• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
So I played through Bad Dudes VS Dragonninja yesterday (it plays "rough" nowadays btw..) and while I appreciate johnny turbos arcade efforts with all the screenfilters (scanlines, svideo,rpg etc) there is still something off with the picture quality.
It might be due the fact that CRT monitors are VASTLY superior for oldschool bitmap graphics but still, it's def not how I remembered the game to look.
There is some kind of fuzz present and colors seem to be oversaturated.

Its not my TV settings btw as neogeo and psykio games look brilliant.

Next game from johnny arcade will be sly spy(awesome game) for switch next week. I'm curious if it has the same problems

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I'm really tempted with 'Sly Spy'.

'Rolling Thunder' is one of my absolute favorite classic arcade games, and 'Sly Spy' seems to be heavily inspired in 'Rolling Thunder'.

But without the option of switching the dips to change the difficulty, I have the impression of being paying for incomplete versions of these games.

What a disgrace to have the superb catalogue of Data Eats in the hands of a company taking zero care in the preservation work.

Oct 27, 2017
So is there any chance of ever seeing Rage of the Dragons on here? Is there anything legally preventing them from releasing it? I spent a lot of time playing it with friends at the mall I used to work at, so I have kind of a soft spot for it.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Oh hey... Sly Spy.
I remember this game. Even wrote up a short piece on it several years back. I may as well post it here:
Data East's Sly Spy features the easiest boss in arcade game history. Basically he's an Oddjob kinda fellow who throws his hat. All you do is duck his hat, then stand up and shoot him. Okay yes you do have to perform this action more than once to take him down but really that's all there is to it. The boss never decides to throw his hat low to the ground or in some sort of wonky angle. Maybe this was supposed to be a parody of the movie Goldfinger. You see, if Bond actually had a gun when he was in the Vault with Oddjob there wouldn't be a long fight or much of any tension. Bond would have ducked when Oddjob threw his hat, then shot him in the face.

Why did I bring this up? Because that's all I really remember about Sly Spy. This is a game that lacks tension. Sometimes tension has to be created by forcing scenarios that are outside the player's control. It happens often in other videogames, admittedly not so often in arcade titles. Still these games tend to find other ways to create tension, because they're clever like that. Sly Spy however seems content with merely having the player shoot their way through dozens of men until the stage ends. It's not exactly an easy game but it lacks everything that makes similar titles such as Rolling Thunder or E-Swat work. From the outset you're given a generous health meter and even though ammo is limited you'll usually get enough of it to wipe out entire countries. Data East couldn't...oh I don't know, maybe make one or the other more limited? Make that gun something important that you'd want to save for some serious problems. The only time it doesn't become a factor is if a boss manages to slap it out of your hand. Other than that the game basically tells me "Haha I'm gunning down a bunch of nobodies. I'm the best spy."

Altogether Sly Spy just isn't an interesting game. It's so banal and such a chore to trudge through that I honestly wonder how anyone could find it enjoyable. If you're going to basically have Oddjob and a handful of other Bond villains in a videogame, why not pull more and better ideas from the movies? Pretty sure Bond couldn't just walk into any heavily-fortified location and shoot everyone. In fact this game should have never left the conceptual stages if that was the plan all along. There are plenty of ways to make an exciting arcade game if even the slightest creative effort was put forth. Also the boss that actually gets the bright idea to knock away your gun? He's some Jaws-wannabe and you just kick his ass with karate when that happens. This must be some kind of joke.

Also I lied. The easiest boss in arcade game history comes from this game but instead of Oddjob it's actually some tool in a JIM suit you fight in an underwater stage. In this one you don't even have to move, just position yourself above his retractable claw and fire away. Yep this is most definitely a joke.

At least this game is only 15 minutes long, but you can do so much better with that amount of time.
http://www.the-nextlevel.com/tnl/entries/458-Arcade-Appreciation-April-7-Sly-Spy

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Not properly ACAs, but anyone knows if Bad Dudes has been patched (missing special move etc.) and if Spy has any problems? Does the latter offer no blur w/ scanlines filter? And proper no stretched aspect ratio?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really tempted with 'Sly Spy'.

'Rolling Thunder' is one of my absolute favorite classic arcade games, and 'Sly Spy' seems to be heavily inspired in 'Rolling Thunder'.

But without the option of switching the dips to change the difficulty, I have the impression of being paying for incomplete versions of these games.

