• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been looking forward to this movie. First trailer showed potential and James Wan usually makes solid movies at the very worst. They're always entertaining at least, and seeing as the best of the DC movies have been mediocre at best, this feels like it could be pretty good in comparison.

Sidenote, China definitely knows where it's at lately. Aside from the first 15 minutes of Venom, which were pretty boring and generic, the rest of that movie is solid as hell. Tom Hardy chewing up that goddamn scenery and a great dynamic between him and Venom. Fine ass movie. If Aquaman is similarly entertaining, I'll be satisfied.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't been keeping up with this movie at all as I just expected it to be trash (I didn't know how the director was until today for instance). Would be a pleasant surprise if I'm wrong.

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
I mentioned yesterday in the DC OT my experience seeing it in Shanghai last night. The crowd was well over half women, my girlfriend practically dragged me to the theater for the lead. The ads here have been pretty much just him shirtless, which is hilariously out of place in a relatively conservative country. And they are everywhere. We pre ordered tickets well over a week in advance and we had to get poor seats in a rather late hour. All of the showings are booked. I don't think anyone here really knows who Aquaman is coming into the film based on the reactions in the film. Overall I thought the film was pretty below average, but I'll save that for another thread. There weren't any 'China audience scenes' as in Venom which surprised me (Baidu, Xiamio product placement). Then again, currently there isn't really anything showing but trash in the Chinese theaters, so that certainly must have helped.

Syntrophos

Nov 25, 2018
I think I'll see it purely because DC films are more interesting to watch because they are relentlessly awful in contrast to the bland but OK Marvel films. It can't be worse than suicide squad.

Syntrophos

Nov 25, 2018
So edgy and matoor!! Your parents must be proud.
I don't mean it in an entirely negative way, I've thought about and seen the DC films more purely because of how bad they can get. A Marvel film is often tedious to get through whereas a DC film tends to be funny due to how bad it can be. You can still enjoy bad things, it's perfectly fine.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I know Aquaman is getting good vibes from people.

But for God's sake does China watch ANYTHING when you throw it at them?

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
I don't mean it in an entirely negative way, I've thought about and seen the DC films more purely because of how bad they can get. A Marvel film is often tedious to get through whereas a DC film tends to be funny due to how bad it can be. You can still enjoy bad things, it's perfectly fine.
You know, I agree. Most MCU films have left me with a similar impression for their surface level filmmaking and how flimsy their underpinnings are.

Syntrophos

Nov 25, 2018
You know, I agree. Most MCU films have left me with a similar impression for their surface level filmmaking and how flimsy their underpinnings are.
The main issue with Marvel is that they are perfectly acceptable 99% of the time. They are just fine, nothing good but not horrendous either. I've watched something like Suicide Squad more than any Marvel film because it's fascinatingly awful.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
every dc movie thread ever.

Well previously, at least for me I'd rate suicide squad and Batman vs Superman as made me sleep/10. Wonder Woman as hokie but fun for like 45 minutes until it got into the story, 5/10, Superman I don't think I saw. Were there any others yet?

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Saw this last week. It doesn't take itself seriously and is finally a dc comic book movie which doesn't make itself self important. It gives reference to fact that it takes place
after justice league
. The way director incorporates music is really well done. There are constant
back and forth between present and past
so the movie constantly moves forward. There are a lot of mini stories packed in this and black manta one is small but good. It's very cheesy but it knows it is and it's a lot of fun from first moment to the last when aquaman
flies upwards towards the ocean surface and the screen pauses and aquaman is OFFICIALLY introduced

Aquaman 9/10
Wonder Woman 7/10
Man of Steel 6/10
Batman v Superman 4/10
Suicide squad 2/10

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Saw this last week. It doesn't take itself seriously and is finally a dc comic book movie which doesn't make itself self important. It gives reference to fact that it takes place
after justice league
. The way director incorporates music is really well done. There are constant
back and forth between present and past
so the movie constantly moves forward. There are a lot of mini stories packed in this and black manta one is small but good. It's very cheesy but it knows it is and it's a lot of fun from first moment to the last when aquaman
flies upwards towards the ocean surface and the screen pauses and aquaman is OFFICIALLY introduced

Aquaman 9/10
Wonder Woman 7/10
Man of Steel 6/10
Batman v Superman 4/10
Suicide squad 2/10

I thought that guy said he was the black panther until I thought awhile about what else he could be that made actual sense.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I know Aquaman is getting good vibes from people.

