• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I just had my first ever telephone interview... I got really nervous and I don't know why... I'm in my 30s. lol.

She was a nice lady, and actually told me to stop being nervous and that I was giving the "bare minimum" in answers. Inexplicably she said that she'd pass me for the phone interview and I'll have a face-to-face next week. Maybe she just did that out of politeness or something. I dunno ha.

Absolutely not expecting an offer obviously, but any interview experience is good, so something to learn from.

Relax.

They obviously know you're qualified else they wouldn't waste their time. Show them your personality and you'll do great.

Good luck.

Oct 27, 2017
Got an interview request for a job at the Salvation Army that I applied for. I did not know The Salvation Army was a Christian organization. Thinking about not even interviewing for this one. I don't know.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm currently in a holding pattern, waiting to hear back from a job I interviewed for last week. I've been told by an employee there that they tend to notify of rejection within a day or two, but the corporate/HR red tape can result in days of waiting for offer notifications to get through (my father in law helped get his spouse a job there, and it took 2 weeks for her to hear back). It's the perfect job - I'd get paid to write open source software (complete with a GitHub) and work with related teams at other very large tech companies. I don't think they'd ghost me after multiple phone screens and a half day interview that didn't go too badly, but you never know these days.

Oct 27, 2017
Got an interview request for a job at the Salvation Army that I applied for. I did not know The Salvation Army was a Christian organization. Thinking about not even interviewing for this one. I don't know.

I would assume you don't need to be Christian, but just have strong morals and values as well as empathy for the plight of others. I would say don't throw away the interview opportunity because of this though.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
I always get the sweats when I apply for a job that is kinda out of my skillset. I know chances are that they'll just toss my shit into the reject pile but I say fuck it and hope they're down to train me if I'm highly motivated

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
No problem fam, glad to be of help :D

Since you're a fellow Michigander yeah I highly recommend checking out Michigan Works as they offer a bunch of services (career advisors, resume and job interview prep, free job training, hosting job fairs and more).
What would you say to me being interviewed for a job at Michigan Works!, this coming Thursday? haha!

Oct 27, 2017
What would you say to me being interviewed for a job at Michigan Works!, this coming Thursday? haha!

First off congrats! I can only speak for what has helped me but here's a few tips.

This is going to sound obvious but practice the common interview questions. Not only will this prepare you for those questions but also for behavioral questions as well.

Tailor every answer to the job you're interviewing for as much as you can. You may have to stretch the truth a bit but obviously don't lie. Work those transferable skills.

Treat the interview like a conversation but not to casual, it helps to calm the nerves. To go back to my earlier point, when answering questions you don't want to sound like you're reading from a script so practice answering those questions in a conversational tone. At least that's what I do lol.

Google the STAR method if you need help formulating your answers. It stands for situation, task, action, result.

If possible think of 1-2 work situations that you can modify depending on the question. I've been coasting on the same 2 scenarios my entire life just switching the employer's name and a few details. It's lazy but it works for me.

Ask questions even if you know the answer but nothing that's easily Google-able. I usually bring 5 or 6. If they already answered it just skip over the question. I write my questions on the back of my resume.

Apologies if this post is all over the place, I'm typing on the phone lol. I am rooting for you and I am sure you'll do great.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
First off congrats! I can only speak for what has helped me but here's a few tips.

This is going to sound obvious but practice the common interview questions. Not only will this prepare you for those questions but also for behavioral questions as well.

Tailor every answer to the job you're interviewing for as much as you can. You may have to stretch the truth a bit but obviously don't lie. Work those transferable skills.

Treat the interview like a conversation but not to casual, it helps to calm the nerves. To go back to my earlier point, when answering questions you don't want to sound like you're reading from a script so practice answering those questions in a conversational tone. At least that's what I do lol.

Google the STAR method if you need help formulating your answers. It stands for situation, task, action, result.

If possible think of 1-2 work situations that you can modify depending on the question. I've been coasting on the same 2 scenarios my entire life just switching the employer's name and a few details. It's lazy but it works for me.

