• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
I got a job offer from a startup company and I don't know if I should take it. I do but at the same time this means moving out from my parents' house since I work from home. Then again at my age, maybe that's something I need to do.

Does the start up seem to be in a good space for growth? You can move up much faster in growing small companies than established ones so it may be worth going for. The downside is that a lot of start ups falter and you wind up either laid off or having to do a ton of work because they can't afford proper staff.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Yeah, for sure. For the majority of the time I've worked for this company I have worked from home and I love that I get to work from home, but I hate telemarketing, which is what I do.

This is the NY area which means harsh winters and dependence on MTA. Also, I'm almost 30 years old, and even though I try to help my parents out financially, I should probably live on my own.

Since you say you don't like what you're doing for your current job, does the new one offer a decent pay increase and seem to provide skill development in an industry that you're interested in? As a start up, can you do any research to see how the business is doing? In general, I'd say go for it, but at least start looking at places to live so you can try budgeting accordingly and planning your commute.

I was offered a job out of college two hours away in another state, so I had no choice but to move out and relocate, otherwise the commute would be unbearable. I spent the few months leading up to my start date checking out places, and the freedom of living on my own was a great feeling.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how long ago I posted in this thread, but the bullshit is almost at an end. Assuming I pass the background checks and all that, which I don't see why I wouldn't, Almighty here got themselves their best job yet. Months of looking and I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Thought I'd share my story as I had been looking for a job since January of this year. I probably applied for about 50 jobs or so, various places but a lot of state jobs. I maybe heard back from 8 or so after apparent rejection. In June I was crushed because the job I wanted, which involved social work, I didn't get even with a Master's degree in psychology. It was more then 50 miles away so that might have been what did me in.

Nobody was hiring me, but my work history was somewhat lacking in large part because I did a lot of my own things such as selling on ebay and the like.

Anyway, I applied for the same job again, this time in a city closer, and I got it this month. I'm in my second week of training now. So, near 11 months it took of filling out countless applications and probably 20 interviews that nearly always I never even heard back from.

I guess, just don't give up is what I'd say if you think you have the qualifications. Weird thing is, I was the only person they hired for that office. Other offices hired like 3-4 people, this office, just me. Sometimes, you just have to wait for the perfect opportunity, for you, in that you are what they need at that moment.

Last edited:

newdivide

Oct 7, 2019
I'm having a hard time getting to a simple internship in digital marketing. The thing is, I recently graduated on audiovisual and multimedia communication, and just now I found that digital marketing is the thing that I want to focus on. I'm getting a lot of official free certifications to learn and boost chances of getting hired but I'm not having any luck. Not even a simple response.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Does the start up seem to be in a good space for growth? You can move up much faster in growing small companies than established ones so it may be worth going for. The downside is that a lot of start ups falter and you wind up either laid off or having to do a ton of work because they can't afford proper staff.
The company is based in Israel, and in New York there are about 12 employees. The startup has been around since 2015 and even during the interview they talked about how a startup can either grow or get destroyed.
Since you say you don't like what you're doing for your current job, does the new one offer a decent pay increase and seem to provide skill development in an industry that you're interested in? As a start up, can you do any research to see how the business is doing? In general, I'd say go for it, but at least start looking at places to live so you can try budgeting accordingly and planning your commute.

I was offered a job out of college two hours away in another state, so I had no choice but to move out and relocate, otherwise the commute would be unbearable. I spent the few months leading up to my start date checking out places, and the freedom of living on my own was a great feeling.
I usually try to look at Glassdoor but this company doesn't even have any reviews there. As far as pay goes, at the company I'm at now I have a base salary + OT + commission as it's essentially cold calling sales, but at this new job it's not sales but the salary is significantly higher than my current base. As far as the industry goes, it is different from any other industry I've worked in which was my biggest concern but they said they aren't concerned about that. I hate my current job but I love working from home, that's the dilemma I guess. But I also can't be living with my folks forever, how am I ever gonna fully mature and be an adult

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
The company is based in Israel, and in New York there are about 12 employees. The startup has been around since 2015 and even during the interview they talked about how a startup can either grow or get destroyed.

