "soul crushing" cycle. Almost everything people are saying here I experienced. From getting rejected on the spot in an interview to a recruiter telling me over the phone he will call me back tomorrow with more information only to get ghosted, I've been through it all. I just want to tell you guys what you already know: keep applying. Even if you get an offer for some small position take it and then keep applying for that big position.

One day you will get an offer and let me tell you, there is no better feeling in the world than deleting those Indeed, Monster, Craigslists, (insert job board here) bookmarks on your computer. None.

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
I was supposed to have a phone interview today scheduled and they never called me back or any emails. Do you think I should email them again on why I didn't get called or just move on?

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously, job hunting really sucks. I made it to a few interviews to the entry level positions for my field but every time I get turned down. Doesn't help that I lack a lot of experience with interviews and am somewhat introverted.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Ugh, I have to look for another job. Working outside in 90°+ weather is going to kill me
AgonizingGlisteningKomododragon-max-1mb.gif

Already dreading the interviews

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
Started looking for a new job only applied at like 5 places and you don't even get back a thank you anymore. Also no one wants any follow up calls? I would think that at least following up is annoying but it shows that you at least care.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
PM me if you're looking for a cloud software related job (dev, sales, support, etc, the usual positions). Several locations available including remote. To be up front, I'm looking for people to refer since I get a bonus for it, but of course I would be really happy to provide a reference to fellow Era folk and help them find a job too.

Replying to see if the offer still stands? I'll send a PM if it does.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Moved to New York a couple of weeks ago and just started hearing back from job applications. I got an interview for tomorrow for a job I honestly don't have any formal experience in. I mean, I've worked in marketing, just remotely and mostly left to my own devices. Freelance stuff. Just some email conversations and a review of my previous work creating content. This one would have me working at the place of business and the description of job duties was pretty vague on the job listing. I guess I just don't know what to expect from the interview. Pretty happy I heard back at all, though. Of all the jobs I've applied to, this was the last one I expected to hear back from.

Started looking for a new job only applied at like 5 places and you don't even get back a thank you anymore. Also no one wants any follow up calls? I would think that at least following up is annoying but it shows that you at least care.
I started applying to jobs a week or two ago and was surprised when I got a "thanks for applying" message from one of them. Silence is the standard, in my experience.

Seriously, job hunting really sucks. I made it to a few interviews to the entry level positions for my field but every time I get turned down. Doesn't help that I lack a lot of experience with interviews and am somewhat introverted.
This is me. I'm dreading tomorrow.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
So I quit my retail job, I have a little nest egg saved, I want to stay away from retail though. How do I convey on my resume that I am capable of doing jobs outside of my retail experience? I feel I could probably work as an office assistant as I'm knowledgeable with much of it.

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
Just got off the phone with a recruiter, I can tell she was lying about stuff and unprofessional. To test her I asked her what my latest position was and she took a long time and then said something that was not it at all.

Oct 27, 2017
So I quit my retail job, I have a little nest egg saved, I want to stay away from retail though. How do I convey on my resume that I am capable of doing jobs outside of my retail experience? I feel I could probably work as an office assistant as I'm knowledgeable with much of it.

I would stress your transferable skills, it's retail so you got a bunch to work with for your resume (multi-taking, time management, attention to detail, relationship building, sales, etc.) You can also take some online courses and/or grab an entry level certification that relates to the job. It's not for everyone but think about contacting a temp agency, I find that it's a good source for getting your foot in the door for an office position and can pay more than retail depending on the placement; at minimum your pay should be roughly the same depending on your location and retail position. After about 6 months to 1 year you can then parlay that into an office/program coordinator or operations management career path if you'd like.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
I would stress your transferable skills, it's retail so you got a bunch to work with for your resume (multi-taking, time management, attention to detail, relationship building, sales, etc.) You can also take some online courses and/or grab an entry level certification that relates to the job. It's not for everyone but think about contacting a temp agency, I find that it's a good source for getting your foot in the door for an office position and can pay more than retail depending on the placement; at minimum your pay should be roughly the same depending on your location and retail position. After about 6 months to 1 year you can then parlay that into an office/program coordinator or operations management career path if you'd like.
What a fantastic suggestion! Thank you!

I live in a smaller city, so temp agencies are kind of unheard of here, however, I'm hoping since I live in Michigan that Michigan Works might be able to give me some pointers. Thanks again for the response.

Oct 27, 2017
What a fantastic suggestion! Thank you!

I live in a smaller city, so temp agencies are kind of unheard of here, however, I'm hoping since I live in Michigan that Michigan Works might be able to give me some pointers. Thanks again for the response.

No problem fam, glad to be of help :D

Since you're a fellow Michigander yeah I highly recommend checking out Michigan Works as they offer a bunch of services (career advisors, resume and job interview prep, free job training, hosting job fairs and more).

Oct 27, 2017
I got three rejections in the same day today, and I feel like fucking crying. I'm so fed up doing this continually and waiting to hear back from people or chasing employment agencies.

