• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
On the eShop right now according to the Treehouse stream.

You get the original glitchy one, the Japanese, one and the international one all in one package! Looks and plays like a dream! It is out right now and it is 7.99 USD!

And yes, this is the first time it gets release. NOE did do a DK release via BC for Wii with all 4 stages, but it was a modified NES ROM and not the real deal.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sky skipper too. Neat surprise release.
Announcement was done by someone working with Nintendo of America for 36 years since the beginning. Pauline is named after his wife

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Woohoo! This is insanity. Never ever thought it would happen!

I've got an original D.K. cabinet sitting right next to me in my home office. Now it's not the only way to play the original code any more! :p

OP
OP
Redhead On Moped
Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
5e79b117-ede2-42d4-ap9kjs.jpeg

Icon.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It won't be a bigger deal than Mother 3 to most on this forum, but in reality, this is actually a bigger deal than Mother 3.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
It won't be a bigger deal than Mother 3 to most on this forum, but in reality, this is actually a bigger deal than Mother 3.

Cross posting from the EU thread for those unaware.

logo_ikegami.gif

Ikegami Tsushinki

Ikegami Tsushinki was founded on February 21, 1948 and made the first Mario Game which was called Donkey Kong. Nintendo did not have programmers so they decided to work with the programmers at the company Ikegami Tsushinki.

Ikegami Tsushinki is a Japanese manufacturer specializing in television equipment. In the mid-1980s, the corporation operated a video game division that assisted with the manufacturing and programming of various arcade games, including Donkey Kong. Though not credited, the company frequently left messages in the game's ROM data indicating their involvement.

History with the Mario series:

Ikegami Tsukinshi had previously signed a contract with Nintendo for the programming and manufacturing of arcade games, Donkey Kong included. During its development, Shigeru Miyamoto would produce various ideas and characters that Ikegami would then program into the game.

The contract gave Ikegami exclusive rights for manufacturing Donkey Kong arcade boards. Nintendo did not fulfill this agreement and then made their own which is when the lawsuit began. Nintendo hired another contractor called Iwasaki Engineering to disassemble and reverse engineer Donkey Kong so that Nintendo could add new graphics, stages, and mechanics for a sequel.

http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/forums/index.php?topic=6126.0

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Would this version be acceptable to Twin Galaxies if I'm trying to break the world record now that Billy Mitchel is out of the picture?

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It took Nintendo way too long to sort this shit out but it's nice that they're taking their arcade history more seriously lately.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god, gotta pick this up. Now we don't need DK64 for the best home console version of arcade DK. :P

Wonder if we get DK Jr. and DK3 after this.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I will buy this as soon as someone here confirms firsthand that it's the arcade ROMs.

What are the differences between the three, anyway?

Short answer: this is the first legal home port of the ORIGINAL arcade game. All other versions were remakes.
On the "later" version Mario can climb a ladder halfway, stick his hand above ground and this prevents barrels falling down the ladder and killing him. In "original" this never existed.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will buy this as soon as someone here confirms firsthand that it's the arcade ROMs.

What are the differences between the three, anyway?

Short answer: this is the first legal home port of the ORIGINAL arcade game. All other versions were remakes.

I just played for around 15 minutes. It's the arcade game.

One difference I immediately noticed is the earliest version has you play through all 4 levels from the start. In the final international game, each cycle adds a new level. In the first playthrough, for example, you only play the first and last levels, not all 4.

OP
OP
Redhead On Moped
Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
I just played for around 15 minutes. It's the arcade game.

One difference I immediately noticed is the earliest version has you play through all 4 levels from the start. In the final international game, each cycle adds a new level. In the first playthrough, for example, you only play the first and last levels, not all 4.
Yep, they mentioned this is the stream.

This is, to most, the optimal rom for play is the later JPN version.