I usually try to look at Glassdoor but this company doesn't even have any reviews there. As far as pay goes, at the company I'm at now I have a base salary + OT + commission as it's essentially cold calling sales, but at this new job it's not sales but the salary is significantly higher than my current base. As far as the industry goes, it is different from any other industry I've worked in which was my biggest concern but they said they aren't concerned about that. I hate my current job but I love working from home, that's the dilemma I guess. But I also can't be living with my folks forever, how am I ever gonna fully mature and be an adult

Well shit. Your current job is cold calling for sales? Yeah, take the risk and try out the new gig!

Serious answer, no longer working from home is a bummer, but being complacent with a job that offers no skill development or growth will do you no favors. They're offering you a good pay increase, and have been around for 4 years, so they must be doing decently enough so far. Take the job, make some money, and experience freedom.

Last edited:

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Well shit. Your current job is cold calling for sales? Yeah, take the risk and try out the new gig!

Serious answer, no longer working from home is a bummer, but being complacent with a job that offers no skill development or growth will do you no favors. Take the job, make some money, and experience freedom.
Lol yeah it's cold calling and it's treated as a sales job but it's not exactly "sales" because I'm cold calling folks to tell them about a mental health service that's already fully covered by their health insurance. There are still quotas and commission and being treated like a 2nd rate employee despite being a top performer, working from home and the like, yeah I hate it now.

I asked if I could take some to think about the offer, how long do you think they'll wait? 24 hours? This is a holiday week so is Monday too long to get back to them?

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Lol yeah it's cold calling and it's treated as a sales job but it's not exactly "sales" because I'm cold calling folks to tell them about a mental health service that's already fully covered by their health insurance. There are still quotas and commission and being treated like a 2nd rate employee despite being a top performer, working from home and the like, yeah I hate it now.

I asked if I could take some to think about the offer, how long do you think they'll wait? 24 hours? This is a holiday week so is Monday too long to get back to them?

Did they request an answer by a certain date? A few days is usually fine, and for a holiday weekend in the US, I wouldn't expect many people to be working until Monday, but I'm not sure how that place is since you said the company is based in Israel. If you're confident in your decision to move forward with them, contact them sooner.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Did they request an answer by a certain date? A few days is usually fine, and for a holiday weekend in the US, I wouldn't expect many people to be working until Monday, but I'm not sure how that place is since you said the company is based in Israel. If you're confident in your decision to move forward with them, contact them sooner.
I just asked them if I could have some time to think about it without specifying and they said yeah, and to reach out if I had any questions/concerns. So I'm wondering now if getting back to them by Monday is too late

Oct 27, 2017
Did final interview for a job I'd really like last Monday. Still haven't heard back. I'm fine where I am, it's not a disaster if I don't get it, but the wait is killing me. Would be a huge opportunity if I did though, nice pay rise and a company with lots of teams/positions I could potentially move into down the line.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I think my interview went great today! Was a pretty intense hour and a half interview.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I recently interviewed for a job that would have been 100% perfect for me. I was qualified for it. I would have made good money and worked from home. I did 3 rounds of interviews and Apparently it came down to me and another person -and they went with the other person. I won't lie it hurts a lot. I know it's not supposed to be taken personally and I'm not supposed to let it get to me, but it did. I'm massively devastated by it.

Also-odd story. Twitch is hiring for a role that I'm 100% qualified for. It's in San Francisco and the job description matches my history perfectly. I apply and I'm immediately turned down-I get the generic "we had a lot of applicants for this job and went with another candidate." The thing is-they keep posting the same job posting over and over again. Almost like every 3 weeks. Every time they post it, I apply-I'm immediately disqualified and then they post it again in a few weeks. What the hell is going on there?

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Wellll, just handed my one month notice in, so I'm probably going to be in this thread early next year... :|

Would have been ideal to have another job lined up, but the stress took its toll and I just need to get out ASAP before I flip a table.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
So... I'm nearly 30, living with my parents and just wanna rant for a sec if it's all right.

