• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, they fired my boss, his boss, and the project manager in my IT department. They said it was a layoff for restructuring, but I know the truth. They just hired a new VP of IT this fall. The people just fired didn't kiss his ass and even went to HR about him, and all three were let go. It really hurts. I know in my heart that my boss will be the best boss I've ever had. At least I had 4 years with him.

So, that means I will start applying for jobs again. I can't stand my new supervisor and I want to punch the VP of IT. Fucking napoleon complex micropenis fuck. I'm trying to stay calm so I can find a job before I get myself fired. I also don't want to take the first job that comes along.

More of my miserable diaries to come during my 2020 job hunt.

Last edited:

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm working on completely re-hauling my resume and make it 1-2 pages max, preferably a one-page. I've worked a lot of jobs with a lot of different experience, and I'm at a point where I'm trimming the fat. I'm mostly applying for creative jobs (graphic design, photography, videography) but I've been leaving my ~8 years of retail management experience on my resume every time (just one job) and I wonder if it hurts me or not. Every other job I list is creative-based in some way, but I feel like mentioning that I managed a team, payroll, marketing, etc. in a retail space for that long is a positive, but the actual experience may not be relevant to the jobs I'm looking for in particular. I haven't been getting any bites on the past 20 or so jobs I've applied for, so I feel like I may be doing something wrong.

TheRightDeal

Oct 27, 2017
My company went through a restructuring recently and me and about 30 other people lost our jobs. I quickly updated my resume and LinkedIn and have taken advantage of a career transition group my last job hired for us poor suckers. They redid my resume and I'm not sure I like it? I had a nice, slim one page look that I was happy with and they turned it into a pretty wordy two-page. They're the experts and I guess I didn't get any bites with my version so we'll see how it goes.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Well after an on & off job search that led to little results in May-December of last year, had all of three phone interviews, I got four phone interview/screener requests in a two day span. They all want to speak tomorrow or Friday so will be interesting trying to hide all of them at work, but good problem to have though.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I filled out about 24 applications via LinkedIn this weekend. So far, I've had 4 responses. I have an in person interview with recruiter tomorrow, and possibly an in person interview with VP of IT and HR on Friday or Monday with another company, after a 30 minute interview with the VP of IT today. The one that I really want is the info sec. That's my dream, and they also are within my salary range. I would love to find something by the end of this month so I can get out of my current job with my dignity and sanity.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I turned down a job at a company about 6 months ago because I felt that I was getting jerked around by the hiring process (just super disorganized on multiple levels, they took forever to respond to me between each interview stage, etc.). The other day the hiring manager reached out to me and apologized for that experience and asked me if I'd consider another offer...kind of an interesting proposition. Guess we'll see with the salary they come back with this time.

I'm in a similar boat. They've just reached out to me for a "second" interview, which in reality is my third fucking interview. I told them that date wouldn't work and offered alternatives, no response for two days then I email again checking whether my dates were good and they finally answer back with a date.

If this "interview" isn't a goddamn offer then I feel done with these disorganized assholes. I've interviewed for real, big money firms and none have had their hiring process like this. Problem is I hate my current job with a passion and have nothing else biting right now.

Even worse is the job is about to get more stressful and terrible since a bunch of lower staff are leaving, this place pays garbage and no one stays past a year. That means more work and chaos in the office. It's far past time for me to bounce yet no offers. Shit, I know it's time after fighting with the new office manager over the pathetic raises given out.

At worst, they give me this job and I can bounce to some place better in a few months.

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I'm working on completely re-hauling my resume and make it 1-2 pages max, preferably a one-page. I've worked a lot of jobs with a lot of different experience, and I'm at a point where I'm trimming the fat. I'm mostly applying for creative jobs (graphic design, photography, videography) but I've been leaving my ~8 years of retail management experience on my resume every time (just one job) and I wonder if it hurts me or not. Every other job I list is creative-based in some way, but I feel like mentioning that I managed a team, payroll, marketing, etc. in a retail space for that long is a positive, but the actual experience may not be relevant to the jobs I'm looking for in particular. I haven't been getting any bites on the past 20 or so jobs I've applied for, so I feel like I may be doing something wrong.
The advice I've heard from managers is if the experience is related to the job spec, you should include it. So if it's a management position at a studio, then it would make sense to have a line or two about the type of team you managed and how you managed them. But if there isn't anything related to that work, then it's not really worth listing it and going for brevity.
I think maybe the exception is if leaving something off would create a gap (if you're listing your work chronologically), in which case you may just want to list it anyway or position your resume so that you can highlight projects that you've done first (assuming the unrelated experience is a "pay your bills" job).

