• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017

Arby has a history of shithead decisions that are boiled down to "own the vegans" and has executives who actively are disgusted about the thought of offering plant-based options.

Their marketing division must be run by an adult-child. Since you would think after years of declining sales Arby would change things up.
that news article describes a help line for vegans tempted by Arby's sugar encrusted bacon.

I find that to be a bit funny more than a horrible troll to "own the vegans" or "own the libs".
a silly joke, but only that.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
that news article describes a help line for vegans tempted by Arby's sugar encrusted bacon.

I find that to be a bit funny more than a horrible troll to "own the vegans" or "own the libs".
Because we live in a reality where people who refer to themselves as vegans are tempted by Arby's sugar encrusted bacon.

Let's not be obtuse.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

a silly joke, but only that.
It's trolling, needless and petty and motivated by the usual anti-lib nonsense.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Because we live in a reality where people who refer to themselves as vegans are tempted by Arby's sugar encrusted bacon.

Let's not be obtuse.
vegetarians have written about their exception for bacon. Bacon memes talk about how it is powerful enough to convert non meat eaters.
I don't actually think they were seriously trying to support tempted vegans, just crafting the joke.

It's trolling, needless and petty and motivated by the usual anti-lib nonsense.
i disagree, but that's cool.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The P.R. strategy is clearly to just keep pushing clickbait stuff that certain people will get REALLY MAD ABOUT and share because they don't understand they're being trolled and it's well, working.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
vegetarians have written about their exception for bacon. Bacon memes talk about how it is powerful enough to convert non meat eaters.
I don't actually think they were seriously trying to support tempted vegans, just crafting the joke.
Vegan =/= Vegetarian, with the former choosing to prioritize animal cruelty and suffering as a part of their dietary decisions.

Arby is being a dick about the fact that the chain is unwilling to add meatless options, and has done so for years. "crafting a joke" in the form of needless trolling that the chain has been criticized about before.

Simply put, it isn't that serious and the only party who is taking it too seriously is Arby for creating marketing campaigns around their unwillingness to add other options. No one is protesting outside of Arby's to add meatless options.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hey look, if I was going to trust a company to make the most insane food monstrosities, it would be the fast food business.

Edit: It doesn't crunch? Do better mad scientists!

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Vegan =/= Vegetarian, with the former choosing to prioritize animal cruelty and suffering as a part of their dietary decisions.

Arby is being a dick about the fact that the chain is unwilling to add meatless options, and has done so for years. "crafting a joke" in the form of needless trolling that the chain has been criticized about before.

Simply put, it isn't that serious and the only party who is taking it too seriously is Arby for creating marketing campaigns around their unwillingness to add other options. No one is protesting outside of Arby's to add meatless options.

well from my perspective as a meat eater : "Lol, this is the dumbest shit in the world. hahaha a vegetable made out of meat!"
I guess I do not read into all the other things that people are getting from this. If people think Arbys feels threatened by Beyond Meat and is trying to stop the meatless movement by stirring shit versus just making a harmless gag, that is fair. I just don't agree.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
You must be fun at parties

Eh there's an element to this certainly of "Look what a fun corporation we are!" but there's also a bit of a subversive message (particularly given Arby's stated objective to never offer veggie options) of "Fuck people trying to reduce meat consumption for environmental reasons"

So the whole "fun at parties" meme isn't really applicable here - it's just kind of shitty position to be taking. Like, just offer your meat and say nothing?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Just waiting for Arby's to announce that they're forcing people to take three straws and getting rid of their separate bins for recycling.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
What ever gets you going i guess, thats certainly going to gather support from a certain portion of people

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to see a entire meal where the veg is made of meat and the meat is made of veg

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Literally something that is a waste of time, money and will never be sold in their restaurants so it's really kinda hard to look at this as something that isn't a petty retort to the meatless wave.

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
Should have called it karrot, not marrot. Japan gave us krab with a k. Arby's gave us karrot with a k.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally something that is a waste of time, money and will never be sold in their restaurants so it's really kinda hard to look at this as something that isn't a petty retort to the meatless wave.
It's a marketing gimmick based off of hate-fueled clickbait that they know will rile people up and spread it virally far more than it should because people have an unfortunate widely shared trait of taking people they don't like at face value even when they shouldn't.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
But why?

I mean if it is equivalent of a vegetable product but made of meat why don't use the real thing which is probably cheaper to produce. Not to mention that the trending is to substitute animal based meals for vegetables ones, not the opposite. Who is the target market for this? Vegetable haters?

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
Finally, guilt-free vegetables. I can finally get my vitamin A without feeling about about all those, uh, seeds being, um... buried alive?

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
There are a ton of conservative vegetarians and vegans. Liberals don't own that cause. I'm sure you know the famous example of a far-right icon who ate no meat, so I won't go there. However, not everything needs to be a line in the sand.
I think they said that because their stubborn refusal to add an impossible meat product to their menu makes absolutely no sense. It goes with that same mentality that Trump supporters have, "This is how things should be! Fuck change!"

Dec 31, 2017
Looks gross.
Hilarious though.

This boards head would explode at Sega and Sony and the truck companies just blatantly shitting on the competition.

Last edited:

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they said that because their stubborn refusal to app an impossible meat product to their menu makes absolutely no sense. It goes with that same mentality that Trump supporters have, "This is how things should be! Fuck change!"

I think they do it at their own peril. I have like 7 friends total and all of them have been vegetarian at one time, 3 of them are actively vegetarian and one is a vegan. They want fast food sometimes, too.

And, you're right. This feels somewhat mean-spirited, which is harder to shrug off in this 'own-the-libs' T_D environment.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
Arby's: "We have spent months doing absolutely zero product research, and we have determined that no one on Earth wants what we are excited to announce today..."

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
This thread reminded me I haven't been to Arby's in a while, so I went there for lunch today and got a delicious chicken sandwich.

This is dumb though.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The product for people who complain about vegans every day even though they've met like two in their entire lives.