What a disgrace to have the superb catalogue of Data Eats in the hands of a company taking zero care in the preservation work.

I know, it is a shame. I wish The Data East games were part of ACA.

Sly Spy is fantastic.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
How so? Nothing to really change about the analog stick but in DK you can make it 4 way instead of 8 way by changing the gameplay settings.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I want to disable it completely because it drifts a bit, which is the absolute last thing anyone wants in DK.

Don't touch the stick then and you'll be fine really. The game's made for 4 way in mind so setting it to that will make it a lot less sensitive then, and it's better to control with it than the D buttons (though they help when using the Stage 1 bug in the old version)

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Hey SamSho V next week. It's not Special but okay. I'm guessing this means we might get KOF 2001, 2002 and Metal Slug 4 & 5.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I purchased "The Super Spy" today and its as good and repetive (lol) as I remembered it.
basicly punch-out! on rails with terrorists, knife and machine guns plus tons of oldschool scaling.
if you want something special, get it.
it's also the quasi predecessor of the beloved Crossed Swords neogeo game.

beware: no 2 player mode. also don't get frustrated of the unique controls. once you learn the enemies attack patterns, the gameplay gets surprisingly deep.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
6 new games coming soon:

- The King of Fighters '97
- Prehistoric Isle 2
- Metal Slug 4
- Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers
- Crossed Swords
- Football Frenzy

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/...-archives-neogeo-games-announced-for-nintendo

omg
Crossed Swords and Prehistoric Isle 2
with the upcoming exclusive SNK collection (which contains Prehistoric Isle 1) the switch will be the first console ever to have both shmups.

mobile arcade indeed

dodob19

May 3, 2018
City Connection by Jaleco is out on Arcade Archives for Switch and PS4. It's a bit nicer graphically and sound-wise than the Famicom/NES version, but I'm still a bit fonder of the squeakier NES music I grew up with. That said, I hope Hamster eventually brings all the Famicom classics in this form: Circus Charlie, Mappy, Front Line (this one is out for PS4/XBO already), Ye-Air Kung Fu...

Hamster has rights to classic IREM arcades, so Kung-Fu Master/Spartan X would be another NES classic that I'd group with the above. But the rest of my IREM wishlist is of much later: Gunforce 2, In The Hunt, Ninja Baseball Bat Man, R-Type/2/Leo.

Deleted member 26535

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I still do not know which mode I should play in Hi-Score mode to count in the rankings in Magical Drop III,

Does anyone know?

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I still do not know which mode I should play in Hi-Score mode to count in the rankings in Magical Drop III,

Does anyone know?

VS CPU since beating CPUS fast give tons of points. In MDII, it's the single player endless mode set at the highest difficulty (when playing normally) and it forces you into VS COM for the hi-score mode.

MattD

Nov 4, 2017
I only have four of these games, but they're fun. I'd like to collect them all eventually.

I'm thinking about getting a Neo Geo fighting game soon. There are a lot of those. Is Waku Waku 7 good to start with? I like how it looks.

Last edited:

Deleted member 26535

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No, you're locked in the chosen mode even if you beat it as it just ends the game
I am sorry, I am very dumb. -_-

Let me explain again:

When I choose the Hi Score mode (and after the Caravan rules are showed - I think they will not fix this bug) I can choose any of the modes:

Survival
Challenge
MagicalJourney

But the Hi Score bar in the right side do not specify which mode counts.

I thought that the Hi Score mode were fixed in just one mode, but it seems that I can play in any of them.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I need one person to say Crossed Swords is good and I'm gonna buy it. Looks like fun and I love the art style.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I need one person to say Crossed Swords is good and I'm gonna buy it. Looks like fun and I love the art style.

It's good fun and you won't regret your purchase. Crossed Sword is pretty special gameplay wise.
If you like it be sure to also grab "Super Spy", the spiritual predecessor of Crossed Sword. Same gameplay but set in modern times with guns and knifes instead of swords and shield. send hundrets of terrorist to hell.
X7d3xXl.gif

wANgFPD.gif

q8PTV8i.png

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
It's good fun and you won't regret your purchase. Crossed Sword is pretty special gameplay wise.
If you like it be sure to also grab "Super Spy", the spiritual predecessor of Crossed Sword. Same gameplay but set in modern times with guns and knifes instead of swords and shield. send hundrets of terrorist to hell.
X7d3xXl.gif

wANgFPD.gif

q8PTV8i.png
Thanks! It looked like an arcade-y mix of Punch-Out!! and Dragon Quest Swords, two series I love. I'll definitely check out Super Spy too.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I hope the Data East games will be successful enough to release the Vapor Trail trilogy on Switch, I'd really like to replay Skull Fang and the second game Wolf Fang also looks pretty dope.