But there may also be something domain specific that you're not including, which is where you may want to have someone working in the field take a look at your resume.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Well of the four phone interviews I had the last two days results are: One call with hiring manager next week, one in-person interview next week, One will hear back next week if I go on to speak with the hiring manager, and one outright no.

I'd consider that a success after not having any interviews for almost 8 months.

Oct 27, 2017
Just applied to my dream job. I'm slightly under qualified, so I probably won't get it, but it's nice to put myself out there instead of just giving up without trying.

Gazele

Oct 25, 2017
Well after almost 3 years I'm going back into this process. Still have my job but I'm super unhappy.

Doing a lot of leetcode but as someone without a CS background it's not always intuitive to me.

Hoping to get something this spring but we'll see

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
My company went through a restructuring recently and me and about 30 other people lost our jobs. I quickly updated my resume and LinkedIn and have taken advantage of a career transition group my last job hired for us poor suckers. They redid my resume and I'm not sure I like it? I had a nice, slim one page look that I was happy with and they turned it into a pretty wordy two-page. They're the experts and I guess I didn't get any bites with my version so we'll see how it goes.
It really depends on what the company does with the resume. A common tactic is to fill your resume with words for companies that use software to look through the resume for certain keywords. Your old method is probably better for smaller companies that actually look at the resume.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Looking for my second job ever rn. I got the first one in college after one interview, and it's been nearly 5 years (most of that part time, remote). So I've never really had to do the whole interview process before and it's... hard. I'm looking for a step up in my career that I know I can do, but most places require 3-5 years experience in that role. Like... people have to start somewhere??? How can they all expect 5 years experience???

I guess I'm lucky though, reading through many of these responses and how long it's taken many of you. It's been about a month of searching so far and I've had 5 or so interviews and one on site.

Cap10Deku

Dec 2, 2017
Seattle, Wa
Looking for my second job ever rn. I got the first one in college after one interview, and it's been nearly 5 years (most of that part time, remote). So I've never really had to do the whole interview process before and it's... hard. I'm looking for a step up in my career that I know I can do, but most places require 3-5 years experience in that role. Like... people have to start somewhere??? How can they all expect 5 years experience???

I guess I'm lucky though, reading through many of these responses and how long it's taken many of you. It's been about a month of searching so far and I've had 5 or so interviews and one on site.

After 8 months of being let go and the constant job hunting I was finally got a job offer. This process has been so much harder mentally and emotionally. Though not my second job ever this will be the first time having a job outside of the company that I worked for since high school. Thankfully I was able to establish good experiences and though after lowering my expectations for salary, benefits, and work/life balance; I found this position for a company opening up a new building in our area. Where as I honestly expected to find a new job way below what I made prior, I was offered 10k above my previous base salary plus a M-F / 7-4 gig. For me (coming from a retail company), this is a dream for me.

I know everyone says it all the time; but keep at it. When you're unemployed, applying to new jobs IS your job. I am lucky I have my wife who kept my spirits up during all the countless 1st and 2nd interviews that went no where in the last 8 months.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
This was "required" on a job posting I was looking at:
  • 3 work references with their contact information; at least one reference should be from a supervisor
What is the purpose of a reference from a supervisor? Like I'm going up to my boss and saying, "Hey Bill, need you to put in a good word for me at my next job."

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Also, why are so many job/career oriented sites essentially bloated, unintuitive junk? I can barely browse glassdoor (it seems to work poorly on Firefox, had to switch to Chrome) and while Linkedin lets you save jobs it's impossible to ever find them again. Even the career sites are working against you, lol.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Been trying for the last year off-on to find something. I've had one interview with a small company that essentially wanted someone to come in and fix everything.

Are there places I should be looking besides LinkedIn, Indeed and ZipRecruiter? My background is in journalism but I've worked in marketing and currently in customer service/training.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
This was "required" on a job posting I was looking at:
  • 3 work references with their contact information; at least one reference should be from a supervisor
What is the purpose of a reference from a supervisor? Like I'm going up to my boss and saying, "Hey Bill, need you to put in a good word for me at my next job."

Generally they mean a past supervisor.

Been trying for the last year off-on to find something. I've had one interview with a small company that essentially wanted someone to come in and fix everything.

Are there places I should be looking besides LinkedIn, Indeed and ZipRecruiter? My background is in journalism but I've worked in marketing and currently in customer service/training.

