• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
That last trailer really got me hyped for this but I just don't think I am going to have time to see it and all the others I want to see. Looking forward to hearing impressions on it.

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
Yea I saw it. Left my "review" in the other thread. It's fine. Really stupid but entertaining most of the way through. I thought it was the best dc universe movie but that's not saying much. I give it 6/10. Won't ever watch again.
Wow sounds horrible :(

DC can't catch a break.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is that horrible. That is the average review that most Marvel movies get? Unless you don't like MCU movies.

Actually I found it better than most marvel movies which typically bore me to tears. Aqua man at least kept me interested most of the time.

My favorite marvel movies are ant man, black panther and gotg 1 in that order I guess. If that helps at all.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Actually I found it better than most marvel movies which typically bore me to tears. Aqua man at least kept me interested most of the time.

My favorite marvel movies are ant man, black panther and gotg 1 in that order I guess. If that helps at all.
That's one of the more interesting collections of favorite Marvel movies I've seen. Though it does line up with about what I'm expecting from Aquaman.

Nov 30, 2017

I don't find any MCU movie boring. So I guess I'll be more inclined to like this movie which is a good thing. I'm just not liking Jason Mamoa as Arthur Curry it's completely opposite of what I expect of the character.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's one of the more interesting collections of favorite Marvel movies I've seen. Though it does line up with about what I'm expecting from Aquaman.

My biggest problem with marvel (besides that I didn't grow up with the chracters and I'm not attached to them at all) is that they generally have big villians threatening the entire world or galaxy but you know they are gonna win so there is no tension. The age old "no stakes" argument. That's why I like ant man, for one the jokes mostly hit in my opinion and they aren't throw away one liners in the heat of battle while saving the entire world, but also because I don't remember (only saw it once) the point being save the world... it was more of a personal story I think. Again it's been a long time and most action movies come and go from my brain pretty quickly because they lack substance for me to latch onto.

Actually I thought Aqua Man was quite similar to Black Panther in a lot of ways, from the story beats that I remember. It was just way cheesier. The cheese wasn't that bad though, it made it mostly pretty fun.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Reposting what I've said on the RT thread, didn't realize that an OT existed before:

I'm honestly legitimately impressed by this film. Momoa is still pretty much rough around the edges and the film weakest link, but I see the potential of him eventually getting better. I need to see it again, but my impression so far is that while the story is indeed the formulaic origin story, it might rivalize Infinity War to me in terms of spectacle.

It's way better than an Aquaman film had any right to be, especially after how atrocious BvS and JL were. It's not the best DC film in the DCEU imho, that's still Wonder Woman, but it's definitely top 3 in my favorite superhero films this year, after Infinity War and Black Panther.

I would rate this a solid 9/10. Also, this is going to breakout and breakout hard. WOM will be insane.

Also, the thread title doesn't make justice to this film at all. It lacks oomph. If I can dare, here is my suggestion:

The Avatar of superhero movies, directed by James... WAN

friskybobcat

The Fallen
Nov 28, 2017
Saw it last night. A solid 8/10 movie, 9/10 theater experience.

The score and soundtrack were fun, and my my the wide shots were spectacular.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just saw it few hours ago. Its great and entertaining. Love the cast, action scene (had a lot epic moments) and the art direction.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I'd say one of the best superhero origin movies, and definitely something different than what we've been getting for years. Story wise it's a better Black Panther.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I'd say one of the best superhero origin movies, and definitely something different than what we've been getting for years. Story wise it's a better Black Panther.
Uuuuh I dunno I'd say Aquaman's plot is simple and basic. I personally don't have an issue with it as I enjoyed the movie more for the action and visuals which delivered.
Momoa as Aquabro continues to be great.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised at how impressed I were by the movie. I can't stop thinking about the spectacle and epic moments. There were so many.

I loved Mera and Atlanna. They were kickass. Black Manta's motivation made sense. And Orm was so cool.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I do feel a few scenes or elements could've been done better
1- When Manta calls at him to save them, Aquaman should've just told them that he did show him mercy but then his dad fired the grenade.
2- Manta should've been paid with diamonds instead of those coins as while I can see smelting them would've let him cash it in, giving up diamonds for Manta's reverse would've further solidified his hate towards him.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Uuuuh I dunno I'd say Aquaman's plot is simple and basic. I personally don't have an issue with it as I enjoyed the movie more for the action and visuals which delivered.
Momoa as Aquabro continues to be great.
To be fair Black Panther is also simple and basic. They both seem to go for the same plot beats, it's just that aquaman is better paced and hits those beats better I feel.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Solid adventure movie. Momoa was bland as the lead, and Mera was so-so. Orm was fine as a villain, loved his costume. Black Manta was completely badass, can't wait to see more of him.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Just got home from watching. Quick thoughts: Arthur is a bonehead, James Wan needs someone else to pick his music for him and this is the best superhero movie of the year (Disclaimer: Haven't seen Spidey yet)

