• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yi5eH3s.gif

TEYVTko.gif
Venom wouldn't even be half as entertaining if it wasn't for Tom Hardy. Dude shows you just how important it is to have a good actor carrying your movie. Any other mediocre actor in this role, like you tend to have with most of these comic book movies, and it wouldn't be near the success it was. And apparently, he's also the Venom voice. Like, that's a hard carry if I've ever seen it. (Although props to some of the action sequences like the chase and police fight. Those were good.)

Sequel just needs to be 100 minutes of scenery chewing back and forth between him and Woody Harrelson .

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
This whole automatic "lashing out at the other comic company's equivalent" thing is pretty unseemly. I expect to see talk about blast processing and the most bits next.
Man, I wish the DC vs Marvel bullshit was on the level of old school console wars. People just letting their fanboy flags fly and going at it is far more fun than all this "I just want everything to be good for realsies" tiptoe stuff we got now.

Like, none of these films deserve the drama that surrounds them, regardless of how good or bad you think they are. But, if we must have drama, then let's do it with feeling.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Venom wouldn't even be half as entertaining if it wasn't for Tom Hardy. Dude shows you just how important it is to have a good actor carrying your movie. Any other mediocre actor in this role, like you tend to have with most of these comic book movies, and it wouldn't be near the success it was. And apparently, he's also the Venom voice. Like, that's a hard carry if I've ever seen it. (Although props to some of the action sequences like the chase and police fight. Those were good.)

Sequel just needs to be 100 minutes of scenery chewing back and forth between him and Woody Harrelson .

100%

Hardy went all in. I want those 40 minutes of him acting crazy. Some of the set videos looked stupid and hilarious.

vPY2x1V.gif

Last edited:

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Actually it's more a Brie Larson thing. In my opinion she's just a horrible and overrated actress with many of the same faults that people unfairly apply to Gal.
lol wooo boy..

Go watch Room, where she carries a movie pretty much on her own.
Then go watch WW where Gadot, although not bad, is carried hard by Pine.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
100%

Hardy went all in. I want those 40 minutes of him acting crazy. Some of the set videos looked stupid and hilarious.
Yep. You can even tell when the switch happens. You got the first 15 minutes of the movie where it's typical generic stuff and boring as hell. Even his performance is standard. As soon as he's done with the interview that costs him everything and we move forward 6 months, the fun begins. Dude's in the zone from then on where he's acting all brokenhearted and it just gets better as soon as he get infected. Just watching him go all out with the craziness, then Venom's introduced into the mix. It's entertaining as hell. Dude saves the movie basically.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

Toss in Nic Cage's Ghost Rider and there'll be no scenery left.

Oct 28, 2017
lol wooo boy..

Go watch Room, where she carries a movie pretty much on her own.
Then go watch WW where Gadot, although not bad, is carried hard by Pine.

WW was not a good vehicle to demonstrate the acting skills of the actress who plays Wonder Woman. It could have been Meryl Streep and it would have been flat. The script puts Diana in a fish out of water scenario and leaves her there. We never really get to see a new Diana mature from her Amazonian innocence until the cliche third act. It's not until then that shes self possessed and speaking with her own voice and not that of her mother/Amazons.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toss in Nic Cage's Ghost Rider and there'll be no scenery left.
You know what? That's a great idea. They should get Cage for a supporting role. Doesn't have to be Ghost Rider. Just give him something to do in the sequel. Maybe as the chief of police trying to help the city survive Venom and Carnage going at it.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
The charisma of a rock. And people complained that Gal Gadot is a bad actress, maybe but she at least has charisma.

You aint lying there. The trailers for Cpt Marvel havent been good either. I love the MCU and Im gonna go see it, but it looks bad so far. WW otoh looked great in everything and ended up BEING great

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WW was not a good vehicle to demonstrate the acting skills of the actress who plays Wonder Woman. It could have been Meryl Streep and it would have been flat. The script puts Diana in a fish out of water scenario and leaves her there. We never really get to see a new Diana mature from her Amazonian innocence until the cliche third act. It's not until then that shes self possessed and speaking with her own voice and not that of her mother/Amazons.

Even if I agreed with you, Gal in WW is the same Gal in all of her other films.

She seems like a sweet person, but she's hardly a great actress.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
I swear if ERA made a list of the one hundred best living actors/actresses we would be lucky to have a single woman on there.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
The action in venom is so bad, could only watch tentacle arms flailing around for so long.