Ask questions even if you know the answer but nothing that's easily Google-able. I usually bring 5 or 6. If they already answered it just skip over the question. I write my questions on the back of my resume.

Apologies if this post is all over the place, I'm typing on the phone lol. I am rooting for you and I am sure you'll do great.
Awesome advice, and thank you for that! I go to bed early since I've been doing some part-time work with Fedex (I wake up for 4am) so sorry about the late reply. I intend to prepare a lot more for this interview. I've only ever left an interview once knowing I had the job at that was because I had read the room perfectly. Thanks again for the tips!

I just thought it was funny applying for a place that posts and helps people get jobs, then getting an interview! haha~

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome advice, and thank you for that! I go to bed early since I've been doing some part-time work with Fedex (I wake up for 4am) so sorry about the late reply. I intend to prepare a lot more for this interview. I've only ever left an interview once knowing I had the job at that was because I had read the room perfectly. Thanks again for the tips!

I just thought it was funny applying for a place that posts and helps people get jobs, then getting an interview! haha~

No need to apologize it's all good. Oh wow I didn't realize you're actually interviewing for MichWorks itself lol. Yeah that's pretty funny, but hey an opportunity's an opportunity.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I've been in a hiring process for over a year and I finally got my start date. I couldn't be happier.

Never give up on what you want.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on my second day at my new job. I did five interviews between late June and mid-August. Got two offers and three rejections (only one of which even bothered to contact me to let me know I didn't get the job).

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm a photographer right now but I want to do something that helps people. Anything you guys can think of that I can do? If it involves photography that would be ideal. The only thing I can think of is taking photos for pet shelters.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I always get the sweats when I apply for a job that is kinda out of my skillset. I know chances are that they'll just toss my shit into the reject pile but I say fuck it and hope they're down to train me if I'm highly motivated
I feel like this is the best attitude to have if you actually do want the role. I've gotten at least a couple of interviews for positions I just didn't expect to get.
(Of course, this is also a case of whether or not spending time on applications is worth it to you as well)

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hey if anyone here has studied cyber security or has experience in cyber security and you want a job in downtown Toronto please PM me. My HR contact at a major financial institution is looking talented cyber security folks.

Make sure your LinkedIn, resume etc is in order.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a photographer right now but I want to do something that helps people. Anything you guys can think of that I can do? If it involves photography that would be ideal. The only thing I can think of is taking photos for pet shelters.
Real estate people usually need professional pictures. Aerial shots, too, if you have a drone license.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Have decided it is time to look for something new. Sent out my first application yesterday, and have set a goal of one per day. I was going to apply for a corporate job with a certain fast food chain but those punk motherfuckers wanted me to give them my social security number. I said "fuck it" and didn't apply. How common is that now days?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Have decided it is time to look for something new. Sent out my first application yesterday, and have set a goal of one per day. I was going to apply for a corporate job with a certain fast food chain but those punk motherfuckers wanted me to give them my social security number. I said "fuck it" and didn't apply. How common is that now days?
I think at least one application I put in for directly at a retail company's website asked for my ssn in regards to the Work Opportunity Tax Credit and one or two positions I applied for via a recruiter for different companies asked for it as well.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
So after I've had an interview, is it permissible to send an email the next day explaining that I might not have had all of the answers, but I'm very willing to learn these right answers? Not in a begging sort of manner either.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After years of unemployment, I finally got a contractor position. It's great working and earning money but I just keep thinking how I'm going to have to start the whole job search over again in a few months.

