• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
You mean
Nintendo 90%
Ubisoft 5%
Others 5%

?

;)

Joke aside, it could be coming from any number of entities, for any number of reasons.

This being said, soon the National Purchase Diary Panel group won't have much in the form of public release anymore...

Games were released last month.
Some sold better than others.
They either sold more or less than in previous months and/ or years, and we expect the situation will be either better or worse in the coming months.
Though possibly unchanged, too.

Our partners are generally satisfied with the situation, but some more than others. And some not so much.
lol

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Games were released last month.
Some sold better than others.
They either sold more or less than in previous months and/ or years, and we expect the situation will be either better or worse in the coming months.
Though possibly unchanged, too.

Our partners are generally satisfied with the situation, but some more than others. And some not so much.

I, for one, may or may not welcome our new vague NPD overlords.

OP
OP

donny2112

Oct 27, 2017
You mean
Nintendo 90%
Ubisoft 5%
Others 5%

?

;)

Not sure if you understood the original context and intentionally went the wrong way with this comment or just misunderstood the context. The statement wasn't about overall top seller splits per publisher. It was splits on individual games per system. The joke being that knowing the split for a single top-selling game on a Nintendo platform would be somewhat useless, as it's usually an exclusive, so there aren't other systems for the game to sell on. Per system splits. Not per publisher splits.

Edit:
For anyone who may not be familiar with the previous format being discussed, here is the top games in October 2012.

13524161109qjb3j.jpg

Note the order of systems listed on multi-platform titles is not the same for each game. The likely reason from the time was that the order of the systems showed which systems sold the most for that particular game. e.g. NBA 2K13 sold most on 360 that month, and though Wii is listed there, it probably sold a minuscule amount compared to the PS3+360 total for the month. Comparatively, Pokemon Black 2, a game that would've sold very well on a Nintendo platform, was exclusive to the Nintendo platform making a platform split unnecessary. Note how there is no publisher split. Elandyll probably knew that the split was by system and not by publisher when he made his joke, but more recent sales followers may not have been aware of the original context.

Last edited:

Zetran

Oct 25, 2017
No.
The last time when those splits were reported, many games sold better on Xbox than Playstation despite the lower installbase.
I also don't know why you would automatically assume it's the platform holder. There are also publishers involved. Those who voluntarily agreed to share their digital sales data with the NPD.

If you want stuff from someone you play nice with them. If a publisher wants to share platform splits, they can do it.
Some do it, some don't. And another reason why they don't is because they also want to play nice with their customers Microsoft and Sony.
Last NPD format May 2016

Software:

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) - It's either the best or second best selling Uncharted game. I think the text is implying second best after Uncharted 3, but I can't tell 100%. Either way it's a relatively large number.
  2. Doom (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  3. Overwatch (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  4. Battleborn (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  5. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
  6. Minecraft (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  7. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  8. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  9. MLB 16: The Show (PS4, PS3)
  10. Dark Souls III (PS4, Xbox One)
MS could be one of the contributing factor. But hey perhaps if every thing rosy next gen we might get the most detail NPD format ever. From engagement to MAU to the number of socks being blown out.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
You really want to see something go look at the releases from the early 00's

Ah yes the aughts. So many things were better back in those days and yet they are responsible for Nickelback soooooo good riddance.

ResetERA Aggregate Predictions - Apr-2018

1. PS4 - 288K
2. NSW - 208K
3. XB1 - 184K

Man I am way below the aggregate for all 3. Either I am super pessimistic this months or some folks are really confusing what sort of sales usually come out of April. While I think it's the latter I'm a bit concerned it might be the former

A bit off topic but seeing some folks banned here and checking to see why sure was eye opening. Yeeeesh

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
Ah yes the aughts. So many things were better back in those days and yet they are responsible for Nickelback soooooo good riddance.

Man I am way below the aggregate for all 3. Either I am super pessimistic this months or some folks are really confusing what sort of sales usually come out of April. While I think it's the latter I'm a bit concerned it might be the former

A bit off topic but seeing some folks banned here and checking to see why sure was eye opening. Yeeeesh

I think I overshot all my numbers, I was just being extremely optimistic I guess.

Also, yeesh is right. Jfc.
I know, i know, anime avatar. fuck that generalization

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Why do people expect NSW to be around 100k down compared to March? I don't think Kirby influenced hardware sales that much.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
March was a 5 week month, and most have been dissapointed with Labo's influence on hardware.

I didn't know about March being 5 weeks and April being only 4 weeks, but it still feels like it's too low, even if Labo didn't step up hardware sales. I didn't make a prediction but I think it will be around 230k.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know about March being 5 weeks and April being only 4 weeks, but it still feels like it's too low, even if Labo didn't step up hardware sales. I didn't make a prediction but I think it will be around 230k.

April is traditionally a relatively slow sales month and there wasn't really anything people see pushing Switch to overcome that norm.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if you understood the original context and intentionally went the wrong way with this comment or just misunderstood the context. The statement wasn't about overall top seller splits per publisher. It was splits on individual games per system. The joke being that knowing the split for a single top-selling game on a Nintendo platform would be somewhat useless, as it's usually an exclusive, so there aren't other systems for the game to sell on. Per system splits. Not per publisher splits.

Edit:
For anyone who may not be familiar with the previous format being discussed, here is the top games in October 2012.

Note the order of systems listed on multi-platform titles is not the same for each game. The likely reason from the time was that the order of the systems showed which systems sold the most for that particular game. e.g. NBA 2K13 sold most on 360 that month, and though Wii is listed there, it probably sold a minuscule amount compared to the PS3+360 total for the month. Comparatively, Pokemon Black 2, a game that would've sold very well on a Nintendo platform, was exclusive to the Nintendo platform making a platform split unnecessary. Note how there is no publisher split. Elandyll probably knew that the split was by system and not by publisher when he made his joke, but more recent sales followers may not have been aware of the original context.
I was just going for an overall silly post, and yes Mat, you can totally use that template :)

As always thanks for the breakdown Donny!

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God of War moving more PS4s than Call of Duty.

Xbox One keeps the great upward trajectory this year, always up so far!

Switch kinda expected since launch months were very strong.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta eat crow for PS4. Didn't think GoW would give so big boost during one of the worst months of the year. Was pretty dead on with Switch and overestimated XBO a bit but no by much

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those PS4 numbers are really impressive. God of War's numbers must also be crazy high.

What's also really impressive is Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, a $60 re-release of a 2014 Wii U game, made the top 4 with only two days on the market.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Man I was doing real well on the other two. PS4 being bonkers really threw me under the bus this time around