• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, I go with Rare's explanation that Cranky is the original DK and the current DK is Jr all grown up. It makes sense because DK Jr. is in Super Mario Kart on SNES but he's DK in Mario Kart 64.

Yes. And Jr is his son, who disappeared and may have become Fedora Kong. His grandson is the good Donkey Kong.

Ask yourself this- why does the Smash trophy say DK's first appearance was Country and not Jr?

Again, because that is actually is first appearance as DK and not Jr. Jr is his son and he grew up to be the current DK. It's in the DKC and DK64 instruction manuals.

The only problem with this is that isn't the DKC Donkey Kong the same as the one in Donkey Kong 94 where there is a Donkey Kong Jr referred to as such?

bu1rakny6rllptqaoakirvxp8he3vsg7lpht4aaaaasuvork5cyii.png

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Picked this up a couple days ago and been playing it. I have played platformers all my life and this game destroys me. I can't get past 2 cycles of the stages. lol

I have to say I prefer the Japanese enhanced version to the international version, since I like being introduced to all 4 stages right away before the difficulty increases.

Anyways hope this is successful and leads to DK Jr. and DK3!

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
The only problem with this is that isn't the DKC Donkey Kong the same as the one in Donkey Kong 94 where there is a Donkey Kong Jr referred to as such?

bu1rakny6rllptqaoakirvxp8he3vsg7lpht4aaaaasuvork5cyii.png

The 94 means it was released in 94. Doesn't mean it takes place after DKC, etc. Actually, the fact that the game starts with the 4 screens of the original game tells me it's set in the time of the DK Arcade game and expanding on that "story". That also means it takes place between DK and DK Jr.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure DKJr and DK3 will come too. Maybe also Super Punch-Out and Arm Wrestling. Stuff before DK is probably out though, no one's playing $8 for Sheriff, Othello or Nintendo's Space Invaders clones.

I wish Popeye was a possibility but the license is proably too much of a headache. It's too bad because all the home ports came nowhere close to the arcade original, unlike DK and Mario.

Rezae

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't really on my radar when I first heard of it coming but after seeing this thread... $8, why not?

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
So wait they DIDNT clear up copyright for this and its now programmed by Nintendo right.

I know this is pedantic but then doesnt that mean this isnt the exact arcade version?

Just a reminder to folks, this was not programmed nor published by Nintendo. This was published by HAMSTER under their Arcade Archives line who had to license the original arcade rom from the original license holders (Nintendo, Ikegami, etc.).

This was probably the only way this game would ever see the light of day. Nintendo would have been too stubborn to pay a fee to Ikegami, and Ikegami would not have let Nintendo put this game out there without some sort of compensation.

I'm sure DKJr and DK3 will come too. Maybe also Super Punch-Out and Arm Wrestling. Stuff before DK is probably out though, no one's playing $8 for Sheriff, Othello or Nintendo's Space Invaders clones.

I wish Popeye was a possibility but the license is proably too much of a headache. It's too bad because all the home ports came nowhere close to the arcade original, unlike DK and Mario.

Punch-Out!!! is already on the Switch, probably might see Super Punch-Out and DKJr. at some point.

Would love to see Popeye and some of the other Vs. games like Excitebike or Mach Rider. If there is ever any hope of seeing Popeye, it would be with this collection since Hamster would have to figure out the licensing issues and not Nintendo (who has always been weird and stingy about these kinds of things).

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017

Unless the goalposts get pushed back again (which they probably will, by Disney, in an attempt to hold onto Mickey Mouse for another generation), Popeye is currently scheduled to enter the public domain in 2024. That might not clear the way entirely for a rerelease, but it'd certainly help.

Cbrun44

Oh, cool. It would be... weird... if it got a single vote in a year when God of War and numerous other games came out. But cool. Haha.

Honestly, in a hypothetical world where I had to choose the existence of an arcade perfect port of Donkey Kong OR God of War. The choice would be quite simple for me... Donkey Kong. And I loved God of War (would have the platinum if not for the final fucking Valkyrie.)

My ultimate point being I'd put the Arcade perfect port of Donkey Kong over God of War. If that's what GOY voting allows. So not weird for a single vote.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I feel too young to understand how important this is, but I do like OG Dankey Kang. I'll probably grab this sometime on a whim in the future.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I would have paid triple the price without hesitation, and I suspect I wouldn't be the only one.

Not to my knowledge -- everything I've heard is that this is a straight emulation of the original arcade ROMs. If it's a remake it's insanely precise, down to the bugs.
So wait they DIDNT clear up copyright for this and its now programmed by Nintendo right.

I know this is pedantic but then doesnt that mean this isnt the exact arcade version?

According to the Nintendo E3 Treehouse stream, NOA were requested to go into their archive basement and copy the ROM of the Sky Skipper arcade machine that they still have. I'm also guessing they copied their own Donkey Kong machines too.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
most obviously, they would have went through the effort of disabling having to feed credits to the thing.

There's actually a button to add credits. That's the biggest indicator it's an arcade ROM. The other big indicator is that pausing just brings up the emulator screen. There's no native pause function.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017

YASS! Popeye is literally one of my holy grails- LOVED that game. Had the Colecovision version back in the day with its crummy graphics (the entire Popeye sprite turned green when it ate spinach), but I'd love the OG arcade game for my Switch.

But like you said- the license- and whatnot- probably not happening.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
According to the Nintendo E3 Treehouse stream, NOA were requested to go into their archive basement and copy the ROM of the Sky Skipper arcade machine that they still have. I'm also guessing they copied their own Donkey Kong machines too.
Nah, that's because only ten Sky Skipper machines were ever made, and the one at NOA was at a known location and condition. In comparison, finding Donkey Kong ROMs is relatively easy.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Weird to bump this old thread, but especially has time has gone by I just want to confirm something and didn't wanna make a new thread.

Is this truly an arcade perfect port? The international version in particular. I love shooting for DK high scores but if it's not essentially the exact same game as the cab I don't want to bother.

I somehow missed this release and I'm gonna pick it up ASAP if it is.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Weird to bump this old thread, but especially has time has gone by I just want to confirm something and didn't wanna make a new thread.

Is this truly an arcade perfect port? The international version in particular. I love shooting for DK high scores but if it's not essentially the exact same game as the cab I don't want to bother.

I somehow missed this release and I'm gonna pick it up ASAP if it is.
Yes. These are the actual Donkey Kong arcade ROMs running on the Switch within Hamster's presentation wrapper. So yes, it's the real deal.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. These are the actual Donkey Kong arcade ROMs running on the Switch within Hamster's presentation wrapper. So yes, it's the real deal.

That's amazing, thanks so much for the clarification. Can't believe I haven't picked this up yet. Gonna snag it now. This'll be my Switch's primary use for quite some time lol

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'd LOVE to know how they managed to get this feud with Ikegami settled finally. Then again Rare must've done Olympic trapeze flips to get the arcade original (right?) into DK64 back in 1999.

Or was that a ground-up port?