I've got a temp job starting on Monday thankfully, and it's at a company I used to work for so I know the work and they're really good people. It'll do for now but the pay is fairly poor and I've accrued debts which I need to start paying off, and I'm just fed up with all this shit.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Had an interview last Thursday that I *thought* went well, but time and stress are naturally taking a toll on me.

This is what is going to take years off my life. I always feel like my interviews go well, but time and lack of clear feedback means I spend days freaking out about everything that might have sunk me. Most of it is probably inconsequential shit that no one but me gave a second thought to, but I will still freak out about it.

Hopefully one day my experience will speak for itself and I will stop feeling hopelessly underqualified for every job I go for.

Dec 4, 2018

Which tech hub? What kind of engineering?

I got three rejections in the same day today, and I feel like fucking crying. I'm so fed up doing this continually and waiting to hear back from people or chasing employment agencies.

I've got a temp job starting on Monday thankfully, and it's at a company I used to work for so I know the work and they're really good people. It'll do for now but the pay is fairly poor and I've accrued debts which I need to start paying off, and I'm just fed up with all this shit.

It sucks. The key is to move on ASAP once you're waiting on them for the next step. Don't wait to hear back from any of them. Move on and work on your next prospect or obtaining your next skill. It's okay to stop at one point and just cry. It will do you go just remind your self to keep going.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah, rejects are terrible for your self esteem.

I applied for around 7 jobs when I started to look for a new position at the beggining of this year and the 3 that I thought were nailed on all turned me down at around the same time. I started to question my interview technique, wondered if I didn't come across as nice as I though I did and just generally hated myself.

A few weeks later and I was in a position where I had 3 jobs offers and even had one of them increase their salary offer when I asked them if I could have a few days to think before I accepted.

Just hang in there and keep plugging away.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I've been spending the last month trying to find an internship for this summer (nov-feb) and I finally got a (verbal) offer 😀. They said they'd courier the contract to me on Monday next week. Out of all the companies I applied for it's the one that seems the most ethical to work for while also having a summer project that is actually related closely with what I'm concentrating on for my PhD, so overall I'm pretty stoked. It's just a shame that it's in a different city so I'll have to have a long distance relationship with my girlfriend for around three months...

I applied for 10 internships in total (I would have applied for more but that's kinda everything that was related to my field in my small country) and got some sort of interview for 4 of them (some of the others just closed so I might also hear back from them I guess). A start-up also hit me up through LinkedIn and interviewed me but I'm not sure the start-up life is right for me at this point in my life.

The first company I interviewed for was a trading company and that shit was nerve wracking. In the span of two weeks I had to do an online numerical test, a 30 min behavioral interview by phone, an online personality test, a 1 hour technical+behavioral interview on Skype, then they flew me to their offices and I had to stay there from 9 am to 9 pm to do a range of interviews, mathematics tests, etc. I also didn't know anything about trading so I had to study the topic between the interviews lol. I didn't end up getting it but at least it made all the other interviews seem like complete walks in the park in comparison. Engineering companies (at least in NZ) seem much more chill.

I have one last 'interview' next week for a full time position for next year. I applied for an internship but they were like 'yeah we think you'd be better suited for this full time opening we have'. I had one interview with them that went very well and recommendations from two friends that work/worked there. I then got a call and was told they wanted me to 'meet the team', but then the calendar event they sent me says 'technical interview' so I'm really not sure what to expect – I should probably email them about it. The job is also for something I've never done before (and I literally told them that in the first interview), so I'm not sure exactly on what they'd test me. I'm watching intro videos on the topic in the meanwhile.

My original plan was also to take next year 'off' to study Japanese full time so in a way I don't really want to take that job, but it's a good company and it'd be great for my career so it's a hard choice to make. I guess I'll see how the next interview goes before wracking my head too hard.

I feel like I'm quite lucky that I got something relatively fast but the whole job hunting process is still mind numbing. The weird application forms, recorded interviews, essays, and behavioral stuff especially.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
I have an interview with the Home Depot. It's going to be a hefty pay cut from what I'm doing now, but I'm using it to really go forward with my CompTIA A+ training since the hours are perfect and without the stress of being in workplace that is dangerously understaffed. Though I used to be completely sold on the idea of going into IT, I wonder if I should get certified to be a Medical Biller just as a plan b.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any way to recover from a nervous interview?

I had a second interview today with a company I have been trying to get with for a while and anxiety got the best of me. It was originally a video interview but my computer was having technical issues so they ended up calling me.

Not sure what it was but I was just rambling with my answers and very nervous. Interview was scheduled for an hour but they ended it abruptly a little over 30 mins. Now I'm miserable and wondering is there any way to come back from this?

Can I specify in a thank you email that I was nervous or anything? Any hope here?

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Not sure what it was but I was just rambling with my answers and very nervous. Interview was scheduled for an hour but they ended it abruptly a little over 30 mins. Now I'm miserable and wondering is there any way to come back from this?