But for God's sake does China watch ANYTHING when you throw it at them?

They don't give much of a shit about Star Wars.

Curiously, Marvel's Mouse House brethren Lucasfilm has struggled mightily since the series returned in 2015 with The Force Awakens. Each new installment has grossed progressively less in China. Rogue One earned just $69.4 million of its $1 billion total there, while The Last Jedi flamed out in two weeks time. This month's Solo: A Star Wars Story, which is already having a rough go at it domestically, came up with just $3 million in its opening day.

It may boil down to how the new movies have been marketed. There's no denying the Disney era films lean heavily on nostalgia and familiar elements during promotion. The money shot of the Force Awakens trailer was Han telling Chewie they were home. Rogue One revolves around the Death Star plans. The Last Jedi places an onus on Luke Skywalker. And Solo is all about Han Solo's youth. While Episode VII was designed as a soft reboot and the anthology films are considered standalone stories, they're still dependent on prior knowledge to fully appreciate. Since the original trilogy bypassed China completely, they lack the connection to make an impact. Perhaps Rian Johnson's new trilogy and the David Benioff/D.B. Weiss series will prove to be more accessible entry points since they're entirely separate from the Skywalker saga.

To their credit, Lucasfilm has tried to boost Star Wars' appeal in China. The castings of Donnie Yen and Wen Jiang in Rogue One were seen in some circles as an attempt to attract Chinese viewers, and they completely removed Star Wars from Solo's Chinese title. Neither of those gambits paid off, and it's worth wondering if Lucasfilm should even bother with Chinese releases in the future. Of course, every little bit helps, but Star Wars' Chinese totals are barely a blip on the radar (Last Jedi goes from $1.3 billion to $1.2 billion when China's taken out). The studio could probably save a little in distribution costs by skipping China completely. It's possible for genre pictures to be massive hits without Chinese ticket sales (see: Deadpool), so they're not an absolute necessity.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
China does not like Sci-fi. Star Warszmajorly underperforms in China.

Ready Player One did ok there I think, Star Wars just relies on nonexistent nostalgia when it comes to China. And a lot of it is not that fresh for people that grew up with wuxia. It's not a sci fi problem.

Crazy Rich Asians was a huge bomb in China.

That isn't surprising. The Asian cast is hardly a selling point in Asia, it's always hard for comedy to translate into another language unless it's all physical like Mr Bean.

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
10 more days! I skipped out on the Amazon Prime early screening since it was only in standard format ☹️

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've seen it. It's a pretty solid super hero movie and I was thoroughly entertained throughout. Momoa is fun and Black Manta looks absolutely amazing on screen. Not quite as good as Marvel's best films but WAY better than Justice League and BvS. I personally liked it more than Wonder Woman.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I've seen it. It's a pretty solid super hero movie and I was thoroughly entertained throughout. Momoa is fun and Black Manta looks absolutely amazing on screen. Not quite as good as Marvel's best films but WAY better than Justice League and BvS. I personally liked it more than Wonder Woman.
That's encouraging.

Watching this two days from now with two friends, it's the premiere day here in Brazil.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
And to offer a bit more perspective

This is the current first week trajectory

And given all the other US releases on the list, it's likely getting 2x multiplier when all is said and done.

Transformers The Last Knight did amazing numbers there, yet I don't think you'll hear anyone trying to misrepresent its performance.

AM's performance isn't bad, but again, putting things into perspective.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
And given all the other US releases on the list, it's likely getting 2x multiplier when all is said and done.

Transformers The Last Knight did amazing numbers there, yet I don't think you'll hear anyone trying to misrepresent its performance.

AM's performance isn't bad, but again, putting things into perspective.

I'm not sure I follow your response?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
And to offer a bit more perspective

This is the current first week trajectory

tenor.gif