Holy shit, what a FUN ride. The creature design my dudes *chefs kiss*

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good movie, the Aquaman classic costume actually works but my God the CGI is bad. Like really bad. Specially the Atlantean soldiers. Creature design was pretty cool.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I've enjoyed the DC and Marvel films, plus Watchmen so I'm really looking forward to this.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
It was a blast from start to finish. Wonderful action which was shot well, CGI was on point with only a couple places making me think it needed a little more work and the characters were really well done. My favourite comic book movie of the year probably narrowly beating out Avengers.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
My fave superhero movie this year. Minor complaint about the CGI, but overall it was the most fun I had in theater so far in 2018.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Saw it. It was pretty good, a fun unrelenting ride from start to finish. The fight scenes had some cool flashy angle changes while keeping the action in frame. That was new to me. Honestly the movie didn't need that big flashy CGI battle at the end, but I'm not complaining.

Glad DC movies finally ditched the grim-dark and learned to have some heart in them.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Just saw Aquaman. It's so good! Like a super hero movie with Lotr and star wars elements mixed in. Such imagination and great cinematography. A couple parts were corny though and a bunch of people laughed out loud when the black manta came on screen the first time. His helmet is sooooo dumb looking.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I didn't like it much, Arthur's "arc" didn't really convince me, and I didn't like the slow-mo usage as well.

I admit most of it is probably because I watched it in 3D which made my eyes extremely tired. So I guess my advice here is don't watch it in 3D

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like it much, Arthur's "arc" didn't really convince me, and I didn't like the slow-mo usage as well.

I admit most of it is probably because I watched it in 3D which made my eyes extremely tired. So I guess my advice here is don't watch it in 3D
Yeah, I'm sticking to mostly 90-100 minute movies for 3D.

Aquaman checking in at almost 2.5 hours plus commercials and trailers will just tire your eyes out

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I'm totally down for this and wish it was out here already. It'll come to the IMAX here, though, which I think I'll go for despite the ticket cost. Biggest IMAX in Germany according to their website (which makes it even more infuriating that they only showed documentaries until a year or so ago, as it is part of a museum). Movie just looks like brilliant dumb fun with shark cavalry. I might have to stop myself from ordering a box of Idoneth Deepkin right after the show if it's flashy enough.

Is there enough shark on helpless creatures action to make IMAX worth it?

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
There's no 2D Imax theatres around me. The only option is Imax 3D, of which my father isn't a fan.

Hoping to watch it tomorrow morning.

Xevren

Oct 25, 2017
Movie was pretty enjoyable. Corny but still dug it. But more importantly it has a god damn octopus playing the drums!

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Aquaman is legit.

They crammed a lot in here, as a result they didn't get to focus on some cool stuff as much as they could have.

But PHEW this film is a stunner. There as some great shots here.

The final third is intense. My father and brother loved the trench sequence.

Off first viewing it may be my favourite DCEU film to date. Need to rewatch it as soon as I can.

It starts off as your standard CBM, becomes an Indiana Jones film for a bit, there's a bit of Jurassic Park here and it ends as a LoTR movie.

The Italy sequence is greatness. Top tier action sequence.

For a late night showing in the UK, the theatre was packed. A few people clapped at the final title card.

At the very least its a great time due to the spectacle.

OP
OP
Rvaan

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Movie was fine. The CG was hit or miss at times, especially if hair and fabric were involved. The music was all over the place. It would come in and out at weird times. Acting was eh. But man was it a spectacle at times. I'd give it a solid C+/B-. It was entertaining enough.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I'd go B+, probably tied as second favorite comic movie this year (behind the Black Panther and Spiderverse tie). Really entertaining. The pacing was a touch too brisk, and the acting from the two teen Arthur's was rough as hell.

And Arthur got worked throughout. It's great.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Movie was fine. The CG was hit or miss at times, especially if hair and fabric were involved. The music was all over the place. It would come in and out at weird times. Acting was eh. But man was it a spectacle at times. I'd give it a solid C+/B-. It was entertaining enough.
That's good for a DC film, hoping Shazam keeps it fun and light hearted and sets the tone for the DC movies going forward. I'll probably see Aquaman in theaters if people talk about it being visually worth seeing in theaters. Especially IMAX if the ocean scenes look impressive?

Oct 25, 2017
I'll need some time (and a second viewing once it officially opens here) to think on it, but provisionally this is in my Top 5 superhero movies ever. I really loved every second of it. The spectacle was amazing, the cast all played off each other really well, and I felt like it had the perfect mixture of comedy and tenderness mixed in with the action.

God, I never could have imagined an Aquaman movie like this being made, and I'm glad that it was.