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
For my interview yesterday I had to create a short presentation on the USPs of the business I was applying for... but I couldn't get the document to send over Bluetooth to their PC, so I had to do it on my phone, with both interviewers leaning in to look. It was the weirdest thing 😅

Seemed to go okay though, so we'll see :P

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Don't even know how to start finding jobs. I've only worked twice once in fast food in highschool and night stocking in university. Just got my BA for MIS I'm feeling like it's kinda useless. Was having an easy time with Comp Sci programming until I hit a hardwall and had to switch. Problem is that my degree is more like a mix of IT and Business, but a lot of the classes related to databases, admin work from remote environment, etc. Sitting at my moms place and I don't know where to start.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Don't even know how to start finding jobs. I've only worked twice once in fast food in highschool and night stocking in university. Just got my BA for MIS I'm feeling like it's kinda useless. Was having an easy time with Comp Sci programming until I hit a hardwall and had to switch. Problem is that my degree is more like a mix of IT and Business, but a lot of the classes related to databases, admin work from remote environment, etc. Sitting at my moms place and I don't know where to start.
Does your university have a career/job center that could give you career path suggestions? If you are more interested in searching by yourself, have you looked on LinkedIn and/or Indeed?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
What are IT jobs like that say they don't require any experience and only a high school diploma?

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Awaiting back from an urgent care center I applied to. This could be my golden ticket out of retail management hell. The issue is that while my background meets all of the requirements and experience for the position, I feel as if I botched the interview because i was nervous and i had been at my store for 15 hours in a 24 hour span, so very little sleep too.

What are IT jobs like that say they don't require any experience and only a high school diploma?

Help desk for a major company

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
So I'm considering two offers.

Job 1 is closer to home, a 5 minute walk. But the pay is less and from the research I've done, upward mobility isn't great.

Job 2 is a much longer commute, but the initial salary is better and there's a lot more room to move up the ladder. One downside is that they want me to work in two departments simultaneously. The interviewer claimed I'd just be "helping out" and would mainly be working in one department but throughout the interview kept on asking if I was familiar with the work the other department does.

So location and less on the job stress vs money. Ironically by virtue of having to work in two departments, Job 2 would set me up much better in terms of future career prospects.

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm considering two offers.

Job 1 is closer to home, a 5 minute walk. But the pay is less and from the research I've done, upward mobility isn't great.

Job 2 is a much longer commute, but the initial salary is better and there's a lot more room to move up the ladder. One downside is that they want me to work in two departments simultaneously. The interviewer claimed I'd just be "helping out" and would mainly be working in one department but throughout the interview kept on asking if I was familiar with the work the other department does.

So location and less on the job stress vs money. Ironically by virtue of having to work in two departments, Job 2 would set me up much better in terms of future career prospects.

I've just been in a very similar situation to this and I accepted the job closer to home. It's with a smaller company with less room to climb up the ladder, so to speak, but it offers much better work/life balance and they're happy for me to work 4 days a week to allow me to have Fridays off for childcare. It's about a 20 minute drive and I am considering getting my bicycle out of the shed as it's a good incentive to do some exercise.

The other place is for a multinational group which is in the FTSE 100 (the biggest 100 companies in the UK) but the journey there would have taken well over an hour and I'd be based in the office for 5 days a week. It was £4k higher salary but that would have been negated by the 60 mile round trip and road toll I would have had to pay every day too. I really deliberated over this but ultimately I'd like to be closer to home and have more time off with my kids, even if it means I'll likely have to be looking for a new job in a couple of years if I want proper career progression.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
My soul is thoroughly crushed. I haven't even gotten so much as a rejection email these past few weeks.

I hate my current job and just want to get in an agency somewhat related to my field of study, but nothing is changing. I've spruced up my resume, I buckled down and fixed up my LinkedIn, and I've worked on stuff for my portfolio. The only thing I'm missing is actual recent and long-term experience, but I can't get that without a job. I need to network more, but can't due to my current work schedule. So I'm basically stuck and it's frustrating.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
So just a general question. But how much does credit score factor into getting a new job? I know some states don't allow employers to pull your credit score but for those that do, is it a major detriment if you have bad credit?

I am pretty far along in the interview process with one company and was wondering if they ask for a background check, should I mention anything at all about having poor credit? Or offer any type of explanation beforehand of what they may see?