Keep in mind these games are owned by a different company (Paon) than the one licensing old DE games to FTE (Gmode). Quick and dirty who owns what from Data East.

Paon: Windjammers, Karnov, Atomic Runner Chelnov, Glory of Heracles, Vapor Trail trilogy

Arc System Works: Jake Hunter

Kadokawa Shoten: Metal Max

D4 Enterprise: Robocop

Gmode: almost everything else

dodob19

May 3, 2018
Crossed Sword is great, and is the first game I used the save state system on. Haven't tried loading it up again but hopefully I'll be able to start where I left off.

Does the music and sound effects in Crossed Sword sound terribly scratchy to anyone else? I thought Hamster fixed their emulation sound issues in the latest releases.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Crossed Sword is great, and is the first game I used the save state system on. Haven't tried loading it up again but hopefully I'll be able to start where I left off.

Does the music and sound effects in Crossed Sword sound terribly scratchy to anyone else? I thought Hamster fixed their emulation sound issues in the latest releases.

I haven't yet tried it. will report back later.
keep in mind that save states depend on the region you played. i.e. if you played and saved the japanese version you need to fire up the japanese version to actually reload your save state.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Keep in mind these games are owned by a different company (Paon) than the one licensing old DE games to FTE (Gmode). Quick and dirty who owns what from Data East.

Paon: Windjammers, Karnov, Atomic Runner Chelnov, Glory of Heracles, Vapor Trail trilogy

Arc System Works: Jake Hunter

Kadokawa Shoten: Metal Max

D4 Enterprise: Robocop

Gmode: almost everything else

Midnight Resistance is the one we all want. I wonder the best way to do its controls on Switch.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I played some World Heroes Perfect with my buddy on switch to get finally better.
While I trained the desperation moves we came across Rasputins' and ...uhm... no...just no
8EaIBzN.gif

what the fuck

edit: it's actually FAR worse with sound. tons of godawful rape SFX (2:41 mark):

Apr 19, 2018
Any thoughts on the port quality of Samurai Shodown 2 and the Sengoku titles? Thinking of picking them all up in one swoop.

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
How is the input lag on NeoGeo games? Read some old comments that for example, Garou is pretty bad. Still an issue?

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Any thoughts on the port quality of Samurai Shodown 2 and the Sengoku titles? Thinking of picking them all up in one swoop.

The neogeo games are emulation which itself is pretty great. They had some issues in the early days but afaik they are pretty much all sorted out. I own SS1 andSengoku and both look and pkay great.
Btw: The Zerodiv classic switch games (strikers 1945, gunbird etc) are actual ports and not emulated.

How is the input lag on NeoGeo games? Read some old comments that for example, Garou is pretty bad. Still an issue?

I don't have Garou but in the neogeo games I own (around 25) I actually encountered very little lag, if any at all. And I play them A LOT.

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
The neogeo games are emulation which itself is pretty great. They had some issues in the early days but afaik they are pretty much all sorted out. I own SS1 andSengoku and both look and pkay great.
Btw: The Zerodiv classic switch games (strikers 1945, gunbird etc) are actual ports and not emulated.

I don't have Garou but in the neogeo games I own (around 25) I actually encountered very little lag, if any at all. And I play them A LOT.

Great, thanks!

Apr 19, 2018

Sounds good. I'll give em a go, then. Thank ya. =]

dodob19

May 3, 2018
[...]
I rarely see this mentioned in ACA NEOGEO discussions, but personally I'm still getting sound clipping in games, playing on the Switch in docked mode, specifically in all Samurai Shodown games.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ac...mega-pro-gear-spec.11645/page-10#post-7595770

Strangely the sound clipping is not present in Switch handheld mode, which almost leads me to believe it's my Switch HDMI-out sound setup. However, Switch video capture records clipped sound, so it could be an emulation bug. I'm tempted to buy a ACA NEOGEO title on PS4 to compare.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I rarely see this mentioned in ACA NEOGEO discussions, but personally I'm still getting sound clipping in games, playing on the Switch in docked mode, specifically in all Samurai Shodown games.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ac...mega-pro-gear-spec.11645/page-10#post-7595770

Strangely the sound clipping is not present in Switch handheld mode, which almost leads me to believe it's my Switch HDMI-out sound setup. However, Switch video capture records clipped sound, so it could be an emulation bug. I'm tempted to buy a ACA NEOGEO title on PS4 to compare.