To each their own tho

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I was predicting 80 to 85 based on the early reactions, but I guess that was a little bit optimistic.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why people pay attention to the RT average. I get why you'd have problems with metacritics number-assigning methodology, but at least that gives them more logical summary statistics.

RT averages inherently "saturate" early both at the upper and lower ends compared to metacritic averages, so they both under and overestimate the value of certain films.

1777758_orig.png

Given RT has a binary input, the summation should be binary (fresh or rotten). Pulling a continuous number out to summarize a group of binary observations doesn't make sense.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to seeing this. What is going on with the DCCU? Are they doing a soft reboot? Keeping some actors and letting some go and all.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Not sure why people pay attention to the RT average. I get why you'd have problems with metacritics number-assigning methodology, but at least that gives them more logical summary statistics.

RT averages inherently "saturate" early both at the upper and lower ends compared to metacritic averages, so they both under and overestimate the value of certain films.

1777758_orig.png

Given RT has a binary input, the summation should be binary (fresh or rotten). Pulling a continuous number out to summarize a group of binary observations doesn't make sense.

The quest to try a pin an exact number out of 10 to determine a film's quality is way dumber than the binary of thumbs up or down.

The idea of then making an algorithm to make an average out of those numbers is even more dumb.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking forward to seeing this. What is going on with the DCCU? Are they doing a soft reboot? Keeping some actors and letting some go and all.

In short, treating each as a franchise within a shared DC universe rather than treating the DC universe as the franchise. I suppose you can call that a soft reboot, but it's more pumping the breaks on the crossovers. You won't see Justice League 2 for quite a while. The focus will be on the Wonder Woman franchise, the Aquaman franchise, the Batman franchise, etc. If that makes sense.

As for actors, the solo movie is gonna be a younger Batman. By necessity, there will be a different actor. Whether or not Affleck sticks around for the modern day, older Batman is unclear. Cavill as Superman is less of a Cavill thing and more of a WB is putting Superman on ice thing. That's the sticking point. Cavill would've needed to resign to do cameos, with no solo movie or crossover on the horizon.

That's for now anyway. You never know how they'll change it tomorrow given how reactionary they are.

Oh, and The Flash is 2021 because Ezra has to film Fantastic Beasts 3. That was before Fantastic Beasts 2 started under performing and Aquaman already did well. So who knows.

Apr 19, 2018
Reading how many reviewers are claiming that the movie nails its final act -- something even Wonder Woman couldn't do -- pleases me. The movie ending on a high note sounds like great news to me.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wonder woman was more DC trash, how anyone likes that movie I don't know. Luckily we have Captain Marvel coming soon and she can give us a good female led superhero film.

I say this as someone who loves the MCU but can we not do this and try to pit two female superheroes movies against each other.

It was bad enough that Hollywood exc stupidly thought that the market didn't care for female superheroes rather than thinking their past attempted failed because they were bad movies.

Oh Brie Larson is so fucking cute.

30+ movies with men in the lead: silence
2 movie with women in the lead: FIGHT!!!!

This. I am not going to partake in this nonsense as Wonder Woman no-man scene was pretty good.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
In short, treating each as a franchise within a shared DC universe rather than treating the DC universe as the franchise. I suppose you can call that a soft reboot, but it's more pumping the breaks on the crossovers. You won't see Justice League 2 for quite a while. The focus will be on the Wonder Woman franchise, the Aquaman franchise, the Batman franchise, etc. If that makes sense.

As for actors, the solo movie is gonna be a younger Batman. By necessity, there will be a different actor. Whether or not Affleck sticks around for the modern day, older Batman is unclear. Cavill as Superman is less of a Cavill thing and more of a WB is putting Superman on ice thing. That's the sticking point. Cavill would've needed to resign to do cameos, with no solo movie or crossover on the horizon.

That's for now anyway. You never know how they'll change it tomorrow given how reactionary they are.

Oh, and The Flash is 2021 because Ezra has to film Fantastic Beasts 3. That was before Fantastic Beasts 2 started under performing and Aquaman already did well. So who knows.
Flash is 20never, No one wants to see that version of the character again

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I told myself I'd be happy with at least a 70%. It's over 70%, so I'm happy. I just wanted an Aquaman movie that's pretty good.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Good to know the movie is fun, my friend's been like "I WANT TO WATCH IT!" because of Momoa, while I wasn't really interested. Though I gotta watch First Man, Grinch, Spiderverse and now this one soon... FFS and there's the Broly tickets to get soon too.

Status
Not open for further replies.