If you live in a city there should be some kind of unemployment office. They get job referrals sometimes and provide some basic counseling services as to who is hiring.

Jul 9, 2019

Look up companies in your city/area that are big enough to have their own marketing or customer service departments. Then check their own websites for job postings. Some might not use job posting sites or not the ones you are using. Definitely helped me to find jobs that weren't posted anywhere else.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Generally they mean a past supervisor.

I get that part, I was just making light. I guess to me I just find the idea of needing a supervisor reference a bit absurd. I mean, presumably they're past supervisors because you left for a different job or they did likewise. It's like if you had to get a reference from your ex-girlfriend before you asked a new girl out on a date, lol.

Oct 28, 2017
bvgbxlordrc41ahj0w.jpg

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
Have my first interview since being fired in December next Tuesday. It's at a smaller video game company. The position is 50/50 split between Japanese translation and production type stuff. The catch is that, if I do get the job, I'd have to move to one of the most expensive cities in Canada. The current city I live in is fairly affordable, and I only pay $750 rent—albeit I live with a roommate. The company has pretty negative reviews on Glassdoor, too. I guess I'll just do the interview and play it by ear. The plus would be that I could work at this company, get experience, then move to a better video game company down the road. There are two other video game companies in that city that I know firsthand have great work conditions/salary.

MoonScented

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After 8 months of being let go and the constant job hunting I was finally got a job offer. This process has been so much harder mentally and emotionally. Though not my second job ever this will be the first time having a job outside of the company that I worked for since high school. Thankfully I was able to establish good experiences and though after lowering my expectations for salary, benefits, and work/life balance; I found this position for a company opening up a new building in our area. Where as I honestly expected to find a new job way below what I made prior, I was offered 10k above my previous base salary plus a M-F / 7-4 gig. For me (coming from a retail company), this is a dream for me.

I know everyone says it all the time; but keep at it. When you're unemployed, applying to new jobs IS your job. I am lucky I have my wife who kept my spirits up during all the countless 1st and 2nd interviews that went no where in the last 8 months.

I 100% feel you on it being mentally & emotionally destroying. However, my fiancé cheated on me in October after 7 years together, so I had no choice but to leave that relationship. Completely blindsided me.

I'm hanging on by a thread right now. I just need a job to keep me going and each day of applying to these faceless online sites is as the OP says, "soul-crushing."

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Have my first interview since being fired in December next Tuesday. It's at a smaller video game company. The position is 50/50 split between Japanese translation and production type stuff. The catch is that, if I do get the job, I'd have to move to one of the most expensive cities in Canada. The current city I live in is fairly affordable, and I only pay $750 rent—albeit I live with a roommate. The company has pretty negative reviews on Glassdoor, too. I guess I'll just do the interview and play it by ear. The plus would be that I could work at this company, get experience, then move to a better video game company down the road. There are two other video game companies in that city that I know firsthand have great work conditions/salary.
Out of curiosity, which city? I'm out in Vancouver, and yeah, is pricey.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I just BOMBED in a phone interview. I rambled and sounded like an idiot the whole time. It didn't help that the people on the call sounded like they didn't even want to be there. It makes you feel like you're just wasting your time and theirs. Fucking garbage.

Oct 27, 2017
I had an interview scheduled for next week and today they sent me an email saying they're passing, the criteria for the position has changed. Trashy feeling.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
I've been unemployed for three weeks now after being bullied out of my previous position. (The psyche can only take threats of being fired so many times in as many days.) Now, I can't even find a part-time position in the city I moved to for the job I quit.

I applied to a Barnes and Noble job and was told my experience wasn't relevant, despite having ten years of retail experience at a video rental store...

Idk, in a way I've kind of given up. I think it's pretty inevitable that I'll have to move back to North Dakota and back in with my parents the moment the little bit of money I have runs out... Feels bad. I really liked Columbus.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I don't find the process soul-crushing. It feels monotonous more than anything, but it's a necessity of a task especially in today's climate where job security is literally non-existent.

BoondockRiley

Nov 15, 2017
I'm about to hand in my resignation today. I'm unsure if it's the right thing to do - I don't have another job lined up but I am a freelance artist on the side so I will have a little bit of money coming in - any advice from anyone that's been in this position?
I cannot stand working another day there, my line manager is borderline bullying and targeting me and my mental health is currently in a very bad place as it is, but I fear no income is going to impact me even worse (I do have savings however)

Oct 27, 2017

Just on LinkedIn, I would advise updating your profile. A lot goes on in the background to extract skills from your job titles, descriptions of your past roles etc and it makes you a lot more visible to recruiters.

