• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-12-06-ar-vr-spending-to-jump-69-percent-in-2019-idc

Augmented reality and virtual reality are poised to grow at a surprisingly steady pace over the next four years. According to market intelligence firm IDC, worldwide spending on AR and VR products and services will be up 69% next year, and will sport a five-year compound annual growth rate inching closer to 70% from 2017 through 2022.

Those numbers are pulled from the most recent update to IDC's Worldwide Semiannual Augmented and Virtual Reality Spending Guide, which puts this year's AR/VR tally at $12.1 billion and next year's at $20.4 billion.

IDC also released some numbers on the recent performance of VR hardware, with GameDaily.biz reporting that the firm found VR enjoying a positive third quarter of shipments. From July through September, global VR headset shipments were up 8.2% to 1.9 million units. Among tethered headsets, PSVR led the way with 463,000 units shipped. The Oculus Rift shipped 300,000 units, while HTC's Vive added another 230,000 headsets to the channel.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was always skeptical of those huge numbers some of the analysts were originally pushing for VR -- it was clear it would always be niche. So, after all the doom & gloom about it, it's nice to see steady, sustainable growth.

All I know is that the recent games for PSVR have been amazing - Astrobot, Tetris, and Beat Saber have all blown me away.

Travless

Mar 7, 2018
820.jpeg

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Game library, percieved potential, price, marketing. These are the things that worked for game consoles. I believe they will work for VR.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was so close to getting one but decided against it for now since I have too many games I need to catch up on already.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope momentum is big enoug to justify PSVR 2.0 in 2-3 years. I avoided the first one because it didn't match my demands with respect to sheer specs. I really hope the next generation leap will be as big as the one between PS1 and PS2 games, at the very least.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Momentum thankfully keeps increasing. None of the main VR headsets lost users, and stuff like the Vive doubled their monthly active users. Stuff like Beat Saber selling pretty well. Nice to see.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
I'm definitely curious what those Black Friday numbers for PSVR is. Been a great year for it software wise too so I'm not surprised to see it leading the market.

I'm just glad to see VR showing early signs of taking off. Been loving my PSVR since I got it on Black Friday and definitely want to invest in a PCVR sometime in the future.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
I love my Samsung Gear VR, and I don't know why I still don't own a Playstation VR. I guess I was waiting for No Man's Sky VR support, but that never happend.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I hope Sony and other companies keep investing in VR. It's going to be a great medium, but only if it keeps being supported and development goes on.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll definitely be diving into VR at some point, but for me it just feels like it makes more sense to wait until next gen.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I was at home with my head stuck in wipeout right now. Normal reality sucks.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Cool! I have a PSVR and love Astro Bot, Tetris Effect, etc., but I still find VR to be a hassle hardware-wise. I don't have a good place to store it, so it goes in the closet... and out of sight, out of mind means I don't think of playing VR games when looking at my library. First world problems, but it's a weird thing.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Had PSVR since day 1, Haven't looked back since. Flat TV gaming has it's place, But this gen alone my best gaming memories have been in VR, My friend also says same thing. PS5/PSVR2 will be the perfect combo.

Be a shame if RE8 isn't VR as RE7 alone makes PSVR worthwhile, And For the Cyberpunk fans check out AirCar VR, For a glimpse of what could be possible, Aint no going back after experiencing that.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
So there will be more investments made to match the undeniable market growth?

Wonderful news.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Great news. It's important psvr keeps up momentum for the next 2 years to justify it's relaunch on the ps5.