Is it just me or is it obscenely difficult to get a retail job? Been sending out dozens of applications every so often since May and have just had no luck. Most I've been able to get are 3 interviews, one of which I was only able to get through nepotism, and nothing more. I've not been fruitlessly job hunting as long as others but, even so, it certainly hasn't been doing my health any favors. I had a fairly detailed resume that I've dumbed down somewhat and now I'm wondering if I should dumb it down even further, though I assume that would likely be a bad idea. Applying for jobs in the field I studied in school proved to be immensely foolish so I gave up completely on that hoping I'd be able to get something in retail this year though, now, it seems like that's not a viable option either.

I've been unemployed since May 2018 (so I could focus on school) and, outside of a tiny bit of freelance, my resume does reflect that which I'd guess is crushing my chances of getting a callback/offer. Though I suppose having no retail experience would also hurt as well, especially when considering my age (though maybe that bit is just in my head). I just want a basic position that I can sit at for the next 5+ years :\

Roge_NES

Feb 18, 2018
Had an interview for Anthem blue cross almost a month ago and I start their training on monday. We'll see how it goes.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I've been trying to make a career change and was sort of resigned to going back to school in January. Randomly heard back from one place I applied to, had three interviews (and an online technical assessment) and was offered the position, which is exciting. I don't start till mid-December so I'm holding my breath to make sure everything works out (they seem to have been fine with my references). Kinda freaky.

In general, I can't think of much that sucks more than trying to find a job. One of my friends has been more or less stuck for years.

I recently interviewed for a job that would have been 100% perfect for me. I was qualified for it. I would have made good money and worked from home. I did 3 rounds of interviews and Apparently it came down to me and another person -and they went with the other person. I won't lie it hurts a lot. I know it's not supposed to be taken personally and I'm not supposed to let it get to me, but it did. I'm massively devastated by it.

Also-odd story. Twitch is hiring for a role that I'm 100% qualified for. It's in San Francisco and the job description matches my history perfectly. I apply and I'm immediately turned down-I get the generic "we had a lot of applicants for this job and went with another candidate." The thing is-they keep posting the same job posting over and over again. Almost like every 3 weeks. Every time they post it, I apply-I'm immediately disqualified and then they post it again in a few weeks. What the hell is going on there?
I know the feeling. A few years back I was looking for a job and ended up being the second choice at two jobs, neither worked out. Definitely sucked.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I'm down as hell right now. Got a call 20 minutes before an interview telling me I didn't get the job I was sure I was going to land. Told me that I was close and definitely should try to apply for more jobs, which in turn totally made me botch the interview I was headed to. Expecting a call this week, but the outlook isn't positive. My current work-environment is toxic as hell (12 out of 20 something people have left). Goddamn it, was really hoping I'd be able to quit this week...

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I have an interesting conundrum. I recently applied for a job that is located in downtown SF. I had a successful phone screening and then a successful phone interview with the hiring manager. They want me to come in for a 3 hour interview which is tomorrow. The problem is, the hiring manager mentioned that they plan on moving buildings next year and I found out that they will be moving to Potrero Hill in SF which is definitely not convenient for me to commute to. Now what do I do? I'm not planning to ghost the interview, but the reason I applied for that job was partly based on location-if the role posted was going to be in Potrero Hill I would have never applied for it.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I have an interesting conundrum. I recently applied for a job that is located in downtown SF. I had a successful phone screening and then a successful phone interview with the hiring manager. They want me to come in for a 3 hour interview which is tomorrow. The problem is, the hiring manager mentioned that they plan on moving buildings next year and I found out that they will be moving to Potrero Hill in SF which is definitely not convenient for me to commute to. Now what do I do? I'm not planning to ghost the interview, but the reason I applied for that job was partly based on location-if the role posted was going to be in Potrero Hill I would have never applied for it.

Well first before anything ask them if your position would be in the new building, maybe the entire company isn't moving. If it would be, just let them know that their new location isn't suitable for you to commute to and so cancel the interview (assuming you definitely cannot commute there). Unfortunate situation though.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Should I be worried about an over-enthusiastic recruiter? I've worked with them countless times but I've never seen one proclaim how I'd be perfect for a role and how the hiring manager loved my resume. Feels like he's overselling me but he's been doing this for 15 years.

