• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hardware sales in the US was largely flat YoY in April, and software sales was down approximately 10%, but bear in mind that sales in April 2017 was boosted by the Switch. The PS4 got off a significantly stronger start compared to other consoles thanks to Sony's God of War. All eyes are now on the Switch's software lineup from 2Q.

The relative sales volumes of game hardware was:

YoY

On the software side (digital not included):
Thank you Magic Pork for providing the Good stuff.

Looks like exclusive games do matter.

And Xbox needs constant deals to sale big numbers. Probably why may is getting another temporary cut.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Ridiculously high PS4 numbers ... about 50k above my prediction.

I know Fortnite's involved but, an exclusive, single-player, linear, story-driven game just sold some consoles. They matter.

Oh, hey, I'm #11 this month.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
guilty-loki-gif.gif

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Best thing about the results is that it's a slap to the face for people who keep repeating exclusives don't sell consoles, PS4 being up YoY in its fifth year is crazy.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Best thing about the results is that it's a slap to the face for people who keep repeating exclusives don't sell consoles, PS4 being up YoY in its fifth year is crazy.

I don't disagree with your point but the X1 is also up YoY. Exclusives obviously matters but are at the end of the day a factor among others (price, services, 3rd party support ...).

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Thank God the NPD is interesting again because for the last few months you couldn't say anyone did better it was "everyone did well!". If you tried to give reasoning why one did better you got "no it was

Good job though Sony

Gurish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
Overall i'm TOP 15 for the month so still not bad i guess. Got Switch/XB1 close, was just way too conservate with PS4 lul

Have to agree with this. Recently with MS saying XB1 was up YOY by just 15% WW, USA sales must be closer to 70% or more than the old 60% for the first 3 months of the year.

132.000 in a market that basically cover more or less 2/3 of all sales is just bad. XB1X boost is slowing down and if that'sthe trend 2018 will just being another drop in USA, and way worse worldwide.

Xbox isn't doing so good at all, but I think that they are building a solid foundation for next gen with all of their services and support, they "just" need the games and they can be competitive again.

I agree that without those exclusives all their effort won't mean much, they HAVE to provide it, but if they are indeed investing in first party studios right now and if they continue to improve all their services and eco system and to provide a great hardware, than they can seriously threat Sony next gen.

This gen is done, MS knows it, but next gen it's all open again.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 sold very well for april, I underestimated the impact of GoW.

Xbox One is up YoY but seems kinda low for me considering the trend in 2018. I guess PS4 doing so well was a factor.

Also, I tought Switch could do a litte better this month too.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Very impressive for PS4. Xbox is up YoY but not my much, MS probably needs to do something about in the coming months, be it price drops or new game announcements.

Gurish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
Yes, I mentionned it. It is an important factor, just like exclusive games, services etc.

Exclusives are a huge factor.

You can somehow manage and do amazingly well even if you don't have the best hardware or services or even a solid third party support (Nintendo?) but if your platform doesn't offer anything unique and great to play on, if it doesn't offer games you can't play on other platforms, than prepare to get your ass kicked.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It can only be selthrough.

Edit: It can also be about Robot, since it bombed even in the places Variety kit did well

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I mentionned it. It is an important factor, just like exclusive games, services etc.

I think his context of exclusives sell consoles is more so that PS4 did very well with an exclusive game in April with its 5th year on the market compared to Xbox where is needs constant discounts in order to stay competitive. PS4 has not have any (or very small) discounts this year. Not even temporary ones whereas Xbox has had some form of a major discount every month.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
This is the second month with the biggest gap ever between PS4 and XB1, with PS4 selling x2,43 XB1 sales.

First one was June 2017 with x2,49 gap.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
othersshouldfail.jpg

No I just see it as multibillion dollar companies yielding results each month by various measures they take to secure them (price drops, ads, exclusive launches).

If one gets better results while doing little to nothing and the other is working overtime and sells less, I see it as two very different results despite there being an "only 50-60k" gap.

The extremes that you guys go to saying "So you want the others to fail, I KNEW IT." is ridiculous and unbecoming when we should be discussing these things as objectively as possible

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Xbox isn't doing so good at all, but I think that they are building a solid foundation for next gen with all of their services and support, they "just" need the games and they can be competitive again.

I agree that without those exclusives all their effort won't mean much, they HAVE to provide it, but if they are indeed investing in first party studios right now and if they continue to improve all their services and eco system and to provide a great hardware, than they can seriously threat Sony next gen.

This gen is done, MS knows it, but next gen it's all open again.
Their first party efforts won't have any effect if they all end up like SoT and SoD.

Emilijo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
YTD
PS4: ~1.3M (+7%)
NSW: ~1.03M (-13%)
XB1: ~980K (+34%)

Thought XB1 could pass 1M this month, just missed it. XB1 will have its best H1 yet though, that much is clear. If it sells just 300K in the next 2 months (massive low ball) it'll be equal to 2015's Jan-Jun.
So YTD in US+Japan, PS4 leads Switch by cca 250k, and Xbox One by cca 1.15 million.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No I just see it as multibillion dollar companies yielding results each month by various measures they take to secure them (price drops, ads, exclusive launches).

If one gets better results while doing little to nothing and the other is working overtime and sells less, I see it as two very different results despite there being an "only 50-60k" gap.

The extremes that you guys go to saying "So you want the others to fail, I KNEW IT." is ridiculous and unbecoming when we should be discussing these things as objectively as possible

lol, I was just making a joke about being annoyed at the notion that everyone could have a good month. it wasn't serious

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I think this month neatly clears up the argument about whether exclusives can sell consoles. Obviously it's not the only factor (see Wii U or early days of XBO vs PS4) but it's a big one. Incredible performance for PS4 this month.

I never thought God of War would be a system seller, but there it is. It's also very clearly severely damaged XBO's new found momentum in the US this month too. Almost double Switch too.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this month neatly clears up the argument about whether exclusives can sell consoles. Obviously it's not the only factor (see Wii U or early days of XBO vs PS4) but it's a big one. Incredible performance for PS4 this month.

I never thought God of War would be a system seller, but there it is. It's also very clearly severely damaged XBO's new found momentum in the US this month too. Almost double Switch too.

Appealing exclusives always will sell consoles, they just aren't more important than having the big third-parties games, but are without doubt a relevant differential in the market.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Appealing exclusives always will sell consoles, they just aren't more important than having the big third-parties games, but are without doubt a relevant differential in the market.

Yep at this point the big 3rd party games going to be on all the systems or most anyway .
So exclusives are a big plus to add to that .
What also good for Sony is there are entering next gen with exclusives they making selling more than even before .
They could be entering next gen with 5 exclusives that selling around 8 to 10 million which is something only Nintendo could do .

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank God the NPD is interesting again because for the last few months you couldn't say anyone did better it was "everyone did well!". If you tried to give reasoning why one did better you got "no it was

Good job though Sony

Why is it a problem if everyone is doing well lol

Labo missed retailer expectations.

By a wide margin
That's a shame. Why do you think this happened? What will the effects of this be going forward?