• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The riddle should be so tough, we won't figure it out until next months predictions open.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I expected a lot of PS4's sold because Days Gone was so late, but I did expect a little bit higher. Wonder if this'll affect May.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Switch hold is really really good, is having a strong year with literally nothing.

PS4/XB1 low but expected.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
2019 will be a tough year for PS4/XB1. Imagine 2020...

Sony at least has more margin to drop the price if the sales starts to became to low, Microsoft in the other hand will have to pratically give away the Xbox One S.

Playstation is doing fine, and they still have exclusives well into 2020 to push the PS4. Xbox is heading into the end of its run this gen since the Xbox One is already very cheap and they lack a worldwide sales presence. Low sales in the NPD is more alarming for them than anyone else.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Why does npd so desperately not want discussion on this topic or any transparency about numbers. I just don't get it, all this seems to be doing is making some people's hobby less fun?

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Switch continues to increase it's YTD lead over 2018 and we are really just starting to get into the strong part of the release schedule in June.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's annoying too. But in japan at least we still have two other trackers providing extremely detailed information on a weekly basis, npd is a far far cry from that.

I wonder if specific developers have pressured npd into keeping numbers confidential.

I could be wrong, but I believe it was said that Sony did not want their numbers available publicly like a decade ago so the NPD had (?) to just not make any of the numbers public.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He was here as a PR move/risk mitigation on the part of NPD. They clearly changed their strategy so he just up and left.
I appreciated his participation, but that is my point of view as well.
I can say I really didn't like his thinly veiled threat at Aqua the moment he started showing up per example.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I think he requested a ban/account closure, but I'm not sure why. Maybe the whole blow up regarding numbers being leaked?
I wouldn't be surprised it has been because he wants to keep it professional and certain member was starting to compromise that. Not a bad decision

OP
OP

donny2112

Oct 27, 2017
Quoting literature however, that's just us going crazy trying to link stuff together. We don't know which is right.

Personally, I love the literature quotes. Haven't recognized any of the pieces, so far, but love the methodology. I'm guessing like Toumari, by the way. Will post the prediction results next week when the regular PR comes out so as to not draw so much attention to the numbers, too. (^_^)

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What was the thing Benji was noticing in April btw?
Benji said that Switch hardware in early April was noticeably down compared to March. Later in the month, he noted that the momentum had picked right back up, so that his idea that maybe Switch was losing a bit of steam due to the empty release schedule from a first party perspective was put to rest right there (as he himself mentioned).

Switch looks to be 30% up YOY if I understand correctly (I don't own Finnegan's Wake), which is right in line with the rest of the year, so it's still doing great.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
The month was even slower than expected (by me), and I overestimated the effect that DG could have on hardware. Thought it might sell some Pros.

EDIT: Also expected MK to push PS4 and XBO some more, last game was 4 years ago.

Last edited:

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Slow month but very good numbers for Switch. What a turnaround from Wii U, which was selling like 40k units at that point in lifetime, lol

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Past couple of years have had limited time price cuts around the middle of June.
Days of Play promotion has been confirmed to return this year, but the only thing we know so far is a limited edition PS4 Slim.
Based on previous couple of years we can assume PS4 Slim and/or Pro price cut too as part of the promotion.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
Looking at YoY comparisons:

Switch had a greater increase YoY than in January - March (Jan was relatively flat)
XBOX actually with its lowest decline this year so far
PS4 [decline] is driven by [absence of] GoW, nothing else to say

EDIT - YTD comparison (approx.):

Code:
NSW | + 22%
XB1 | - 33%
PS4 | - 32%

Last edited:

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Switch still going strong despite a fairly weak SW schedule. Only really one month left before the barrage of games start in June. Feeling even more confident that the switch will have a huge year and easily beat Nintendo's forecast.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany

I meant that its decline is driven by the absence of GoW. Thus its YoY decline is of course the highest for the year, but I think nobody expected otherwise.