Anyway. I am interviewing for a job I'm really interested in next Friday. The interviews go on for over 2 hours so going to be a slog but looking forward to it.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I'm about to hand in my resignation today. I'm unsure if it's the right thing to do - I don't have another job lined up but I am a freelance artist on the side so I will have a little bit of money coming in - any advice from anyone that's been in this position?
I cannot stand working another day there, my line manager is borderline bullying and targeting me and my mental health is currently in a very bad place as it is, but I fear no income is going to impact me even worse (I do have savings however)

Probably not what you want to hear but I was in a similar situation years ago and I regretted quitting without having anything else to go to, the fear of not being able to pay my bills was much worse than the job I left.

Although I didn't have a side income at the time.

If you can tough it out I'd definitely recommend holding out till you get another job.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Well had a multi-hour long in-person yesterday for a position I really want. Could go either way, but just botched one of the thank you notes (I had to write seven of them). Typed everything out in word first and copied it to gmail. Of course blanked and didn't change font-size to normal (about 10 point in gmail) so font went out larger than an average email (12 point). That email was of course to the hiring-manager....

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What are the rules for applying for a job multiple times? As in, I applied last week, the listing is still up, but they technically listed another job application for the same position (same description, info, requirements, etc) this morning. Both links take me to the company site, but they are separate job listings (the only difference is that one is listed under the parent company as opposed to the previous one being a subsidiary). Will it seem like I am more interested applying twice, or would that just be annoying/unnecessary?

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Well of my the five phone interviews I had within a week, three weeks ago, no job offers came of any of it.

Two didn't get past a phone screen, one ghosted me after saying they were going to set-up an in-person, and two were a no after the in-person. One of the in-person rejection had the hiring manager telling me it had nothing to do with my interview quality, said I interviewed great when asking for feedback, but another candidate had more experience in what they wanted for the role.

Well hopefully some more interviews turn-up soon, I'm not sure how much longer my sanity can take my current job and more specifically my manager. Job searching really is soul-crushing. Whole process made me realize how woefully unequipped my current job has made me for someone with my job title....

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Well of my the five phone interviews I had within a week, three weeks ago, no job offers came of any of it.

Two didn't get past a phone screen, one ghosted me after saying they were going to set-up an in-person, and two were a no after the in-person. One of the in-person rejection had the hiring manager telling me it had nothing to do with my interview quality, said I interviewed great when asking for feedback, but another candidate had more experience in what they wanted for the role.

Well hopefully some more interviews turn-up soon, I'm not sure how much longer my sanity can take my current job and more specifically my manager. Job searching really is soul-crushing. Whole process made me realize how woefully unequipped my current job has made me for someone with my job title....
Ugh, sorry to hear it. At least you're getting leads though. Mind sharing what your current job is?

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, sorry to hear it. At least you're getting leads though. Mind sharing what your current job is?
Current job title is Junior Product Manager for an ecommerce site. Of course we had personnel and strategy changes close to when I got the position last year which greatly hindered my growth and my actual experience level in the role despite having it for over a year. Other issue is that low-level product positions are primarily filled internally so there is not much out there as far as stuff to apply for goes.

Someone I work with suggests I apply for Business Analyst positions, but I have no SQL or Tableau knowledge which limits my prospects for those positions greatly. Does anyone have any recommended classes/certifications to learn them?

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Current job title is Junior Product Manager for an ecommerce site. Of course we had personnel and strategy changes close to when I got the position last year which greatly hindered my growth and my actual experience level in the role despite having it for over a year. Other issue is that low-level product positions are primarily filled internally so there is not much out there as far as stuff to apply for goes.

Someone I work with suggests I apply for Business Analyst positions, but I have no SQL or Tableau knowledge which limits my prospects for those positions greatly. Does anyone have any recommended classes/certifications to learn them?
As a start, maybe try the Khan Academy SQL course. I really liked it as a starting point. Gotta follow it up with a project though.

Can't comment on Tableau though. Good luck!

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Ive been looking for a job for the past months but only started really trying about a month ago. Updated my LinkedIn profile, got an interview that appeared to have gone well but in the end led to an email that didnt get a reply lol.