Nonetheless I've scored an interview next week but I'm trying not to get overconfident. It would be a step up for me in all aspects except commute time but I've been unemployed for months, depressed and pissed broke so this is my one bright spot for me.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I've been offered the position for fraud analyst for a huge company! Literally a dream job from I've gathered and I'm so excited.

Just need the team to show me the positions of the microwaves.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the mid of an selection process for an position as an intern and it's pretty different so far. Instead of taking a interview they have you and the other prospects have a 1-week course through their main software that's used in the company, after that they will start the elimination process.

There are some smart people there with me competing for the job but I'm trying my hardest and showing passion. I really want this and anxiety is a bitch.

Oct 27, 2017
I've applied for a data analyst contract position which is probably above my skillset and it's only 3 months (with the possibility of extension) but it's really fucking good pay and I wrote out a big word document and sent it to the job agency of how my experience lines up to the mandatory requirements. Were I to get it I'd have to do some reading up over the Christmas break and work really hard once I get there, but I'm also in quite a lot debt so I need a well-paying job to help get out of this rut. At the moment I'm working a temporary position and although I really like the company the pay isn't very good.

I've got a couple of other things on the back burner, but if none of these work out I think I'm going to do a couple of courses on Udemy and get certified as a Salesforce Administrator in the new year.

I got the promotion I wanted.... I am going to relocate to Dallas, Texas. Took me 6 months of internal applications in my company to get it.

Good for you. How will relocating work for you - got a family or any dependents who will need to come to, or is it just you?

Last edited:

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
March is going to make a year since I've been unemployed. Still haven't found a job despite hundreds of applications and a handful of interviews. About ready to give up. Sigh

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I hate my current job and have been applying for months and months to get a better job closer to the city with no luck. Today I just got my insulting raise after my pitiful bonus from last week.

I actually tried to fight the raise today with the office manager/HR but no budging. Fuck this shit.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
So what the fuck at this:

A job opened up in my company last Friday. It's in my hometown, and if I got it, I'd be working on exactly the type of stuff I've been waiting five years to work on, so needless to say I was excited when I saw it. I let my supervisor know I was interested, and applied for it this past Monday.

Tonight, the job's disappeared from our internal listings, Indeed, LinkedIn...everything. It was only posted for a week! And I didn't even get an email saying it's been filled (which I've gotten before at other companies where I applied internally). Why would they only post a job for a week? I guess they just promoted someone from within or something? I'm pretty baffled. I can't stand my current job, and might end up just quitting within the next few weeks because it gives me anxiety attacks. I was really hoping this was my ticket out. :(

kidtamagotchi

Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys, fellow job seeker here! I hope someone can give me an idea if this is a legit job, or if I should look elsewhere...

Due to my health, I should not do manual labor anymore and working call centers is not the best option (I can do it, but if I get a cold, I will not be able to talk at all without coughing up a storm. This usually lasts 3 to five weeks.) So I looked for a job doing proofreading.

I found a listing for a proofreading job for Grammarly through Proofit. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can this listing be trusted (I found it on Google Job listings)? Any help would be appreciated!

moneywoes

Nov 17, 2017
Hi guys, fellow job seeker here! I hope someone can give me an idea if this is a legit job, or if I should look elsewhere...

Due to my health, I should not do manual labor anymore and working call centers is not the best option (I can do it, but if I get a cold, I will not be able to talk at all without coughing up a storm. This usually lasts 3 to five weeks.) So I looked for a job doing proofreading.

I found a listing for a proofreading job for Grammarly through Proofit. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can this listing be trusted (I found it on Google Job listings)? Any help would be appreciated!

Grammarly is a legit company so I think it would be legit. Also, they need contractors to fix their algorithm so I'm certain it's a real opportunity.

Can anyone comment if this is a bad approach to contacting people for jobs?

I've been sending requests on linkedin with a short intro for example:

Hi ,

I recently saw posting for position
. Best seen on my personal site at , I'm a recent graduate with experience building full stack React apps from start to finish.

I would love to help forward the company's mission.