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
So just a general question. But how much does credit score factor into getting a new job? I know some states don't allow employers to pull your credit score but for those that do, is it a major detriment if you have bad credit?

I am pretty far along in the interview process with one company and was wondering if they ask for a background check, should I mention anything at all about having poor credit? Or offer any type of explanation beforehand of what they may see?

Depends almost entirely on what industry you're in. My wife had her credit checked when she was in banking. Never had mine checked, but I'm an engineer.

also....dude no. Don't tell the company that you have bad credit. Don't offer up any info like that.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland

I wouldn't worry about it, and as far as I know, they'll have to inform you if they're going to do a credit pull as part of the background check.

The score is one thing, but a history of debt collections, high debt, failure to pay, etc., can definitely sound alarms to some employers. As LosDaddie said, it makes sense for someone in banking, or any person in an information sensitive position since a bad financial situation may mark you as risk for fraud and bribery.

In my experience banking and insurance jobs will do a credit check and you have to sign off on it first anyway.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

background checks and credit checks are two entirely different things. I wouldn't panic about a background check unless you have a felony.

Credit check they're going to be pretty explicit about making clear that's what it is- and I rarely see these anymore outside of positions related to finance or positions that require a security clearance. The job listing will almost always mention it in advance as well.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I've probably applied to over ten jobs in the last month with no calls back. I need a new job because my current job is destroying me mentally and physically. I work very physical long hours for a verbally abusive boss that doesnt give me breaks or lunches. I've had to cut down hours to try and save myself from a mental breakdown and to look for a new job but after two months and no callbacks, yes, my soul feels especially weak at the moment.

I know I'm good at working. Shit, I'm great at it. Great work ethic and I care about helping and getting the job done right. I cannot get a job for the life of me though. I suck suck suck suck suck suck at finding jobs. I describe it to others as me trying to push my body through a wall. It just feels like it's doing nothing and just going to hurt me in the end. At this point in my life, i literally have a panic attack just looking at an empty online application.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
As someone who actually reviews resumes and does interviews, the old adage of keeping your resume to 1page applies to me. As for format, I like bullet points & such.

Search online for a Cover Letter template and go from there.
Shouldn't you want to know about a potential employee more rather than less? See, this shit is why applying for jobs is soul crushing. The people reading the applications dont actually care about you or your skillsets, just "this is too long...NEXT!"

THIS is why looking for a job crushes my soul, or at least some part of why.

LosDaddie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Shouldn't you want to know about a potential employee more rather than less? See, this shit is why applying for jobs is soul crushing. The people reading the applications dont actually care about you or your skillsets, just "this is too long...NEXT!"

THIS is why looking for a job crushes my soul, or at least some part of why.

My time is valuable. So I just need to know if you have the skills, experience and drive to get the job done.

Leave the fluff out. The resume is just to get your foot in the door. The interview will tell me far more about how you'll fit in the team.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
My time is valuable. So I just need to know if you have the skills, experience and drive to get the job done.

Leave the fluff out. The resume is just to get your foot in the door. The interview will tell me far more about how you'll fit in the team.
Not if you never get to the interview. Remember, you're potentially missing out on overachievers because you cant care to read. It IS your job. That is WHY your time is valuable. If you're not using it to worthwhile extent or you cant handle the full responsibilities of your job, that's not on the person who is accurately describing themselves. The fact that shorter resumes mean your more likely to get an interview just screams to me why society is doomed.

Like, no shit you're going to get dumb as rocks employees when you cant even be bothered to read more than one page of a persons qualifications. That's completely on you as the hiring manager.

So sorry my entire life, education, and work history cant be summed up in a page?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so tired of customer service and I can't break out of it. I want to at least move into "customer success" but the experience isn't there. Feel terrible about not having a career.