Maybe the PS4 would have sold 400k if DG had an 99 score on Opencritic, we will never know ;-)

I got nothing against DG, I did not play it yet. (Many) people seem to enjoy it, that's what matters in the end.

Oct 25, 2017
I meant that its decline is driven by the absence of GoW. Thus its YoY decline is of course the highest for the year, but I think nobody expected otherwise.

Maybe the PS4 would have sold 400k if DG had an 99 score on Opencritic, we will never know ;-)

I got nothing against DG, I did not play it yet. (Many) people seem to enjoy it, that's what matters in the end.
I mean regardless it didn't have much effect in the last week for hardware numbers.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
I get the feeling many people still look at the wrong numbers.
Hannybunny24's post about chapters is misleading. If you want the 'magically' accurate prediction you got to go with Toumari:
Switch: 227k
PS4: 148k
Xbox: 106k

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Switch VS 3DS comparation after 26 months

Lifetime sales
Switch ~ 11.75 million
3DS ~ 8.37 million

3rd year
Switch ~ 1.26 million
3DS ~ 677K

26th month
Switch ~ 227K
3DS ~ 113K

It really looks like the gap keep increasing and increasing.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was the thing Benji was noticing in April btw?
Yeah, was what that about? April wasn't exactly a tight race. Switch seems to be comfortable on top, if I interpret the Pokémon right.
yeah, same. Guess things didn't change too much.
Would like to find out what this was about too 🙋🏻‍♂️

I'm only here to post a quick correction.

What I said was in regards to March. I said as the month went on Switch was seeing larger percentage declines on a weekly basis as the month went on than say PS4 or Xbox One. And it would be interesting to see if that continued in April

My predictions, per my YouTube video posted a week ago were the following

Switch - 30% up YoY
PS4 - 50% down YoY
Xbox - 20% down YoY

I was 100% accurate as to the exact percentage increase and decrease for all 3 platforms. Congrats on the high ranking to everyone who utilized my predictions, you will place near the top of the leaderboard

Thanks

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

What I said was in regards to March. I said as the month went on Switch was seeing larger percentage declines on a weekly basis as the month went on than say PS4 or Xbox One. And it would be interesting to see if that continued in April

Switch - 30% up YoY
PS4 - 50% down YoY
Xbox - 20% down YoY

I was 100% accurate as to the exact percentage increase and decrease for all 3 platforms. Congrats on the high ranking to everyone who utilized my predictions, you will place near the top of the leaderboard

Thanks
Thanks for popping in Benji, glad you're having fun with your YouTube channel!

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany

Switch - 30% up YoY
PS4 - 50% down YoY
Xbox - 20% down YoY

Thanks

Thanks Benji, without your video I would have been way too optimistic on all 3 platforms :-D

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I mean regardless it didn't have much effect in the last week for hardware numbers.

Days Gone didn't get an LE PS4 Pro like God of War did, for one thing. And when you factor that PS4's price didn't budge in a lower direction in quite some time, you can see how those numbers in one of the weakest sales months in the year should be expected given how late in the gen we are..

I do believe there are tons of people still interested in the PS4, but many think it is stupid to pay $299 for one at this stage of its life.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida

Switch - 30% up YoY
PS4 - 50% down YoY
Xbox - 20% down YoY

Thanks

Thanks for chiming in buddy! Will be checking out your YT place. Wish you all the success with your platforms.

Jan 2, 2018

Switch - 30% up YoY
PS4 - 50% down YoY
Xbox - 20% down YoY

Thanks

Ah, thank you for the clarification! :)

Wetflix

Mar 16, 2019
Great work as usual Benji! Do come back to post more often. Your insights are very, very appreciated.

Edit: I was being far too optimistic for the PS4, and underestimated the Switch. I suck at these.

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland

Switch - 30% up YoY
PS4 - 50% down YoY
Xbox - 20% down YoY

Thanks

Come back permanently Benji!!! Your presence is greatly missed 😪😪