1. Birdseye

Birdseye
    Member OP

MOD EDIT
    - Please refrain from making wide generalizations about people who practice homebrew.
    - Encouraging piracy is against the ToS. Do not state that is is fine to pirate video games in any way.

Thank you for your cooperation.

From https://gbatemp.net/threads/arbitrary-code-execution-on-4-x.496799/

2. Stitch

Stitch

Stability update incoming in 3..2...1..

3. sweet. now people can preserve Bayonetta 3 when it leaks early

4. Grylvak

Grylvak

Amazing progress. I can’t wait to see legit custom themes

5. Dead

6. Escalario

Escalario

Welp there goes any 3rd party games getting any decent sales.

7. Too early for casual pirates to care.

8. Cypher

Cypher
    Banned Member

Good. Homebrew is great.

9. Dragonzdogma

Dragonzdogma

I have no idea what I just read.
    Normally I would ask any question to get me started, but I don't even know where to start.

10. thediamondage

thediamondage

Whats the current switch firmware revision anyways? Haven't turned mine on in a couple of weeks, I should probably turn off auto update system and all that jazz. On the other hand, I only buy a few games for my switch anyways and I'd like to play online when they bring their services up so probably easiest just to keep updating and maybe buy a second switch down the road when they crack the system wide open.

11. Dreamboum

Dreamboum

God, I hope homebrews are going to be a thing soon so it can become the ultimate emulator machine it should have been. We could even see GC emulation happening.

12. Escalario

Escalario

Not with that CPU.

13. It's already happening officially.

14. Ingueferroque

Ingueferroque

Now we know how that Johnny Turbo thing got released.

15. Rigby

Rigby

Fantastic news

16. Social

Social

Latest version: 4.1.0 (Distributed 12/04/2017)

17. Please don't let this turn the Switch into an eventual PSP 2.0.

18. Escalario

Escalario

You mean the ports of Wii games for the chinese Shield market? Emulation is a whole another beast, and you can't compare Android's version of Dolphin running on a X1 Shield because Switch's CPU is significantly downclocked even in docked mode comparred to it.

19. the hardware probably isn't an issue. the nvidia shield shares it and has official ports of emulated wii and gc games - without the overhead of android, i'm sure the switch can handle GC at the minimum.

20. Give me a reason for Nintendo to get Dolphin running on Chinese hardware that's stupidly similar to their own version of the same chip?

21. Pikma

Pikma

How embarrassing for Nintendo

22. TeenageFBI

TeenageFBI

I actually have a spare Switch for eventual homebrew use. It’s currently on 2.3 or so. Should I update to the current firmware or leave it where it is?

23. Kouriozan

Kouriozan

We're almost one year in and there is still no way to transfer or backup saves, hope this'll make Nintendo react faster.

24. Birdseye

Birdseye
    Member OP

Always stay on the lowest firmware, don't update

25. Leave it. It's better than trying to figure out a way to go back to an older firmware.

26. Malakai

Malakai

You should do your research on the X1 CPU in the SHIELD. There is a reason why Nintendo chose those clocks.

27. Cinemikel

Cinemikel

Can't wait to preserve only the biggest and best games that'll sell millions on the system the day it comes out that will for some indescribable reason will be hard to find in 2 years at least that's what I'm saying will happen as an excuse. People will appreciate my preservation of history and find me in my moral right to do so!

"At least that's what I tell myself to make me feel better about myself doing this"

28. Is there a way to turn auto updating off?

29. Guymelef

Guymelef

Translated Mother 3 finally.

30. PogiJones

PogiJones

Really bad news for everyone not into homebrew or pirating. I wish these people would stop.

31. Escalario

Escalario

Pretty sure that the Wii ports to Nvidia Shield were made by Nvidia, not Nintendo.

32. Pikachu

Pikachu

Repeating:

Not care much about pirating games...

...Care that hopefully it'll get Nintendo off their asses RE: VC.

33. Blargu

Blargu

Looking forward to finally being able to back up my saves.

34. Alienhated

Alienhated

But weren't people here talking about how much the Switch was uncrackable and stuff? I'm confused.

35. maximumzero

maximumzero

No thanks, I'd rather update when necessary and enjoy the games I own.

36. They're not ports - decompiled code is saying that it's emulated for sure.

37. SaberVS7

SaberVS7

Hmm, though what about games that refuse to run on anything less than the current firmware and come packed with a forced-update for the firmware when ran?

I know that was a thing with the Xbox 360, and apparently for the PS4 too.

But yeah man, I really don't want the Switch to go the way of the PirateStationPortable. System was basically cut short in the west because the industry collectively decided to stop localizing PSP games because of piracy.

38. Vena

Vena
    Community Resettler Member

Entirely nVidia, has little to do with Nintendo.

39. Taco_Human

Taco_Human

Excited to actually have save back ups, but hopefully Nintendo does something about that soon.

40. Birdseye

Birdseye
    Member OP

Please provide sources when insinuating things

41. GhostTrick

GhostTrick

Isn't the CPU clock on Switch like a lot lower, even taking account the downclock for power profiles on Shield TV ?

42. -shadow-

-shadow-

I'll admit. I laughed.

43. Abstrusity

Abstrusity

See, now I HAVE to get a Switch.

44. I said, damn.

45. gaiadyne

gaiadyne

We're definitely due for an update, although I doubt Nintendo is going to give me a reason to update

46. Alienhated

Alienhated

I'm not insinuating anything, i'm asking because i can't remember. I just recall some user telling everyone that the Switch was not going to be cracked due to some "fuses" system, what about that?

47. Barry Bonds

Barry Bonds
    Banned Member

Fixed

Emulators WOOOOOOO!!!!!

48. Kolx

Kolx

Isn't there a rule against turning homebrew threads into whining about piracy? I'm pretty sure gaf had one to prevent it from turning into a shitshow and then getting closed.

49. El Pescado

El Pescado

Is this something Nintendo can’t fix with a firmware update? I’d rather not have this happen so early in a system’s lifetime.

50. Notaskwid

Notaskwid

Good thing the switch doesn't allow users to normally access the web browser or backup their saves.