• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, getting tired of these corporations trying to be people. They're not.
hqdefault.jpg

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to report that tweet in the OP now has a whopping 104(!), in words, a hundred and four, likes. This truly is a shitstorm of immense proportions and whoever runs Arby's is totally done for

Deleted member 20850

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, I guess anime and manga are so full of underage girls who are often still sexualized that a term like "waifu" had to be invented that is based on wife but totally doesn't mean the same or even a similar thing.

Why would you base it on wife if that possible double meaning is not intended? Maybe a convenient coincidence.

And thus you can easily have a child waifu like in this case.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand people sometimes. Me and my girlfriend watch plenty of anime yet we don't react to things the way some people here are reacting. Why does this happen ?

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously. Why would anyone want to waste their time being upset at something so incredibly trivial?
No one is upset. People are just pointing out that it comes across as if Gary Glitter is now CEO of Arby's. There are emotions between 'Totally okay with this' and 'Totally outraged'.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's specifically making fun of the "1000 year old dragon" excuse every single pedo anime has. I mean, this is full on Poe's Law in real life? What the fuck is going on with ERA these days?

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
This is the dumbest fucking for people to be outraged over.

This really is the worst timeline.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017

It seems the only people really outraged are those coming in here thinking people are outraged by the issue.

People just find the wording dodgy and that companies should prbably spend more than two seconds thinking out what they're tweeting if they're going to use slang.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017

The thing is that it's largely not a thing people are outraged over. This thread is likely the epicenter of outrage over this on the web because the tone of the OP let people know it was something they were supposed to be mad at. If you look at the replies to the tweet there's basically nobody upset. The best you get is people saying "WTF!?" and the one Tweet singled out in the OP.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, wanting someone to lose their job over that tweet.
This PR person meant to call her Arby-tan instead of mai waifu, big fucking deal. Better activate the nuclear option!

Oct 25, 2017
Where is she being sexualized and where are they claiming she's a different age to defend the sexualization?
That looks like a chibi to me, so I don't see the issue.
It's specifically making fun of the "1000 year old dragon" excuse every single pedo anime has. I mean, this is full on Poe's Law in real life? What the fuck is going on with ERA these days?
The #wokebrands strike yet again

The thing is that it's largely not a thing people are outraged over. This thread is likely the epicenter of outrage over this on the web because the tone of the OP let people know it was something they were supposed to be mad at. If you look at the replies to the tweet there's basically nobody upset. The best you get is people saying "WTF!?" and the one Tweet singled out in the OP.
You all kind of suck. There's really not much "outrage" in this thread, but there is certainly judgment (which I think is appropriate given the connotations) and I'm sure that doesn't sit well with you.

Honestly i have more of a issue with the word "waifu" than anything else in that tweet.
Yeah I think that's the point. "waifu" in conjunction with the artstyle, although some people are hand-waving by suggesting wiafu really only means favourite now

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Ololololol

The teacher who says "mai waifu" in Azumanga is a full on dodgy pervert.
And? The show is still pretty wholesome. None of the characters are ever sexualised, not even with "zomg innocent kiss" routine you see in most high school dramas. Not even from the point of view of the teacher, who is constantly called out on his creepiness.
Well, I guess anime and manga are so full of underage girls who are often still sexualized that a term like "waifu" had to be invented that is based on wife but totally doesn't mean the same or even a similar thing.

Why would you base it on wife if that possible double meaning is not intended? Maybe a convenient coincidence.
What are you babbling about? It's from this scene:

That's it.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I've seen "waifu" used with a child character, except by certain types of people. Seeing as how she's drawn like a clothed normal kid, I'm not sure the person running their Twitter account is fully understanding of the conotation behind that stupid word.

captainpat

Nov 15, 2017
If they're just saying she's 54 years old because the brand is 54 years old and not because "so it's ok to fuck her" seems fine with me.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018

Yeah I get that. I'm really just commenting on this forum. The amount of outrage here is hard to deal with sometimes.