You might not have come across as nervously as you fear - we often exaggerate things in our own minds, and I imagine they are expecting some level of nervousness. They also might've cut it off due to some time restraints. You said there were technical issues, that may have caused a time crunch.

It's possible it went poorly, but it's also possible it went fine.

Can I specify in a thank you email that I was nervous or anything?

I don't think I'd do that if I were you. I don't think that can add anything, it can only detract. I would suggest just being polite and thanking them as normal.

You got to the second interview after all, so there is hope! Good luck!

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
You might not have come across as nervously as you fear - we often exaggerate things in our own minds, and I imagine they are expecting some level of nervousness. They also might've cut it off due to some time restraints. You said there were technical issues, that may have caused a time crunch.

It's possible it went poorly, but it's also possible it went fine.

I don't think I'd do that if I were you. I don't think that can add anything, it can only detract. I would suggest just being polite and thanking them as normal.

You got to the second interview after all, so there is hope! Good luck!

Thanks for the response. I may just send a standard thank you email. I won't mention anything about being nervous but would it make sense though to ask for another opportunity to interview?

Or is that essentially pointless as well?

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Thanks for the response. I may just send a standard thank you email. I won't mention anything about being nervous but would it make sense though to ask for another opportunity to interview?

Or is that essentially pointless as well?

Hm...That I'm not too sure of, so I don't know if I can give any proper advice. Maybe if you're worried about it trying saying something like "I look forward to speaking with you again on this opportunity" so it's sort of in the middle?

I would find some other opinions on that, though. Heh.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

I had a second interview today with a company I have been trying to get with for a while and anxiety got the best of me. It was originally a video interview but my computer was having technical issues so they ended up calling me.

Can I specify in a thank you email that I was nervous or anything? Any hope here?

Definitely do not put in an email that you have concerns about sounding nervous. That's going to come across weak and only make it worse. What could help is sending an email reflecting on the interview and calling out stuff you would have like to make more clear.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
After a clump of four second round in person interviews, I got an offer and accepted. It was my last choice of the four as it's actually a step down in pay, but I needed to get out of this office, and am doing so with only one week notice. Bosses boss is not happy or so I've heard, my anxiety is through the roof but it's only a few more days. Relieved to have something else, really desperately need a change of scenery.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Ever get the "grass is greener" feeling after picking one offer over another. Been in a new role for the past two weeks and I've been feeling like maybe I made the wrong decision. The job is fine and I like the people, but considering location, benefits, and what is now the work I'm doing, I might have chosen poorly.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
If anyone in this thread is interested in working for JPMC as a programmer, send me a message. We are hiring on my team in Chicago, plus other opportunities throughout the state of you are not in Chicago.

Serenity

Mar 3, 2018

Good luck friend. I went through pretty much the exact same thing yesterday. Second interview but nervous and rambling. Not sure if I answered correctly or if my questions were the right kind of inquiries. My resume/experience seems good for the position but I just didn't feel like we connected. Ended after like half an hour.

Oddly enough, I felt the same after the first interview and did not expect a call back, so there's that. But I kinda felt more like the second interview was more of a "last shot" then a "re-confirmation", if that makes sense.

I'll know within two weeks but am not expecting to get an offer. I'll live if I don't but I just want to know because as you said I feel miserable every time I think about it and just want to move on.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
Good luck friend. I went through pretty much the exact same thing yesterday. Second interview but nervous and rambling. Not sure if I answered correctly or if my questions were the right kind of inquiries. My resume/experience seems good for the position but I just didn't feel like we connected. Ended after like half an hour.

Oddly enough, I felt the same after the first interview and did not expect a call back, so there's that. But I kinda felt more like the second interview was more of a "last shot" then a "re-confirmation", if that makes sense.

I'll know within two weeks but am not expecting to get an offer. I'll live if I don't but I just want to know because as you said I feel miserable every time I think about it and just want to move on.

Good luck to you as well. I'm hoping that I am being more critical of myself and exaggerating how bad it actually went. I know thank you emails don't mean anything, and you shouldn't look into them. But I did get a quick response when I sent mine and they said the HR specialist would be in touch. So im keeping my fingers crossed.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing this thread up reminds me how the job of my dreams was ripped right out of my hands two weeks ago...

Everything was set up perfectly and I just needed a one last interview. Already had two interviews and I know my would have been superior because we already worked with each other for years.

Just days before the interview, I was informed that a company restructuring would make it impossible to hire externally.

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I just had my first ever telephone interview... I got really nervous and I don't know why... I'm in my 30s. lol.

She was a nice lady, and actually told me to stop being nervous and that I was giving the "bare minimum" in answers. Inexplicably she said that she'd pass me for the phone interview and I'll have a face-to-face next week. Maybe she just did that out of politeness or something. I dunno ha.

Absolutely not expecting an offer obviously, but any interview experience is good, so something to learn from.