I am looking to move to a bigger city and there are very few companies I am interested in working on (Transportation Engineering). The option of "go and work somewhere just to get some money" doesnt help because there is no way I am moving to Sao Paulo (20M people), renting a place near the "temporary job" only to find another job that will potentially be in the other side of the city and make me commute for 2 or more hours per day. No fucking way I want that for my life.

My education is great, best University around plus 2 times exchange student abroad, plus a PhD (that I am still finishing). But I only had contact with the "private sector" for about 6 months during my PhD when I worked with a company... Honestly all this kinda suck because I feel HR people will either look at my resume and say "dude has no working experience, gtfo" or "ohh, he is about to become a PhD so he will either want high salary or he will just leave our company to be a professor/researcher st some point". And here I am, just looking for a decent job in my field, no need for higher than usual salary...

There was this company that had a job open that was 90% exactly what I did on my PhD. Sent CV through their site, through LinkedIn, through email directly to the HR and also sent a message to another HR person on LinkedIn. Not a single response. Seriously pissed at that, they can hire whoever they want (obviously) but for this specific position I doubt that my experience wasn't enough for at least a phone call.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Ive been looking for a job for the past months but only started really trying about a month ago. Updated my LinkedIn profile, got an interview that appeared to have gone well but in the end led to an email that didnt get a reply lol.

I am looking to move to a bigger city and there are very few companies I am interested in working on (Transportation Engineering). The option of "go and work somewhere just to get some money" doesnt help because there is no way I am moving to Sao Paulo (20M people), renting a place near the "temporary job" only to find another job that will potentially be in the other side of the city and make me commute for 2 or more hours per day. No fucking way I want that for my life.

My education is great, best University around plus 2 times exchange student abroad, plus a PhD (that I am still finishing). But I only had contact with the "private sector" for about 6 months during my PhD when I worked with a company... Honestly all this kinda suck because I feel HR people will either look at my resume and say "dude has no working experience, gtfo" or "ohh, he is about to become a PhD so he will either want high salary or he will just leave our company to be a professor/researcher st some point". And here I am, just looking for a decent job in my field, no need for higher than usual salary...

There was this company that had a job open that was 90% exactly what I did on my PhD. Sent CV through their site, through LinkedIn, through email directly to the HR and also sent a message to another HR person on LinkedIn. Not a single response. Seriously pissed at that, they can hire whoever they want (obviously) but for this specific position I doubt that my experience wasn't enough for at least a phone call.
How many jobs have you applied for? If you've only done it a lot in the past month then you may just need the numbers. I know your position, I have a PhD and it took some doing when I wanted to change fields.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
How many jobs have you applied for? If you've only done it a lot in the past month then you may just need the numbers. I know your position, I have a PhD and it took some doing when I wanted to change fields.
In a good day I apply for 5 jobs or so, I try to apply for at least one but there are days that I dont even look because I am busy with something else. Im almost 30 and I think that if I get a job in other area, even within Civil Engineering, it will be practically impossible to move to Transportation / Planning...

I have a list of companies bookmarked that I check everyday for new positions but what these last months showed me is that filling forms on websites is near useless, best way to get any kind of response is being the guy that asks for friends for recommendation (from the 60 that wet to Uni with me only 4 are in my field so there isnt many to help) or connecting straight to some Director on LinkedIn and introducing myself...

On top of all that it pisses me off seeing positions that are clearly for Engineers, description fits perfectly to an Engineer, but they will hire you as a fucking "analist" and pay you half or a third of the salary of an Engineer. Fuck this shit.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay. I applied for an IT job at hospital. I had a 15 minute phone technical interview a few weeks ago. This week, I had an in person interview for 30 minutes with the person who would be my new supervisor and another team member. Today, I got an email from the Talent Acquisition Partner at the hospital to setup a phone interview for 30 minutes next week. What do you think that means?

octopedes

Feb 3, 2018
After two solid years of applications and interviews, I've finally done it.

I just got a new job that'll be 20 minutes away from where I live by car (previously had to commute over an hour), pay about $30k more, and I'll be doing exactly the things I want to do.

I can say for certain, hang in there people still looking. There's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Okay. I applied for an IT job at hospital. I had a 15 minute phone technical interview a few weeks ago. This week, I had an in person interview for 30 minutes with the person who would be my new supervisor and another team member. Today, I got an email from the Talent Acquisition Partner at the hospital to setup a phone interview for 30 minutes next week. What do you think that means?

Means you're on the right track and they are obviously interested.

I wouldn't get too high or low about it. Stay even until they make it clear as day they want you (i.e. offer).