• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I'm hitting the road soon with two more friends so I can get some stuff from work done and then we're going to catch the premiere of this thing later in IMAX. I am excite.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm lazy so can someone pull up quotes from some reviews and stuff to throw in the OP.

Thanks!

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just saw it. Holy shit what a mess of a movie. It's kinda in-between being bad and good. It's entertaining but also pretty cringe-worthy in parts and the plot/characters are super generic.

CGI darts between good and awful at a moment's notice, the romance and "humour" is frequently embarrassing and the tone wavers from scene to scene. There are some super weird choices like
a scene where Mera is given red roses in Italy and thinks they're food so eats them
and a scene where
Black Manta suits up to a Depeche Mode song LMAO

It just feels like a committee-made movie apart from the action which actually feels like Wan.

It was better than Justice League but I would say temper your expectations. It's clearly pandering to the biggest international audience possible with the most flat, laid-out plot and exposition possible.

Bond

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
I just came out my second viewing and it definitely would place this amongst 2018's best comic book releases. It embraces so much of the characters wacky roots while updating elements forded audiences. Rare to see a superhero movie that doesn't shy away from the source material, instead it just bathes in the ridiculousness.

There a problems however which stem from the awkward pacing and bog standard plot (which just feels generic for a strange hero like Aquaman). I also laughed at the awkward licensed music placement, which felt straight out of a cheesy early 2000s superhero romp.

But, I had so much fun with this adventure flick. James Wan literally just goes ape with colourful visuals and simply outstanding fight scene. Warner Bros. Pictures have a mega franchise in the making with Aquaman! That third act is bonkers. Jason Momoa and Amber Heard are also excellent in their roles.

PS: Somebody greenlight a Black Manta solo movie, because that character is just plain old fun. Yahya Abdul-Mateen II just chews up so much scenery! I'd love for future adventures with that stupid costume (which should totally not work but does).

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
man, that isn't a ringing endorsement

In fairness if you're OK with super formulaic origin story stuff and inconsistent CGI it's good enough. I'm just tired of that shit and this had the potential to be so much more imaginative than it was because you can just see Warner Bros. execs' cogs turning while you're watching the film - the decisions are so calculated for that international box office.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
The average score is 0.1 higher than Thor Dark World currently. There must be fun and enjoyable moments in it.
In fairness if you're OK with super formulaic origin story stuff and inconsistent CGI it's good enough. I'm just tired of that shit and this had the potential to be so much more imaginative than it was because you can just see Warner Bros. execs' cogs turning while you're watching the film - the decisions are so calculated for that international box office.
Oh man, you most definitely will enjoy Spider-Verse then. There's nothing formulaic about that movie.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I just came out my second viewing and it definitely would place this amongst 2018's best comic book releases. It embraces so much of the characters wacky roots while updating elements forded audiences. Rare to see a superhero movie that doesn't shy away from the source material, instead it just bathes in the ridiculousness. There a problems however which stem from the awkward pacing and bog standard plot (which just feels generic for a strange hero like Aquaman). I also laughed at the awkward licensed music placement, which felt straight out of a cheesy early 2000s superhero romp.

But, I had so much fun with this adventure flick. James Wan literally just goes ape with colourful visuals and simply outstanding fight scene. Warner Bros. Pictures have a mega franchise in the making with Aquaman! That third act is bonkers. Jason Momoa and Amber Heard are also excellent in their roles.

PS: Somebody greenlight a Black Manta solo movie, because that character is just plain old fun.

Sounds good to me :)

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
It's not the train wreck of BvS or Justice League, but its just so average it hurts.
Momoa's charisma and the stunning special effects are the best things about it.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Just saw it. Holy shit what a mess of a movie. It's kinda in-between being bad and good. It's entertaining but also pretty cringe-worthy in parts and the plot/characters are super generic.

CGI darts between good and awful at a moment's notice, the romance and "humour" is frequently embarrassing and the tone wavers from scene to scene. There are some super weird choices like
a scene where Mera is given red roses in Italy and thinks they're food so eats them
and a scene where

It just feels like a committee-made movie apart from the action which actually feels like Wan.

It was better than Justice League but I would say temper your expectations. It's clearly pandering to the biggest international audience possible with the most flat, laid-out plot and exposition possible.