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
went to an interview for a marketting assistant. fucking thing turned out to be a self employed, commission only, door to door sales thing. was stuck on an "observation day" miles from home, so couldn't get just leave. scummy wankers.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Applied for a job a couple months ago that I thought was out of my league, but earlier this week I was schedule for an interview happening next week. I'm surprised, since I thought they threw my resume in the trash right away.

went to an interview for a marketting assistant. fucking thing turned out to be a self employed, commission only, door to door sales thing. was stuck on an "observation day" miles from home, so couldn't get just leave. scummy wankers.

I remember applying for a position I found at a career fair for a "financial services" company. Everything seemed legit, but after reading about it, turns out it's kind of a pyramid scheme thing where they place a heavy emphasis on their employees to pulling in their friends and family as new clients and cold calling people. Felt pretty much like a glorified "door to door" sales position. I declined the interview.

LosDaddie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Not if you never get to the interview. Remember, you're potentially missing out on overachievers because you cant care to read. It IS your job. That is WHY your time is valuable. If you're not using it to worthwhile extent or you cant handle the full responsibilities of your job, that's not on the person who is accurately describing themselves. The fact that shorter resumes mean your more likely to get an interview just screams to me why society is doomed.

Like, no shit you're going to get dumb as rocks employees when you cant even be bothered to read more than one page of a persons qualifications. That's completely on you as the hiring manager.

So sorry my entire life, education, and work history cant be summed up in a page?

Thats the rub, huh? Have you ever been tasked to review resumes?

I don't need to know about your entire life on a resume.
Tailor your resume to each job you apply to.
List the specific skills & experience applicable to the job position.
List the certificates you've earned.

I'm an Electrical PE. So the positions that I need to fill on my team have a specific skillset.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm an Electrical PE. So the positions that I need to fill on my team have a specific skillset.
Nvm. I was an electrician for a bit. You're looking for a skillset. If they dont have that, a long resume isn't going to change that and yes, what skills you need for that profession can be summed up in a single page.

I apologize for my antagonistic response, I'm just tired of not being able to even get simple jobs because my work history is now over 20 years long and retail hiring managers cant be asked to read about whether or not I know how to read.

LosDaddie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Nvm. I was an electrician for a bit. You're looking for a skillset. If they dont have that, a long resume isn't going to change that and yes, what skills you need for that profession can be summed up in a single page.

I apologize for my antagonistic response, I'm just tired of not being able to even get simple jobs because my work history is now over 20 years long and retail hiring managers cant be asked to read about whether or not I know how to read.

All good.
I know that job hunting is frustrating. I wish you the best of luck.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Then what is the fucking point of the resume in the first place? Do your job, asshole.
So, a few things.

1. That isn't my job anymore
2. A winning attitude like yours? It probably isn't your resume that's holding you back
3. LinkedIn exists. Put a link to that on your resume and dump all your experience there. Your resume should be a very clean summary of your most relevant highlights, which is why it should be only one page. You want to expect that the person reviewing your resume isn't going to spend more than a frefewe seconds on it because they have other shit to do (whether that be other resumes or their actual job duties or just going to lunch or whatever). They can go to LinkedIn if they want to dig in deeper

And to be clear, turn off doesn't mean disqualifier.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
So, a few things.

1. That isn't my job anymore
2. A winning attitude like yours? It probably isn't your resume that's holding you back
3. LinkedIn exists. Put a link to that on your resume and dump all your experience there. Your resume should be a very clean summary of your most relevant highlights, which is why it should be only one page. You want to expect that the person reviewing your resume isn't going to spend more than a frefewe seconds on it because they have other shit to do (whether that be other resumes or their actual job duties or just going to lunch or whatever). They can go to LinkedIn if they want to dig in deeper

And to be clear, turn off doesn't mean disqualifier.
1. Good.
2. My attitude is the result of dealing with people like you for over 20 years.
3. You either want a resume that describes me or you dont. The layers and distractions to the hiring process just keep the bureaucratic elements even more impotent and useless, ie, less gets done, less people get hired that should be. Asking for more superfluous elements isnt going to change the fact that you're too lazy to read through a resume when it was your job.