I just watched your vids and i have never experienced such issue. It sounds more like a bad sound signal.
I will fire up samurai shodown and double check

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017

ok. I played Samurai Shodown and Sengoku now and listened extra closely. I couldn't hear any clipping at all. I guess it's rather your hardware. it's definitely not the emulation.
is it only in neogeo games?

dodob19

May 3, 2018
ok. I played Samurai Shodown and Sengoku now and listened extra closely. I couldn't hear any clipping at all. I guess it's rather your hardware. it's definitely not the emulation.
is it only in neogeo games?
Thanks for checking! Yes, for me it's only in ACA NEOGEO games, only in docked mode. Haven't heard clipping in other Switch games. I made sure my Switch sound setup is on Stereo. (I remember trying it in Mono and it still had clipping). The clipping is very evident in Samurai Shodown 1 for me, especially in the character select and Nakoruru's stage. With a reboot of the Switch, the sound might be OK for a round or two, but then it starts clipping. I don't think Hamster patched in video capture into SS1, I'll try it when I get home.

EDIT: Was just messing with SS1. I went into settings and reset all the graphics options, so by default: Size 160/100, Wallpaper On, Screen filter 00 (blurry filter, no scanlines), Display wider screen Off. I also reset game options for good measure. I tried 3 characters (3 rounds, 3 rounds, 4 rounds in). Every time the audio just hinted at breaking up, especially after a throw, I can hear a couple of sound effects breaking, but then the audio recovers.

Aerofighters 3: Resetting the game options and display options, then restarting the game, but the audio in the intro is still breaking up.

If it's a sound signal issue like you say, the video capture would not capture the audio difference. I can pull the Switch out of the dock and the intro to AF3 plays perfectly. As soon as I dock it, the audio pops and breaks.

Last edited:

dodob19

May 3, 2018

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Thanks for checking! Yes, for me it's only in ACA NEOGEO games, only in docked mode. Haven't heard clipping in other Switch games. I made sure my Switch sound setup is on Stereo. (I remember trying it in Mono and it still had clipping). The clipping is very evident in Samurai Shodown 1 for me, especially in the character select and Nakoruru's stage. With a reboot of the Switch, the sound might be OK for a round or two, but then it starts clipping. I don't think Hamster patched in video capture into SS1, I'll try it when I get home.

EDIT: Was just messing with SS1. I went into settings and reset all the graphics options, so by default: Size 160/100, Wallpaper On, Screen filter 00 (blurry filter, no scanlines), Display wider screen Off. I also reset game options for good measure. I tried 3 characters (3 rounds, 3 rounds, 4 rounds in). Every time the audio just hinted at breaking up, especially after a throw, I can hear a couple of sound effects breaking, but then the audio recovers.

Aerofighters 3: Resetting the game options and display options, then restarting the game, but the audio in the intro is still breaking up.

If it's a sound signal issue like you say, the video capture would not capture the audio difference. I can pull the Switch out of the dock and the intro to AF3 plays perfectly. As soon as I dock it, the audio pops and breaks.

Audio popping and breaking: Some games have no issue, some have the issue intermittently, and some are really bad. Aerofighters 3 in particular is very evident. I found some YouTube gameplay videos of ACA NEOGEO AEROFIGHTERS 3 playing on the Switch. They exhibit audio popping and breaking in the intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVc-qlGGN5Y&t=47s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2Tta1oPFIM&t=45s

The intro is not supposed to sound that way.

this is really strange. its almost like you downloaded a "faulty" game ( I don't know if thats even possible). If I were you I would completely delete (game itself, savestates etc) the affected games and redownload them

dodob19

May 3, 2018
this is really strange. its almost like you downloaded a "faulty" game ( I don't know if thats even possible). If I were you I would completely delete (game itself, savestates etc) the affected games and redownload them
That is INSANE... it worked (sort of, see below)! Deleting ACA NEOGEO Aero Fighters 3, and all its save data, then re-downloading the game from the eShop worked. No audio skips/pops in the intro music.

If I jump to the Switch home menu, then back to the game, I can get the intro music to start popping and cracking. The longer the intro loops, the more the audio pops. Yeah, from the time I started this post (0 popping) to now, the audio is starting to skip really badly. Even the Neo Geo intro screen sounds slightly garbled. The intro sounds pretty awful now.