Sincerely,

Oct 27, 2017
Had a telephone interview earlier, and it was for a role I was really excited about and felt I was a pretty good match for (albeit punching slightly above my weight) going by the job description. Anyway, about 4 minutes into the phonecall it because completely apparent that this was way more technical than outlined and he wanted me to have a good understanding of programming languages and how cloud platforms operate - very little of which was mentioned at all in the job spec. Granted it was a job paying £300+ per day, but I fucking spent ages preparing and I wish I hadn't wasted so much goddamn time on it. He asked me a bunch of questions about the role and I was embarrassed because I could barely answer any of them.

And then, about 30 minutes later I get an email from a recruiter who I've been on the phone to a lot over the past week and he tells me that another application we put through had fallen flat, because I didn't quite have as much marketing experience as they were looking for. Another one I'd put a lot of effort into, writing up my experience vs. the job spec and doing some reading up on the stuff I was less familiar with. I felt like crying after these two happened, although I've calmed down now.

I've got a job now at a really nice place and I get on really well with most of the team, but it's just not enough pay and I have some debts I need to start paying back.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I need help.

I finally got my second degree last month, and I have been essentially rapid-firing applications since then. I have only received five rejection emails, I have not even received offers for interviews. I'm beginning to suspect the issue might lie in my resume--even though I've had several people tell me it looks as good as it can get for someone in my position.

I realize this didn't go very well the last time somebody asked this, but if somebody in this department could look over my resume, and give me some feedback, I would greatly appreciate it.

I will even take advice besides the resume, such as what to do to make myself look more marketable (can't take anymore classes, I literally have no more money)--I'm trying to land an entry-level SOC Analyst position; I am in the U.S., I will relocate anywhere within the country (can't do California) if I have to.

I know these things take time, but I am in a desperate situation--I won't go into my life's story but I need to start working now.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
I have been told I should get a degree. I worked my way up in a company without one and have several years doing IT and Marketing work for them but after I got laid off last year (company sold off large assets) I have applied for like 90 jobs and have had 2 interviews. Was told by an advisor I should bite the bullet and invest in a degree to backup the experience. Now at 30 (soon 31) I am looking at the prospects of going to University lol. fml

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Started my new position Monday. It's literally a dream job at a dream company. I keep falling upwards.

Michilin

Nov 14, 2017
I applied for a position early December and already had two interviews through Hangouts, one with HR and the other with the head of the department (it was scheduled with the team manager but I got this surprise). The second interview was on Dec 20, since then we had two very short weeks where a lot of people took days off, so I waited until Jan 3 and sent to HR a follow-up email with no response until now.

I was thinking in contacting the manager of the team on Linkedin since he would be the last person for me to interview with or should I send another follow-up to HR tomorrow/next friday?

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I turned down a job at a company about 6 months ago because I felt that I was getting jerked around by the hiring process (just super disorganized on multiple levels, they took forever to respond to me between each interview stage, etc.). The other day the hiring manager reached out to me and apologized for that experience and asked me if I'd consider another offer...kind of an interesting proposition. Guess we'll see with the salary they come back with this time.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ive filled out so many applications in the last month. Maybe dozens. Only two had the decency to email me back. Another bailed because they couldnt help me get a work visa.

Looks like i may have to leave the country. So im starting to send applications back home. Something i didnt want to do at all.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
Is this where we talk about how awful it is to apply for jobs? Because right now I am in the thick of it while planning a wedding. Lord, help me.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I'm back with you guys after two years at my current jobs. They changed our comp plan to reduce our bonuses significantly which will lead to a 7500-17500 pay cut for me next year. *sigh* I hate looking for fucking jobs!

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
I've had the same job for close to 7 years now and realize that I'm basically basically at a complete dead end in terms of the career progression; also underpaid compared to peers. So, started looking for a new job and I have to say, I feel basically unqualified to do anything other than what I'm currently doing :\

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had the same job for close to 7 years now and realize that I'm basically basically at a complete dead end in terms of the career progression; also underpaid compared to peers. So, started looking for a new job and I have to say, I feel basically unqualified to do anything other than what I'm currently doing :\
What do you do?