Are you calling non-US audiences stupid ? It's a fun movie . It will be eaten up both outside US and inside US because it's wild, it's cheesy and it knows it is . It's not serious like any past dceu movies not even OG superman.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

and a scene where

I love depeche mode but what the fuck lol

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
I just came out my second viewing and it definitely would place this amongst 2018's best comic book releases. It embraces so much of the characters wacky roots while updating elements forded audiences. Rare to see a superhero movie that doesn't shy away from the source material, instead it just bathes in the ridiculousness.

There a problems however which stem from the awkward pacing and bog standard plot (which just feels generic for a strange hero like Aquaman). I also laughed at the awkward licensed music placement, which felt straight out of a cheesy early 2000s superhero romp.

PS: Somebody greenlight a Black Manta solo movie, because that character is just plain old fun. Yahya Abdul-Mateen II just chews up so much scenery! I'd love for future adventures with that stupid costume (which should totally not work but does).
Can't wait

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
How good are the visuals? I'm hearing a range from dogshit to stunning as you've described them.

Totally mixed bag. Still shots of Atlantis look amazing as does a lot of the big-scale action, but de-aged Willem Dafoe looks like hot garbage, and there's a scene in Orm's chamber that looks like a PS3 game.

Also a lot of the dialogue scenes underwater look really off. Some uncanny valley shit.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Huge disparity between the overall review and top critics. When all is said and done it will probably come in <60%.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
So this movie is about as good as the first Thor.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I sadly completely stopped caring about the DCEU the second they decided to get rid of Superman.

Happy for the people making the movie if it does well. But I won't be seeing this. At least not in the theaters.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
James Wan basically took elements of Thor, Thor Ragnarok, Black Panther, Indiana Jones, The Hobbit Battle of the Five Armies and Percy Jackson Sea of Monsters and made it into one film.

I thought personally the first act was only decent but after that I quite enjoyed it. I can see why a fair amout of critics didn't like it but I reckon the general audience will lap this up.

Best DCEU film for me.

Oct 28, 2017
So all the DCU movies not involving Zach Snyder have turned out anywhere from decent to great.

Color me shocked.

Shocked I tell ya.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
So all the DCU movies not involving Zach Snyder have turned out anywhere from decent to great.

Color me shocked.

Shocked I tell ya.

By all accounts this one seems to be a perfectly fine film, but if the next MCU film came out anywhere close to 75% fresh, fans would be roasting it alive as the worst thing ever.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
So far the movie is at 75% on RT.
Will be watching it tomorrow so I'm psyched to see Aquabro and Black Manta duke it out.

I am also for Black Manta solo movie long as it has him optic blasting shit.

ZDKilljoy

Managing Editor at BunnyGaming
Verified
Oct 3, 2018
Malaysia
Saw this last night. The wife and I thought it was good but not great. Some of the dialogue is quite cringe worthy. But it is definitely much better than Justice League.

Throughout the movie I just kept thinking how they managed to make an Aquaman movie feel so much more epic in size and scale than Justice League.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still convinced that film gets way too much hate.
For as much shit people give Snyder(a lot of it deserved). The man has a really strong sense of visual style and honestly I would like to see him return on another project. Just have him direct and not write, and do not let Terrio touch anything again.

Snyder directed Crime Syndicate could be pretty cool if it doesn't take itself super seriously

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I'm honestly legitimately impressed by this film. Momoa is still pretty much rough around the edges and the film weakest link, but I see the potential of him eventually getting better. I need to see it again, but my impression so far is that while the story is indeed the formulaic origin story, it might rivalize Infinity War to me in terms of spectacle.

It's way better than an Aquaman film had any right to be, especially after how atrocious BvS and JL were. It's not the best DC film in the DCEU imho, that's still Wonder Woman, but it's definitely top 3 in my favorite superhero films this year, after Infinity War and Black Panther.

I would rate this a solid 9/10. Also, this is going to breakout and breakout hard. WOM will be insane.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Idk guys, I recently watched Man of Steel and I have to say, nothing comes close to that first hour.

Gorgeous, gorgeous film

http://i.imgur.com/8eZW1md.jpg
Nope, still trash. Aquaman in terms of spectacle though, it's a masterpiece. Prettiest film among the DCEU outings and arguably at the same level in spectacle than Infiny War. Yes, I went there. In terms of a solo superhero outing, I'd argue that it's unbeatable. It feels like the Avatar of superhero films, I honestly can't believe how visually stunning Aquaman is.

Status
Not open for further replies.