The audio recovered itself by the fifth loop. And by the seventh loop it starts cracking again.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
That is INSANE... it worked (sort of, see below)! Deleting ACA NEOGEO Aero Fighters 3, and all its save data, then re-downloading the game from the eShop worked. No audio skips/pops in the intro music.

If I jump to the Switch home menu, then back to the game, I can get the intro music to start popping and cracking. The longer the intro loops, the more the audio pops. Yeah, from the time I started this post (0 popping) to now, the audio is starting to skip really badly. Even the Neo Geo intro screen sounds slightly garbled. The intro sounds pretty awful now.

The audio recovered itself by the fifth loop. And by the seventh loop it starts cracking again.

If the game only does this in docked mode, it's probably related with a faulty HDMI cable or even a broken HDMI port.

I have never experienced a similar thing in an ACA Neo Geo release.

Also, try to reboot your Switch by taking the console of the dock, and pushing the power button a couple of seconds until the option of turn off and restart appear in the screen.

But the most common thing is a faulty HDMI cable.

dodob19

May 3, 2018
If the game only does this in docked mode, it's probably related with a faulty HDMI cable or even a broken HDMI port.

I have never experienced a similar thing in an ACA Neo Geo release.

Also, try to reboot your Switch by taking the console of the dock, and pushing the power button a couple of seconds until the option of turn off and restart appear in the screen.

But the most common thing is a faulty HDMI cable.
Didn't think of that. I'm using the HDMI cable that came with the Switch. Just tried a generic HDMI 1.4 one and the SNES Classic HDMI cable, and the problem persists. I've tried my Switch with its dock on 4-5 different TVs in the last few months, so it's either my dock or my Switch. This happens only on ACA NEOGEO titles, does not happen with any of the other Switch games I have.

But if it's a faulty HDMI cable or port, what are the chances software capture also captures the audio popping?

I only have one friend IRL who has a Switch, and he refuses to buy anything resembling pixel graphics. Amazon doesn't have ACA NEOGEO download codes does it?

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Didn't think of that. I'm using the HDMI cable that came with the Switch. Just tried a generic HDMI 1.4 one and the SNES Classic HDMI cable, and the problem persists. I've tried my Switch with its dock on 4-5 different TVs in the last few months, so it's either my dock or my Switch. This happens only on ACA NEOGEO titles, does not happen with any of the other Switch games I have.

But if it's a faulty HDMI cable or port, what are the chances software capture also captures the audio popping?

I only have one friend IRL who has a Switch, and he refuses to buy anything resembling pixel graphics. Amazon doesn't have ACA NEOGEO download codes does it?

I cannot see it being a hardware issue when it only happens in Neogeo games. That wouldn't make any sense.
Do you experience the sound problems ins every Neogeo game? How many do you own?

This reminds me actually of one of the first PC snes emulators I have tried running on my ancient laptop (probably 20 years ago or so).
I had to manually compile every game into the emulator and then start the game. When I ran out of ram, sound issues similar to yours were (afair) the first signs.

I tend to believe that something with the neogeo emulator in your affected switch neogeo games is screwed up. but you tried redownloading so...yeah I'm running out of ideas.

is it only a sound problem or did you experience graphical/performance issues too? (like framerate issues,frameskippin etc)

Last edited:

dodob19

May 3, 2018
No problems with framerate. Games are very playable and I don't notice any input lag.

I have about a dozen ACA NEOGEO games and around double that in other Switch games, purchased via the eShop. So far for me only ACA NEOGEO games suffer from sound cracking/popping, and some titles do it more than others. There are a few where the audio seems okay, like Metal Slug 3. I'm using a 200GB Sandisk Ultra microSD. I'll try re-downloading and launching the games from internal memory later tonight.
EDIT: Downloading to internal memory and playing without an SD card exhibits the same problem.

Now that you mention it, the audio popping and cracking reminds me of a certain bad version of hakchi2 that used a compressed usleep executable. The SNES Mini processor was not fast enough so the audio in more processor intensive games such as Yoshi's Island's Super FX emulation would pop and crack, especially when 3D effects kicked in. The Switch is obviously powerful enough for Neogeo emulation, but I'm leaning towards something buggy in the emulator when it's docked. Something is causing the audio buffer to be starved for data.

Last edited: