• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It depends. That oftenly happens when a film is embargoed to oblivion like MoS, BvS and JL. That's not the case here, while I get to see the film tomorrow because it premieres here, the film won't be out in the USA until December 21st. I think it'll stabilize around 70s with possibility of going up, instead of down.

I think DC fans should remember that Venom is a crap ass film and made a shit ton of money, this seems to be a fun flick full of spetacle and it'll probably please people even more than Venom. I'll take it.
Venom is way more enjoyable than Aquaman

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
I think DC fans should remember that Venom is a crap ass film and made a shit ton of money, this seems to be a fun flick full of spetacle and it'll probably please people even more than Venom. I'll take it.
Venom had no competition, great marketing, and Tom Hardy chewing scenery. Aquaman has a lot of competition, solid marketing, and lack Tom Hardy chewing scenery. Venom will please more people.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Venom is way more enjoyable than Aquaman

Yeah if you've watched both you probably could speak better about this than myself. Gladly I won't be able to compare the two because I'm just watching Aquaman, Venom belongs in the pile of superhero films I've never watched imho: with F4ntastic, Catwoman and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. Never watched those, never will.

Venom had no competition, great marketing, and Tom Hardy chewing scenery. Aquaman has a lot of competition, solid marketing, and lack Tom Hardy chewing scenery. Venom will please more people.

Honestly, I think you are understimating the potential of what a good DC film can do at the box office. And this one seems to be one of the good ones. It won't breakout like crazy, but I honestly could see it being the only film this holiday season reaching $1b worldwide. Yes, bigger than Poppins. Here's what I think, box office wise:

Aquaman: $310m Dom, $700m OS - $1B WW
Mary Poppins: $400m Dom, $350m OS, $750m WW
Spider-Man: Into Spiderverse: $290m Dom, $500m OS, $790m WW

My point is, when it comes to OS markets, Aquaman is actually the "main" film this holiday season, not any of the others.

Last edited:

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
This being Wan's second big expensive blockbuster these reviews are overall good. DC needs to keep him for future movies.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
74 for me

Screenshot_20181211-143341.png

Also that first quote lmao
I love it. There are surprisingly few water puns so far.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Is this the first fresh movie for Jason Momoa

Same question for Amber Heard

Im excited for to see it and Spidey back to back Saturday.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Is this the first fresh movie for Jason Momoa

Same question for Amber Heard

Im excited for to see it and Spidey back to back Saturday.

Heard has several fresh movies under her belt, including Zombieland (90%), Pineapple Express (68%), Magic Mike XXL (65%) and The Danish Girl (67%), see more here:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/amber_heard

Momoa in the other hand, yes, unless you count Braven, with 21 positive reviews and 7 rotten at 75%:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/448571481

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These insults towards Venom. Scust at you bitches. Venom was a solid movie. Some of you just have shit taste, as did most of the critics reviewing that movie clearly. Aside from the opening 15 minutes, which were indeed kind of crap, it's pure entertainment thereafter and Tom Hardy's great in it, which is all the movie needed since it essentially becomes an 1 hour and 15 minutes of him chewing scenery alongside Venom.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These insults towards Venom. Scust at you bitches. Venom was a solid movie. Some of you just have shit taste, as did most of the critics reviewing that movie clearly. Aside from the opening 15 minutes, which were indeed kind of crap, it's pure entertainment thereafter and Tom Hardy's great in it, which is all the movie needed since it essentially becomes an 1 hour and 15 minutes of him chewing scenery alongside Venom.
Shit taste, huh?

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder Woman just came out last year.

(which to your point was really aping Cap 1 + Thor 1 anyway, but it'd be silly to deny it wasn't also a giant event)

Wonder Woman was the first big budget superhero film with a female lead.

Only get so many of those. Even the sequel can't bank on that.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah if you've watched both you probably could speak better about this than myself. Gladly I won't be able to compare the two because I'm just watching Aquaman, Venom belongs in the pile of superhero films I've never watched imho: with F4ntastic, Catwoman and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. Never watched those, never will.
Venom is actually much, much better than any of the other films you mentioned. Sure, it's not great or anything, but it's much better IMO than the reviews make it seem to be. Tom Hardy is having the time of his life as Eddie Brock. I personally found it far more enjoyable to watch than, for instance, Ant-Man and the Wasp.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Venom is actually much, much better than any of the other films you mentioned. Sure, it's not great or anything, but it's much better IMO than the reviews make it seem to be. Tom Hardy is having the time of his life as Eddie Brock.

As a Spider-Man fan and by consequence a Venom fan I just can't stomach what Sony is doing with these characters. In lots of ways, it's way worse than the Fox X-Men and Fantastic Four movies, at least those were somewhat still in the spirit of the characters, Venom isn't and can't possibly be in my eyes a good film without having his origin heavily linked to Spider-Man and as a villain, at least at first. Whatever film you watched and enjoyed, it isn't my Venom, as cliche as it is. I'll be fine enjoying Donny Cates Venom comics, which are obviously better than Watchmen:

/s

Last edited:

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
some of you have shit taste for not liking this "solid movie"

Wonder Woman was the first big budget superhero film with a female lead.

Only get so many of those. Even the sequel can't bank on that.

Yeah, it's going to have to make do with just being the hotly anticipated sequel to a massive hit movie :lol

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Anecdotally speaking a lot of people I know who watched Venom really enjoyed it.

I'll give it a watch one day.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen it but several friends (non comic nerds) who saw preview screenings came back calling it just as bad as Justice League, which I frankly find hard to believe, but here we are. Criticisms mainly focused around an utterly predictable and pedestrian script, Momoa's performance or lack thereof, and a lot of sleepwalking actors in front of greenscreens who appeared only vaguely aware of what they were supposed to be doing.

After further questioning they did admit it's a step up from Snyder's horseshit, but it's not anywhere near what Wonder Woman managed to pull off. Second weekend box office should be interesting if this is what word of mouth is going to be.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
So many embarrassing opinions here, and i didnt even talked about how i kinda like " the spirit " yet .

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
The RT percentage is about where I thought it'd be but the general tone of the reviews, even the positive ones, is definitely a bit worrying to me.
I remember being surprised when I saw the running time. It seems like streamlining the movie a bit would have helped greatly. Oh well, I'm still excited to see it.

Edit:
Another thumbs up for Batman and Robin!
The worst sin a superhero movie can commit is to be boring, and that movie is definitely not that. It and Superman 3 are a perfect double feature.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's kinda my point. I'm all for Elseworld stories and not having all their characters tied together and limited by one another. For instance, if Reeves is planning on rebooting Batman for his own story, then more power to him imo.

Sure, that'd be neat. If they don't plan on outright rebooting the DCEU, then basically ignoring its existence is the next best thing as far as I'm concerned.

Venom is a bad movie.

I'd hope Aquaman is better.

Agreed.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I hate RT cache issues with their site. I refresh and never see the stuff update unless I go back to the main page and then MAYBE it'll update when I click back. I just saw the Top Critic Avg go up to 63% now.

Status
Not open for further replies.